Gamestop just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

• 77 results
papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By papercut

So summers coming up and  thought I'd throw away my pride an apply for a job at Gamestop. If it wasn't hard enough for me already, this is the first thing you read when applying for a store job there... 

We are looking for people who LOVE gaming and want to share their knowledge and passion with others. If getting paid to talk in leetspeak about frags, mods, and strategy guides, check out the open positions below and apply today.     

Don't you just feel dirty reading that? "Paid to leetspeak? Oh good golly gosh this job sounds like heaven!" I'm surprised they didn't throw in a pwn anywhere there. I also love that they were able to sneak in a strategy guide, as they always do.  

thoughts?
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz
@papercut said:
" So summers coming up and  thought I'd throw away my pride an apply for a job at Gamestop. If it wasn't hard enough for me already, this is the first thing you read when applying for a store job there... 

We are looking for people who LOVE gaming and want to share their knowledge and passion with others. If getting paid to talk in leetspeak about frags, mods, and strategy guides, check out the open positions below and apply today.     

Don't you just feel dirty reading that? "Paid to leetspeak? Oh good golly gosh this job sounds like heaven!" I'm surprised they didn't throw in a pwn anywhere there. I also love that they were able to sneak in a strategy guide, as they always do.   thoughts? "
Oh jesus christ, so their recruitment is just as dim-witted and condescending as their advertising for games. 

Why am I not surprised?
jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By jimi

Well... all gamestop employees ARE douchebags. I guess it's good to know it's in their contract.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Thoughts?  Don't work at Gamestop.

Other thoughts?  Don't worry about that shit.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

I could imagine someone who just turned 16, indoctrinated into such a cultural sesspool since birth, could read that and go "woho yah!"

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fwylo

Haha hilarious.

But that must be a total lie.  I once heard an employee tell some man that he had to buy an elite 360 because you can't attach a hard drive to an arcade.  When I chimed in to disagree as a bystander, he decided to argue with me.

Fuck those places.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By cap123

yuck, that's really something. IIt's like the guy who wrote it asked his 12 year old gamer son for some 'cool' buzz words.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@papercut said:
" So summers coming up and  thought I'd throw away my pride an apply for a job at Gamestop. If it wasn't hard enough for me already, this is the first thing you read when applying for a store job there... 

Don't you just feel dirty reading that? "Paid to leetspeak? Oh good golly gosh this job sounds like heaven!" I'm surprised they didn't throw in a pwn anywhere there. I also love that they were able to sneak in a strategy guide, as they always do.   thoughts? "
My initial thought : you are fucking hilarious. 

@Jimi said:
" Well... all gamestop employees ARE douchebags. I guess it's good to know it's in their contract. "
that makes sense. Leetspeakers are usually smug pricks, so there you go.
Avatar image for constable_wiggum
Constable_Wiggum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By Constable_Wiggum

And yet a good chunk of the people that I've seen working there are mid to late 20 year old washouts that ACT like they just turned 16 and helped to CREATE the cultural cesspool in the first place!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By trophyhunter

If you like to pwn noobs in leetspeak while you frag off come on in we love to have people that don't know shit about games 
I mean look what our sign says

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By sixghost

Hey! Are you gam3r interested in PWNing unemployment this summer?

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DanielJW

Yeah well, half the morons at my school would scream "FOR THE WIN" when they read that. 

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrSnow
@OllyOxenFree said:
" Thoughts?  Don't work at Gamestop.  Other thoughts?  Don't worry about that shit. "
moneys moneys
RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RLLink

If it's money, then go for it I say. I normally ignore stuff like that.  

As painful as it is.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Jimi said:
" Well... all gamestop employees ARE douchebags. I guess it's good to know it's in their contract. "
This is a fallacy. I know a bunch of cool G-Stop guys. It's just that most of them are douche bags.

But yeah, I wouldn't work at a GameStop unless it was my local one. The manager there is a pretty good guy and they don't get too many horrible customers. Most GameStops are fucking horrible though, especially the employees. I think it is time to bring this video back to the surface...

And then I went to look for it and remembered that Gamestop took them off Youtube and suspended the guy. OK, well. Hopefully this works just as well.
Who_Dat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Who_Dat

do you like to talk about getting sick head shots bro?, then this job is for you

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@fwylo said:
" I once heard an employee tell some man that he had to buy an elite 360 because you can't attach a hard drive to an arcade.  When I chimed in to disagree as a bystander, he decided to argue with me. "
This might make me sound like a total asshole (I suppose I am), but I'd totally screw with the customers like that.  Don't the employees get more money or something depending on what they manage to sell, if they manage to get someone to pre-order stuff or subscribe to a magazine?  I'd mess around all the time, lying and shit, trying to get people to purchase games like Rogue Warrior just for the lulz.

I wouldn't argue with someone like you who obviously knew what he was talking about, trying to tell the truth to a customer and save them some money, but I would be a total dick.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fwylo
@FluxWaveZ:  I'm not sure exactly if they get bonus purely based on sales numbers.  But I heard that they get some kind of bonus for selling strategy guides and extra shit like that.  I probably wouldn't do anything like that though.  But I wouldn't be working there in the first place so whatever haha.
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kishan6
@papercut: would u rather hand out stickers at wal mart?
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LeetBalla
@FluxWaveZ: Gamestop employees don't make any form of commission. 
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By RichardLOlson

GameStop is full of assholes and people who just don't give a shit about the fellow gamer.  They will sell someone a shitty game without any thought about. 

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By swamplord666

although it may suck, you're working, for money AND you know what you're talking about. I'd kill to be in a job where I could actually NOT bullshit about what I sell.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@fwylo: Yeah, I don't see myself working there, either.  But if I did, I'd gotta get my fun somehow!  They're store clerks, not people who's job it is to answer questions about video games.
papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By papercut
@kishan6: fun fact: there are no Walmarts in SF. But yes, totally, there are worse things in this world then working at Gamestop.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dtat

I would work there as soon as I would work at any other retailer. I hate a lot of what Gamestop does, but like a previous posted said, "money's money." And besides that, you would get some game-related benefits. Free games and such. I know a guy who actually isn't a douchebag that used to work at Gamestop and he says as long as you can stomach the bullshit, there are a lot of perks..
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@RichardLOlson said:

" GameStop is full of assholes and people who just don't give a shit about the fellow gamer.  They will sell someone a shitty game without any thought about.  "

So?  The "fellow gamer" would know better than to ask a Gamestop clerk about which game they should buy.  They'd just buy it.  There's a problem with the people who actually ask them for info on a video game or video game system.  When you purchase anything, anything at all, you should do a minimal amount of research.  These people who just want to buy something on a whim get what's coming to them.

@LeetBalla:  Really?  I could have sworn they got something for at least getting pre-orders or subscribing people to magazines, like fwylo said.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dtat
@swamplord666 said:
"although it may suck, you're working, for money AND you know what you're talking about. I'd kill to be in a job where I could actually NOT bullshit about what I sell. "

that's a good point too. It's an oppurtunity to NOT be that asshole that tries to tell customers that Rogue Warrior is the shit.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@FluxWaveZ:  You've always struck me as an annoying asshole if you dont mind me saying, so dont worry about it :)
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Trilogy

To be fair, a gamespot employee has never tried talking to me in "leetspeaK".

However, it is retarded that they would put that in a job description. I understand that they want people who know a lot about games but that doesn't mean you need to LIEK PWNING TEH NEWBZ! Shit like that is why gaming doesn't get any respect outside of the industry.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Ahmad_Metallic: Haha, well, I type it but I probably wouldn't do it...  I always write these things yet I never have the will to actually perform them.  >_>  But I'm definitely not annoying though, I wouldn't be the type to nag about magazine subscriptions or game guides XD (unless the manager was sitting right next to me, observing me).

@Trilogy: Wouldn't it be funny, though, if there was a Gamestop employee who actually talked like that on a normal basis?  I'd visit that place, like, everyday!
Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By TheDeadComedian

The gamestop by my house is run my the most kickass MOM GAMER ever. I am a regular customer and she admits that other gamestops are just filled with douchebags. She never blasts pre orders in my face, or memberships, She only informs me of them if I ask. I got so used to it that it was a shock to me people didn't like gamestop. Until I went to the one in the mall. 

Hoo boy.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ:  They get points with corporate when they sell used games, get reserves, and sell subscriptions to Game Informer. Strategy guides might factor into that too though I'm not sure.
Rothbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rothbart

Strangely enough, the people that work at my local Gamestop actually know a lot about games and have always been helpful and kind, reminding customers about ways to save money and trying to explain to grandparents and such the difference between good and bad games. Of course, Italian videogamers are few and far between, so I suppose we make up for it in quality. :)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@LordXavierBritish: Ah, okay thanks.  If you don't mind me asking, what are "points"?  Are they something that makes you get promoted faster, or a system to get raises quicker?
Bhouse563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bhouse563

Man, I feel bad for all of you that have had such horrible experiences with Gamestop. My local Gamestop is a great place to go, none of the employees try to oversell me (Never been asked to buy the strategy guide) the only thing that they do is ask if I have an Edge card (if it is an employee that I don't know) and they never press me when I say that I do not. Now mind you I don't go to Gamestop to ask questions about games, that's what the internet is for, and I understand how people are saying they don't know shit about games but that is hardly a reason to hate them.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, it sucks, but isn't this more evidence of how much further gamers have to fight before society stops looking at them like f'ing morons?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah, it's totally tubular when the district manager Reed comes in, and wants to see if your store has been moving the offer.  And if you haven't, he's going to come down on your manager and create an impressive avalanche of shit rolling downhill.  Because he's the distrct manager at Gamestop, so he is all about frags and mods.

For the record, Gamestop employees don't get paid commission, or a bonus if they sell the strategy guide... selling the strategy guides, and the warrantee, and the trade-ins are a mandatory aspect of keeping their job.  I feel sorry for those dumb fuckers, even as I tell them that a bluRay doesn't need scratch protection unless I'm going at it with a bansaw.

xmrgonex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xmrgonex

If that kind of thing makes you throw up in your mouth.... then that's exactly why you SHOULD take the job.

We need people like you to start working at Gamestop. Non-douches of the world... unite!

It's gotta start somewhere. Be a normal geek and go change the system from the inside out, sir.

*salute*

EasyPeasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EasyPeasey
@ryanwho: You're totally right and it terrifies me.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Kazona

I would so love to actually hear someone talk in l33t-speak. 

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By papercut
@xmrgonex: *salute back*
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Jimbo
@papercut said:

"We are looking for people who LOVE gaming and want to share their knowledge and passion with others. If getting paid to talk in leetspeak about frags, mods, and strategy guides, check out the open positions below and apply today."

If not bothering with half of your sentences apply today!
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ragdrazi

I thought leetspeak was dead.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Um..,just so you know. Gamestop doesn't want people who love games. They want people with retail experience, regardless of how they feel about video games.  

On top of that, the work schedule and pay make no sense.  

And did I mention I know several people who were fired because some a-hole employee stole something and they didn't know who? They didn't know who so they fired random people and said it was based on some other BS that happened to occur right around the same time. Yeah right.  

Don't forget they want you to push used game sales and GS memberships. That's right folks, if you don't sell used products or crappy magazines then you get fired.  

Oh yeah, the managers (on every level) are usually jackasses. Notice I said usually because you might run into a good one, but highly unlikely.  

I can go on, but you see where this is going..

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rebirth1337
Money is money. I would rather work at Gamestop then a fast food place.
Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Funzzo
@Jimi said:
"Well... all gamestop employees ARE douchebags. I guess it's good to know it's in their contract. "

as an ex Gamestop employee I can say go fuck yourself you ass ramming cock sucking peice of shit.. see its fun to insult people online.  p.s. eat shit.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fallen189

When you grow up, you'll realise that a jobs a job.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By demontium

lol tis is teh aw3som4 lololol XD XD!!!!1!!!one

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By jakob187

I remember applying for a job at GameStop about six years ago.  They gave out the applications at a little job fair they were having before they opened, and they also handed out a little video game knowledge quiz.  I got every answer right on the quiz, and they had a couple of pretty niche questions on there (like "what is the maximum terrain height in Final Fantasy Tactics"). 

However, the three people they ended up hiring only got about 30%-50% of the questions on the quiz right.  The reason they got hired instead of me?  Because getting 100% on the quiz apparently means that you can't be trained to be a fucktard corporate tool.  =  / 

With that said, I bought my copy of Red Dead Redemption at GameStop last night.  I didn't really want to, but they were the only place in town that had copies available for a midnight launch.  =  /

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50  Edited By natetodamax

That is retarded.