• 51 results
prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By prinny_god

I love trading in I would not have half the games I have if not for trading in.
people are just stupid about trading in that's all. Basically everyone hates gamestop because its the evil empire and is cool to hate them.
everyone is crying about how gamestop will only give them 3 bucks for their 3 year old crappy game, which is just stupid. You have to be smart about
wait till there's a deal. I traded in 2 games and they were like "oh your trading in 2 games that'll get you 30% more and we are having a buy 2 get one free sale"
so I got 4 games for trading two games that I didn't want anymore anyways. Its a win win win because I get 4 games, gamestop can sell the games that I gave them,
and finally someone else can buy those games for cheaper now.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By prinny_god

I love trading in I would not have half the games I have if not for trading in.
people are just stupid about trading in that's all. Basically everyone hates gamestop because its the evil empire and is cool to hate them.
everyone is crying about how gamestop will only give them 3 bucks for their 3 year old crappy game, which is just stupid. You have to be smart about
wait till there's a deal. I traded in 2 games and they were like "oh your trading in 2 games that'll get you 30% more and we are having a buy 2 get one free sale"
so I got 4 games for trading two games that I didn't want anymore anyways. Its a win win win because I get 4 games, gamestop can sell the games that I gave them,
and finally someone else can buy those games for cheaper now.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

i love GS because i own it.

I'm rich BITCH!!!!!!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Its true. they do have some really poor policies, but I still use them, because there aren't a lot of places to get money for your used games in the first place, and i often find games there that are much more expensive on ebay.

I just wish that corporate would send out boxes to the stores so they wouldn't have to put brand new game cases on the shelves.
And not store new games on top of the toilet in the bathroom because they dont have enough room.
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By danielkempster

This is all very well, but you have to remember that in this situation, the developers, the people who deserve this money most, see none of it. That's the problem that most people have with the whole Gamestop/trading-in/second hand issue. Personally, I have no problems buying a game second-hand if it's no longer in production. If it's recently released, I'd rather buy it new and see some money go to the developers.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By prinny_god

well its nothing personal just business ^_~

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Gamestop is just trying to turn a profit with their trade in games. It is still sad when I got DQIV from a friend (who bought it from GS) and then I decided to see what they would trade it in for. Interestingly enough, the game was bought for 29.99 and the trade in value was 8.00. 

I think most people dislike GS because of the shady business practices, bad treatment of employees and horrible atmosphere.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JoelTGM
dankempster said:
"This is all very well, but you have to remember that in this situation, the developers, the people who deserve this money most, see none of it. That's the problem that most people have with the whole Gamestop/trading-in/second hand issue. Personally, I have no problems buying a game second-hand if it's no longer in production. If it's recently released, I'd rather buy it new and see some money go to the developers."
But people act like Gamestop is totally to blame.  It's the people selling their used games who are to blame, but that's just silly isn't it.  If I want to sell a used game, I could sell it to Bob online, or I could sell it to Gamestop and most likely get a better deal.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By TheHBK

Why do people hate on GS?  Because they are assholes.  Its not about you only getting 3 bucks, its about youg getting 3 bucks but they turn around and sell the fucking game for 15 bucks.  Sound good to you?  The best way to sell your old games is to do it directly or go on ebay.  Dont help them out.  Also they have shitty policies, anyone ever try to buy a new game only to have them pull the box off the shelf and pull the disk out of the drawer?  Or how about how you can see them using the plastic wrap machine and a hair dryer type thing to seal it up so they can sell as new?  What about the assholes who just keep asking you to pre order?  Or how about the insurance?  Or what about the guy who laughs cuz someones system breaks and they didnt buy GS insurance?  Yeah, before you start defending them because all you do is buy used games, maybe you would see all the shit they do.  Buy your used games from Ebay, from a friend, but dont encourage GS, because they rip people off through more than just used games.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Teoball

I go to GS all the time, only cause it's the closest game store though. If I find something I want I go to another store and buy it there.
I never trade in any of my games and I like to give my money to the developers and publishers.

I'm not a poor student anymore so I don't care about the price if the game is good.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By prinny_god

The HBK you are the type of person that gave me the reason to write this blog.
yeah they gave you 3 bucks because you brought them a very old or crappy game, and them selling it for more than they gave you oh my god that's the basic form of business ever.
I don't have words for your stupidity frankly, what did you think they would give you 15 and sell for 3? That argument is the dumbest thing ever.
As for the preorder thing all you have to say is no once I've been to 100 different gamestops (I move a lot for my job) and I have never had to say no more than once. As for insurance I've never ever been ask to buy insurance. the guy that laughed that was one guy the world has jerks into it get over it. Also if you buy a console anywhere besides best buy your a moron. 

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Gamestop/EB Games has had awful customer service in my past visits. They always try to pressure me into a pre-order or to guarantee my game.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By m1k3

The hate has to do more with them selling the used games at high prices than it has with you trading your games in

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Dude

I have a legit reason to hate them, I worked there for about a month, I don't think you can really understand the shadiness until you worked there.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By prinny_god
The_Dude said:
"I have a legit reason to hate them, I worked there for about a month, I don't think you can really understand the shadiness until you worked there. "
its with how they payed you isn't it? with the card thing?
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Dude

Nah, I got direct deposit into my checking account, and the card thing really is not bad; I had it at another job for a month before I set up direct deposit. I could care less about that, the way they train you, and do business is just shady.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By prinny_god
The_Dude said:
"Nah, I got direct deposit into my checking account, and the card thing really is not bad; I had it at another job for a month before I set up direct deposit. I could care less about that, the way they train you, and do business is just shady. "
ooh I've heard horror stories of that its like nazis indoctrination like if anyone has a question just tell them yeah sure even if the answer is no
but I meant this blog as being a customer I've had nothing but good experiences at gamstops, I don't know why they are all kind and helpful to me and no one else in the world.
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Dude

The only reason I never have any problems now is because I only go to one and they never ask if I want to trade in, buy a magazine, pre order, or anything of that nature. It helps that I know everyone that works there, but any time I go to another gamestop I see the oppressive brainwashing show through in the employees.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By prinny_god

yeah I know the guy that works at the gamestop I go to so he spares me the bull.
One time we were laughing because we say the manager go gaga over a cute girl asking for a job application.
because I'm sure you know that a cute girl automatically gets a job at gamestop because they can get preorders out of sweaty videogame nerds better then someone that's more capable for the job. 

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Dude

Yeah the super lame thing about pre orders there is that if you get a pre order that's great and everything and you kind of have control over getting people to preorder stuff if you are good at it. However them canceling a preorder  counts against you, I actualy got "a talk" from my manager because 2 people had cancelled preorders that I got.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
The_Dude said:
"I have a legit reason to hate them, I worked there for about a month, I don't think you can really understand the shadiness until you worked there. "
I worked at Gamestop for a while too, and while i dont look back on it fondly, i certainly wouldnt call it shady. Then again, different stores will have different managers and different experiences. We were never pressured to get people on pre-orders, and they never had any problem with any time i canceled a preorder for a customer.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

I go to Games 'n' Things.  Why?  Because they kick ass.

GameStop, however, does NOT kick ass.  
redskineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By redskineer

Why does everyone get so touchy about this topic?  Yeah, Gamestop is basically the "evil corporation" that buys your game for a third of the price they are going to sell it for.  Yes, Gamestop is just trying to make a profit from buying used games and selling them.  And yes, there are games that you can only get 2 dollars for.  But that's beside the point.  The only knock on Gamestop that I have, as with most others, is that the developers don't get a share of the money.  It's one thing if Gamestop sold the used games, and gave a percentage of their profit to the publishers, but that's not what Gamestop does.  Gamestop ups the price around 3 times the amount they bought it for, and keeps all the profits.

As for only getting 3 dollars for a game.....anyone who is willing to sell a game for that much kinda deserves to get ripped off.

It's not cool to hate Gamestop.  It's the business practices that Gamestop has which makes it so hated.  And the only reason why they have a "Buy 2 games, get 1 free" sale is because they are just trying to clear up inventory, it has little to do with trying to give the consumer a good deal.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AgentJ
jakob187 said:
"I go to Games 'n' Things.  Why?  Because they kick ass.

GameStop, however, does NOT kick ass.  
"
What if there isn't a Games 'n' Things in the area????WHAT IF THERE ARE NO THINGS!!!!!!

redskineer said:
"Why does everyone get so touchy about this topic?  Yeah, Gamestop is basically the "evil corporation" that buys your game for a third of the price they are going to sell it for.  Yes, Gamestop is just trying to make a profit from buying used games and selling them.  And yes, there are games that you can only get 2 dollars for.  But that's beside the point.  The only knock on Gamestop that I have, as with most others, is that the developers don't get a share of the money.  It's one thing if Gamestop sold the used games, and gave a percentage of their profit to the publishers, but that's not what Gamestop does.  Gamestop ups the price around 3 times the amount they bought it for, and keeps all the profits.As for only getting 3 dollars for a game.....anyone who is willing to sell a game for that much kinda deserves to get ripped off.It's not cool to hate Gamestop.  It's the business practices that Gamestop has which makes it so hated.  And the only reason why they have a "Buy 2 games, get 1 free" sale is because they are just trying to clear up inventory, it has little to do with trying to give the consumer a good deal."
Does any store ever do a sale other than to clear up inventory? (Or get people into their store?)
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By BigBoss1911
m1k3 said:
"The hate has to do more with them selling the used games at high prices than it has with you trading your games in"
I just sold Resistance 2 and got back about $25,and the game is still sold used for $55.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwoOneFive

gamestop sucks but i still buy from them from time to time. their used games stuff is just a joke though, its such a fucking joke. sell your games on ebay or something not gamestop. they have to make like atleast 200% profit i swear. lol jk, but they'll buy killzone 2 for like $30, but then sell it for $55, that like 80-90% profit right? what the fuck kind of deal is that?!

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By REDRUN

Without a Gamestop nearby, I can not find those PS2 gems other than eBay. Not everyone have a PayPal account.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By prinny_god
REDRUN said:
"Without a Gamestop nearby, I can not find those PS2 gems other than eBay. Not everyone have a PayPal account."
yeah I found fatal frame 3 artonelico 1 and bunch of other games for less then 20 and those games sell for more than 60 on ebay
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By REDRUN
prinny_god said:
"REDRUN said:
"Without a Gamestop nearby, I can not find those PS2 gems other than eBay. Not everyone have a PayPal account."
yeah I found fatal frame 3 artonelico 1 and bunch of other games for less then 20 and those games sell for more than 60 on ebay "
Awesome, Fatal Frames and Siren are games to be discovered by some late to the party. Ebay, does blow and the genuine pawn shops overprice their used titles as if tit was a retail unopened NiB release. I found a few gems from Nippon Ichi and Atlus there, it was like my little treasure chest. I am usually buying more than I should on a buy 2 for 3 day. I was also a little late in discovering the Shin Megami Tensei , for those fans of Final Fantasy, Tales and Pokemon who seeks something more mature, you got to check them out. I spent less than $60 on 6 amazing used titles, was this wrong for me to buy games from a corporate pawn shop?
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By RichardLOlson
I gotta say that gamestop is not the root of all evil......Wal-mart is.
No Caption Provided

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sushbag

Yes OP, you're the smart one, not us. You're the one that has the system beat, well done on your used game trade ins. You really are supporting a quality company which hires skilled staff members, gives gamers good deals on things, and always has what I want when I go in. You are helping the game industry, and I salute you.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By REDRUN

I forgot to add, my point was that the local genuine pawn shops (in general) don't really understand gamers who buy games. As for the eBay community, they try to make the most out of what they call rarities. If you are down with buying a $350.00 Backwards Compatible PS3, its a great place to go. If you want to buy that Wii Monster Hunter game for $99.00, eBay has it. Not everyone have a PayPal account, understand how to look for that bargain, or not to fall for another eBay scam.

For those who had worked for GameStop, thanks for those times we had question about that certain game. For what GameStop is, its a pawnshop wearing a disguise as a game store. What it is really, is what I know to accept. I do not wish to sell all my games through GameStop personally, only for those eye sore of games I really want to rid from my library. Buying a new release used for $5 less than a new title is not much of a bargain, just because you know better wouldn't change the fact the person who bought or sold the game in the first place is not your problem at all.

For the game developers, we are at a time where digital downloads exists. They might as well start using that technology in order to slow down the resale market which the development company does not profit from. Giving the gamer an incentive to buy digital distribution would be great for the consumers as well insuring solid sales without the resale market cannibalizing themselves.

AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AvD

You say that they offer services that are convenient to you, which is nice.  But you have no idea about the horrible, greedy policies they enforce that screw both their customers and their employees out of every dollar they can take.  Having worked in a managerial position there, I know first hand just how bad cooperate Gamestop really is.  The rumors hold water... root of all evil? perhaps not.  A greedy cooperation that practices immoral (and sometimes illegal) business practices? yes.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By REDRUN

Better marketing strategies, digital distribution and newer stricter laws would help rid and control those "evils". Would you agree?

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GnaTSoL

While I hate Gamestop and do believe they are evil fiends with dollar signs in their eyes, they are my first choice when I need to get some games off my hands for extra cash. It's a quick transaction with them and I can just as quickly pick up some other game with the credits they give me.

Gamestop just needs some competition. They're the only big-time game-trade shop so all our hate is directed towards them because they're our only choice for us who don't like going through the trouble of selling games online. Theres just no one to compete with in terms of  trade-in pricing/policies.

So yeah, I'm just gonna let gamestop keep scamming me. I'll cringe on every trade-in but at least they're kind enough to give me an option on what to do with games I don't want anymore and give me a decent return....... But damn...... I sure do hate credits...... IN-STORE CREDITS! :(

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By REDRUN

If they offered cash instead of in-store credit, would it be safe to say, stolen games and consoles would be a good market for thieves?

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
REDRUN said:
"Better marketing strategies, digital distribution and newer stricter laws would help rid and control those "evils". Would you agree?"
I wouldn't mind the next gen of consoles or this gen offering full games at a $15 discount if they are downloaded
Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kr3lian

Going through a middle man to sell used games in this day and age is just about the dumbest thing you can do.  I usually sell used games for than I buy them on eBay.  So I complete a game and MAKE money.  Gamestop users are suckers.

Oh, and I do buy games new from time to time.  I just play *more* games because of the used game market.  I don't really buy into the argument that used game sales kill new game sales to the extent that publishers say.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By prinny_god
GnaTSoL said:
"While I hate Gamestop and do believe they are evil fiends with dollar signs in their eyes, they are my first choice when I need to get some games off my hands for extra cash. It's a quick transaction with them and I can just as quickly pick up some other game with the credits they give me.Gamestop just needs some competition. They're the only big-time game-trade shop so all our hate is directed towards them because they're our only choice for us who don't like going through the trouble of selling games online. Theres just no one to compete with in terms of  trade-in pricing/policies.So yeah, I'm just gonna let gamestop keep scamming me. I'll cringe on every trade-in but at least they're kind enough to give me an option on what to do with games I don't want anymore and give me a decent return....... But damn...... I sure do hate credits...... IN-STORE CREDITS! :("
well does the in store-credit really matter if you were just going to buy a game anyways?
Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shadow2K6

Game Crazy is better.

grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By grainger

im not sure what game stops like but over here in the UK we have gamestation and GAME both rediculously overpriced, both owned by the same holding company (GAME group Plc.) . and all the employs tend to be tools... the only places to get cheap games is from indies or supermarkets.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Whisperkill

...you probably work for gamestop

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By prinny_god
Whisperkill said:
"...you probably work for gamestop"
a plant you say??
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AgentJ
Whisperkill said:
"...you probably work for gamestop"
lol, people that work or worked for gamestop are the last people that would defend the store. I worked at one for a christmas rush a few years ago, and it's not until you see the inner workings that you realize how idiotic Gamestop corporate is. However, that doesnt make the company evil. 
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zityz

I haven't had any problems myself really, but then again I live in canada so policies could be different from the US. Plus I mostly buy new anyway, Only time I buy used is if an older game or a more rarity ( MVC2 for example) Plus if I don't like what theyre doing I could just go over the HMV and buy myself the game... plus end up leaving with some cds and a movie or two.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wolverine

The reason I don't like game stop is because of their pre-order system. I would rather just go into Best Buy and get a new game than have to pre-order it from game stop.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AgentJ
Wolverine said:
"The reason I don't like game stop is because of their pre-order system. I would rather just go into Best Buy and get a new game than have to pre-order it from game stop."
You don't usually have to preorder a game to get it... In fact, i can't think of a time while i was working there when we didn't have some extra copies beyond our preorder allotment. Best Buy isn't bad though.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Wolverine
AgentJ said:
"Wolverine said:
"The reason I don't like game stop is because of their pre-order system. I would rather just go into Best Buy and get a new game than have to pre-order it from game stop."
You don't usually have to preorder a game to get it... In fact, i can't think of a time while i was working there when we didn't have some extra copies beyond our preorder allotment. Best Buy isn't bad though.
"
Really? Every time I ever go into a gamestop to get a new game they always ask me if I pre-ordered and when I tell them I did not they tell me to come back in 2 days. When I go into Best Buy all the games are on the shelf.
austinj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By austinj

Is this prinny god guy for real? The upsetting part about GS isn't that "you get 3 bucks for their 3 year old crappy game" (as you so eloquently put it), but that they turn around and sell that game for 3x what they paid you for it. It's much more advantageous to sell any games that you don't want anymore directly to someone else.

... and sushbag's post is pretty funny.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By StarFoxA

The GameStops here in my city are manned by "core gamers," so to speak. They are knowledgeable about the products they're selling people, they don't try and push subscriptions, preorders, and insurance on me, and they often provide me with great deals (like they let me return my copy of Burnout Paradise, even though the disc was scratched in the way that the system had damaged it).

Bigdonkey1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bigdonkey1

people hate gamestop because they cheat the people that make the games out of money by selling it to people multiple times and encouraging used purchases that they get more profit from asell as their agressive exclusive deals that force people to buy from them

i hate them because they are douchebags, not because it's cool to hate them. that's just an extra side bonus