Gaming Racism, A franchise leaves it's mark.

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Astras
WARNING: The word Racism in the title is a hyperbole for describing hatred, discomfort and dislike towards fans of specific a franchise. 

WARNING: The race card is not being played as a anti racism cry against avatars that are disliked.

WARNING: This is a discussion about categories of gamers that like different franchise such as Halo, Wii gamers, Final Fantasy, Counterstrike, etc... and how their opinions differ and how players on each side of the fence think the other opinions are relevant/irrelevant.

I just got this post in another thread:

@Romination: OP has Sephiroth as his avatar, I find it hard to take him seriously. That's just me though... "

This is not the first time I have had this, just for the fact that I have mentioned openly that I like Final fantasy, and have liked FF7. It feels that there is a crew that specifically get a thrill out winding fanboys up. I am not a FF fanboy, I appreciate the games but am not made blind by them that I can't see how good anything else is, and frankly I was gaming long before FF7 hit the shelves.

Just because I choose to have one of the most evil game characters as my avatar doesn't mean my opinion is worthless or that I am painted with some fanboy category brush.

This is some of the thoughts that I think people think about when they come accross a FF been fan,  that they have:  

• Never played anything else, 
  • They only repeat playing FF7 over and over,
  • They only have an opinion on any other game if it promotes FF7,
  • They are all Playstation fanboys,
  • They are manga fanboys,
  • They all cried and self harmed when Aeris died,
  • They dress up as FF7 characters regular
  • They have turned there flat/house into an exact copy of the highwind
  • They only drink out of a glass that says elixir on it
  • They try and convincingly explain the existance of Caitsith and that he is a shinra employee and the cat with a mic was a good idea.

I mean is that list why??? because frankly it's bullshit and it's all far from the truth. It's a gamer steriotype.

The thread can be related to other franchises also... i.e. comments ive seen such as  "i like Wow".. Answers ive seen regular on MMORPG.com and other forums such as Darkfall  "Go back to Wow you noob and play in your themepark noob game easy mode, you cant even understand OUR game never mind discuss it!".. thats the point I wanted to discuss in this thread.. others attutudes towards franchises that seems to brand some gamers.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By chrissedoff

sephiroth looks silly, has the dumbest motivation for just about any villain (not including other final fantasy games), is featured in a game that has rapidly lost esteem in the past couple of years, and it just so happens that people who still have sephiroth on their mind all these years later aren't usually the most well adjusted people in the world. hope that helps.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Stereotypes, people generally try to order their world by them. 

But there are probably worse, as using a naruto related avatar and being called a narutard (stupid by the way). :p

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust
@chrissedoff said:

" sephiroth looks silly, has the dumbest motivation for just about any villain (not including other final fantasy games), is featured in a game that has rapidly lost esteem in the past couple of years, and it just so happens that people who still have sephiroth on their mind all these years later aren't usually the most well adjusted people in the world. hope that helps. "

That could be said to a lot of heroes and villains in games, still they linger in the minds of players and regular people alike. 

I don't think it has anything to do with adjustment, just personal experience. If you had a great time with FF7, it's probable that you'll have fond memories of the game, and use an avatar like that. 

I use an Ada Wong avatar from RE4, about a game where you do a lot of killing, how normal is that? Normality and well adjustment are subjective things.
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Tiwi
@Astras said:
"
  • They try and convincingly explain the existance of Caitsith and that he is a shinra employee and the cat with a mic was a good idea.
 "
GOD WHY!?! who thought that that was a good idea?

I also get what you're saying, and i don't understand the false prejudice some people have for FF games. 
there's got some good, and some bad things in them, like all franchises.  the only difference is that it's been going on much much longer than most other series.
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tiwi
@chrissedoff said:

" sephiroth looks silly, has the dumbest motivation for just about any villain (not including other final fantasy games), is featured in a game that has rapidly lost esteem in the past couple of years, and it just so happens that people who still have sephiroth on their mind all these years later aren't usually the most well adjusted people in the world. hope that helps. "

errr....did you ever wonder what kefka was up to...?
 or let us see... izanami of persona 4 fame?
or  bison from the streetfighter series?
 there are TONS of stupid villans, trying to give one of them a defining look helps sell the villainousness of the character .
Pandasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pandasaurus

That's not what racism is.... 

Racism is discrimination that is based on a prejudice against or towards a race. 

The word you are looking for is stereotyping.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tiwi
@Pandasaurus: RACIST!

(you totally saw this one coming right?)
NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NakAttack
@Pandasaurus said:
" That's not what racism is....  Racism is discrimination that is based on a prejudice against or towards a race.     The word you are looking for is stereotyping. "
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Was the thread title worded that way to get views?

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By keyhunter
@tiwi said:
" @chrissedoff said:

errr....did you ever wonder what kefka was up to...?  or let us see... izanami of persona 4 fame? or  bison from the streetfighter series? there are TONS of stupid villans, trying to give one of them a defining look helps sell the villainousness of the character . "
Mike Bison is a Nazi Supersoldier whose motivation is drug money. Obviously. Also he was a boss character in a fighting game. His only purpose was to look menacing and be hard to beat. I'm not  sure if it was made certain that he was an actual villain until STREET FIGHTER 2 the movie came out.
We all just assumed he was a bad dude because he looked like a Nazi Supersoldier. The fact that we can tell what he's up to just by looking at him makes him a well designed villain.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Astras
Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
. Or, on the opposite side, racism can be described as the belief that a certain race or races portray undesirable characteristics.
In the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits, or receive preferential treatment.  

Please, lets not take this any further off topic :),,, u know what I mean!
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tiwi
@keyhunter said:

" @tiwi said:

" @chrissedoff said:

errr....did you ever wonder what kefka was up to...?  or let us see... izanami of persona 4 fame? or  bison from the streetfighter series? there are TONS of stupid villans, trying to give one of them a defining look helps sell the villainousness of the character . "
Mike Bison is a Nazi Supersoldier whose motivation is drug money. Obviously. Also he was a boss character in a fighting game. His only purpose was to look menacing and be hard to beat. I'm not  sure if it was made certain that he was an actual villain until STREET FIGHTER 2 the movie came out.We all just assumed he was a bad dude because he looked like a Nazi Supersoldier. The fact that we can tell what he's up to just by looking at him makes him a well designed villain. "
wouldn't the same apply for sephiroth ?
Joker_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joker_777

Fair enough.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Astras
@HaltIamReptar said:
" Was the thread title worded that way to get views? "

@HaltIamReptar: 
Funny I thought it was worded perfectly, I thought it portraid like a FF fan being branded with a degrading racial mark.. kind of like In Australia what the British did with the Abo's.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By keyhunter
@Astras said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:

@HaltIamReptar:  Funny I thought it was worded perfectly, I thought it portraid like a FF fan being branded with a degrading racial mark.. kind of like In Australia what the British did with the Abo's. "
You mean the colonies made up of murderous criminals?
NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NakAttack

point keyhunter, 1:0

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Astras
@keyhunter: 
yes, they branded some of the Abo's with marks such as Slave just beacuase of race and skin colour.
Jwkokosmakroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jwkokosmakroon

lol pointless thread..... gaming racism................

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Rhaknar

are you comparing being hassled for a silly anime ff7 avatar to RACISM? oh boy...

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By alexl86

Gaming prejudice would've been a better title.

Anyway, as someone who's put FFVII on the top of my best games ever list for a few years now, I can definitely see where you're coming from. However, people tend to forget how important FFVII really was. While the graphics may not look like much now, the graphics were revolutionary and seamlessly integrated FMV into the game. FMVs in games had pretty much been a joke up to that point. Seriously, this was one of the best looking games around. It shaped the JRPG genre too, which hasn't really evolved much past FFVII today. As far as the plot goes, it's not always the best, but it has compelling characters, the villain's methods can seem convoluted at times, but his motivations are pretty much in line with the epic RPG, and it at least makes more sense than FFVIII.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By oldschool
@keyhunter said:
" @Astras said:
" @HaltIamReptar said:

@HaltIamReptar:  Funny I thought it was worded perfectly, I thought it portraid like a FF fan being branded with a degrading racial mark.. kind of like In Australia what the British did with the Abo's. "
You mean the colonies made up of murderous criminals? "
You do realise that it wasn't so much murderers sent to Australia, but rather more like petty thieves of food to eat.  England was just looking for an excuse to move as many citizens out as possible and reached for anything to achieve that.  Your comment  would be like me saying America was settled by religious zealots and nutjobs ........... oh wait.  :/
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Astras
@oldschool: 
Whatever man.. I think you know what I mean in the first post of this thread.. you are totally dragging this racism thing all out of proportion. I was on about all final fantasy players and other franchises such as Halo being branded fanboys and their opinions seem somehow less worthy because of their gaming legacy.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Astras:   I think your girly man in a dress avatar is just silly.
LOZZAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By LOZZAT

Yeeeaaah. I thought this was something to do with actual racism over online multi player or something, because I guess it's become more prevalent with the advancement of more online gaming on consoles. Not 'racism' in that you're sick of the fact that some people really don't like final fantasy. It happens with anything remotely entertainment related. Think of sports, if you support one team it's often that people who support other teams will piss you off on purpose. Just like what sports team you choose, what game you choose to openly support and promote is based on your choices. It's not that you were born loving final fantasy, but if you were born in a certain place with a certain ethnicity and people chose to hate you because of that alone, it would be racism. It also tends to happen with franchises people are now leaning towards hating, so either things that were ridiculous in the first place and gained massive popularity (think twilight and the sparkly vampires) or a series that has over-extended itself and gained unwarranted recognition over time. So people are just vaguely sick of the games by now and are upset that they are held in such high regard when other more inventive games are never published, it will happen with all major series, even call of duty is beginning to experience that. It doesn't matter which, but being a fan and promoting it of any long-running series will get you negative attention from some people.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Astras
@alexl86: 
Yep, I agree I always wish I could change a title after Ive created a thread :P I should give myself a title.. crap title-ist!
Yea I agree.. I'm not sure what's happened to be honest. I think theres prolly a small crowd of kids that are huge fans and in the last few years have created this negativity that people seem to associate with the game.
 We all know how significant the game was, now all of sudden it seems to be a favourate for people slating it, to the point it's a bit embarassing to be associated with it.

I'm not sure if the hate for the final fantasy scene is the same sort of reason some people who play Halo get flak... i.e. the "You havn't played Counterstrike so dont talk to me about FPS" crowd. Maybe same sort of thing?
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Astras
@SeriouslyNow: 
Hehe, look after our incident the other day.. fair play. :D
endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By endaround

Yes the casual racism present in FFVII is sort of troubling...wait that is not what this thread is about?  Its about a poster complaining that not everyone treats him fairly because he loves FFVII?  And this is different from any other person proclaiming their favorite game how ?(Halo (Stupid MS crappy FPS!), COD MW2(how about some actual sense in your story!), Civilization (Boring!), etc.)

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By bhhawks78

Sephiroth is one of the worst characters ever and FF7 is by far the most overrated game ever.  This is a video game forum, if you have that emo crap character from a crap game I'm not going to take you seriously.

Then again it's a fucking video game forum so stop being such a whiny bitch just because some people don't take you seriously.
The fact you made this thread means the person who posted that they shouldn't take you seriously is 100% correct.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By StaticFalconar
@Astras: its more like Seph is about as original as having master chef for an avator. 
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Astras
@LOZZAT: Yep, agree totally! At least you understood the original post before posting some crap. 
Yea I see where ur coming from.. 

Franchise rating '% = Likeability( 100 - (Amount_newfranshise + franchise.Timespan_years_since.first.)

perhaps that equation is what u mean?
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Astras
@StaticFalconar: 
Possibly, I did see alot of them back in the day... theres not so many knocking about now tho. Havn't seen any on GB.
Kefkaesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kefkaesque

Only an idiot would put a Final Fantasy villain in their Avatar. What are you, 6? Change that shit, it looks stupid.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

Gamer hyperbole.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Phished0ne

Big whoop, try getting called a Smelly Druggie all day for listening to Phish......

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Ace829

Why is everyone so wound up over OPINIONS!!1!? Astras, don't worry about what people think of your avatar. If they don't take you seriously then fuck em. To almost everyone else if you don't like the thread then why not ignore it?
 Why is everyone so wound up over OPINIONS!!1!? Astras, don't worry about what people think of your avatar. If they don't take you seriously then fuck em. To almost everyone else if you don't like the thread then why not ignore it?
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho
@Astras said:
" @oldschool:  Whatever man.. I think you know what I mean in the first post of this thread.. you are totally dragging this racism thing all out of proportion. I was on about all final fantasy players and other franchises such as Halo being branded fanboys and their opinions seem somehow less worthy because of their gaming legacy. "
Irony. You're fucking dumb, and its not because of your avatar bro.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

Hoo boy, enough people dug into the topic title, so I'll let it rest. 

Still, I will say that sephiroth is one of the most overrated villains ever. His motivations are stupid, he's got mad mother issues, and has less depth than a pancake. 

Mmmm pancakes. Those alone are more fun.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thecleric
@Ace829 said:
"
"
I don't like the nazi party, so I'm going to ignore it. That'll do something.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ace829
@thecleric said:
" @Ace829 said:
"
"
I don't like the nazi party, so I'm going to ignore it. That'll do something. "
Um...are you implying that the OP is as threatening as the nazi party? I don't understand the point you're trying to make.
ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ricetopher

Threads like this are why I miss the earlier days of GB before the forums became full of topics like this

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RandomHero666

This Thread is pathetic.. not so much the OP.. i can relate to him.

But the people posting here are proof that this community is now mostly made up of cunts

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lautaro

The elitism that is sometimes present on gaming forums is crazy, LOLZ YOU HAVE SEPHIROPHZ AVATAR YURE WRONG LOLZ. Its so petty and ridiculous. Thats not to say everyone is like that, but a certain audience just look for any reason to shit on someone else's opinion. So to the OP i say, welcome to the internet.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho
@Ace829 said:

" @thecleric said:

" @Ace829 said:
"
"
I don't like the nazi party, so I'm going to ignore it. That'll do something. "
Um...are you implying that the OP is as threatening as the nazi party? I don't understand the point you're trying to make. "
I think his point is people accurately presuming other people with Sephiroth avatars are probably not the brightest bulbs is a slippery slope to Nazis and Hitler. Slippery slope guys where does it stop, as a modern gamer I have no sense of perspective so people make fun of me and I evoke racism and talk about Nazis guys.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Lautaro said:
" The elitism that is sometimes present on gaming forums is crazy, LOLZ YOU HAVE SEPHIROPHZ AVATAR YURE WRONG LOLZ. Its so petty and ridiculous. Thats not to say everyone is like that, but a certain audience just look for any reason to shit on someone else's opinion. So to the OP i say, welcome to the internet. "
You may want to look at the OP's attitude to nice, contributing folks in another thread or two before you decide to stand for his rights.
Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lawrens

The hell...

I came in expecting Resident Evil 5. 

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Astras
@SeriouslyNow: 
And this is why SeriouslyNow is one of my favourate Bomb users :P He loves going off topic and attacking/insulting forum users. 
Monsieur blue aliens is nothing but underhand.

The thread can be related to other franchises also... i.e. comments ive seen such as  "i like Wow".. Answers ive seen regular on MMORPG.com and other forums such as Darkfall  "Go back to Wow you noob and play in your themepark noob game easy mode, you cant even understand OUR game never mind discuss it!".. thats the point I wanted to discuss in this thread.. others attutudes towards franchises that seems to brand some gamers.

Not a slagging match!
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By oldschool
@Astras said:
" @oldschool:  Whatever man.. I think you know what I mean in the first post of this thread.. you are totally dragging this racism thing all out of proportion. I was on about all final fantasy players and other franchises such as Halo being branded fanboys and their opinions seem somehow less worthy because of their gaming legacy. "
Dude, fuck you talking about? 

I wasn't even addressing your OP.  I was making a comment , in jest of sorts, to Keyhunter about stereotyping Australians as criminals.  If you want me to comment on your OP, then in part I agree with you, in that people will judge you by your avatar in part.  It makes no sense, but it is just the way it is.  Your avatar in some way represents you.  Racism is another thing, but if you are in a way going with a metaphor, then okay, but inevitably it will cause a derailment of your point as many argue over hyperbole.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Astras
@oldschool: 
Yea i read what i replied to you back earlier.. and though what the fuck.. I am hung over so the hyperbole situation is a little bit out of control :P
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By oldschool
@Astras said:
" @oldschool:  Yea i read what i replied to you back earlier.. and though what the fuck.. I am hung over so the hyperbole situation is a little bit out of control :P "
We live and learn.