#1 Edited by Howlin_ (7 posts) -

This is my first thread on the site so hi to all. 

I just wanted to get some opinions on gaming tie ins. I'm struggling to find more examples but specifically franchises like Halo, Gears of War, Starcraft and more specifically Dead Space. Gears of War and Starcraft have the novels, Halo has the comics / anime (Legends) / novels, and Dead Space has the downloadable games, animated films, comics, and such. There's probably better examples that I cannot think of right now as well. 

My question is, do you guys enjoy having this extra insight and storytelling into the various universes created by developers? Or are you like me and can't bother to shell out the cash / time for anything other than the game itself?  

Thanks.

#2 Posted by MatPaget (1113 posts) -

Resident Evil has quite a few things like that. 
Novels, Comics, Animated Films, Live Action Movies

#3 Posted by RecSpec (3769 posts) -

I liked the MegaMan Megamix manga.  
 But sometimes it can get a little out of hand. (See FFVII Compilation) 

Also, welcome to the site.

#4 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

I think it really depends how well it's done. I enjoy a good tie-in but when it goes wrong it can be shattering to see my preferred video game franchises so poorly represented. For example within the Halo franchise I think the novels are really great stuff and flesh out the world very well, however Halo: Legends (the anime) is an abomination of epic proportions.

#5 Posted by MetalGearGeorge (218 posts) -

There are comic tie-ins for Ratchet and Clank, God of War and MW2.  Can't say they all suck but there are better comics to be read.

#6 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6191 posts) -

Street Fighter. Damn that cartoon is sooooooooo bad.