#1 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Hey there guys, everything in this topic is PC related.

The last time I saw Gamespy being used for online gaming was back when I was still playing the first Star Wars: Battlefront. I remember having tonnes of issues with latency and random disconnections. It was so bad that I couldn't sit in the gunner seat of any tank, the camera was just violently warping all over the place at 3 fps and I couldn't see shit. 

When I heard that this shitty service was coming to Crysis 2, I was absolutely appalled. How could anyone think this is a good idea? So great was my disgust that I didn't download the demo until yesterday, when my curiosity finally got the better of me. Then I started playing... 

• Server browser is absolute shit, no filters, no nothing.
  • It is incapable of displaying accurate ping information, it just says 0 for everything, even for US servers (I'm in The Netherlands).
  • It always says that servers are full, even when they are clearly not. Saw a server that was 6/12 for 5 minutes.
  • No refresh button?
  • The server names keep jumping around all over the place, periodically disappearing completely, making it difficult to double-click on anything.
  • When you finally manage to get into a lobby they often lack a countdown timer, meaning that you just sit there in the lobby for all eternity without getting into any games.
  • If you finally manage to get into a game you often experience random disconnect issues.
  • When you are disconnected you are automatically logged out of your account.

So yeah, right now I've tried to join around a hundred games and have only completed 3-4 rounds. It's worth pointing out that once I got into a game I experienced absolutely no lag, just random disconnects. Now I realise that at least a few of these issues are Crytek's own damn fault, but surely not all of them.

What say you GB community?
#2 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I like the multiplayer demo but knowing that gamespy will be supporting that part of the game I'm not buying it. Gamespy in 2011. What a joke.

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

all i remember about Gamespy is that i used to see it with the games i played around 1997-2000 when i was 6-9 and the name "game SPY" along with the green man in the logo used to scare me 

and since then i never saw it again.. i see it when i install BF2 but i hit the "skip installation" button (gamespy setup)

#4 Posted by Forcen (1809 posts) -

It does have a refresh button and filters.

#5 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

I think it's a shame that Crytek chose to incorporate Gamespy in Crysis 2, since when you finally get into a game that is relatively lag-free, it's a great game. 
Getting to those good parts is a hassle though, and that's not fun in anyway, and it's a great way to turn people off from your game before they've even played it...

Something that I'm glad I haven't experienced yet, is disconnect issues when I'm in a game, so I can stand going through a flawed server browser once or twice every time I want to play the game.

#6 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

F*** gamespy...no,no,just f*** it.
But honestly i didn't get Crysis for the multiplayer feature.

#7 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

Gamespy SUCKS. They never made a good online service ever.

#8 Posted by MachoFantastico (4588 posts) -

You've just reminded me that GameSpy still exists, thought folks stopped using it years ago. 

#9 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent: It's like a horror movie villain. No matter how many times you kill it, it keeps coming back for more.
#10 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Here's how my time with the Crysis 2 demo went: Boot it up, realize I need to make a GameSpy account, quit and uninstall demo. Just fucking terrible.

#11 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Gamespy?  What is this, 2003?  I remember using it to play Civilization 3 online.

#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10277 posts) -

Maaan GameSpy, I remember that shit.  

Why is anyone in their right mind using it. GameSpy is terrible, it's cooked up enough bad-will towards the name that I don't even visit their review site. 

#13 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

I want Valve to buy them out so we don't have to deal with them anymore.

#14 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

wow i forgot about gamespy. i remember seeing their name in battlefield 2 and most games from 2000ish. i do remember having problems with the servers while playing battlefield. i remember i kept on getting disconnected when trying to get onto a game. when the game first came out i couldn't play on ranked server matches for some reason. pretty bad thinking about it.

#15 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Gamespy is pretty horrible. 

That's one of the reasons why Borderlands is almost vacant of open multiplayer lobbies.

#16 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" Here's how my time with the Crysis 2 demo went: Boot it up, realize I need to make a GameSpy account, quit and uninstall demo. Just fucking terrible. "  
Literally just did this myself.

@TrueEnglishGent
said:

" You've just reminded me that GameSpy still exists, thought folks stopped using it years ago.  "