#1  Edited By AgentJ
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

People have been talking about this for a long time.  Some workers have confessed to doing it.  Once I bought a copy of Battlefield 1942 and the cd key was in use, contacted EA, they confirmed it, and gave me a new one.  The game had been stored in the back room, so it's only really possible an employee stole the key.  I hear these things can't just be randomly generated (too many misses).

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

This isn't really a surprise at all, not really something new either. I've never accepted a gutted copy as a new copy because I knew that it wasn't actually "new". I'm actually surprised that they didn't gut all the copies of their current sale games because they did gut all of them during the last sale (at least in my area).

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BoG

I've never had this happen to me. I once got a copy of Front Mission for the DS that had been rented, and it was $20 about a week after release. It was honestly as good as new. i've never seen why people whine about "IF IT IS OPEN IT ISN'T NEW." All I care about is whether or not the package is shiny.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kush
BoG said:
" i've never seen why people whine about "IF IT IS OPEN IT ISN'T NEW." All I care about is whether or not the package is shiny."
I think people have the right to complain if they are paying the price for a new copy of a game when it's been opened and played by an employee....
ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ShadowKiller

I've personally never had any trouble at the nearest EB Games but from some of the comments over at Kotaku that stuff is just plain wrong.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By brukaoru

Hasn't this been known for several months? A GameStop employee already wrote about this awhile ago.

Also, if they're trying to get GameStop for legal matters, they should go after them for the fact that GameStop will keep people's down payments for pre-orders and never remind them that it's there if they never picked up the game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Not surprised. These guys are known for shady practices, like this. Here and here.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ

I think the difference is that Kotaku is suggesting what they are doing is potentially illegal and that they may already be under investigation.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By brukaoru
AgentJ said:
"I think the difference is that Kotaku is suggesting what they are doing is potentially illegal and that they may already be under investigation."
Probably. Though I wonder why it took this long for them to be investigated.
N3onThr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By N3onThr33

One time my dad bought a "new" game it was open and it didn't come with the manual. HOW IS THAT NEW!?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
N3onThr33 said:
"One time my dad bought a "new" game it was open and it didn't come with the manual. HOW IS THAT NEW!?"
Last Christmas, I got Lost Odyssey sealed. It even had the plastic wrapping. I opened up that night, and guess what? NO DISCS! What the hell? And you know what made it worse? Months earlier, I tried to trade in plastic-sealed copies of Twilight Princess and Raving Rabbids (I already had the games when I received them, so I never opened the games.) , and they gave me crap for it because they didn't know if the game was in there.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

Oh they totally do. I remember picking up my first game for 360 a while ago and it was supposed to be "new" but it had a fuck ton of scratches.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By luce

they always give me that "sorry this is the last copy" bullshit and hand me an opened box with a disk that has atleast one scratch on it.

how can they charge that as a new game?

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheJollyRajah
luce said:
"they always give me that "sorry this is the last copy" bullshit and hand me an opened box with a disk that has atleast one scratch on it. how can they charge that as a new game?"
They did that to me the other day!

There were no scratches, the manual was there... but the box wasn't sealed completely. It only had a sticker where the box opens up. They sold it as new... (It was a Rock Band 2 disc)

It works fine and all, but I'm not sure if I really bought a "new" game.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
luce said:
"they always give me that "sorry this is the last copy" bullshit and hand me an opened box with a disk that has atleast one scratch on it. how can they charge that as a new game?"
You should have just bought it somewhere else. Target doesnt do any of this. 
Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Qorious

OMG, this is why I hate Gamestop! I will never shop there for the rest of my life! Gosh, this is just very unfair for their customers!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By luce
AgentJ said:
"luce said:
"
i dont live near a target unfortunately...gamestop is the main source for games where i live.

there are other places but they don't get their games on time. i always feel like a sucker when i go to gamestop

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ
luce said:
"AgentJ said:
"luce said:
"
i dont live near a target unfortunately...gamestop is the main source for games where i live.there are other places but they don't get their games on time. i always feel like a sucker when i go to gamestop"
Maybe internet would be a good way to go then. Amazon does free shipping if you buy more than 20 dollars worth of product, so you could get something shipped to your door for the same price as driving down to Gamestop.
clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By clarke0

They've been doing this for so long, I really hope it comes back to bite them in the ass. I never buy my games from Gamestop. Everyone else should try to do the same.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By weltal
BoG said:
" i've never seen why people whine about "IF IT IS OPEN IT ISN'T NEW." All I care about is whether or not the package is shiny."
I know, right? It's every bit as valid as McDonald's new policy to "Taste Test" customers food if their hungry. So what if they sip on your drink a little? It doesn't taste any different and it's basically like new.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Godwind
BoG said:
"I've never had this happen to me. I once got a copy of Front Mission for the DS that had been rented, and it was $20 about a week after release. It was honestly as good as new. i've never seen why people whine about "IF IT IS OPEN IT ISN'T NEW." All I care about is whether or not the package is shiny."
I think it matters.  For one things, I like buying new games because of Club Nintendo.  I am saving up for a Game and Watch game.  I also don't want to have to worry about the manual or the registration code not being there.

Also, what if you are buying someone a gift for someone?  The game is suppose to be sealed.  It is suppose to be a way of telling people you legitimately got them a new game.

I've never bought new games from Gamestop, only used games.
Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Giantsquirrel

They're not used, persay, they're the copies that Gamestop employees take home to play, then they sell you the "sleeved" disc. And it isn't "potentially", its "definitely". They've been doing it for years.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgentJ
Giantsquirrel said:
"They're not used, persay, they're the copies that Gamestop employees take home to play, then they sell you the "sleeved" disc. And it isn't "potentially", its "definitely". They've been doing it for years."
Like I said, we are supposed to only take used copies. The ones that do it with new games are breaking the companies rules, but the company doesnt seem to care much.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By StarFoxA

The only thing I hate are the huge stickers that GameStop not only puts outside of the cover sleeve, but inside as well.

Calidreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By Calidreth

Not surprising.  When they sold me a scratched Oblivion disc that they had down as "new" I never went back. 

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By raven_squad

I've gotten a number of games claimed to be new that were indeed used. Took them back in, showed them, and they rectified the situation. 

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BoG
Weltal said:
"BoG said:
I know, right? It's every bit as valid as McDonald's new policy to "Taste Test" customers food if their hungry. So what if they sip on your drink a little? It doesn't taste any different and it's basically like new."
Yes, because playing a video game is the same as taking a bite out of someone's food. Have you ever rented a game? Is that the same as if we could all go to the store and rent the same pie, take a bit, and return it? I don't think so. Your analogy loses.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#29  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Gamestop has always been shady when it comes to used games. Why stop with pushing them on you for $5 less than a new copy? This is why I buy the majority of my games from Amazon or a local store that actually sells used games for good prices and buys them for more as well.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By weltal
BoG said:
Yes, because playing a video game is the same as taking a bite out of someone's food. Have you ever rented a game? Is that the same as if we could all go to the store and rent the same pie, take a bit, and return it? I don't think so. Your analogy loses."
It was really more of a hyperbole. The point still stand, for all you know the dude that "Rented" the game took it into the bathroom dipped it in shit and then washed it off. Hardly the point anyway. Would you pay the price for a new TV for one that has been on display for a year? Pay the price for a new car and get a used one? No? Then why the hell would you pay the price for a "New" game when it's really been used?

Also, thanks alot! Now my genius idea for a pie rental store is going to be everywhere!
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By toowalrus

pfft... Gamestop.

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheBigBeefy

If you buy gutted games from GameStop it's your own fault. I don't see how GameStop haters have so much experience with a store that they hate so much? Are you going in just to get ripped off? Does the feeling of getting ripped off arouse you or something?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiggerBomb

This is news to you? =/

They once sold my mom an empty display case for a birthday (or was it Christmas? I don't remember!) present. Unfortunately, I opened the box a few months later, after having finished some of the other games, and it was too late to return it. G'damn bastids. I refuse to give them any of my money. The fuckheads!

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Captain_Fookup

EB Games has tried to pull this on me a few times. Every time they've attempted to rip me off I demanded a new copy and an apology.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Snail

The sons of bitches...

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheBigBeefy
BiggerBomb said:
"This is news to you? =/They once sold my mom an empty display case for a birthday (or was it Christmas? I don't remember!) present. Unfortunately, I opened the box a few months later, after having finished some of the other games, and it was too late to return it. G'damn bastids. I refuse to give them any of my money. The fuckheads!"
That's not GameStop's fault. Your mom should've noticed that the case was light and if it wasn't wrapped in it's normal casing, she should've looked inside before giving it to you. Also they have a return policy like any other store, they can't just except games that were purchased months ago. Your entire argument in flawed. You feel anger for a company when it was you and your mother's fault in the first place.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BiggerBomb
TheBigBeefy said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"This is news to you? =/They once sold my mom an empty display case for a birthday (or was it Christmas? I don't remember!) present. Unfortunately, I opened the box a few months later, after having finished some of the other games, and it was too late to return it. G'damn bastids. I refuse to give them any of my money. The fuckheads!"
That's not GameStop's fault. Your mom should've noticed that the case was light and if it wasn't wrapped in it's normal casing, she should've looked inside before giving it to you. Also they have a return policy like any other store, they can't just except games that were purchased months ago. Your entire argument in flawed. You feel anger for a company when it was you and your mother's fault in the first place."

It wasn't light, the pamphlets in the box are pretty heavy for a game. Plus, even if it was too light, she doesn't play video games. They probably knew this in selling it to her. That's like saying it's not the girls fault that she was drugged and raped, because she drank a beer given to her by a stranger.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's against policy to check out new games...

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only do they do that, but they accept ridiculous quality used games.  I picked up a copy of Shadowrun because it was only five bucks, and the disc he pulls out literally has a crack in it.  I told him "uhh, no thanks" and he responded "why?  it works fine".   Yeah... ok

_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By _Nuno_

Yesterday I bought pes2009 for the ps2 and although it was on the "new" pile, they warned me that the game was used and gave me a 10€ discount. I wanted the used game anyway since it was cheaper so no harm, no foul....

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheBigBeefy
BiggerBomb said:
"TheBigBeefy said:
"BiggerBomb said:
That's not GameStop's fault. Your mom should've noticed that the case was light and if it wasn't wrapped in it's normal casing, she should've looked inside before giving it to you. Also they have a return policy like any other store, they can't just except games that were purchased months ago. Your entire argument in flawed. You feel anger for a company when it was you and your mother's fault in the first place."
It wasn't light, the pamphlets in the box are pretty heavy for a game. Plus, even if it was too light, she doesn't play video games. They probably knew this in selling it to her. That's like saying it's not the girls fault that she was drugged and raped, because she drank a beer given to her by a stranger."
It's not the girls fault she was rapped but it's definitely her fault for being drugged. You don't take beer from strangers just like you don't take candy from strangers. That's like Kindergarten 101 right there.

xobballox said:
"Not only do they do that, but they accept ridiculous quality used games.  I picked up a copy of Shadowrun because it was only five bucks, and the disc he pulls out literally has a crack in it.  I told him "uhh, no thanks" and he responded "why?  it works fine".   Yeah... ok"

Ok I have to admit that the used games they sell are of low quality and in the past when it was EB Games, they used to act like the disc wasn't bad at all. They shouldn't except just any old game. I once looked for a DBZ game of the PS1 and they ended up giving the Japan only version. But they gave me my money back and contacted the guy who sold it to them.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BiggerBomb
TheBigBeefy said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"TheBigBeefy said:
"BiggerBomb said:
It wasn't light, the pamphlets in the box are pretty heavy for a game. Plus, even if it was too light, she doesn't play video games. They probably knew this in selling it to her. That's like saying it's not the girls fault that she was drugged and raped, because she drank a beer given to her by a stranger."
It's not the girls fault she was rapped but it's definitely her fault for being drugged. You don't take beer from strangers just like you don't take candy from strangers. That's like Kindergarten 101 right there.

xobballox said:
"Not only do they do that, but they accept ridiculous quality used games.  I picked up a copy of Shadowrun because it was only five bucks, and the disc he pulls out literally has a crack in it.  I told him "uhh, no thanks" and he responded "why?  it works fine".   Yeah... ok"
Ok I have to admit that the used games they sell are of low quality and in the past when it was EB Games, they used to act like the disc wasn't bad at all. They shouldn't except just any old game. I once looked for a DBZ game of the PS1 and they ended up giving the Japan only version. But they gave me my money back and contacted the guy who sold it to them."

You definitely work at GameStop.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#43  Edited By Vinchenzo
AgentJ said:
"Like I said, we are supposed to only take used copies. The ones that do it with new games are breaking the companies rules, but the company doesnt seem to care much."
I've never been told we can only take used copies, it's preferred though. I'll admit to renting some new games at my store, but like I said, if there's a used one I'll take it. It's a GameStop benefit, so don't be angry at me, just at them.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King
TheBigBeefy said:
"If you buy gutted games from GameStop it's your own fault. I don't see how GameStop haters have so much experience with a store that they hate so much? Are you going in just to get ripped off? Does the feeling of getting ripped off arouse you or something?"
Maybe none of us have a choice. What if somebody goes to GameStop and gets a game as a gift? Can you blame the person who received the gift? What if you don't live near any other gaming store?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"TheBigBeefy said:
"If you buy gutted games from GameStop it's your own fault. I don't see how GameStop haters have so much experience with a store that they hate so much? Are you going in just to get ripped off? Does the feeling of getting ripped off arouse you or something?"
Maybe none of us have a choice. What if somebody goes to GameStop and gets a game as a gift? Can you blame the person who received the gift? What if you don't live near any other gaming store?"
Like they said, Internet. You can get games cheaper and in better shape.
Vinchenzo said:
"AgentJ said:
"Like I said, we are supposed to only take used copies. The ones that do it with new games are breaking the companies rules, but the company doesnt seem to care much."
I've never been told we can only take used copies, it's preferred though. I'll admit to renting some new games at my store, but like I said, if there's a used one I'll take it. It's a GameStop benefit, so don't be angry at me, just at them."
No, im not mad at you at all. Im just saying that those were the rules. You were probably never told because your manager or higher-up never cared about it.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"TheBigBeefy said:
Maybe none of us have a choice. What if somebody goes to GameStop and gets a game as a gift? Can you blame the person who received the gift? What if you don't live near any other gaming store?"
Like they said, Internet. You can get games cheaper and in better shape.
Yea, but still...

Then again, this isn't much of a problem for me, often. Keep in mind that I'm an old school gamer.
MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#47  Edited By MeatSim

That might be one of the few perks of working in such a horrible place.

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TaintedSun

Oh no, my disk was put in someone else's console. I can't use it now!

Who cares? We're not talking about virgins here, shit. Get a grip.

JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By JohngPR

I've known that they do this for a long time.  This is why I always request that I get a shrinkwrapped copy instead of one that's already open.  If I pay $60 for a game, I damn well better be the first to play that copy.