Gaming Trend reviewer calls Jeff Gerstmann a "douche"

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Not_Rage

So I was looking at Metacritic for Tony Hawk Ride scores and was shocked that it got a 92/100 on a site called "Gaming Trend". 
Ive never heard of it so I checked out the forums and found the reviewer of the game trying to defend his high score despite negative reviews from IGN and GB.

He ends up calling Jeff a "douche" and an "eggplant". Another hatchet job?
 http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=33585.msg620002#msg620002

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm guessing he saw the Tony Hawk 3 review and saw the blond-dyed hair :P.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheGremp

Oh wow, a guy from "Gaming Trend" gave it a good score, so it must awesome, right?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Saying that already lowers credibility.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Apparently GamingTrends has the only valid reviews on the internet. Someone tell Metacritic so that they can stop listing the reviews from any other sites.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jim_dandy

You would think someone who titles themselves "Marketing Manager" would know better.

He has a differing opinion and insults another reviewer because of that?

Grow up Mike Dunn.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Red

I thought that user reviews weren't supposed to be counted on Metacritic. 

HEY O!

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By dethfish

Eggplant?

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By sdauz

how can he say that to jeff...the dude is a symbol of standing up for gaming journalism! can anyone remember Kane&Ass Dead Men

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
@Red said:
" I thought that user reviews weren't supposed to be counted on Metacritic.   HEY O! "
No one can top that. Someone end this thread, right now.
alexrubens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By alexrubens

I'm pretty sure that he was one of the only guys who got a review copy. Surprisingly, all of them gave it good scores..... 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By apathylad

" Honestly, I expected reviews to be on either extreme on this one. Seems like you either get it and think it's great or don't and think it's the worst ever. This isn't the kind of game you can crank through in your cubicle. I also wonder if some of these outlets are being even more harsh because of the delay in review product..."

There was no delay, review copies just weren't provided!

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGremp
@Red said:
" I thought that user reviews weren't supposed to be counted on Metacritic.   HEY O! "
Zing!
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By breadfan

Thanks Mike Dunn, whoever you may be, for your well thought and concise professionalism.  

I honestly do not know why I have never visited your site in the past.  Personally I find it a fine establishment.  Oh wait, you're an idiot.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15  Edited By delta_ass

I've never even heard of Gaming Trend so uh... yea, good job getting some publicity, I guess...

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I just read that guy's review, it's littered with typos and reads like it was paid for. Especially the conclusion:

" An exciting new and immersive experience, Tony Hawk, Robomodo, and Activision have thrown down the gauntlet and defined the next generation of skating games.Cast off the shackles of those tired old skate games and handheld controllers and get ready to RIDE!"

Yeah, because 'handheld controllers' are 'shackles' to a gamer.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jmrwacko

The whole game is ON RAILS. How does it deserve any more than a 50%? I've played arcade games from the PS1 era that have better skateboard peripherals than the one featured in this game.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brendan

Meh, who cares, Jeff is the Jim Cramer of video games.  He gets crap from idiots every other day of the week who just don't get it.
dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By dietmango

Eh, another idiot who just can't take negativity. So what if Jeff thought Tony Hawk Ride sucked? It's his review. When you bitch like that about somebody else's opinion, you really can't call yourself a professional. I wonder who's really the "douche" and the "eggplant" here.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FCKSNAP

If it's not Top Skater it doesn't deserve to be reviewed IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This guy is jealous because his site will never become anything close to that of Giantbomb's or IGN or even Gamespot, so he points his anger towards fellow reviewers in which he should respect there opinions, I hope this fuck head STUBS HIS BIG TOE REAL HARD.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By animateria

Man I had a laugh out of this thread title for some reason.

CaptainMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainMax
@Video_Game_King said:
" I'm guessing he saw the Tony Hawk 3 review and saw the blond-dyed hair :P. "

I know right! They look like such douches in those videos. No offense to them.

EddieMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EddieMD
@jim_dandy said:
" You would think someone who titles themselves "Marketing Manager" would know better. 
Really.  I mean c'mon dude.  Have some freakin' tact.  I feel like Giantbomb are one of the few sites left that actually give reasonable reviews to actual gamers.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seedofpower

Don't give him attention. That's what he wants. 

Just keep moving people.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FunExplosions

Wait so this guys name is Mike Dunn? Like from Viva La Bam? If so, then that would explain a lot.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lautaro

Umm this guy had his son interview Tony Hawk at the event where they played it. It may not necessarily mean hes biased or whatever, but he isnt making a strong case for himself by posting a picture of his kid with Tony Hawk. He also does not help his case by attacking another reviewer for having a different opinion,

qwicksilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By qwicksilver

Dude if he's got a problem with Jeff's negative review, then he's probably going to have a problem with lots of other respected sites out there.  I just saw the Game Trailers review and they frigging trash the game.

Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Osphere
@Red said:

+1
eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By eyehook

First sentence: "Deck peripheral si incredibly sturdy and responsive"  SI?  Nice....
nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By nick_verissimo

gaming trend?  what's that?...honestly, i've never heard of it until this forum post.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pause422
@Chaser324 said:
" Apparently GamingTrends has the only valid reviews on the internet. Someone tell Metacritic so that they can stop listing the reviews from any other sites. "
This for sure. Honestly, what a fucking idiot..
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog

Never heard of it. Not really worth expanding the guy's non-existing credibility by even discussing this. Shocker -- random nobody douche-nozzle talks shit about established and credible guy. *gasp*!

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Attacking other journalists really gets you nowhere, and ultimately just comes off as juvenile and unprofessional.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Andorski

If we are going to post this kind of crap... can we have the OP copy and paste the article so we don't give the website clicks.

All this calling out is just a sleazy move to get more page views.  "Developers having hardware issues with new consoles" doesn't get as much attention compared to "Infinity Ward claims that the PS3 doesn't have enough power to handle their engine."

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Gaming Trend was one of the first sites to put up a review. And therefore I suspect he only played it at the 3 hour activision event that Jeff talked about on the bombcast. And anyone who'll review a game after only playing it for 3 hours at a marketing driven event has no right to call any other reviewer a douche. He put up the review to get traffic from metacritic because it would be one of the first reviews up, despite having not played the game properly. And now he's resorting to calling other reviewers douches to defend his review. Remind me to never ever visit Gaming Trend again.

EDIT: I read that forum thread a bit more, and the reviewer says this (in reply to a post linking to this gamespot article): 

We are aware of it, and had extensive deliberation. The fact of the matter is, we got about 10 hours of shared time with it and feel that is sufficient to judge the game. We are going to preface the review with the circumstances. 

"10 hours of shared time" seems to mean 10 hours between multiple people - it seems as though they did only play it for a few hours each at that activision event. So essentially he didn't play it properly, gave it an undeserving score and now is criticizing reviewers who took the time to see how bad it is before reviewing it. Either that, or he actually believes it is a good game. I don't know which is worse.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EvilTwin

This guy should be completely embarrassed.  He disagrees with Jeff's opinion, so not only does he question his integrity, but he resorts to childish fat jokes?  Give me a break. 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EvilTwin
@MattyFTM said:

"EDIT: I read that forum thread a bit more, and the reviewer says this (in reply to a post linking to this gamespot article): 

We are aware of it, and had extensive deliberation. The fact of the matter is, we got about 10 hours of shared time with it and feel that is sufficient to judge the game. We are going to preface the review with the circumstances. 

"10 hours of shared time" seems to mean 10 hours between multiple people - it seems as though they did only play it for a few hours each at that activision event. So essentially he didn't play it properly, gave it an undeserving score and now is criticizing reviewers who took the time to see how bad it is before reviewing it. Either that, or he actually believes it is a good game. I don't know which is worse. "
 Note: This review is the result of roughly ten hours of shared gaming time with five other people (including my son, Griffin) for the most part. I got to play every aspect of the game except for online multiplayer, and got to watch others play at difficulty levels significantly more than I can handle. While it is certainly not possible to experience every aspect of the game within this limited time-frame, I feel that I was able to play it enough to pass judgment on it. When we receive a full retail copy we will determine at that point if our assessment needs to be adjusted.

Taken straight from the review.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@EvilTwin: Yeah, I noticed that just after I submitted my post. It is impossible to review a game like that. Anyone who thinks they can review a game like that is an idiot.
JohnnyMcmillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JohnnyMcmillen

Oh son, "eggplant"? He's trying to say that he's playing the game wrong because he is overweight? Nice move on his part.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Binman88

Never heard of them before this. The review itself is hilarious - he gave the controls a 98 out of 100. The board , to him, is just two points off being perfection-incarnate in a game controller.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By penguindust
@Dethfish77 said:
" Eggplant? "
I don't know...the eggplants are pretty tough in my neighborhood.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Eh. Add to the above stuff about only ten hours of playing time shared, the post before his in the forum thread has two screenshots clearly depicting horrible clipping and physics glitches in the game, yet he goes ahead and gives the gameplay 95.

Yeah yeah, don't give the guy attention, I know. I'm not going to sign up at his site or anything, but sometimes you just have to wonder what some people are thinking when they dive into this industry with these mentalities towards reviews. Talk about treating your reader poorly if you're willing to put up a "review" like that riddled with typos and based off a few hours of playing and a few hours of watching others. Hey, maybe I should start writing reviews where the basis of my experience with the game is just watching promotional gameplay videos and trailers. That would increase productivity a hundred-fold!

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By Kibblez

I'd argue that Jeff knows his Tony Hawk games probably better than any game critic, so I just trust his his opinion over some random reviewer's anyday

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kohe321

Why does he insult another reviewer for not liking it? He sounds like he wants to protect it likes it's a family member, but judging from the way he felt about that deck controller, who can say he hasn't married it already.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I have never heard of this Gaming Trend site.

That says a lot for someone like myself who works from home and is on the Internet almost all day. Either way, apparently they don't know how to review games properly and like to insult those that actually put in the proper amount of time needed to make a final judgment for a game. That is enough for me to know I never need to go there. Integrity is everything in the reviewing business, and he has just showed he doesn't have any. This makes it pointless for anyone to read their reviews.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By gingertastic_10

Yeah, because Gaming Trend is where I go for all my gaming news and reviews... I've never heard of that guy or the site, he has no right to dis Jeff.

herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By herreno

Tony Hawk Ride is clearly a failure just from watching the quick look everyone could see that. This guy is entitled to his opinion, however childish the childish name calling is uncalled for.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Karmum

Well, no offense Gaming Trend, but most websites didn't think RIDE was too hot. I'd like that "administrator" to call all of them douches, too. Not the best way to comment on another journalist.