#501 Posted by BrianP (390 posts) -

@drbroel said:

Is there any way to prove that Gamewise's user count is fabricated. Clearly that "90,000 users" number on the front page is a fantasy. Also stuff like the number user ratings on each game page is obviously made up. There are 4,500 user votes for skyrim, which has been going up 250 votes per day, since i've been looking at it. And we can actually see there is only a handful of contributing users on the site.

Also, even if Gamewise deletes all the stolen wiki content from their pages, they still have empty pages for 20,000 character which wouldn't even exist if they hadn't imported all of GiantBomb's data. And they advertise that huge number pages as a claim to authority, on their front page, and in the huffpost article.

While I think the 90,000 number is totally made up, they do make you rate games when you are signing up for the site before you can actually start using it. When I signed up (out of curiosity and to see if they had a user list) Skyrim was the first game listed that you had the option to review.

#502 Edited by StarvingGamer (7923 posts) -

@mechakirby:

• Guy at Huffpo writes an article about GameWise, the "IMDB of video games"
  • 99.9% of site data appears to be ripped directly from GB, with uniform formatting errors and the GB logo as placeholder images
  • Writer is confronted about this, says he will look into it and update the article
  • We find out that this writer also works for gamrReview, apparently alongside an editor for GameWise
  • Conflict of interest whistle is blown, people are outraged
  • In the meantime, GameWise is systematically deleting any and all content ripped from GiantBomb
  • Admin from GameWise comes to GB to try and defend the site, claiming that the obvious scraping of GB database is actually independent work of users
  • Same admin is then traced back to commenter on original Huffpo article, masquerading as an anonymous user, credibility is shot
  • Shots fired at GiantBomb claiming site was founded in a similar fasion, by scraping MobyGames
  • Second GameWise admin jumps in, much gnashing of teeth
  • Admin apologizes, admits pretending to be unaffiliated with the site initially was a poor choice
  • Writer apologizes, claims to have requested his article be removed from Huffpo, seemingly sincere with no actual "foul play"
  • GameWise scrape of GB traced back to before their site went into open beta, no way admins could have known data was suspect
  • Clearly the only real bad dudes here are the site creators themselves
  • No word from GB or CBSi

In a nutshell

#503 Posted by leebmx (2211 posts) -

Brilliant work everyone.

Someone should make this thread into a book or a play.....I would do it but I wouldn't want to be done for plagarism.

#504 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

@starvinggamer: Well, both Dave and Jeff said they were aware of the situation, but that was it.

#505 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So the huffington post topic is still there.

#506 Edited by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Yeah...it's a bit odd that it isn't gone yet, but I really have no clue what the process is for removing posts from Huffington Post.

Moderator Online
#507 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4906 posts) -
#508 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

How am I just learning about all this? This shit all sounds crazy.

#509 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Chaser324 How long has it been since he said he asked for it taken down? I am on the mobile site and the connection where I am is a bit slow.

#510 Posted by Hailinel (23698 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Yeah...it's a bit odd that it isn't gone yet, but I really have no clue what the process is for removing posts from Huffington Post.

That's assuming that the request to take the article down was ever actually submitted.

#511 Edited by Sweep (8793 posts) -

The core issue here isn't the Huffpost article, it's that gamewise has been abusing our API. I appreciate that the writer has ties to the site, but if DrewH is genuinely sorry and the article is taken down then I would consider any beefs with the Huffington Post resolved. At worst the article was merely an elaborate advertisement for the site - barren of journalistic integrity, perhaps, but if Gamewise hadn't been abusing our API then it would have been of zero consequence.

Gamewise, however, still doesn't seem to appreciate just how badly they have fucked up.

#512 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Sweep I love that the official founders have not said a thing at all

#513 Posted by LordAndrew (14420 posts) -

@Sweep The fact that the pages were created alphabetically suggests that they did not touch the API. The old API did support sorting, but if the documentation was correct this only worked for certain types, none of which Gamewise copied. The API also requires an account and an API key. An API helps a lot in case the HTML structure changes, but since this was just a single mass import, scraping would have worked just fine.

#514 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The huffington topic is still there so I am wondering if drewh on the forums is even real.

#515 Posted by Optix12 (609 posts) -

@leebmx said:

Brilliant work everyone.

Someone should make this thread into a book or a play.....I would do it but I wouldn't want to be done for plagarism.

I feel an Aaron Sorkin led miniseries on Netflix would ideally emphasize the amount of tension and drama each page of this thread had.

#516 Posted by Monkeyman04 (998 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Well, his twitter is attached to drewh. Not sure how easy it is to but someone else's twitter on one's account.

#517 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

@jakob187: Yeah duder, SexyToad just said this "If anyone does find more pages, I recommend not saying it out loud, upload a screen shot on a separate site, and send it to snide."

Just coming back, despite all the new developments, to point out that whether or not anything gets deleted from the site, the screenshot already exists and Giant Bomb themselves would have timestamps as to when any edits to their Wikis have been done. I have not edited the Yasumi Matsuno page in a LONG while (which reminds me that it needs stuff about Crimson Shroud, but I feel like I need to wait now until resolutions have been found with all this stuff).

Nonetheless, between this thread, the screenshots, the timestamps, and many other fail safes in place, it doesn't matter where the fuck you post something.

One question: it is already established that it's the site itself who is pulling the data from GB and not some guy who is copy/paste-ing this shit, right? I mean, just like @jakob187: exemplified, there is 0 contributors to that page and yet it's filled with content. It must be a code built-in that is doing this, right? If this is the case, then it's some serious stuff. Not cool at all.

This guy points out exactly what I was trying to get across: zero contributors with full information, word for word what I wrote in Notepad and transferred over to the GB Wiki. Moreover, all of the info is STILL up there as of this date and posting. I'm sure now it could go **poof**, but for some reason, I just don't see it happening, since I posted my screenshot a while ago and all the info is still there.

#518 Posted by Porkellain (253 posts) -

Just threw a reminder to Hendricks, since the article is still there, maybe @Chaser324 can ask him via Twitter how long does it take?

#519 Edited by Video_Game_King (35849 posts) -
#520 Posted by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -
Moderator Online
#521 Posted by TooWalrus (13132 posts) -

So I haven't checked out this thread in awhile. Have we figured out if this was intentional plagiarism on the part of GameWise, or just some overzealous Wiki editors who didn't understand/didn't care about copy & pasting content?

#522 Edited by Video_Game_King (35849 posts) -

@toowalrus:

From what I've read, it seems an automated process put in place before users were even allowed in.

#523 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So I haven't checked out this thread in awhile. Have we figured out if this was intentional plagiarism on the part of GameWise, or just some overzealous Wiki editors who didn't understand/didn't care about copy & pasting content?

Lord Andrew says it looks like it happened before users even where allowed.

#524 Posted by TechHits (1365 posts) -

So is anything going to come of this?

#525 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

And the daily round-up: The HuffPo article is still up and GameWise owners still silent.

#526 Edited by zFUBARz (621 posts) -

Anybody want to draft a solid mass email we can send to huffpo? I can't imagine it takes a week for something like that to get reviewed so at this point it seems like Mr Hendricks was speaking from his posterior about his intentions to be reputable.

#527 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -

It's really disturbing to think that thousand of hours worth of work people have put into GB is just being taken advantage of by some asshole third party, and that the staff are seemingly not doing anything about it. I hope they are, even if they aren't telling us yet.

#528 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@snail the staff CAN'T do anything. If anything can be done its for the lawyers. Which also means the staff can't talk about it

However we are helping by bringing this to light and forcing gamewise to deal with it.

The only thing we can do is just make sure the reddit thread stays alive and that giantbomb stays the best in original user made game data base.

#529 Posted by LordAndrew (14420 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Well, his twitter is attached to drewh. Not sure how easy it is to but someone else's twitter on one's account.

You would need to be logged into the Twitter account or be able log into the Twitter account in order to accept Giant Bomb's authentication request. So it's either Drew Hendricks or someone else who has access to his Twitter account.

#530 Posted by alternate (2679 posts) -

It think this drama is over for now.

CBS are not going to unleash the lawyers (and their billables) over a minor thing like this and if there is even the grain of truth to how GB got their database started then they will not want to dredge that up in a mud slinging contest.

#531 Edited by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Well, I guess nothing changed. War never changes.

#532 Edited by Slag (3923 posts) -

@winternet: of course it didn't.

These people were never sorry in my opinion, if they were gamewise's wiki data would been completely removed and all data from the suspect time period scrubbed, and HuffPo guy's obvious PR puff piece job would have been pulled within hours.

Instead they likely made up BS reasons why they couldn't do the two obvious things that most honest people would do after discovering an honest mistake. Not knowing who supposedly contributed the obviously copied content is no excuse, and the huffpo guy had zero excuse to not pull the article or at the very least amend it unless he was paid by gamewise to write it (which based off his linkedin resume looks like a definite possibility).

Eventhough he was "out of town" and "looking into the issue", he still somehow found time to write his next two blog articles.

they were just stalling us and hoping people would lose interest.

Can I prove it? No of course not, but that is the image of the situation their actions have communicated.

oh well it's Giantbomb's battle to fight not mine or anybody else here really. Either CBS legal will take action or they won't.