This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by FredPeterson (14 posts) -

Saw this the other day - http://www.gamewise.co/

"Everything you ever wanted to know about video games"

Sounds like a poor attempt to copy Giantbomb to me?

#2 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

Actually, GB is just a wiki on the genreal game.

sounds like gamewise will also be featuring FAQ's and walktroughs. They are basicly combining <randomgame>wikia.com and gamefaqs

The world has no need for multiple wiki's as that just leads to dilution. May the best wiki survive!

#3 Posted by FredPeterson (14 posts) -

Giantbomb has Walkthroughs as well?

#4 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Giant Bomb isn't the first gaming website, get over it.

#5 Posted by Three0neFive (2305 posts) -

it never ceases to amaze me what some of you people think giant bomb pioneered

#6 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (454 posts) -

@Three0neFive said:

find me another Luchadeer

#7 Posted by Three0neFive (2305 posts) -

@fuzzybunny566 said:

@Three0neFive said:

find me another Luchadeer

fair point

#8 Posted by FredPeterson (14 posts) -

Which site did the whole user-edited game wiki thing before Giantbomb then??

#9 Posted by Branthog (5613 posts) -

@FredPeterson said:

They did. There are guides. Well there are guide sections. I don't know whatever happened to people *doing* guides.

#10 Posted by misfeasor (27 posts) -

I'm fairly new to the site and recently noticed the guides section of the user profile. I was considering doing some guides for older games when I noticed there's no way to actually upload the guide.

#11 Posted by FredPeterson (14 posts) -

@misfeasor said:

I'm fairly new to the site and recently noticed the guides section of the user profile. I was considering doing some guides for older games when I noticed there's no way to actually upload the guide.

Yeah I had the same issue - has the feature been removed? Is this anything to do with WM being sold?

#12 Posted by MB (13409 posts) -

@FredPeterson said:

@misfeasor said:

Yeah I had the same issue - has the feature been removed? Is this anything to do with WM being sold?

Guides have been busted for awhile now...it's a pretty low priority at the moment.

#13 Posted by Gamer_152 (14143 posts) -

@FredPeterson said:

@misfeasor said:

A couple of answers here. Firstly, Whiskey Media was not sold. The websites that made up the company were all sold off but Whiskey Media as an entity in itself is now gone. Secondly, as far as I know you should be able to go to any game page on the site, click "guides", click "Create a guide" and then submit your guide. If this is not possible then a bug report may be necessary.

#14 Posted by FredPeterson (14 posts) -

Normally when somebody buys a company it just gets swallowed up into the new one - is that different to what has happened here? I'm confused.

#15 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

@FredPeterson said:

Which site did the whole user-edited game wiki thing before Giantbomb then??

http://dragonage.neoseeker.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki

Just to name a few....

#16 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@FredPeterson said:

According to Dave, Probably not for much longer.

#17 Posted by BisonHero (7692 posts) -

@FredPeterson said:

Normally when somebody buys a company it just gets swallowed up into the new one - is that different to what has happened here? I'm confused.

Whiskey Media wasn't sold off. Instead, the different sites under Whiskey Media were sold off to two different places (CBSi and Kaiser Wilhelm). In short, nobody absorbed Whiskey Media, because Whiskey Media essentially auctioned off its different websites, plus whatever equipment Whiskey Media owned. I believe Tested and Screened ended up with all of the equipment, which is why Giant Bomb has been ordering a bunch of equipment for the past month or so.

#18 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

GiantBomb sn't all about the wiki (even though it's a big part of it). I can't say GB is being copied.

#19 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (454 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@FredPeterson said:

According to Dave, Probably not for much longer.

and since gamefaqs.com is a sister site now, that would fulfill most walkthrough/guide/faq needs...except for those written with a certain "flair" only found on giant bomb

#20 Posted by FredPeterson (14 posts) -

Looks like the site is now live...

#21 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (454 posts) -

and look where we are now...

#22 Edited by Barrock (3563 posts) -

And they jacked a bunch of our info.

#25 Posted by Trace (3583 posts) -

Looks like the thread's back over here.

Since we don't need two threads on the same topic going at the same time, I'm locking this.