Gamestop won't sell me games.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShiroMe

Every time a new game comes out I go to the Gamestop by my house, but they tell me that it only ships on the release day and they will have it the next day. Now, we all know they have had the game in the back for at least a week now. So why won't they sell the game on the release day?

I got shot down yesterday for Street Fighter 4.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_
ShiroMe said:
"So why won't they sell the game on the release day?"
It sounds like you're a little confused. "Release dates" online are usually only ship dates- the actual release date of the game is the next day. Some games, like Halo 3, or Call of Duty, or Street Fighter, will release on a Wednesday (or Tuesday, sometimes) no matter what just to keep game releases uniform, even if the games are in the back. Most games really don't get to the story until the evening or morning after the "release date", though.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

They lie. Although Street Fighter is sold out everywhere.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ShiroMe

I am in the shipping industry, and I know it takes about a month to ship something from asia to america. So how can Gamestop do it in a day?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_
ShiroMe said:
"

I am in the shipping industry, and I know it takes about a month to ship something from asia to america. So how can Gamestop do it in a day?

"
They don't press all disks in Asia. That being said, I recently received an order from Asia in 3 days, on low-class shipping, and I'm on the east coast. So it's definitely possible that priority shipping can take much less time. Even then, the general procedure for game shipments (coming from wherever) is that for high-priority games that are street dated (street date meaning they sell on the "ship date"), the games get sorted and mobilized from warehouses on Sunday, with the games arriving late Monday or very early on Tuesday. For normal games, they head out on Monday and get there sometime late Tuesday or even mid-day Wednesday.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
ShiroMe said:
"

"
Most discs for North America are pressed in Mexico.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

So hang on what? Release dates aren't actually the release date in the US?

Here in UK games come out on Friday. That's their release day and it always comes accompanied with a date. Example - Street Fighter IV is out on 20th February (a.k.a. this Friday); Killzone 2 is out on 27th February (a.k.a. next Friday). I'm genuinely confused -- are US release dates not the dates posted on websites?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
get2sammyb said:
"So hang on what? Release dates aren't actually the release date in the US?

Here in UK games come out on Friday. That's their release day and it always comes accompanied with a date. Example - Street Fighter IV is out on 20th February (a.k.a. this Friday); Killzone 2 is out on 27th February (a.k.a. next Friday). I'm genuinely confused -- are US release dates not the dates posted on websites?
"
It goes like this: online "release dates" are for the most part "ship dates". For instance, the upcoming game HAWX is slated for a March 3rd release date. Because it's not a super-high-profile title, it will drop on March 4th (Wednesday) for most people. For very highly anticipated games (Halo 3, Street Fighter 4, Call of Duty 4, BioShock, etc.) a game will get "street dated", which signifies that the game is important enough to actually sell on the "release date" instead of shipping on the "release date". It's a little confusing.