#1 Posted by Gaspatchosoup (45 posts) -

So i went to gamestop and bought a used copy of Twisted metal today and as i was handed my receipt the employe said to me that there's an online pass on it and dont throw it away. I asked him why it was a used game and he told me that sony has some sort of deal with them on their games. It really upsets me because that makes the whole online pass useless if you can now get it free on used games yeah its only on sony that i know of but its still crap. I should say the part of the pass that really bugs is renting games if i rent i want to try the whole thing to see if i want to buy it not just the single player or pay the extra 10 to try it.

#2 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

So you are complaining that they gave you the online pass for the game instead of you having to pay for it? Amazing.

#3 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

I am confused, why are you complaining about getting the online pass for free? If you care that much about giving the developers getting money don't buy used games.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Gaspatchosoup said:

So i went to gamestop and bought a used copy of Twisted metal today and as i was handed my receipt the employe said to me that there's an online pass on it and dont throw it away. I asked him why it was a used game and he told me that sony has some sort of deal with them on their games. It really upsets me because that makes the whole online pass useless if you can now get it free on used games yeah its only on sony that i know of but its still crap. I should say the part of the pass that really bugs is renting games if i rent i want to try the whole thing to see if i want to buy it not just the single player or pay the extra 10 to try it.

So..your mad the dude went out of his way to help you out? Arnt you ungrateful. 
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Gaspatchosoup said:

Wow you guys are amazing im not complaining because he gave me one its because it makes them useless and you still need to pay for others. Basically what im saying is the program is shit. Really starting to see the intelligence here on the website employes and users and its just amazing.

Its not even called a season pass. Its called a online pass. And lots of games have it and a lot of threads have been made about it. 
#6 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

That's the only game I've heard of where you can get a pass for a used version but I rarely go to Gamestop these days and buy used games to be honest.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Gaspatchosoup said:

Wow you guys are amazing im not complaining because he gave me one its because it makes them useless and you still need to pay for others. Basically what im saying is the program is shit. Really starting to see the intelligence here on the website employes and users and its just amazing.

Its not even called a season pass. Its called a online pass. And lots of games have it and a lot of threads have been made about it.

Yeah the OP should have chosen a more accurate thread title. I can see how people got confused, OP shouldn't be quick to generalize the intelligence level of this site's users when he's responsible for the confusion.

#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@Gaspatchosoup: I think it relates more to online passes than anything else but I doubt you would have found that many identical articles because the forum search tool has always been unreliable.

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Gaspatchosoup said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Really because this relates to gamestop and when i searched the forums and didn't find any for a few pages. Thanks for you're constructive feedback. Thanks i know what it's called that was a typo.@Colourful_Hippie: Same here haven't stepped in one since lego batman came out.

Its not gamestop who picks the online pass. The devs pick...no matter where you buy it from. You could have gotten it at best buy and you would have to get a online pass/
#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I kinda get what your saying, that gamestop including an online pass for used games defeats the purpose of including an online pass at all. The thing is, the decision to include an online pass was probably made months ago, perhaps even when they pitched the game. And now that its out, things change, Sony has seen how well it did, and is dealing with reality. And one way they are dealing with it is by selling gamestop codes for online passes.

#10 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i think i now know what youre saying. online pass concept is useless as gamestop is giving them out, but sony wants money for their online passes.

well it's nice of gamestop to give you one. the companies charge extra money so they can get some of their money when people buy used games.

#11 Edited by big_jon (5728 posts) -

@Gaspatchosoup: I don't even understand what you're complaining about, maybe before you start calling others out on their supposed low intelligence, you learn how to articulate a point, and some basic grammar skills.

Thanks, bye.

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

It is bullshit but the way you're acting makes you seem like an asshole. Maybe think that aspect through better.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

The underlying point is the same the devs want to get paid. Here is the thing. The markup on used games is where gamestop makes all their money. The lack of a online pass makes purchasing said game less attractive so gamestop says fuck it well cover the cost of the online passes because in the long run it benefits them to do so. So no, it doesn't undermine the point of the system. And yes I think its a perfectly fine system to apply to games.

#14 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

I didn't read the whole thread, but I seem to recall that Gamestop has to purchase those for extra from the publishers to add those to their used game sales. So no one really gets hurt in this.