Gaming for free is now illegal

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By fripplebubby

Meh. It should be. Look, I admit to being one of those people who has very little money, and i'm not going to sit here and bullshit you about how free games can be good too. They can't. The fact of the matter is, you get what you pay for, and only around 1% of the time will you ever get a truly good free game. Now I know most people know this already, but try telling this crap to my dumbass friends who think the epiphany of online gaming is a good round of Runescape.  

Other free games that piss me off: 
Free WoW servers. Really guys? Like $15 was too much to pay to be able to play with thousands of players and have a great time? 

Demos. It's one thing if it's a demo of a game that isn't out yet, but I just can't stand demos and trials. OCD? 

Evony. Heh, does that even count as a game? If it wasn't for their misleading (yet totally hot) ad campaign, this game wouldn't make enough money to cover the server cost.  

Free things that I allow: 

Gamebiz 2. Google it, bitches.  

And that's all I can think of, except for a few flash games. And not the kind your momma would approve of, either.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fripplebubby

Meh. It should be. Look, I admit to being one of those people who has very little money, and i'm not going to sit here and bullshit you about how free games can be good too. They can't. The fact of the matter is, you get what you pay for, and only around 1% of the time will you ever get a truly good free game. Now I know most people know this already, but try telling this crap to my dumbass friends who think the epiphany of online gaming is a good round of Runescape.  

Other free games that piss me off: 
Free WoW servers. Really guys? Like $15 was too much to pay to be able to play with thousands of players and have a great time? 

Demos. It's one thing if it's a demo of a game that isn't out yet, but I just can't stand demos and trials. OCD? 

Evony. Heh, does that even count as a game? If it wasn't for their misleading (yet totally hot) ad campaign, this game wouldn't make enough money to cover the server cost.  

Free things that I allow: 

Gamebiz 2. Google it, bitches.  

And that's all I can think of, except for a few flash games. And not the kind your momma would approve of, either.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nanikore
@Fripplebubby said:
"Other free games that piss me off: Free WoW servers. Really guys? Like $15 was too much to pay to be able to play with thousands of players and have a great time?   "
I assume you're talking about private servers? That already is illegal.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

There are tons of good-to-awesome freeware games like Alien Arena, Cave Story, Knytt & Knytt Stories, La Mulana, Alien Assault, Oolite, Spelunky, Allegiance, Battle for Wesnoth, Dan! Da! Dan!, Warning Forever, Monsters' Den: Book of Dread, Indian Outlaw, Trilby: The Art of Theft, N, Dwarf Fortress, True Combat Elite, Guardian of Paradise, Warsow, to name but a few. I didn't even go into the likes of Liero, the dozens of great roguelikes, free modifications for existing games, or even abandonware and games that used to be in retail yet are now free for promotional or other purposes. Dismissing these because of Runescape is quite ignorant, more so than your friends' attitude is honestly. Edited to add videos. Missing games either didn't/can't have decent videos (try and make Dwarf Fortress attractive in footage, heh), or are flash so you could just play.

(missing Knytt Stories)

(missing Oolite)
(missing Allegiance)
(missing Dan! Da! Dan!)
(missing Monsters' Den)
(missing Indian Outlaw)
(missing N)
(missing Dwarf Fortress)
(missing Guardian of Paradise)

Seriously though, these barely scratch the surface. There's a shitload of quality free content out there, there are even massive databases that only deal with specific genres like roguelikes or shmups, not to mention games of a specific format like java or flash. Add cheap yet creative indie games on top and the saying you get what you pay for certainly doesn't apply here as you can experience great games for no or very little money.
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By DrRandle

I disagree on get what you pay for. There's tons of great Indie games on Xbox that I'd gladly pay more for. You just gotta find 'em.

Here's a hint: Arkedo series.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By dbz1995

1) You have 0 posts. o_O
2) Some games which are free are great. Take, for example, Chaos Faction. If you have a fast enough computer, it feels just like Super Smash Bros. and has knocked off hours of my life.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Absurd

Gametap offers Just Cause and Operation Flashpoint for free right now. I wouldn't call those games bad. If you're willing to deep dig, you can find great games for free.

Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hats

With re-guard to the wow private servers its not only about the money one that Ive seen was modded with crazy towers going up into the air everyone started in Black rock Mountain and its was FFA PVP outside of BRM was a fun change of pace.
But yes it was broken and you wouldn't pay for it.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Alex_V
@Fripplebubby: 

Very silly post. Judge each game by its merits.
Penelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Penelope

You get what you pay for?

What about those poor saps out there shelling out $100 for Tony Hawk Ride?

You get out what you put in. 

As in consumer research.

Blanket statements like yours are always ignorant.

See what I did there?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

@Fripplebubby said:

" ....  Demos. It's one thing if it's a demo of a game that isn't out yet, but I just can't stand demos and trials. OCD? .... "

How the hell can you hate demos and trials?  Why would you want to get rid of something which allows consumers to see what they may or may not purchase?  Does this mean you believe a person shouldn't test drive a car before they buy it?  And, why would it matter if a game is out or not?  If you haven't played the demo yet and hear mixed comments on a game you're considering, wouldn't you want to try it for yourself before buying it?  I just don't understand.  Demos are the best thing to find their way into consoles since disc-based media.  They've been a part of the PC side of things for a long time, and I am thankful ('tis the season) that they're now a principle facet of console game marketing.
Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#11  Edited By Seraphim2150

Battlefield Heroes is pretty good for free

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I like the Elder Scrolls games Daggerfall and Arena that are now free on the Bethesda Site.

deadfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By deadfm
@PenguinDust said:
"  @Fripplebubby said:
" ....  Demos. It's one thing if it's a demo of a game that isn't out yet, but I just can't stand demos and trials. OCD? .... "
How the hell can you hate demos and trial?  Why would you want to get rid of something which allows consumers to see what they may or may not purchase?  Does this mean you believe a person shouldn't test drive a car before they buy it?  And, why would it matter if a game is out or not?  If you haven't played the demo yet and hear mixed comments on a game you're considering, wouldn't you want to try it for yourself before buying it?  I just don't understand.  Demos are the best thing to find their way into consoles since disc-based media.  They've been a part of the PC side of things for a long time, and I am thankful ('tis the season) that they're now a principle facet of console game marketing. "
I was going to make a comment on the demo thing, but that pretty much covered it. i think demos are awesome, it was a deciding factor on whether i bought games or not a couple times.
vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#14  Edited By vigorousjammer
@deadFM said:
" @PenguinDust said:
"  @Fripplebubby said:
How the hell can you hate demos and trial?  Why would you want to get rid of something which allows consumers to see what they may or may not purchase?  Does this mean you believe a person shouldn't test drive a car before they buy it?  And, why would it matter if a game is out or not?  If you haven't played the demo yet and hear mixed comments on a game you're considering, wouldn't you want to try it for yourself before buying it?  I just don't understand.  Demos are the best thing to find their way into consoles since disc-based media.  They've been a part of the PC side of things for a long time, and I am thankful ('tis the season) that they're now a principle facet of console game marketing. "
I was going to make a comment on the demo thing, but that pretty much covered it. i think demos are awesome, it was a deciding factor on whether i bought games or not a couple times. "
I feel like I should add, even if I'm not on the fence about a game, a demo can introduce me to some game I haven't heard of before and convince me to buy it... it has a few times, and it's always better way to judge a game than if I just watched a video.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok

I smell a troll.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Snail

*Troll alert.*

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Whut.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

This is one of the dumbest topics I have ever seen.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By clarke0

I can agree that most of free online games (especially korean mmorpgs) are garbage, but there is some decent fun to be had. If your friends really think that Runescape is a good way to spend their time you have some shameful friends.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green
@nanikore said:
" @Fripplebubby said:
"Other free games that piss me off: Free WoW servers. Really guys? Like $15 was too much to pay to be able to play with thousands of players and have a great time?   "
I assume you're talking about private servers? That already is illegal. "
how are private servers illegal? u can just download world of warcraft, burning crusade, off of blizzard's website and then change a few files on the folder and bam u can connect to a private server. i use to play on a private server after my account expired.
PretzelAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PretzelAddict

i disagree too. free can be good. look at you tube, thats free and you get a shitload of absolutely...  anything!

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seedofpower
@dbz1995: Can you answer this question for me? Is a rant on the first post mean that this said person is a troll?
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By thatfrood
@iam3green: um, the fact that it's POSSIBLE doesn't make it legal. Private servers are illegal because when you accept the terms of service (remember the little checkbox you click when you install the game?) you agree to play on Blizzard servers only.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Dude, why do you care about what other people like? So what? It's all opinion, man. Nothing is written in stone. A lot of gamers happen to embrace the free stuff.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By mrfizzy
@Al3xand3r: omg Trilby is AMAZING! 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TwoOneFive

i love it when games are free!! especially DLC!!!

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nanikore
@iam3green: I do not understand your logic. Just because it is easy to do, it is legal?
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Branthog
@Fripplebubby said:

The fact of the matter is, you get what you pay for "  "

Yeah, totally! Why, that shitty free OpenOffice sucks what with it being free and all, but almost entirely on par with the $400+ MS Office! And that shitty Linux operating system. How good can that be for free, when you normally have to pay hundreds of dollars for an OS? Or pay massive licenses for Unix installs? And GIMP! Bah! What a piece of crap! I'd much rather pay $1,300 for Photoshop! and don't even get me started on fucking Firefox and Thunderbird or Adium or PidginIM or any of these other free (and often open source) things! You get what you paid for and therefore something that costs lots of money is inherently better than something which is free!

Hell, that's why Avatar is going to be the greatest movie of all time! It costs way more than any other movie to make and is therefore superior to Pulp Fiction, Moon, My Dinner with Andre and any of that other cheap ass shit! And Torchlight.. PFT! That didn't cost no $100m like GTA IV did, so that's why it's such a piece of crap, too...

The fact of the matter is that there is a lot of shit out there. Whether it's free or not is irrelevant. It's this concept that "you get what you pay for" being passed on to the next generation of consumers that truly horrifies me. Are a lot of free games (and free other stuff) total ass? Sure. So is a lot of what you paid hard earned money for, too. I'll take free Runescape over $15/mo WoW any day. I'll take free Slackware or Debian over $400 Windows any day. Not because I can't afford these things, but because what matters is QUALITY and not PRICE.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Branthog

@Fripplebubby said:

Yeah, totally! Why, that shitty free OpenOffice sucks what with it being free and all, but almost entirely on par with the $400+ MS Office! And that shitty Linux operating system. How good can that be for free, when you normally have to pay hundreds of dollars for an OS? Or pay massive licenses for Unix installs? And GIMP! Bah! What a piece of crap! I'd much rather pay $1,300 for Photoshop! and don't even get me started on fucking Firefox and Thunderbird or Adium or PidginIM or any of these other free (and often open source) things! You get what you paid for and therefore something that costs lots of money is inherently better than something which is free!

Hell, that's why Avatar is going to be the greatest movie of all time! It costs way more than any other movie to make and is therefore superior to Pulp Fiction, Moon, My Dinner with Andre and any of that other cheap ass shit! And Torchlight.. PFT! That didn't cost no $100m like GTA IV did, so that's why it's such a piece of crap, too...

The fact of the matter is that there is a lot of shit out there. Whether it's free or not is irrelevant. It's this concept that "you get what you pay for" being passed on to the next generation of consumers that truly horrifies me. Are a lot of free games (and free other stuff) total ass? Sure. So is a lot of what you paid hard earned money for, too. I'll take free Runescape over $15/mo WoW any day. I'll take free Slackware or Debian over $400 Windows any day. Not because I can't afford these things, but because what matters is QUALITY and not PRICE.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r
@Al3xand3r said:

There are tons of good-to-awesome freeware games like Alien Arena, Cave Story, Knytt & Knytt Stories, La Mulana, Alien Assault, Oolite, Spelunky, Allegiance, Battle for Wesnoth, Dan! Da! Dan!, Warning Forever, Monsters' Den: Book of Dread, Indian Outlaw, Trilby: The Art of Theft, N, Dwarf Fortress, True Combat Elite, Guardian of Paradise, Warsow, to name but a few. I didn't even go into the likes of Liero, the dozens of great roguelikes, free modifications for existing games, or even abandonware and games that used to be in retail yet are now free for promotional or other purposes. Dismissing these because of Runescape is quite ignorant, more so than your friends' attitude is honestly. Edited to add videos.

(missing Knytt Stories)

(missing Oolite)
(missing Allegiance)
(missing Dan! Da! Dan!)
(missing Monsters' Den)
(missing Indian Outlaw)
(missing N)
(missing Dwarf Fortress)
(missing Guardian of Paradise)
Seriously though, these barely scratch the surface. There's a shitload of quality free content out there, there are even massive databases that only deal with specific genres like roguelikes or shmups, not to mention games of a specific format like java or flash. Add cheap yet creative indie games on top and the saying you get what you pay for certainly doesn't apply here as you can experience great games for no or very little money.

Adding two videos of an upcoming freeware game that will be released for the holidays. Merry Gear Solid 2! (get 1 here):

Yup, epic lulz.

@mrfizzy said:

@Al3xand3r: omg Trilby is AMAZING!

Hell yeah. Best stealth game of all the times! All the times! Well, maybe until Merry Gear Solid 2 releases at least. The same creator also has a series of point & click adventure games with that character, they're supposedly pretty damn good themselves.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dbz1995
@Seedofpower said:
" @dbz1995: Can you answer this question for me? Is a rant on the first post mean that this said person is a troll? "
Why are you asking me? ...ARE YOU INDICATING THAT I AM A TROLL? WELL, FUCK YOU!

360 IZ 4 NOOBZ!
Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Chokobo

What is the point of this topic?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Jeust
@Fripplebubby: 

Misleading title.

Also there are tons of free games...

Indie games, abandonware, and free deals.

Especially on mmo, there are a lot of free and interesting ones.

Get all your facts before post.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seedofpower
@dbz1995 said:
" @Seedofpower said:
" @dbz1995: Can you answer this question for me? Is a rant on the first post mean that this said person is a troll? "
Why are you asking me? ...ARE YOU INDICATING THAT I AM A TROLL? WELL, FUCK YOU!  360 IZ 4 NOOBZ! "
Well, no. I was referring to your remake of zero posts....... I see you went on an insane tangent so never mind.
darianw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darianw
@Al3xand3r: Thanks for the links. Seems I missed a few good games out there. :)
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fripplebubby

In response to everyone: 

I have my opinion, and you have yours. All I meant by my post is in my personal experience, I have always enjoyed games i've put money into better than ones I haven't. Also note that I haven't bought every single game, or played every single free game, and nor have any of us, so blanket statements are probably not to be. And if you really want to quote me on this and try to prove me wrong by spamming the comments with 20 Youtube videos, feel free.   

I am also a proud Windows user, MS Office and Photoshop user. I've tried the free alternatives, and while my original post was not relevant to those things, one of you seemed to think that way. Whatever guys, thanks for the commentary.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Skald

Plasma Pong.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jmrwacko
@Branthog said:

" @Fripplebubby said:

Yeah, totally! Why, that shitty free OpenOffice sucks what with it being free and all, but almost entirely on par with the $400+ MS Office! And that shitty Linux operating system. How good can that be for free, when you normally have to pay hundreds of dollars for an OS? Or pay massive licenses for Unix installs? And GIMP! Bah! What a piece of crap! I'd much rather pay $1,300 for Photoshop! and don't even get me started on fucking Firefox and Thunderbird or Adium or PidginIM or any of these other free (and often open source) things! You get what you paid for and therefore something that costs lots of money is inherently better than something which is free!  Hell, that's why Avatar is going to be the greatest movie of all time! It costs way more than any other movie to make and is therefore superior to Pulp Fiction, Moon, My Dinner with Andre and any of that other cheap ass shit! And Torchlight.. PFT! That didn't cost no $100m like GTA IV did, so that's why it's such a piece of crap, too...  The fact of the matter is that there is a lot of shit out there. Whether it's free or not is irrelevant. It's this concept that "you get what you pay for" being passed on to the next generation of consumers that truly horrifies me. Are a lot of free games (and free other stuff) total ass? Sure. So is a lot of what you paid hard earned money for, too. I'll take free Runescape over $15/mo WoW any day. I'll take free Slackware or Debian over $400 Windows any day. Not because I can't afford these things, but because what matters is QUALITY and not PRICE. "
 1. MS Office is not at all $400; 2. Windows 7 costs $110 retail; closed source Internet browsers don't cost anything.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Branthog
@jmrwacko said:
" @Branthog said:

" @Fripplebubby said:

Yeah, totally! Why, that shitty free OpenOffice sucks what with it being free and all, but almost entirely on par with the $400+ MS Office! And that shitty Linux operating system. How good can that be for free, when you normally have to pay hundreds of dollars for an OS? Or pay massive licenses for Unix installs? And GIMP! Bah! What a piece of crap! I'd much rather pay $1,300 for Photoshop! and don't even get me started on fucking Firefox and Thunderbird or Adium or PidginIM or any of these other free (and often open source) things! You get what you paid for and therefore something that costs lots of money is inherently better than something which is free!  Hell, that's why Avatar is going to be the greatest movie of all time! It costs way more than any other movie to make and is therefore superior to Pulp Fiction, Moon, My Dinner with Andre and any of that other cheap ass shit! And Torchlight.. PFT! That didn't cost no $100m like GTA IV did, so that's why it's such a piece of crap, too...  The fact of the matter is that there is a lot of shit out there. Whether it's free or not is irrelevant. It's this concept that "you get what you pay for" being passed on to the next generation of consumers that truly horrifies me. Are a lot of free games (and free other stuff) total ass? Sure. So is a lot of what you paid hard earned money for, too. I'll take free Runescape over $15/mo WoW any day. I'll take free Slackware or Debian over $400 Windows any day. Not because I can't afford these things, but because what matters is QUALITY and not PRICE. "
 1. MS Office is not at all $400; 2. Windows 7 costs $110 retail; closed source Internet browsers don't cost anything. "
You're right, the default version of office is no longer $400 - it's something like $200. Still a fuck-ton more than any sensible person would pay when there is an amazing free alternative. And Windows 7 is about $100.. for an *upgrade*. It is still an idiotic and shitty argument, nonetheless. "It's way better, because I paid for it!".

If you're talking cars or televisions or silverware, yes. If you're talking software - price has absolutely nothing to do with it.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60
@iam3green said:

" @nanikore said:

" @Fripplebubby said:

I assume you're talking about private servers? That already is illegal. "
how are private servers illegal? u can just download world of warcraft, burning crusade, off of blizzard's website and then change a few files on the folder and bam u can connect to a private server. i use to play on a private server after my account expired. "
Ummmm...