#1 Posted by zkilla (139 posts) -

It's Demons Soul's What do you think? I personally don't have any interest in the game and I honestly think it is the weirdest GOTY anybody has ever picked
#2 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Who cares

#3 Posted by End_Boss (3219 posts) -

That's surprising and... Totally nonsensical. Of all the games to pick this year...

#4 Posted by leky1 (829 posts) -
@girdz said:
" Who cares "
#5 Posted by dbz1995 (4786 posts) -

What? I think Demon's Souls deserves some recognition-maybe its just because the Gamespot staff want to be more surprising. Hell, if it makes Demon's Souls become more famous it is great. That game is real good.

#6 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

Gamespot is garbage.

#7 Posted by AjayRaz (12387 posts) -
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game 
#8 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I know Demon's Souls is pretty good but I wasn't under the impression it was that good.

#9 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact. 
 
Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer.
#10 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
I agree sir.
#11 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right.
#12 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

Well we know it won't win Giantbomb's GOTY.

#13 Edited by xyzygy (9606 posts) -

Very impressed with Gamespot right now! The game deserved it. I'm also glad they didn't recognize Uncharted 2 like every one and their grandmother.  
 
Why? This award may show the Japanese that yes, we do appreciate when they (companies like Atlus) go above and beyond to import such niche games. When all western games win the awards, the Japanese might feel like their efforts were for naught. 
 
It's really great when such a small studio like From Software wins a GOTY. 

#14 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am.
#15 Posted by r0k1ll (380 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am. "
I think we should make this quote longer than it already is.
#16 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@r0k1ll said:
" @demontium said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am. "
I think we should make this quote longer than it already is. "
It depends on how many people respond to this response.
#17 Posted by Kibblez (702 posts) -

I'm like Jeff with this game. I kinda dig where's it coming from but I don't feel like ever trying it. Maybe one day..

#18 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

It's definitely the game that deserves to win - innovation, challenge, rejects the norm, yet damn near perfect in terms of control & gameplay.  The game doesn't get by on story or graphics, it succeeds on gameplay, and that's what games are supposed to be about!  It's also the kind of game that will have a lot of people ignoring it because it's not advertised, it's only on a single platform, doesn't pull any cheap tactics like big name celebs or sex appeal, doesn't have any name recognition...
 
Personally I think the game is fantastic and deserves the GOTY, yet I wouldn't call it my true favorite game of 2009.  Kudos on Gamespot for fostering the industry with a choice like this, although it's as likely to give them extra hits as anything else.

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

Then I commend GameSpot for their choice.

#20 Posted by toast_burner (453 posts) -

my respect for gamespot +1 
total respect -9
#21 Posted by ADTR_ZERO (1060 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @r0k1ll said:
" @demontium said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am. "
I think we should make this quote longer than it already is. "
It depends on how many people respond to this response. "
#22 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

An interesting choice, I must say.  I was thinking Uncharted 2 was a shoo-in.

#23 Posted by toast_burner (453 posts) -
@End_Boss said:
"That's surprising and... Totally nonsensical. Of all the games to pick this year... "

yeah out of all the games this year who would have thought they would pick the best one.  
complete nonsense
#24 Posted by Yummylee (20541 posts) -

Say whaaaa??? =O Yeah didn't see that coming, I expected Uncharted 2 to take the prize truthfully. Good for Demon's Souls though, its not my personal choice but there were worser nominees.    
#25 Posted by Solarus (269 posts) -

That's more than just a little bit shocking. I mean, Demon's Souls is a great game and all, but... GOTY? Maybe they're trying to be different because every publication and their mom is giving GOTY to Uncharted 2 (although well deserved, imo).
 
A silver lining though, is that MW2 didn't even get nominated in the top 10 for both the Editor and reader votes. I found that amusing, and it gives me hope in GS to not just rely in the popularity of a game.

#26 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

kinda weird. 
 
Props for Gamespot for even considering this game in the GOTY running b ut it would have deserved sleeper goty, or most innovative game awards. 
This award will mostly make people talk about Gamespot a lot and give some more cred to Demon Souls.  
The only thig that bothers me is knowing that all this will amount to a lot of people buying this game, playing it for 3 hours and then deciding that it is not for them. 
This game is not for everyone, a lot of sites didn't even review it ! 
 
I guess in a world where the gaming market leader is the Wii, sales matter more than people having fun and enjoying games. Then props are in order for FROM SOFTWARE.
#27 Posted by Dalai (6871 posts) -

An outside of the box pick. I can accept that, but that wouldn't be my GOTY.

#28 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

Good for it. I haven't played it yet, but I'm definitely picking it up soon. Seems like something I could leave aside for a day off, spend the day hacking my way through a level or so. 

#29 Posted by XxBarretxX (308 posts) -

I lol at the people who are shrugging of gamespot for there choice, yes it is a matter of opinion but the game is amazing and deserves a nominee and the win. 

#30 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

Lame.  It should have been Street Fighter IV.

#31 Posted by punkxblaze (2877 posts) -

Everyone knows GOTY should be Cryostasis.

#32 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

A very flawed game but can't really take away a site's opinion even if said site doesn't hold the merit it once did.

#33 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

Gamespot gives a bad game a good score people flip out. Gamespot gives an "under spreciated game" a good score/GOTY and people flip out. Gamespot gives a none main stream game GOTY and people flip out. 
 
Gamespot does anything people flip out.

#34 Posted by JoshLarson (68 posts) -

My hat is off to the editors and reviewers at Gamespot on this choice. It is good to see a high quality, niche title win GOTY from a site that plays all genres, as opposed to certain unnamed sites who shun sports game and most traditional RPGs.
#35 Posted by skippyscissors (384 posts) -

Well... that's surprising.

#36 Posted by Soap (3528 posts) -

I can't believe that it got chosen to be honest.
 
Sure it's a great game, but GOTY material should be something that changed the face of gaming that year, or came as close as it will do that year.
 
Hence... Uncharted 2

#37 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

Good to see Atlus and From Software get that award. The game is great.

#38 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -

I heard it was a good game. It was Greg Kasavin's #2 game of the year. I wouldn't mind playing Demon's Souls, but unfortunately I missed out on that limited edition version that came with that guide.

#39 Posted by spidy333 (44 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" Gamespot gives a bad game a good score people flip out. Gamespot gives an "under spreciated game" a good score/GOTY and people flip out. Gamespot gives a none main stream game GOTY and people flip out.   Gamespot does anything people flip out. "
So true. People hate GS for no reason.
#40 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

I am sure half of the people judging this pick have yet to play Demon's Souls, much like myself. I will pick it up after Christmas now to see what the hype is about and, first of all, it doesn't seem like my type of game. But for many, it definitely is and the Gamespot Game of the Year choice is left-field but still relevant.

#41 Posted by shulinchung (181 posts) -
@JoshLarson said:

"My hat is off to the editors and reviewers at Gamespot on this choice. It is good to see a high quality, niche title win GOTY from a site that plays all genres, as opposed to certain unnamed sites who shun sports game and most traditional RPGs. "


Agreed. 
 
And these certain unnamed sites think that James Cameron's Avatar: The GameRogue Warrior, and WWE are more significant thus wrote reviews for them but didn't bother doing so for Demon's Souls. lol
#42 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Demon souls is an interesting choice, not what I was expecting. I didn't like Demon Souls in the end but I can definatey see where people were coming from in their like for it. Still I am not so sure about how it could be a GoTY. But hey like it's already been said. Gamespot's opinion isn't wrong because it's an opinion.

#43 Posted by Jimbo (9708 posts) -

Pretty interesting choice.  You'd think a site like Gamespot would be worried about undermining the credibility of their review scores.  Note that I don't think it does necessarily; I would just have expected them to go out of their way to avoid a situation where a lower scoring game beats a higher scoring game to GOTY.

#44 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

I'm definitely getting a sense of "Oh man, we're sooooo crazy for picking this game you may not have even heard of as GotY, come check out our site, dawgs!" You could argue the countless sites going with Uncharted are equally annoying though. So I'm not really sure what to think.

#45 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -

Like lots have said before - it's all opinion, so for one, it doesn't matter really if you agree or disagree, it can't be right or wrong. 
 
Although I agree. Demons Souls is AMAZING and I can't think of any games better right now.
#46 Posted by Dany (7886 posts) -
@JoshLarson said:
" My hat is off to the editors and reviewers at Gamespot on this choice. It is good to see a high quality, niche title win GOTY from a site that plays all genres, as opposed to certain unnamed sites who shun sports game and most traditional RPGs. "
These unnamed sites do not like sports game and tend to not....'play' traditional RPG. This is not the site for those asking for everything to be covered or even the basics. These are 4 dudes in a basement and with that they cover what they like and what 90% of the audience is going to like. Sites like IGN and gamespot hold a firmer ground since they are able to hold those games and give them a fair shake since they have people and resources to do that. With 4 people, we are left with some 'animosity' but we can't hold this unnamed site to the standards of larger ones like ign or gamespot.
#47 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -
@ADTR_ZERO said:
" @demontium said:
" @r0k1ll said:
" @demontium said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" @demontium said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @MiamiRedHawks said:
" Gamespot is garbage. "
this. though demons souls is quite the awesome game  "
Do not totally throw their opinion out, GotY is a personal decision, not fact.  Although Gamespot is indeed garbage, they are still correct in choosing that game, not only because it is very good, but because there is no right or wrong answer. "
Yeah, your right. "
As I always am. "
I think we should make this quote longer than it already is. "
It depends on how many people respond to this response. "
"
Can I poop on your chest?
#48 Posted by ez123 (1901 posts) -

Gamespot? Who gives a fuck? It's not gonna win anything on GiantBomb, that's for sure.

#49 Posted by Slab64 (1036 posts) -
Gamespot said:
"Demon's Souls GOTY!"
Dude, what
#50 Posted by THE_END (466 posts) -
@zkilla: Demon's Souls is a almost a worthy game.  It made #2 on my top 10 of 09 list.  However, I do not see how it is possible for Demon's Souls to win GOTY when Dragon Age Origins is VASTLY superior.