Gamespot's The Lobby

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By csl316

Well, seeing as Jeff linked to the stream and it's part of the CBSi family and there was an active GB chat, I figured a bunch of people may have tuned into Gamespot's new show, The Lobby.

I just started up the archive and here are my initial impressions:

- Danny is an awesome host

- This is sort of On the Spot crossed with Professional Tuesdays

- It seems like a good way for Gamespot to get their editors in one place and introduce infrequent visitors like me to their staff.

What are your thoughts on The Lobby??

Edit: And here's week #2.

Final Edit: Week 3 with Jeff!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I saw like 5 minutes of it, Danny was alright that's pretty much it

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn did Danny turn on the sarcastic snark for it

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I unexpectedly really enjoyed what I saw of it! Danny was a great host, and that girl who did the weekly forecast seemed unique and pretty funny. GDC guest was interesting as well.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By csl316

I just like how Gamespot's process is to create a new show with a specific set, theme song, and intro.

While GB's is like.... we're gonna look at puppies, I dunno!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@chop said:

God damn did Danny turn on the sarcastic snark for it

Is there a "worried expression" emoticon?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Parts of it were good, parts of it were awful. I might watch it again. The weather forecast bit was terrible. Danny's chair is pretty wanky. That table is pretty rad. Danny is a good host. The interviews with people from outside of the company is good. The part where they just played PvZ a bunch was boring.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Arach666

Just watched it,it was actually a pretty great show,gamespot is in the right path.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arach666 said:

Just watched it,it was actually a pretty great show,gamespot are in the right path.

Agreed, I enjoyed it, too. It flowed well, the production was great, the people on it were likeable, and it seemed prepared but not overly scripted. And again, Danny was a good host with a solid mix of keeping it moving, making dumb jokes, and talking about deep cuts like that Nerf game. I'll check it out next time.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By newmoneytrash

I really want that table

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Table-kun.

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I just like how Gamespot's process is to create a new show with a specific set, theme song, and intro.

While GB's is like.... we're gonna look at puppies, I dunno!

GS has the budget for it. I still prefer Giant Bombs fast and loose style, nobody else does it like them.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I was super tired today so I only caught part of it, but I enjoyed it. Everybody did a good job. Danny is a great host. I hope it does well and they stick with it.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THEY HAVE A SUIT OF POWER ARMOR! OH GOD IM GONNA FAIN

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaLe

It was surprisingly good. I don't really visit GameSpot but this was good enough to make me at least consider freeing up some time on Tuesdays to catch the show. I know everyone loves Danny, and I agree he's great, but sometimes the rest of the guys get a lot of undeserved flak. They all do a great job imo. They just do it in a different way than the GB guys, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Nodima

The only things I didn't like were the interview with the Path of Exile guys (it's becoming increasingly hard to excuse robotic gameplay demos) and the first couple minutes of the gaming forecast when it was impossible to tell whether the show's producer was twice as stoned as I was or just incredibly annoying. She turned it around by the end although a certain deer in the headlights look lingered throughout, hopefully just nerves over producing AND appearing on the show.

Otherwise, it was better than expected. The production value was sort of hilarious; they should give up on those moving cameras, it's distracting.

Also, it was kind of incredible that two Mixlr regulars won the very first prizes. More Giant Bomb in your Gamespot!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I was kinda hoping they acknowledge On the Spot in some way at the beginning.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pr1mus

The parts with Danny were great because Danny is great but you can't change the rest of the gamespot folks and i just really don't care one bit for any of them. This isn't changing that.

Actually i guess i care about Kevin VanOrd too but i didn't watch the whole thing to see if he was there or not.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By nightriff

I didn't really care for it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The L logo reminds me of Luigi.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Sean and Danny are good hosts and play off each other pretty well, I feel. Also I still like Kevin Van Ord, so it was cool he showed up.

May check it out again, we'll see. I tend to fall off of video-game-content (that isn't GB stuff) pretty quickly.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By csl316

Just wanted to bump this for week 2, if anyone missed it (I won't do additional bumps). The Lobby is Gamespot's new variety show.

And yes, I still feel like Danny walked into a long-standing institution and hijacked the damn thing. In a good way!

Danny's hijacking face.  Not a random screengrab, someone angered the Irishman.
Danny's hijacking face. Not a random screengrab, someone angered the Irishman.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Was this week's streamed on GB?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: I think you should do additional bumps as I totally forgot about it this week after catching some of it last week and seeing the awesome trailer they made. I'm down for some GB/GS crossover, I like some of the guys over there although I haven't properly been on GS in years. This could be an 'official' thread of sorts?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Titanfall interview with Vince Zampella was so fucking awkward. Danny asked a few honest questions and Vince was obviously not going to be straight, but Danny kept asking those kinds of questions and I was cringing at Zampella's reactions. Damn.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts said:

@csl316: I think you should do additional bumps as I totally forgot about it this week after catching some of it last week and seeing the awesome trailer they made. I'm down for some GB/GS crossover, I like some of the guys over there although I haven't properly been on GS in years. This could be an 'official' thread of sorts?

I dunno, official threads require commitment.

Crossover is always cool, and I'm only 10 minutes in so I'm curious if any special guests show up.

I can say that this is the most Giant Bomby show GS has done in recent years, but it still has its own flavor with the production and such.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@csl316 said:

@razielcuts said:

I dunno, official threads require commitment.

Crossover is always cool, and I'm only 10 minutes in so I'm curious if any special guests show up.

I can say that this is the most Giant Bomby show GS has done in recent years, but it still has its own flavor with the production and such.

It's funny that you would call it "Giant Bomb-y" because it most resembles On the Spot which was produced and hosted by several of the GB staff. I don't think it really plays like any of the current GB shows, to me it's basically a re-branding of On the Spot, which is great.

And the Dark Souls 2 footage this week KILLED me. That was the most I had seen of the game and it's looking fucking stupendous.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rockyraccoon37: It does look good.

I think Jeff's original tweet mentioned a comparison to On the Spot, so I got right on that.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool in spots.

Also did anyone notice Jeff's brief cameo in last weeks "The Point"... also an O'dwyer joint.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@aegon said:

The Titanfall interview with Vince Zampella was so fucking awkward. Danny asked a few honest questions and Vince was obviously not going to be straight, but Danny kept asking those kinds of questions and I was cringing at Zampella's reactions. Damn.

It's because Zampella is a fraud and EA-(partnered) game devs have a holier-than-thou attitude nowadays. I loved Danny asking the hard-hitting questions and not giving up.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By tread311

Making Danny O'Dwyer the face of that site is the best move they can make.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Danny is great. Glad that site has an On the Spot show again.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I dig it though I might never remember to catch it live. It's still a little too heavily produced for my tastes, though I appreciate Danny's unwillingness to accept that as a hard and fast truth with his questions whether it's co-worker Kev VO or relative stranger Vince Zampella.

They really need to figure something else out for their weekly forecast though. Mary Kish didn't come on trying to pretend she was Mary Kush this time, but she still comes off like the girls I used to write script for in high school television class. She has charm and she's producing a good show so I don't doubt her talent, but she seems unsuited for a live stream where her flat jokes can't be edited around.

futurstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive only seen these dudes on giantbomb.com but im happy for them!
the set looks great, i watched the intro they seem stoked, looks professional! (camera cuts mid sentence)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By csl316

Sorry guys, one final bump despite last week being the final bump.

Reason being that Jeff "Gertzmin" Gerstmann made a Titanfall appearance!

Danny's mention on Alt+F1 successfully got me to track down today's archive.