#1 Edited by DrBroel (33 posts) -

I saw this new site in a Huffington Post article: Gamewise Is the IMDb of Video Games.

I wanted to see if the site had more extensive credit information than Giantbomb and found assets from the site on it: http://gamewise.co/games/17461/Grim-Fandango/Credits.

Notice the GiantBomb Logo where certain pictures of of the developers are absent. This that the credits pages are probably just pulling data straight from giantbomb respective pages. Which is shady considering the site is more or less a direct competitor.

#2 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

I'm only okay with it if they're Russian.

#3 Posted by Forcen (1804 posts) -

Well that's shitty of them. What to do now? Call them out on Twitter? On their forums?

#4 Edited by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

Pretty funny seeing GB logos all over that page you linked. Well now that Giant Bomb isn't the independent startup anymore they should be able to get some legal action going.

#5 Edited by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

When Giant Bomb first started a lot of the hard data (i.e. game titles, person names) was pulled from MobyGames, with their permission. I think this is fine as long as they asked permission and they're not straight up pulling wiki articles or things like that.

edit: looks like they didn't ask permission

#6 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

they deleted those images, it looks like.

#7 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Anyone have any screenshots of this?

#8 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

I hope so. I sent a tweet to the author of that article and after I linked back to the Grim Fandango page, the images had been removed. I dont recall the other two names that had the GB logo as an image, but "Lleslle Aclaro" for sure was one of them.

#9 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

I hope so. I sent a tweet to the author of that article and after I linked back to the Grim Fandango page, the images had been removed. I dont recall the other two names that had the GB logo as an image, but "Lleslle Aclaro" for sure was one of them.

Well it looks like they may be covering their tracks a bit.

#10 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

identical info, word for word.

http://gamewise.co/people/5571/Peter-McConnell

http://www.giantbomb.com/peter-mcconnell/3040-2278/

#11 Edited by Jrstrid3r (9 posts) -

@snide:

http://gamewise.co/people/24045/David-Vallone

http://gamewise.co/games/15706/Full-Throttle/Credits

#12 Edited by Istealdreams (148 posts) -
#13 Posted by Forcen (1804 posts) -

Save the pages with firefox if you see it live.

#14 Edited by English (158 posts) -
#15 Edited by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

Looks like they're straight up pulling pages too. I'm looking at some more obscure pages now. Check out the Famicom Tantei Club Part II page (i.e. the characters) and compare it to the page we have on the site. Identical images and names, even for the unnamed protagonist (I created a page for "Tantei Club Member").

Same deck on those two:

"A member of the titular Tantei Club in the Famicom Tantei Club franchise, as well as the main protagonist of the first two games."

#16 Edited by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

@snide

guess they are watching this thread, as both of those are now gone as well!!! SHADY FUCKERS!!!

#17 Edited by DrBroel (33 posts) -
#18 Edited by Live2bRighteous (314 posts) -

Hey, you pieces of shit. Stop stealing from other people and learn a little of something called work. It helps in the long run.

#19 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

@drbroel: Yeah, I'm finding that character pages have the descriptive text straight up ripped. I haven't come across any plagiarized game pages yet, maybe they scrub them before importing, because I'm seeing a lot of similar images.

#20 Edited by DrBroel (33 posts) -

Yeah every character page i check has GiantBomb's word for word wiki info.

#21 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -
#22 Edited by casper_ (901 posts) -

this is so fucked up

#23 Edited by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

I would suggest directing the author of the article to this Topic. I already have. https://twitter.com/DrewAHendricks

#24 Posted by chilibean_3 (1618 posts) -

This is a lot less funny than gamebomb.ru.

#25 Edited by Nightriff (4911 posts) -

I'm absolutely disgusted by this, ripping off GB is like stabbing a family member then taking their wallet, then that moron calls them the "IMDB of video games" what a tool, didn't do enough research I see.

I say we should try and bring down the site, this pisses me off

EDIT: Even if the community are the ones ripping the info, doesn't matter, shouldn't have gotten away with this for over 2 months basically

EDIT 2: These people fucked with the wrong community, most wouldn't care but probably messed with one of the most passionate VG communities, people (YOU GUYS) have spent hours and days of your time writing this up for GB and they are just ripping it and taking credit for it, mother fuckers

#26 Edited by Optix12 (610 posts) -

As busy as @snide Dave is I think best course is if you find any more evidence, PM him?

#27 Edited by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Those guys are dicks, be sure to spread the word on twitter where possible and keep taking those screenshots.

#28 Posted by DrBroel (33 posts) -

Also I suspect that the websites claims about how many members it has are highly inflated, considering the site only launched last month. The site has over 4000 ratings for Skyrim. Just doesn't seem possible for those rating to be all real people and not just some made up number to makes it seem authoritative.

#29 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

@optix12: keeping info for something like this in a singular location is probably alot easier to manage than him getting a ton of PMs and images.

#30 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -

Wow... can someone contact the editor from HuffPo and correct them by saying Giant Bomb is the IMDB of video games.

#31 Posted by Nightriff (4911 posts) -
#32 Posted by Optix12 (610 posts) -

@istealdreams: True just saying im sure if his computer collects the screenshots etc. if there is possibly legal recourse it may hold up better. And if they are following this thread (which seems like it might be the case) he can get a jump that way. Im no legal master so not sure if they want legal action those screens could hold. (then again google cache could work right?

#33 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1943 posts) -

Just thought I'd dump a few more here for posterity's sake. What are the legal ramifications of this? Does the information in the GB wiki count as CBSi properties, or what?

#34 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

Some good sleuthing, fellas.

#35 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

commented on the article in question:

#36 Edited by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

author responded to my tweet:

meanwhile on gamewise facebook:

#37 Posted by Nightriff (4911 posts) -

author responded to my tweet:

Good on you, saw on twitter, was going to write him myself but you took care of it, cheers duder

#38 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

Wow, their Nintendo 3DS page is almost word for word from Wikipedia too. Seems like their users enjoy plagiarism.

#39 Edited by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -

Thieving-ass scumbuckets. Drop a bomb on 'em.

EDIT: This is appropriate:

#40 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

The author is adjusting the story now. Mission complete.

#41 Posted by Pr1mus (3805 posts) -

Jeff and crew should go there and trash their office NWO style.

#42 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

The interesting thing about this is that, while a few pages do list "contributors," several pages have zero contributors. I'm assuming this means that data was in fact lifted by site administrators.

#43 Edited by corum (18 posts) -

Gamewise respondend on Facebook:

Gamewise We have full contribution guidelines here -http://gamewise.co/contributions/guide/7/Contribution-Guidelines - "By submitting content, you are agreeing to the Gamewise Terms of Use which clearly states that it is the responsibility of the user to ensure that they own the intellectual property rights of any content they submit." We will be looking over the content highlighted and removing if it is seen to have been in breach of copyright.

Guess they don't want to mess with a potential action of CBSi legal team.

#44 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=426771994067272&id=183356741764123&comment_id=2958346&notif_t=share_reply

they may need to just remove their site from the internet to comply with those, lol.

#45 Edited by Wacomole (815 posts) -
@starfoxa said:

The interesting thing about this is that, while a few pages do list "contributors," several pages have zero contributors. I'm assuming this means that data was in fact lifted by site administrators.

Exactly

@corum said:

Gamewise respondend on Facebook:

...the Gamewise Terms of Use which clearly states that it is the responsibility of the user to ensure that they own the intellectual property rights of any content they submit." We will be looking over the content highlighted and removing if it is seen to have been in breach of copyright.

Notice the zero contributors to their page above, yet it has content... exactly the same content as the details put into the wiki here ages ago.

EDIT: And all of a sudden a user called "Smithy" edits the above page. Nice that old companies from the 80s can get some interest just out of the blue like that.

#46 Posted by DrBroel (33 posts) -

This was not the result of some rogue users uploading stuff they shouldn't. You don't get 19000 character pages and 90,000 person pages in a month, without some sort of systemic method involving importing GiantBomb's Data.

#47 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Man that is fucked up. Good work by everybody to find this out and take action.

#48 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

I hope Giant Bomb is on the phone with lawyers and getting ready to put these guys in their place promptly.

#49 Posted by Porkellain (253 posts) -
#50 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

i replied back. its waiting moderation