GamesRadar has posted their GOTY 2014 awards.

• 91 results
SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh my god... I think the world is about to end. Regardless, video games are definitely over. Pack it up, people. Like how did that even happen? People's opinions are weird...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

Man a different page for every item on the list? Getting a little greedy for those Google ads..

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

Yep, that is a silly number one. Put it in the top 10 if you must, but putting it at number 1 is nuts when it has a completely unengaging story with basically no significant characters, and very poor mission variety. Even if you really like everything else about it (how the shooting feels, the art, etc.), those are two pretty major fuckups that immediately disqualify it in my mind from being anywhere close to the top.

Also, they put Child of Light a couple places ahead of Shovel Knight, AND THAT IS CATEGORICALLY FALSE. I liked Child of Light more than most, but I still think it kinda drags and its basic gameplay gets pretty dull after a while, whereas Shovel Knight is superb throughout.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

PT being on the list is laughable. I think Alien is the only one I roughly agree with relative to it's placement. Destiny is a perfectly competent shooter that's completely aimless, not a horrible game but a faint shadow compared to stuff like Dark Souls 2, Mordor, or (evidently) Bayonetta 2. Looks like Dragon Age is getting the "overrated Bioware game" treatment.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By Soap

For those who don't want to have to click through a 25 image gallery to see what they chose, the answer is Destiny.

Opinions man, everyone has them.

Their opinion is shit though. ;)

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Did I like their GOTY? No, not one bit. But I don't disagree with them. It is a well made game that did some things at launch most other could not do (working online functionality), I understand why people like it. It is their game of the year, not mine. Mine did not even make the list (it would be a tie between Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Divinity: Original Sin).

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Can't complain, they put The Wolf Among Us in their top 10.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Most of my favorite games of the year made the list. I guess they missed Mini Metro,Nidhogg and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. And I drastically preferred Mario Kart 8 to Shovel Knight, as well as it, Far Cry 4, Hearthstone, Towerfall Ascension, and P.T. to The Wolf Among Us and Shadow of Mordor. But all of those games are at least fine, so I can't really complain. It's cool to see Alien Isolation so high on the list.

I never played the full retail version of Destiny, but the beta was some of the best fun I had this year. I'll probably grab it for $30 early next year and buy the DLC alongside.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Brendan

A top 25 list seems a little broad. At some point you are simply listing most of the functional big games that came out in a year.

I'm having fun with Destiny because I'm playing through the raid with my friends, but the game in a vacuum has a lot wrong with it. The mission design offers very little variety and the story may as well not even exist. The public events, strikes, and raids are where this game shines. It's good but the opinion that this game is numero uno for 2014 seems a little far afield.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#12  Edited By Slag

Well if their intent of that list was to bait me into looking at gamesradar once, it succeeded.

If their goal was to ever have me come back, they failed.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The whole ripple effect of being a polarizing game is that you'll have pedestals and pitfalls. Wouldn't be surprised if Destiny snags another Game of the Year prize from a couple other major outlets.

And, truthfully, I can't think of another game that was more representative of the state of video games in 2014 than Destiny. That sentiment doesn't mean Destiny should get awards. But it's certainly the game I'll think about most when I think about this year, for better or for worse.

Really glad to see Alien: Isolation getting some of the spotlight. That's an easy game to pick on. But when it works, it really, really works.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I didn't expect anyone to give Desitny GOTY. Even a garbage can gets a steak sometimes, I guess.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

I'm amazed someone can think Destiny is anything more than a repetitive lifeless mess in a pretty package. I honestly thought the full game would have more variety than the alpha & beta, but...

I thought Titanfall came out in 2013, did that seriously come out in 2014? If there's a category for a game that is extremely hyped, and then forgotten incredibly fast, that game is a lock.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spraynardtatum

Money talks. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

GRID Autosport is racing game of the year and Forza Horizon 2 isn't on the list. OK.

As much as I personally had major issues with Destiny, I guess the people at GamesRadar were some of those that got hooked. Honestly, I won't be surprised if it ends up higher on GB's list than some people expect simply based on how deep it buried its claws into Brad.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There is only one wrong answer to what GOTY 2014 is, and they picked it.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Flappy

I'm just happy that someone remembered The Evil Within.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I am not a Destiny fan but it seems to have something that makes people keep playing it. It's not my GOTY but it's got some kind of weird x-factor that a lot of other games this year have lacked.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FinalDasa  Moderator

Sure, this seems like someone else's list for GOTY. It's like that friend of yours who doesn't follow video games very closely but does pay attention to the marketing. This would be his/her list at the end of the year.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

@flappy said:

I'm just happy that someone remembered The Evil Within.

Yummylee remembers.

Loading Video...

Fucking aye.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

I didn't expect anyone to give Desitny GOTY. Even a garbage can gets a steak sometimes, I guess.

Nice.

I wouldn't compare Gamesradar to a steak but that is an awesome saying!

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Well if their intent of that list was to bait me into looking at gamesradar once, it succeeded.

If their goal was to ever have me come back, they failed.

This sums it up quite nicely.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa said:

It's like that friend of yours who doesn't follow video games very closely but does pay attention to the marketing. This would be his/her list at the end of the year.

Yeah, if this were a random user-made list on GB, and these were clearly just the only 25 games that person played, and also their list was written in childish scrawl and the person was clearly like 12 years old, this list would be fine.

But I'm pretty sure Gamesradar is notable enough to be on Metacritic, and you'd think a games review outlet as major as that would be better at taking into consideration a game's faults.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's an....interesting list.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FinalDasa  Moderator

@bisonhero: I'm fine with their choices because it's their opinion and I can't fault that as wrong. But this is a case where a deliberation podcast/video, or just a wider explanation, would really help. Why is Grid on there? Why is Towerfall: Ascension high? Is Evil Within really better than the new COD? Why is PT considered a game, isn't that more of an experience?

If anything this makes me happy the GOTY I really pay attention to is GB. They spread the awards around to ensure every game has a chance to earn something. And even then I still take the time to explain why and how they choose their final list.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@chaser324: I just think stuff like Diablo 3 basically negates the appeal of Destiny aside from Brad, it might be possible for it to somehow get number 10 but higher than that would be surprising. Unless you're saying that it will be in the top 25 (and that could be surprising to someone) or something, then I agree with you.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sodapop7

Well someone has to counterbalance the overblown negativity towards Destiny. The amount of time I've spent having a great time in that game makes it my GOTY easy.

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grid above Mario Kart 8! I can't even comprehend the thought process there. But I'm all for having Alien Isolation so high up, but Destiny ahead of it? Madness.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not my personal #1, but I can dig it. I personally think it's a perfectly fine game that should have had way more content upon release. That's it. For fuck's sake, from the way people talk it, you would almost think it's the new Drake of 99 Dragons or some shit. Whatever though. It's clearly an unpopular opinion and unpopular opinions are rarely viewed in what one would call a rational light.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god, someones opinion! how barbarous.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I don't think it's a silly choice at all. It's a game that will continually grow, and with that growth, we'll see a far larger and fully-formed game.

The problem with Destiny is that it's an MMO, and as such, it isn't going to be complete upon release. Here at the LAN center, we have guys that come in SOLELY to play Destiny. They don't give a shit about any other game. Some of them come from Call of Duty, others from League of Legends, and even one that quit WoW for it. Therefore, to us "elitest" gamers, we look at Destiny and say "eh." Hell, I couldn't get past level 5 without feeling bored. However, for those guys that did get past it, they have thoroughly loved and enjoyed the game in the same way that most MMO players enjoy it.

Therefore, I see no problem with it as a top pick.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@jakob187 said:

I don't think it's a silly choice at all. It's a game that will continually grow, and with that growth, we'll see a far larger and fully-formed game.

We are one expansion in with no sign of that coming. If Bungie couldn't see the issues with their game pre-release then there's no hope for it, they aren't gonna do-over their game.

Destiny 2 might be good.

Edit: Destiny is not really an MMO, where's the massively multiplayer part? It's basically the same online system as Dark Souls except you don't have to summon people, seeing small numbers of people in a trade hub doesn't put it in the same ballpark as World of Warcraft or even PlanetSide 2. Furthermore most MMOs have a lot of content, Destiny doesn't...

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is one interesting list but overall it's not what I would pick.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

A top 25 list seems a little broad. At some point you are simply listing most of the functional big games that came out in a year.

I dunno.. for a top 25 list I felt like there was a lot of games "missing". But ye, it sorta just ends up with "the games we played this year". There's several games on that list that I couldn't give a rats ass about and I would never consider for any GOTY list at all.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: My issue with it is that past MMOs have won Game of the Year because they launched with a crazy amount of content and/or were a big paradigm shift, and kinda hit out of the park before even needing expansion content. That really is not the case with Destiny, and it feels like for Destiny to win Game of the Year, it's winning it on "The gameplay is OK now, so boy, this game will sure be something when it has more interesting and varied content in the expansions/sequels to come in the next 1-5 years".

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GR has been getting worse every time i go there a few times a year.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Let's get mad about stupid shit. Probably my least favorite part about GOTY stuff.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can someone just post the list here? I have no desire to slowly flip through their dumb list one at a time so they can a page view for each one.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

My GotY is watching people realize what Destiny actually is.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@humanity said:

Man a different page for every item on the list? Getting a little greedy for those Google ads..

Clicking to go to a different page doesn't generate ad revenue for them. You have to click on the ad itself and that only gets them like 0.000something cents. Its no biggie.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Props for the Alien: Isolation mention. At least someone remembers it

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to say but this sounds like the output of someone who hasn't really engaged enough with the games. I don't mind weird lists where people have unique experiences but picking an unspectacular and buggy game seems fishy... maybe they are just following the money.

rahlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rahlyn

Just skimmed through the list. Don't care what the put for top 25. Didn't find any hidden gems I may have missed though.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Can someone just post the list here? I have no desire to slowly flip through their dumb list one at a time so they can a page view for each one.

• 25. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • 24. Bravely Default
  • 23. Titanfall
  • 22. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • 21. The Evil Within
  • 20. FIFA 15
  • 19. Mario Kart 8
  • 18. Shovel Knight
  • 17. Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • 16. Child of Light
  • 15. GRID Autosport
  • 14. Geometry Wars 3
  • 13. P.T.
  • 12. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • 11. Far Cry 4
  • 10. TowerFall Ascension
  • 9. Hearthstone
  • 8. The Wolf Among Us
  • 7. Dark Souls 2
  • 6. Bayonetta 2
  • 5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • 4. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • 3. Alien: Isolation
  • 2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Game of the Year 2014: Destiny
Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This list is shit. I would have liked it more if they made it a top ten and simply left Bravely Default off of it but instead they had a top 25 and put it at 24.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's my GOTY too. I enjoyed it for what it is (an MMO-lite) instead of building up a ridiculous hype-fueled idea of what it would be for two years before release. MMOs are probably my favorite genre, and if you're a fan of the genre, Destiny is a pretty good one.

People have different likes, dislikes, needs, and wants when it comes to games; one person may like what another person doesn't. Sorry to shatter your world view!

Also, I'll just say that people saying DUDE IT'S NOT AN MMO THERE'S ONLY LIKE 10 PEOPLE IN A GAME are arguing semantics. I'm pretty sure almost nobody plays MMOs because YO THERE'S LIKE 150 PEOPLE IN THIS ZONE THAT'S SICKKKKKKKKK. You can pretty much draw a line from each system in Destiny to an analogous system in WoW (or whatever other MMO). That's the reason people who enjoy the game enjoy it. They like that style of progression and the loot treadmill, and they don't care about running the same stuff over and over. I also, personally, could not give less of a shit about story, voice acting, characters, or lore, so those complaints ring hollow for me too. I imagine a decent number of MMO players are the same way, since many people seem to skip all quest dialogue.

It reminds me exactly of when Diablo III came out and everyone who had never played Diablo before complained about I HAVE TO PLAY THROUGH THE STORY 3 TIMES BEFORE I HIT MAX LEVEL? THIS GAME SUCKS, when farming the same areas over and over is the fundamental basis of that genre. Most people need to realize that not every game will be for them, some people will like games that they don't like, and just move on.