#151 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

I sent a link to this topic to @thepareport

#152 Edited by Fattony12000 (7049 posts) -

Had a little look at their whois, they've registered using a protection company so I can't get at any real details, but it does have some stuff that might be useful to tracking them down/getting in touch. They appear to be UK based, which now makes this my nation's greatest ever tragedy.

I'll go through and capture video of hundreds of pages when I can.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=gamewise.co

• Domain Name: GAMEWISE.CO
  • Domain ID: D6947523-CO
  • Registrar-Reseller Name: 123-reg/Webfusion
  • Registrar-Reseller URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk
  • Sponsoring Registrar: DOMAINBOX.COM
  • Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 1390
  • Registrar URL (registration services): www.domainbox.com
  • Domain Status: ok
  • Registrant ID: MNTAD56060793
  • Registrant Name: Identity Protection Service
  • Registrant Organization: Identity Protect Limited
  • Registrant Address1: PO Box 795
  • Registrant City: Godalming
  • Registrant State/Province: Surrey
  • Registrant Postal Code: GU7 9GA
  • Registrant Country: UNITED KINGDOM
  • Registrant Country Code: GB
  • Registrant Phone Number: +44.1483307527
  • Registrant Facsimile Number: +44.1483304031
  • Registrant Email: gamewise.co@identity-protect.org
  • Administrative Contact ID: MNTAD56060793
  • Administrative Contact Name: Identity Protection Service
  • Administrative Contact Organization: Identity Protect Limited
  • Administrative Contact Address1: PO Box 795
  • Administrative Contact City: Godalming
  • Administrative Contact State/Province: Surrey
  • Administrative Contact Postal Code: GU7 9GA
  • Administrative Contact Country: UNITED KINGDOM
  • Administrative Contact Country Code: GB
  • Administrative Contact Phone Number: +44.1483307527
  • Administrative Contact Facsimile Number: +44.1483304031
  • Administrative Contact Email: gamewise.co@identity-protect.org
  • Billing Contact ID: MNTAD56060793
  • Billing Contact Name: Identity Protection Service
  • Billing Contact Organization: Identity Protect Limited
  • Billing Contact Address1: PO Box 795
  • Billing Contact City: Godalming
  • Billing Contact State/Province: Surrey
  • Billing Contact Postal Code: GU7 9GA
  • Billing Contact Country: UNITED KINGDOM
  • Billing Contact Country Code: GB
  • Billing Contact Phone Number: +44.1483307527
  • Billing Contact Facsimile Number: +44.1483304031
  • Billing Contact Email: gamewise.co@identity-protect.org
  • Technical Contact ID: MNTAD56060793
  • Technical Contact Name: Identity Protection Service
  • Technical Contact Organization: Identity Protect Limited
  • Technical Contact Address1: PO Box 795
  • Technical Contact City: Godalming
  • Technical Contact State/Province: Surrey
  • Technical Contact Postal Code: GU7 9GA
  • Technical Contact Country: UNITED KINGDOM
  • Technical Contact Country Code: GB
  • Technical Contact Phone Number: +44.1483307527
  • Technical Contact Facsimile Number: +44.1483304031
  • Technical Contact Email: gamewise.co@identity-protect.org

Name Server: NS2.123-REG.CO.UK

Name Server: NS.123-REG.CO.UK

Created by Registrar: DOMAINBOX.COM

Last Updated by Registrar: DOMAINBOX.COM

• Domain Registration Date: Thu Aug 25 19:42:09 GMT 2011
  • Domain Expiration Date: Sat Aug 24 23:59:59 GMT 2013
  • Domain Last Updated Date: Wed Aug 08 10:24:18 GMT 2012

Whois database was last updated on: Fri Feb 22 00:42:51 GMT 2013

#153 Posted by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

Do the pictures link back to here? Could we change all the wiki pictures to dicks?

#154 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Wouldn't a serious company want to have their proper phone numbers and such on there? I mean that's what CBSi does. I mean why would they want to hide it. I'm not up to date with web hosting norms.

#155 Edited by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

https://twitter.com/Gamewise_co

https://twitter.com/HuffPostBlog

#156 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

"Gamewise is the IMDb of Video Games."

I'm sure IMDb appreciates being leeched for reputation and recognition status in a slogan of another website...

I must say, their wisdom is radiant.

#157 Edited by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I've checked the Giant Bomb wiki against the Google caches of some of the pages that admin has been editing, and they have been deleting text from their wiki which has been copied verbatim from this site. It's entirely possible that the admin there has good intentions, and is just trying to get rid of the kind of content we have a problem with, and keep things in line with their site rules, but this is not the way to handle a situation like this, and I still have major concerns about what that site may have done with the Giant Bomb API in the first place.

#158 Edited by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

I think another big issue is that they are directly profiting from Giantbomb user created data as well as a completely ill-informed article that clearly had minimal research put into it that states the gamewise is the next big "Game" info site.

With 130 tweets, and 100 facebook reposts, this article would have better served Giantbombs interests instead of a company that plagiarized data from here.

#159 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I've checked the Giant Bomb wiki against the Google caches of some of the pages that admin has been editing, and they have been deleting text from their wiki which has been copied verbatim from this site. It's entirely possible that the admin there has good intentions, and is just trying to get rid of the kind of content we have a problem with, and keep things in line with their site rules, but this is not the way to handle a situation like this, and I still have major concerns about what that site may have done with the Giant Bomb API in the first place.

So ya hes been hiding it. If they messed with the API then thats illegal right? Can you show what you found to snide?

#160 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@gamer_152: If they are using the API for this, they have practically broken every single Term of Use, do you think this could become more serious (like legal action)? or am I jumping the gun on this?

#161 Posted by Xymox (2068 posts) -

I'm all for healthy competition, but this is just blatantly stealing the work done by GB users and claiming it as their own.

I found this one to be quite funny:
http://gamewise.co/games/1938/Anarchy-Online/Characters-List

http://www.giantbomb.com/anarchy-online/3030-13479/

No one's gonna manually add that. I say shut those fuckers down, every single page is ripped straight from giantbomb.

#162 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@gamer_152 said:

So ya hes been hiding it. If they messed with the API then thats illegal right? Can you show what you found to snide?

Well I'm not a lawyer, but yes, I believe if that's what they did it would be illegal. I do plan to pass what I've found onto Dave.

#163 Edited by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

It's copyright infringement at least, but if they remove all the infringing content that problem goes away.

#164 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

Anyone else kinda glad that we have the CBS legal team?

#165 Posted by TheHT (10884 posts) -

@sweep said:

TOP MEN

#166 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@theht said:

@sweep said:

TOP MEN

WITH LAWYERS!

#167 Edited by Ben_H (3311 posts) -

That is really greasy. I checked and at least they didn't steal my SimGolf wiki stuff (I haven't checked my Animal Crossing stuff yet). If they would have taken any of my work there would have been a number of very angry emails flying at them along with their Facebook page being spammed (though it already should be since they are thieves).

Edit: Wow their Character pages are awful. They link to the wrong character so much. In Animal Crossing a ton of the character links are to obscure JRPG characters that share the name of the townsfolk.

#168 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

@serhulse said:

@gamer_152: If they are using the API for this, they have practically broken every single Term of Use, do you think this could become more serious (like legal action)? or am I jumping the gun on this?

Maybe the CBSi will get the legal team involved, but it's all rather speculative and I think the idea that they're going to rise up and completely destroy these guys for stealing some wiki content is perhaps a bit misjudged.

#169 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

@ben_h said:
Edit: Wow their Character pages are awful. They link to the wrong character so much. In Animal Crossing a ton of the character links are to obscure JRPG characters that share the name of the townsfolk.

Then what the hell are the ID numbers in the URL for? That's really sloppy work.

#170 Edited by Optix12 (611 posts) -

@ben_h said:

That is really greasy. I checked and at least they didn't steal my SimGolf wiki stuff (I haven't checked my Animal Crossing stuff yet). If they would have taken any of my work there would have been a number of very angry emails flying at them along with their Facebook page being spammed (though it already should be since they are thieves).

If you are the guy that wrote the Animal Crossing Overall franchise stuff then you might be a little pissed. Im using google chrome which as a simple cache:"whatever link in these quotes without the quotations" (example cache:http://www.giantbomb.com) to find cached versions of the website. While I am also not signed up or whatever to this I can only read the first paragraph it is letter for letter the same. : Giant Link I made into this line. Through the blurring i can still see the trivia and activites headers.

#171 Posted by Fattony12000 (7049 posts) -

@optix12: Just right click and choose inspect element (using Chrome) to read the html. It really is a sloppily made piece of shit website.

#172 Posted by SerHulse (685 posts) -

@serhulse said:

Maybe the CBSi will get the legal team involved, but it's all rather speculative and I think the idea that they're going to rise up and completely destroy these guys for stealing some wiki content is perhaps a bit misjudged.

Just so we are clear, I'm not saying Giant Bomb/CBSi should take them for everything they own, I'm just curious exactly how much hot water these guys could be in.

#173 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

They most be stopped! This is worse than gamebomb.ru.

#174 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

@serhulse said:
@gamer_152 said:

@serhulse said:

Just so we are clear, I'm not saying Giant Bomb/CBSi should take them for everything they own, I'm just curious exactly how much hot water these guys could be in.

We've seen cease and desist orders for smaller things before. I'm assuming all Giant Bomb has to do is make a call to the legal team. They'll look into it and send the C&D order.

I would honestly assume CBSi would want to protect its assets no matter how small the problem may be.

I also kind of wish GB users didn't come forward to that other website with bloody murder and instead kept it to this thread and to dave. That way all that content would still be on there.

#175 Edited by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

@aaron_g said:

They most be stopped! This is worse than gamebomb.ru.

Haha, gotta love gamebomb.ru

#176 Edited by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

@jams: screenshots have been taken, and cached versions of the site exist. Also, who would have thought that it would have come to this point of them scrubbing their site of info. I think most of us were looking for credit to be placed where credit is due, especially since their site is so heavily ad based.

#177 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

They cleaned up a lot of stuff. I can't find anymore pages easily. I have screen shots of over 10.

#178 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@optix12: Just right click and choose inspect element (using Chrome) to read the html. It really is a sloppily made piece of shit website.

Anyway you can see if that traces back to the Giantbomb API?

#179 Edited by Optix12 (611 posts) -

@istealdreams: It just reminds me of the Lauren Wainwright thing of making it worse when she tried to remove all teh Square Enix relations from her profiles.

#180 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

@fattony12000: Oh wow I've never thought of that.. I'm gonna try that on a few locked down architecture sites. Cheers.

#181 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

Aaaaand they are even spying on my profile, it seems they've deleted some pages that I took screen shots of, and sent to Dave. I guess I'll just find even MORE and upload them through Dropbox. But for today, I'm going to sleep.

This is making things seem like you're fighting some major government conspiracy.

So of course I made this.

@ZombiePie, this better be at the top of this week's Spotlight.

#182 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

Aaaaand they are even spying on my profile, it seems they've deleted some pages that I took screen shots of, and sent to Dave. I guess I'll just find even MORE and upload them through Dropbox. But for today, I'm going to sleep.

This is making things seem like you're fighting some major government conspiracy.

So of course I made this.

@ZombiePie, this better be at the top of this week's Spotlight.

It has been said many times before.

This is why I love GiantBomb.com

#183 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Craig Snow

Craig is a law and politics graduate from the UK who somehow found his way into the media side of the gaming industry. As well as being a member of the Gamewise staff, he is Editor-in-Chief of gaming blog gamrReview. He lists StarCraft: Brood War, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, Shadow of the Colossus, The Orange Box (in particular Portal), Mirror’s Edge and Race Driver: GRID as his favourite games.

About Gamewise

@Gamer_152: Remember this? He also accused Gamewise of copying Giant Bomb on his first day here. His posts also include this gem. All of those links go to gamrReview, which happens to have a Gamewise connection.

How could he have known Gamewise would be copying Giant Bomb before the site launched? Something is going on here.

What about that name, Fred Peterson? Is he a gamrReview staff member? He's not on the list. But another familiar name is: Drew Hendricks.

Drew Hendricks

Drew Hendricks is an avid gamer and writer. As well as writing for gamrReview, he currently writes for Huffington Post and National Geographic.

#184 Posted by cannedstingray (387 posts) -

@nightriff:

@istealdreams said:

author responded to my tweet:

Good on you, saw on twitter, was going to write him myself but you took care of it, cheers duder

I didn't read the original article yesterday, but I just went and found it on the Huff Post, and it doesn't seem like he's made any corrections, or updated the article to reflect the "alleged" copypasting that has been going on. It is obvious though that a ton of wiki entries have been pulled from gamewise, which to me is a direct admission of wrongdoing on their part.

But the Drew Hendricks article is still singing the praises of the Gamewise website.

#185 Edited by Voxus (320 posts) -

Craig Snow

Craig is a law and politics graduate from the UK who somehow found his way into the media side of the gaming industry. As well as being a member of the Gamewise staff, he is Editor-in-Chief of gaming blog gamrReview. He lists StarCraft: Brood War, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, Shadow of the Colossus, The Orange Box (in particular Portal), Mirror’s Edge and Race Driver: GRID as his favourite games.

About Gamewise

@Gamer_152: Remember this? He also accused Gamewise of copying Giant Bomb on his first day here. His posts also include this gem. All of those links go to gamrReview, which happens to have a Gamewise connection.

How could he have known Gamewise would be copying Giant Bomb before the site launched? Something is going on here.

What about that name, Fred Peterson? Is he a gamrReview staff member? He's not on the list. But another familiar name is: Drew Hendricks.

Drew Hendricks

Drew Hendricks is an avid gamer and writer. As well as writing for gamrReview, he currently writes for Huffington Post and National Geographic.

SHIT. JUST. GOT. REAL.

#187 Posted by WalkerD (461 posts) -

@lordandrew: My god, that's some solid detective work.

#188 Posted by BrianP (407 posts) -

Craig Snow

About Gamewise

Drew Hendricks

#189 Edited by Warfare (1632 posts) -

@0blivion said:

@lordandrew said:

Craig Snow

About Gamewise

Drew Hendricks

SHIT. JUST. GOT. REAL.

DrewH

"I just paid attention to what was tweeted at me about the article. I just wrote about a site I found to be interesting as I'd never seen anything like it or anything like this site either. I'm working on updating the article to reflect these recent findings."

"No kidding? It takes at least 24 hours minimum for updates to happen."

#190 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The post guy still has made no changes to his thing about gamewise. Hopefully @snide is working in getting something done about all the content rip.

#191 Posted by WalkerD (461 posts) -

@warfare: This is some reeeeeeeal dirty shit.

#192 Posted by leebmx (2216 posts) -

@fattony12000: Mate, if you find they are UK based how's about me and you round up some other UKGBers and trash their offices? I have a yellow belt in Karate and can throw a brick really quite hard.

On a larger note, I fucking love this community when things like this happen. Its like some 80's movie when the neighbourhood kids decide to solve a crime and there is some scene of them all wearing balacalvas peddling furiously on BMX's to catch the villain. Except in this film everyone is the geeky techno-wizard.

#193 Edited by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

I think @LordAndrew may have just usurped me chief detective of the Giant Bomb squad (a title which I earned for the hilarious outing of "Gamergirl197811" in this thread). The author of the Huffington Post article having an affiliation with the site and not declaring it is reeeaaally shady. Someone should contact the Huffington Post and let them know.

With regards to the plagiarism from Giant Bomb, I'm sure Dave has been in contact with the legal team who will be taking relevant right the wrong that was made. No idea what those steps will be. If I were to guess it'd most likely be a simple cease & deist letter, but I'm no lawyer.

#194 Posted by deano546 (182 posts) -

Craig Snow

About Gamewise

Drew Hendricks

whaaaaaaat

Holy shit.

#195 Edited by Warfare (1632 posts) -
#196 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@MattyFTM that might be good to do. Someone wanna call him out on twitter for his gamewise connections?

#197 Posted by chilibean_3 (1622 posts) -

Yeah. That 24 hour thing didn't smell right at all.

#198 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@deano546 said:

@lordandrew said:

Craig Snow

About Gamewise

Drew Hendricks

whaaaaaaat

Holy shit.

Going to blow this shit wide open.

#199 Edited by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Craig Snow

About Gamewise

Drew Hendricks

#200 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4285 posts) -

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. THESE MOTHERFUCKERS COPIED MY FELICIA PAGE WORD FOR WORD. THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

http://gamewise.co/characters/2780/Felicia

http://www.giantbomb.com/felicia/3005-3115/