Gamestop and next-gen consoles

Avatar image for midnightgreen20
midnightgreen20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I recently tried to go grab a PS4 at a Gamestop by me that doesn't really get much heavy traffic, figuring I had a decent shot of walking in and getting a console, but I had no luck. Shipment came in the day before and sold out immediately. But what really bothered me is what the sales associate told me from that point. If I wanted to get a PS4, I could order one of the several bundles that they offered, ones that included Infamous or a refurbished bundle that also came with a Vita. Ordering just the PS4 itself was unavailable. I would have to walk in on a day they got a shipment in and hoped for the best. They said that because Japan finally had their release, a bulk of the consoles were going over there and not to the U.S., which made some sense. At the same time I couldn't help but to think to myself that the bundles do have consoles in them, so why not try and lower the amount of those and not just get standalone consoles instead?

Of course, they also offered me an X1 that I could order online, just the console itself. They also had bundles I could get including Titanfall, but if I just wanted the console, I could get that one and not the PS4. And to make things even nuttier, they were offering layaways ONLY for the X1. The fact that there seemed a bit more of preferential treatment towards the X1 seeing you had more options of getting one plus having layaway on only that system really bugged me the hell out and certainly made me lose any ounce of trust I could possibly have for that store. Has something like this ever happened at other launches?

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Shopping at pawn shops for kids is usually a bad idea. Why do you have such a. Hard on for GameStop? Go pretty much anywhere else to include online stores like Amazon to buy a console. I don't understand you dilemma. If store a doesn't have what you want go to store b, c,d, etc...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The fact that there seemed a bit more of preferential treatment towards the X1 seeing you had more options of getting one plus having layaway on only that system really bugged me the hell out and certainly made me lose any ounce of trust I could possibly have for that store. Has something like this ever happened at other launches?

Sounds more like GameStop has too many Xbox Ones in their warehouse, so they want them sold as soon as possible. Lower sales and less demand means Gamestop will not ask much from people to get them off their hands. Its not preferential treatment, it is "Gawd damnit! We have far too many units in a our warehouse, so start selling them any way you can!"

As for trusting Gamestop, well don't do that. Places like Babbages, Software Etc, EB Games, and Gamestop has a purpose in the mid-90s because there was no online shopping and some big box stores were playing games about what sorts of games the would stock with M-Ratings because of right-wing Christian groups. Today, you can buy games and consoles from tons of places - in stores, online, or at the supermarket. There is fewer reasons for GameStop to exist, which is why it won't exist as used games sales decline.

And, GamesStop leavening the market won't be a blow to anyone, except the unskilled workers who work there. Its a bummer that some electronics stores are gone, it sad when some types of stores go out of business, but Gamestop doesn't increase competition on game pricing - it is an anchor on game pricing. Cash for gold! Rent-to-own! Pay more & get less! These are all images/ideas that should come to mind when you enter a Gamestop. They prey on people's lack of knowledge about economics and how to handle money.

Gamestop is a pawn shop and the suburban equivalent of a 'leech' stores you'd typically find in poor inner-cities.

Avatar image for midnightgreen20
midnightgreen20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds more like GameStop has too many Xbox Ones in their warehouse, so they want them sold as soon as possible. Lower sales and less demand means Gamestop will not ask much from people to get them off their hands. Its not preferential treatment, it is "Gawd damnit! We have far too many units in a our warehouse, so start selling them any way you can!"

When I went to go grab a copy of the new South Park game, I had asked someone who worked at another location than the one I attempted to get the PS4 about it. They suggested that in fact the company made the arrangement with Microsoft to do layaway for the X1 and said that they make all sorts of deals with the manufacturers. They also said it could be because that the X1 costs $100 more, so that difference in price may be too much for people, so layaway would be an enticing deal for those looking at getting that than saving the money and diving in on a PS4

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My gamestop had 0 ps4's but could order one from the gamestop at the nearby airforce base which sadly I cant get onto for another 2 months till I get my badge for me new job for clearance onto military bases. They did have though 4-5 Xones that they told me about and stopped at simply telling me as they know me and understand my dislike towards Xbox and Live. They did get me to think about buying the WiiU though.. totally know what to say to me to help me spend money. made 3 more pre-orders for collectors when I picked up my Southpark collectors..

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TheHBK

Fuck gamestop and their bundles. It is business but they have always done stuff like this. I remember as a kid and sometimes even now, they would sell games or systems at higher than MSRP. I remember that the GBA released in the US for 89.99 but they were charging 99.99. If games were greatest hits for example, they would still charge full new price. Anything to try to squeeze more money out of the uninformed.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh GameStop... the very last place I will go after I have exhausted all other possible options. The last time I bought something from GameStop was for FFXIV Reborn because all online retailers were sold out and GameStop was the only place getting 1 or 2 copies in every couple of days. Before that I can't remember when/what I bought, but I know it was a long time ago.

I miss the older stores before they were all bought out. Babbage's, Software Etc, FuncoLand. Those stores were great.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently tried to go grab a PS4 at a Gamestop by me that doesn't really get much heavy traffic, figuring I had a decent shot of walking in and getting a console, but I had no luck. Shipment came in the day before and sold out immediately. But what really bothered me is what the sales associate told me from that point. If I wanted to get a PS4, I could order one of the several bundles that they offered, ones that included Infamous or a refurbished bundle that also came with a Vita. Ordering just the PS4 itself was unavailable. I would have to walk in on a day they got a shipment in and hoped for the best. They said that because Japan finally had their release, a bulk of the consoles were going over there and not to the U.S., which made some sense. At the same time I couldn't help but to think to myself that the bundles do have consoles in them, so why not try and lower the amount of those and not just get standalone consoles instead?

Of course, they also offered me an X1 that I could order online, just the console itself. They also had bundles I could get including Titanfall, but if I just wanted the console, I could get that one and not the PS4. And to make things even nuttier, they were offering layaways ONLY for the X1. The fact that there seemed a bit more of preferential treatment towards the X1 seeing you had more options of getting one plus having layaway on only that system really bugged me the hell out and certainly made me lose any ounce of trust I could possibly have for that store. Has something like this ever happened at other launches?

Here

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Console/dp/B00BGA9WK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394091248&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4

Buy it, as of me typing this it's available.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that there seemed a bit more of preferential treatment towards the X1 seeing you had more options of getting one plus having layaway on only that system really bugged me the hell out and certainly made me lose any ounce of trust I could possibly have for that store. Has something like this ever happened at other launches?

I'm at an EB in canada and we're not doing the majority of the things that are pissing you off. We are however (comparably) overstocked on XB1's so we're talking them up a little because, y'know, selling stuff.

It's likely the same story down there. No retailer wants XB1's just sitting there this close to when they launched (bad sign) and when that Titanfall bundle comes out the main models will lose that much more perceived value.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

If GameStop is run anything like the retail music shop I used to work at in university* then the employees of GameStop are probably heavily incentivized to push certain products. You'd think a gaming shop would be full of laid back gamers, right? Some are, but it seems like they're more often full of super talkative people trying to give you the hard sell. That's because if they don't sell X amount of Y special or service per month, they're probably on the chopping block, especially at outlets that aren't showing strong profits. It's likely a system that keeps locations profitable, especially ones that can be overseen locally by strong managers, but on the customer side it can suck. Employee side, as well, actually.

*(Sam Goody --- back when CDs were quickly becoming extinct)

SOLO323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my gamestop is cool as fuck cause i never let them play me

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnightgreen20 said:

As for trusting Gamestop, well don't do that. Places like Babbages, Software Etc, EB Games, and Gamestop has a purpose in the mid-90s because there was no online shopping and some big box stores were playing games about what sorts of games the would stock with M-Ratings because of right-wing Christian groups. Today, you can buy games and consoles from tons of places - in stores, online, or at the supermarket. There is fewer reasons for GameStop to exist, which is why it won't exist as used games sales decline.

And, GamesStop leavening the market won't be a blow to anyone, except the unskilled workers who work there. Its a bummer that some electronics stores are gone, it sad when some types of stores go out of business, but Gamestop doesn't increase competition on game pricing - it is an anchor on game pricing. Cash for gold! Rent-to-own! Pay more & get less! These are all images/ideas that should come to mind when you enter a Gamestop. They prey on people's lack of knowledge about economics and how to handle money.

Gamestop is a pawn shop and the suburban equivalent of a 'leech' stores you'd typically find in poor inner-cities.

Yo do realize that the ESRB was created in response to Democratic senators Leiberman and Kohl in the 90's and Californias own Democratic state senator Leland Yee wants to criminalize selling M rated games to underage persons.