#1 Edited by csl316 (8928 posts) -

Well, seeing as Jeff linked to the stream and it's part of the CBSi family and there was an active GB chat, I figured a bunch of people may have tuned into Gamespot's new show, The Lobby.

I just started up the archive and here are my initial impressions:

- Danny is an awesome host

- This is sort of On the Spot crossed with Professional Tuesdays

- It seems like a good way for Gamespot to get their editors in one place and introduce infrequent visitors like me to their staff.

What are your thoughts on The Lobby??

Edit: And here's week #2.

Final Edit: Week 3 with Jeff!

#2 Posted by BigJeffrey (5071 posts) -

I saw like 5 minutes of it, Danny was alright that's pretty much it

#3 Posted by Chop (1999 posts) -

God damn did Danny turn on the sarcastic snark for it

#4 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

I unexpectedly really enjoyed what I saw of it! Danny was a great host, and that girl who did the weekly forecast seemed unique and pretty funny. GDC guest was interesting as well.

#5 Edited by csl316 (8928 posts) -

I just like how Gamespot's process is to create a new show with a specific set, theme song, and intro.

While GB's is like.... we're gonna look at puppies, I dunno!

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@chop said:

God damn did Danny turn on the sarcastic snark for it

Is there a "worried expression" emoticon?

#7 Posted by mosespippy (4278 posts) -

Parts of it were good, parts of it were awful. I might watch it again. The weather forecast bit was terrible. Danny's chair is pretty wanky. That table is pretty rad. Danny is a good host. The interviews with people from outside of the company is good. The part where they just played PvZ a bunch was boring.

#8 Edited by Arach666 (73 posts) -

Just watched it,it was actually a pretty great show,gamespot is in the right path.

#9 Posted by csl316 (8928 posts) -

@arach666 said:

Just watched it,it was actually a pretty great show,gamespot are in the right path.

Agreed, I enjoyed it, too. It flowed well, the production was great, the people on it were likeable, and it seemed prepared but not overly scripted. And again, Danny was a good host with a solid mix of keeping it moving, making dumb jokes, and talking about deep cuts like that Nerf game. I'll check it out next time.

#10 Edited by Tajasaurus (893 posts) -

I really want that table

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (7515 posts) -

Table-kun.

#12 Posted by Wilshere (324 posts) -

@csl316 said:

I just like how Gamespot's process is to create a new show with a specific set, theme song, and intro.

While GB's is like.... we're gonna look at puppies, I dunno!

GS has the budget for it. I still prefer Giant Bombs fast and loose style, nobody else does it like them.

#13 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4621 posts) -

I was super tired today so I only caught part of it, but I enjoyed it. Everybody did a good job. Danny is a great host. I hope it does well and they stick with it.

#14 Posted by themangalist (1739 posts) -

THEY HAVE A SUIT OF POWER ARMOR! OH GOD IM GONNA FAIN

#15 Edited by CaLe (4018 posts) -

It was surprisingly good. I don't really visit GameSpot but this was good enough to make me at least consider freeing up some time on Tuesdays to catch the show. I know everyone loves Danny, and I agree he's great, but sometimes the rest of the guys get a lot of undeserved flak. They all do a great job imo. They just do it in a different way than the GB guys, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

#16 Edited by Nodima (1239 posts) -

The only things I didn't like were the interview with the Path of Exile guys (it's becoming increasingly hard to excuse robotic gameplay demos) and the first couple minutes of the gaming forecast when it was impossible to tell whether the show's producer was twice as stoned as I was or just incredibly annoying. She turned it around by the end although a certain deer in the headlights look lingered throughout, hopefully just nerves over producing AND appearing on the show.

Otherwise, it was better than expected. The production value was sort of hilarious; they should give up on those moving cameras, it's distracting.

Also, it was kind of incredible that two Mixlr regulars won the very first prizes. More Giant Bomb in your Gamespot!

#17 Posted by Humanity (9565 posts) -

I was kinda hoping they acknowledge On the Spot in some way at the beginning.

#18 Posted by SomberOwl (693 posts) -

I liked it

#19 Edited by Pr1mus (3949 posts) -

The parts with Danny were great because Danny is great but you can't change the rest of the gamespot folks and i just really don't care one bit for any of them. This isn't changing that.

Actually i guess i care about Kevin VanOrd too but i didn't watch the whole thing to see if he was there or not.

#20 Edited by Nightriff (5141 posts) -

I didn't really care for it.

#21 Posted by 49th (2783 posts) -

The L logo reminds me of Luigi.

#22 Posted by jkz (4039 posts) -

Sean and Danny are good hosts and play off each other pretty well, I feel. Also I still like Kevin Van Ord, so it was cool he showed up.

May check it out again, we'll see. I tend to fall off of video-game-content (that isn't GB stuff) pretty quickly.

#23 Edited by csl316 (8928 posts) -

Just wanted to bump this for week 2, if anyone missed it (I won't do additional bumps). The Lobby is Gamespot's new variety show.

And yes, I still feel like Danny walked into a long-standing institution and hijacked the damn thing. In a good way!

Danny's hijacking face. Not a random screengrab, someone angered the Irishman.

#24 Posted by BeachThunder (12082 posts) -

Was this week's streamed on GB?

#25 Posted by RazielCuts (2971 posts) -

@csl316: I think you should do additional bumps as I totally forgot about it this week after catching some of it last week and seeing the awesome trailer they made. I'm down for some GB/GS crossover, I like some of the guys over there although I haven't properly been on GS in years. This could be an 'official' thread of sorts?

#26 Posted by Aegon (5701 posts) -

The Titanfall interview with Vince Zampella was so fucking awkward. Danny asked a few honest questions and Vince was obviously not going to be straight, but Danny kept asking those kinds of questions and I was cringing at Zampella's reactions. Damn.

#27 Posted by csl316 (8928 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

@csl316: I think you should do additional bumps as I totally forgot about it this week after catching some of it last week and seeing the awesome trailer they made. I'm down for some GB/GS crossover, I like some of the guys over there although I haven't properly been on GS in years. This could be an 'official' thread of sorts?

I dunno, official threads require commitment.

Crossover is always cool, and I'm only 10 minutes in so I'm curious if any special guests show up.

I can say that this is the most Giant Bomby show GS has done in recent years, but it still has its own flavor with the production and such.

#28 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (467 posts) -

@csl316 said:

@razielcuts said:

I dunno, official threads require commitment.

Crossover is always cool, and I'm only 10 minutes in so I'm curious if any special guests show up.

I can say that this is the most Giant Bomby show GS has done in recent years, but it still has its own flavor with the production and such.

It's funny that you would call it "Giant Bomb-y" because it most resembles On the Spot which was produced and hosted by several of the GB staff. I don't think it really plays like any of the current GB shows, to me it's basically a re-branding of On the Spot, which is great.

And the Dark Souls 2 footage this week KILLED me. That was the most I had seen of the game and it's looking fucking stupendous.

#29 Posted by csl316 (8928 posts) -

@rockyraccoon37: It does look good.

I think Jeff's original tweet mentioned a comparison to On the Spot, so I got right on that.

#30 Posted by Matt_F606 (316 posts) -

It's cool in spots.

Also did anyone notice Jeff's brief cameo in last weeks "The Point"... also an O'dwyer joint.

#31 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1140 posts) -

@aegon said:

The Titanfall interview with Vince Zampella was so fucking awkward. Danny asked a few honest questions and Vince was obviously not going to be straight, but Danny kept asking those kinds of questions and I was cringing at Zampella's reactions. Damn.

It's because Zampella is a fraud and EA-(partnered) game devs have a holier-than-thou attitude nowadays. I loved Danny asking the hard-hitting questions and not giving up.

#32 Edited by tread311 (357 posts) -

Making Danny O'Dwyer the face of that site is the best move they can make.

#33 Posted by Mendelson9 (405 posts) -

Danny is great. Glad that site has an On the Spot show again.

#34 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1140 posts) -
#35 Posted by Nodima (1239 posts) -

I dig it though I might never remember to catch it live. It's still a little too heavily produced for my tastes, though I appreciate Danny's unwillingness to accept that as a hard and fast truth with his questions whether it's co-worker Kev VO or relative stranger Vince Zampella.

They really need to figure something else out for their weekly forecast though. Mary Kish didn't come on trying to pretend she was Mary Kush this time, but she still comes off like the girls I used to write script for in high school television class. She has charm and she's producing a good show so I don't doubt her talent, but she seems unsuited for a live stream where her flat jokes can't be edited around.

#36 Posted by futurstock (146 posts) -

ive only seen these dudes on giantbomb.com but im happy for them!
the set looks great, i watched the intro they seem stoked, looks professional! (camera cuts mid sentence)

#37 Edited by csl316 (8928 posts) -

Sorry guys, one final bump despite last week being the final bump.

Reason being that Jeff "Gertzmin" Gerstmann made a Titanfall appearance!

Danny's mention on Alt+F1 successfully got me to track down today's archive.