Gaming consoles are not reliable anymore!

• 71 results
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eric_buck

Think about this for a second. You could have an original Gameboy from way back when or an N64 and it will still work absolutely fine today. You might need to give it a little hit once in
a while but it will work. Nowadays we're constantly worrying whether our consoles will break down, and this goes for pretty much every single console. I was just hearing about how
some peoples DSs stopped working and how you've got to replace them every couple of years. I, personally, want my consoles to be like books, I want them to last for a long time. 
The 360 is another perfect example of this. There's almost a 100% chance you'll end up getting it replaced every year or two. Even the PS3 has the YROD, and don't even get me started on the
PSP. I guess this is because of the quality of the games there is just so much that can go wrong but, man, I miss old, tough, reliable systems. Just a though I had...
EDIT: Sorry for the messed up format I typed this in. My computer is turning on me...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

Every PS2 I have ever owned got a disk read error.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By eirikr

This is nothing new. My PS1 would stop reading discs with the only solution to place it upside down. And let's not get started on the PS2's disc-reading problems.  Even the NES was poorly designed (by design, if you know the history of the machine) which is why people have to blow on the carts to get them to work, though this was more due to eventual wear than a hardware fault.

Faulty consumer hardware just happens when you mass-produce. And there's nothing more reliable than a good warranty.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189

My xbox red ringed last week. It was a launch one.

Nothing I have ever owned has ever broke. You should take better care of your toys.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eric_buck

*sigh* you guys don't get my point. At least you can blow on the carts to get them to work. You can't blow on your RROD to get it to stop RRODing.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaneDev

I have owned a PS1, N64, PS2, DS,PSP,PS3,Xbox and Xbox 360 and the only one to ever have died was the 360 of the RROD  

I have never had any problems with any of the rest 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60
@ShaneDev said:
" I have owned a PS1, N64, PS2, DS,PSP,PS3,Xbox and Xbox 360 and the only one to ever have died was the 360 of the RROD   I have never had any problems with any of the rest  "
You're lucky then because the PS2 disc read errors were absolutely awful. I got them on 5 PS2s
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaneDev
@CL60 said:
" @ShaneDev said:
" I have owned a PS1, N64, PS2, DS,PSP,PS3,Xbox and Xbox 360 and the only one to ever have died was the 360 of the RROD   I have never had any problems with any of the rest  "
You're lucky then because the PS2 disc read errors were absolutely awful. I got them on 5 PS2s "
Well somtimes my ps2 took ages to recognise disks and sometimes it wouldnt but i just blew it out with compressed air and it was good as new 
 I also found another ps2  and a controller  that somone threw out i took it apart cleaned the inside, found a penny stuck in it, put it back togethar and it also was a good as new 
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

My Ps2 and 360 died multiple times. It's the circle of life. And it moves us all. It's a leap of faith...

No Caption Provided
DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeadMan
@CL60: 
 Three for me, you are very lucky not to get the disk read error on the PS2 or maybe I just have bad luck.
turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By turbo_toaster

I just bought my 360 a few months ago after a year of having a Wii and PS3. I felt it was time to PLAY GAMES AGAIN. I know someday my 360 will slip into a Crimson Coma but until then, I live everyday like it's his last.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Druminator

Yea it seems like things started crapping out with PS. For me anyway. My PS quit reading discs as did my PS2 and XBOX. However all my GameBoys, SNES and N64 still work today. Luckily my 360 is still alive.

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheBigBeefy
@Eric_Buck said:
" *sigh* you guys don't get my point. At least you can blow on the carts to get them to work. You can't blow on your RROD to get it to stop RRODing. "
*buzzer*

Blowing carts to make them work is an urban legend. A false one. Blowing the cart just made us feel like we were doing something.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ

I've never heard of DSs just failing to work... I have heard of the hinges cracking, but other than that NIntendo products have been pretty reliable for as long as I can remember. Sega was pretty good about this as well. Its just the newcomers that don't seem to have hardware figured out. 

zgreenwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By zgreenwell
@Eric_Buck:  I had 2 PS2s break and my old NES you always had to fight to get a game to launch. Every console I've ever owner the controllers wear down and need replaced multiple times. My Super Nintendo's power supply caught fire once too. The power supply on my original Xbox was fine though.
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Guess what?My saints row 2 freezes every 10 minutes on my 360!So im worried my games dont work!And no talk about the psp.IT ALWAYS BREAKS DOWN!!!!:((((((((((((((((((((((((((
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar
@Eric_Buck said:
" *sigh* you guys don't get my point. At least you can blow on the carts to get them to work. You can't blow on your RROD to get it to stop RRODing. "
*Sigh, you just don't get it. blowing in the cart is equivalent to doing the towel trick except the difference is the cart is part of teh hardware so changing the cart/game would give you the illusion that you have prolonged the life of the system.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

yes, things are not getting reliable as they use to be. i'm not to worried about my ps3 dieing as the YLOD is very small percent compared to say the 360's rrod. i think that the problems that the consoles have had made people not want to get the systems on release date.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By Hamst3r

My history with consoles:

Atari: never died.
NES: never died.
Gameboy: never died.   
SNES: died. 
N64: never died.
PSX: died.
XBOX 360: has occasionally show symptoms of dying.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Eric_Buck said:
" Think about this for a second. You could have an original Gameboy from way back when or an N64 and it will still work absolutely fine today. You might need to give it a little hit once in a while but it will work. Nowadays we're constantly worrying whether our consoles will break down, and this goes for pretty much every single console. I was just hearing about how some peoples DSs stopped working and how you've got to replace them every couple of years. I, personally, want my consoles to be like books, I want them to last for a long time.  The 360 is another perfect example of this. There's almost a 100% chance you'll end up getting it replaced every year or two. Even the PS3 has the YROD, and don't even get me started on the PSP. I guess this is because of the quality of the games there is just so much that can go wrong but, man, I miss old, tough, reliable systems. Just a though I had... EDIT: Sorry for the messed up format I typed this in. My computer is turning on me... "
I really love how people are desperately trying to brand PS3's marginal failure percentage with a name as though it's a widespread disaster. YLOD... Haha...

As for your question, it is simply because consoles are a lot more sophisticated these days so, there is always a higher chance of failure.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21  Edited By damnboyadvance

Get over it. Stop whining. Things break. Things eventually need to be fixed. It happens with almost everything, including game consoles.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Famov

I have seven consoles and ten (!) handhelds, and they all still work, though my launch DS has a defective local connection (wifi still works).   

Our videogame consoles should be reliable. A few years of moderate to heavy playtime is NOT an excuse for it to break... And for the most part that's true for the consoles/handhelds this generation, except for the obvious exception.

The PSP is fragile, but I have not heard (or witnessed) that it is necessarily defective. Perhaps I've heard wrong though. My own PSP receives moderate play, but I make sure to take special care of it because it is not a device that can handle being roughed around the way a gameboy or DS can.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

Not an excuse but the fact is computer hardware is getting more and more prone to faults.

I've taken immaculate care of my videogames, yet they still break.  Carpet dust & human dander clog up fans & vents.  Air conditioning during the summer can't keep a piece of computer hardware from getting hot.

I'd love for computers & consoles to be completely reliable, but that's just never been true.  My late model original NES failed utterly within a few years, my SNES wouldn't work reliably by ~1996 having gotten it only in 1993...  Genesis failed earlier.  I have a dead Sega Saturn in my closet.  My PS1s never lasted long without skipping FMV.  I had a Xbox 1 die on me.  I've seen a faulty Gamecube.  Gameboy brick was a tank but had minor problems in about a year...

Things are definitely somewhat worse now, computers are smart enough to know themselves when they are dying.  Whereas a NES would have just crashed utterly in a the middle of a game when bumped, a 360 just won't turn on at all.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zombie2011
 INDESTRUCTIBLE 
 INDESTRUCTIBLE 
AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentofChaos
@zombie2011 said:
"
 INDESTRUCTIBLE 
 INDESTRUCTIBLE 
"
My friend lifted the front u[ while it was running and broke his. Xbox 1 breaks too.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zombie2011
@AgentofChaos said:
" @zombie2011 said:
"
 INDESTRUCTIBLE 
 INDESTRUCTIBLE 
"
My friend lifted the front u[ while it was running and broke his. Xbox 1 breaks too. "
Well of course it broke, MS didn't want people to move the Xbox while it was running thats the reason they made the thing weigh 100lbs. 
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There are a few things that contribute to newer consoles being more susceptible to breaking:

• Moving Parts - Disc drives and hard drives. Anything with moving parts is far more likely to break than something that's purely solid state.
  • Laser Lenses - They are definitely better now, but ask anyone with a launch PS2 and most of them will tell you just how much of a pain they can be.
  • Heat - Processors, RAM, and essentially everything in your consoles are running faster now, and that generates a lot of heat which is very difficult to deal with in the small confined space inside of a modern console.
  • Mass Production - Gaming is simply more popular today than ever before. This popularity means that hardware manufacturers are looking to pump out more consoles, in a shorter time frame, with better cost/profit margins. This leads to less care being taken with the hardware and cheaper components being used where possible.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By DanielJW

I've never had any problems with my Wii, and my brother never had a problem with his PS3. His 360, however, RROD'd twice. My PS2 always worked fine, my PSP has been dropped multiple times and still works. My Gameboy colour, and DS are both functional and doing well.  

Maybe I'm just lucky? I personally haven't had many problems. 

DrRockzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DrRockzo

my ps2 got dropped of my tv 3 or 4 times while i did occasionally get disc read errors, but it still works today i just have to keep my discs scratch free, on the other hand i have already gone threw 2 xbox 360s and know people who have gone threw more

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eric_Buck said:
" My computer is turning on me... "
it sounds like technology has it out for you.
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I hated blowing on the Nintendo 64 carts almost every single time. Although, I loved it at the same time...

the_stig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By the_stig

My atari died on me, NES had to blown into constantly, PSX died half way through the generation, 360 RROD.  My launch PS2 is having troubles now, when I put a PS2 disc in and it starts to spin to say it is loud is bit of an understatement.  However when I put a PSX disc in it is still as quiet as can be.  A console from every generation has ended up dying on me.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Akeldama
@CL60 said:
" Every PS2 I have ever owned got a disk read error. "
and every 360 you own is still fine...how strange.
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By calidan777

The PS1 and PS2 were both garbage (just like the 360, the difference is that Sony never admitted there was a problem and when your PS1/PS2 died you just had to buy a new one), I went through maybe 4 PS1's and my best friend went through 3 PS2's (I didn't buy my first PS2 until the slim came out). I still have my original Xbox and it still works like a champ (and still gets played regularly, I might add) and my Dreamcast still works fine. Cart based systems always seemed to be more reliable than disc based systems.

manu7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By manu7

The YLOD is that big of an issue right? It's just blown out of proportion because all 360's will eventually get RROD. The reason that consoles are not as reliable as before is probably because they make them more and more powerful, taking more power from the outlet and creating more heat.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason sometimes your NES games would work after blowing on them is because you took it out and reseated the game. The springs on the front loading NES wear out and the game won't seat properly on the connectors after being pressed down every time after years of use. The real solution is to shove a book or something in there to hold the tray all the way down.

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lestater
@Eirikr said:
" This is nothing new. My PS1 would stop reading discs with the only solution to place it upside down. And let's not get started on the PS2's disc-reading problems.  Even the NES was poorly designed (by design, if you know the history of the machine) which is why people have to blow on the carts to get them to work, though this was more due to eventual wear than a hardware fault.  Faulty consumer hardware just happens when you mass-produce. And there's nothing more reliable than a good warranty. "
Blowing on a cartridge is a lot simpler than a systemic hardware failure.
eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By eirikr
@Lestater: Yes, and I admitted that. But it's just evidence that consoles being unreliable is nothing new.
Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By Dovey

I must say that I have never had any problems with consoles up until this gen.  Master System, Genesis, PS1, Xbox, GCN.. I had no problems with.  Now I have had an X360, PS3 and Wii all sent back for repair.   And for the record there at one each.  It had been lucky that they have all been within warranty and it doesn't leave a sour point for each of the platform... It just sucks cause it disrupts my experience with these fine machines.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CL60
@Akeldama said:
" @CL60 said:
and every 360 you own is still fine...how strange. "
I never even said that, so good job. I'm on my second 360. My fifth or fourth or something PS2, I had to replace my PS1 multiple times as well. My original Bbox never died and still works like a charm.

Fact is, the PS2 was garbage in the hardware department and broke constantly, and Sony never admitted that there was a major problem with them. While Microsoft is giving free repairs/new 360s if it RRODed or E74ed, warranty doesn't even matter, they WILL give you a free one if you call them.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Akeldama
@CL60 said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @CL60 said:
I never even said that, so good job. I'm on my second 360. My fifth or fourth or something PS2, I had to replace my PS1 multiple times as well. My original Bbox never died and still works like a charm.  Fact is, the PS2 was garbage in the hardware department and broke constantly, and Sony never admitted that there was a major problem with them. While Microsoft is giving free repairs/new 360s if it RRODed or E74ed, warranty doesn't even matter, they WILL give you a free one if you call them. "
dude chill. I was just saying the 360 has a reputation for dying and the PS2 has a reputation for being awesome. Everything i say to you is taken out of context. I think ill stay away from cold and severe CL60
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pause422

This isnt any news...its been true since the first PS1 really. the 360 is by far the biggest failure in terms of reliability, but any console made nowadays has a much much higher failure chance than anything from a while back. Everytime something new comes out and years pass, it will just gradually get worse most likely, as it has so far.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thecleric

My past 360 crashed/froze up atleast 10 times more often than my PC.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CL60
@Akeldama said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Akeldama said:
" @CL60 said:
I never even said that, so good job. I'm on my second 360. My fifth or fourth or something PS2, I had to replace my PS1 multiple times as well. My original Bbox never died and still works like a charm.  Fact is, the PS2 was garbage in the hardware department and broke constantly, and Sony never admitted that there was a major problem with them. While Microsoft is giving free repairs/new 360s if it RRODed or E74ed, warranty doesn't even matter, they WILL give you a free one if you call them. "
dude chill. I was just saying the 360 has a reputation for dying and the PS2 has a reputation for being awesome. Everything i say to you is taken out of context. I think ill stay away from cold and severe CL60 "
The PS2 doesn't have a reputation for breaking because Sony never admitted the problem and for some reason nobody cried about it like they do with the RROD. Literally every single person I know got at least 1 disc read error on their PS2. Some people more then 1.

Sony never offered to give you a free PS2 when it got a disc read error(because they never admitted it was a major problem) while Microsoft on the other hand have said multiple times that they fucked up and they have made the situation better by giving you a free repair/new console regardless if your warranty is up if you get a RROD, or E74. 

Again, I'm pretty clueless as to why Sony fanboys cry constantly telling us that the 360 fails because of the hardware failures yet they at the same time say that the PS2 is the greatest thing of all time and just completely forget about the disc read errors...I guess...they never happened in your eyes?
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Tiwi
@Chaser324 said:
" There are a few things that contribute to newer consoles being more susceptible to breaking:
  • Moving Parts - Disc drives and hard drives. Anything with moving parts is far more likely to break than something that's purely solid state.
  • Laser Lenses - They are definitely better now, but ask anyone with a launch PS2 and most of them will tell you just how much of a pain they can be.
  • Heat - Processors, RAM, and essentially everything in your consoles are running faster now, and that generates a lot of heat which is very difficult to deal with in the small confined space inside of a modern console.
  • Mass Production - Gaming is simply more popular today than ever before. This popularity means that hardware manufacturers are looking to pump out more consoles, in a shorter time frame, with better cost/profit margins. This leads to less care being taken with the hardware and cheaper components being used where possible.
"
this, this is a complete and nearly perfect summary
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Johnny5

my snes still works as well as the day I bought it.  N64 and PS1 on the other hand...

i think its just a change in technology too, its more fragile.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Alex_Murphy
@Druminator said:
" Yea it seems like things started crapping out with PS. For me anyway. My PS quit reading discs as did my PS2 and XBOX. However all my GameBoys, SNES and N64 still work today. Luckily my 360 is still alive. "
I think that's because game systems these days have moving parts that get wear and tear, increase the possibility that something will break. The old cartrage based systems didn't have any moving parts.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Jeust
@tiwi said:
" @Chaser324 said:
" There are a few things that contribute to newer consoles being more susceptible to breaking:
"
this, this is a complete and nearly perfect summary "
also it is profitable to have the client buy a new system from time to time. 

So the main objective, i think, it's not making the console too reliable. 

:p
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Eric_Buck said:

"You could have an original Gameboy from way back when or an N64 and it will still work absolutely fine today "

Both by original Gameboy and my N64 are broken. I also had 2 PS1's break on me, and 2 PS2's break on me. Sure, these are all reasonably recent, we aren't talking about the NES & SNES era, but unreliable consoles have been around for quite a while.
max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By max3000

Haven't read through the entire thread but I have this to say:
More moving parts, more (complicated) optics = greater possibility of something going wrong. Non-optic ROMs need to make a comeback. They are way more reliable.
Edit - Scratch that, everything should be downloadable.