#1 Edited by Pessh (2459 posts) -

Hey Giantbomb, I've been having this 'problem' for a while now where I struggle to finish a game, any game.

I'll start something, get 10 hours in, then change my mind about my class and start over, which means replaying stuff I just played...not very fun, so I rush through it, don't enjoy myself and stop playing. Then maybe I come back in a few weeks or months time, now it's been too long so I start over (again,) I'm enjoying the game, then I get an urge to start a playthrough of something else instead, which also inevitably abruptly ends half way through. Nothing seems to hold my interest =/ Can't finish a game no matter how hard I try. Do any of you guys ever get like this? Any suggestions? Need help getting out of my gaming funk, I thought about just taking a break, but there's not much gaming to take a break from, not like I'm burnt out, most of my free time goes on reading and netflix now. Not very excited for the PS4/Xbox One and I think the most recent game I finished was Catherine...so yeah...

Thanks in advance, and apologies for my use of the word funk, I don't know what came over me.

#2 Edited by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

Been seeing a lot of this lately. Take an extended break. Come back when something you're truly excited for comes out.

#3 Edited by Pessh (2459 posts) -

@pillclinton: Everyones ready for next gen I guess, I've just lost interest, only game I've bought all year is Fire Emblem, hope I don't just not like games anymore.

#4 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

I used to do the same thing a lot. I just started playing genres that I never bothered with before, and I started playing shorter games. That fixed it for the most part. When I wanted to play a long game I knew I might not finish, I turned it into a more interesting experience by involving my friends. We'd hangout and play the game endurance run style. That was usually enough to keep me focused on finishing a game one at a time.

I don't have the problem so much anymore because I'm usually just happy to have the free time to play games. If I still can't bring myself to finish a game at this point, I usually just attribute it to being a game that doesn't really interest me as much as I thought it would.

Other than that, you might just want to find another hobby for a bit. It's a lot harder to enjoy something if you're trying to force yourself to enjoy it.

#5 Posted by myketuna (1756 posts) -

I go through this between games I get super into. I finished BioShock Infinite in 3 sittings and since then have been "taste testing" my way through a bunch of games. Really liking them all, but just not getting through them. Eventually however, I'll finish all the games I'm trying out as I switch back and forth between them.

#6 Posted by tread311 (357 posts) -

I don't do the start over bit but I can certainly relate to the gaming funk part. For me it is more an issue of trying to play everything so I can feel like part of the "conversation" and not slowing down to enjoy the games I really click with. It's kind of dumb.

#7 Edited by Slag (4888 posts) -

I think there's a few reasons this happens, for me anyway

• Console games are kinda stale at the end of gens like now
  • The more games you play, the more tropes and mechanics you've seen, the less "wow" factor they have, and it becomes much easier to get distracted.
  • Burn out from playing too many in a row.

The only remedy I know that works is to take a break, sometimes an extended break so that games feel fresh again.

#8 Posted by EthanML (459 posts) -

Totally...I haven't even brought myself to finish Bioshock Infinite yet...and as far as I can tell the ending must be the only reason everybody says that game is awesome.

#9 Posted by DR34DN0UGHT (34 posts) -

As a few others have said, taking a break can revitalise your gaming time. I've also found it useful to try totally different types of games from time to time. So if you usually play RPG's, try some shooters or driving games, anything that gets you out of your comfort zone. It's helped keep things fresh for me.

#10 Posted by Wheady (101 posts) -

As a few others have said, taking a break can revitalise your gaming time. I've also found it useful to try totally different types of games from time to time. So if you usually play RPG's, try some shooters or driving games, anything that gets you out of your comfort zone. It's helped keep things fresh for me.

yep, this pretty much. ive been playing a lot of open world games lately so for the past couple weeks its been all shooters. Then ill get tired of those and go back and the cycle will continue, lol.

theres also nothing wrong with not finishing a game. if you got ur fill of enjoyment from it then its all good.