• 74 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5b047a335a3c2
deactivated-5b047a335a3c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

So I've tried to buy several games from Gamestop now, and I guess they were the last available copies, so the games were opened already, discs in paper sleeves. Since they used the cases as display cases they were not in good condition at all. One of the games looked like it had been chewed on by a dog. I was really bothered by this. So much that I never want to go to gamestop again and just buy online from now on. Am I just being too picky? When I buy a new game I expect it to be NEW as in still in the shrink wrap, sealed. Has anyone else every had this happen? Were you bothered by it?

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Surkov

Are you new to Gamestop? They've been doing this forever.  

And, yes you should be buying all of your games new online. It's cheaper and easier. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You aren't being to picky, if you buy a brand new game it should be in perfect condition (it's okay to take the disc out of the box though). If they look like they were used it probably means someone at the store used them. If it's not too late you should return them back and see if you can get your money back.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

When a game is marked as new but not actually sealed, it means one of the employees borrowed the game and played it. Stupid yes, but how else will Gamestop employees be able to recommend games to customers, especially on there mediocre paychecks.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By amomjc

Yeah Gamestop's stupidity in this area has been pissing me off for a long time. It has nothing to do with the display case, its the jackassery of "we are afraid of thieves" mentality. When I go there I don't expect my game to be in a drawer stuffed with countless other games, but in its original package sealed. When I get my game and I see them "search" for the disc and then package it with a small amount of their tape, it really pisses me off. This is the reason I stopped using their shit service and moved onto Amazon.com...

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By 234r2we232

Ask if you can borrow a new game before you buy it. Only fair.

TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TearsInRain

Yeah this is old news.  Sorry it was such a bummer for you.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1

I once saw I Gamestop employee convince a mom to get Black Ops for her children, they looked like they were around 10 years old. Gamestop is disgusting and I too have seen the used games being sold as new. Only reason I go in there is to kill time before my food order is ready next door. Haven't bought one thing there from my pocket in years.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By McGhee

Don't put up with that bullshit. Next time bring in some games to trade and tell them that they are still new and that you want full price for them.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

If it works, it works.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By m0rdr3d

They've been doing it for years.  I've heard many explanations offered, but none were legit.  It's just one reason I don't shop there anymore.  If you really need trade-in credit there are multiple options these days.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b047a335a3c2
deactivated-5b047a335a3c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m0rdr3d: Yeah, it was the first time I'd been to a gamestop in like seven years. I'm not going back. And I did return the games. Was just curious if it was something only the gamestops in my town did, or if it was all of them. Guess it's amazon from now on. Or best buy, but the best buy in my town has very bad selection of games.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero

If you don't pre-order the game you don't get it in the plastic wrap.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

This is nothing new. They've been unsealing games to use as display copies for years.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, and I just traded in my DSi for a 3DS today. I had the box and the manuals and everything. I feel like they might turn around and try to sell it as a new DSi.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah i never buy games from there anymore...  the copy of Uncharted 2 i got was punctured and i feel bad for not getting a full refund for it.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Strife777

They've always been doing this. It happened to me once and I chose to never go there again.

If you pay full price for something, it should be brand fucking new, sealed and untouched.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Doctorchimp

http://www.amazon.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Branthog

They've been doing this for years and it has nothing to do with it being the last copy. They often open new games and play them and then sell them as new. An unwrapped game is not new. It is used - the same way a product is sold as "used" when someone brings it back to the store and returns it.

I'd suggest going the Amazon route. Especially if you have Prime. Usually launch-day delivery, usually a couple bucks cheaper, no tax, and often with a $10 or $20 credit toward a future game purchase.

Just google "gamestop sells used games as new".

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's only been a couple of times I've gotten the "display copy," meaning an open box and a disc from a sleeve. When that happens, I ask to see the disc, and the one time the disc didn't look pristine I politely said no thanks. When the disc is fine and all the new game stuff is still inside the box, I have absolutely no problem getting an open copy of a game - I'm just going to open it within 20 minutes anyway.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

It boggles my mind why people would continue to buy the game at full price fully knowing that it was opened only to bitch about it later because it was opened.

That is unless Gamestop seals it back up. Then that's super shitty on their part.

@animathias said:

There's only been a couple of times I've gotten the "display copy," meaning an open box and a disc from a sleeve. When that happens, I ask to see the disc, and the one time the disc didn't look pristine I politely said no thanks. When the disc is fine and all the new game stuff is still inside the box, I have absolutely no problem getting an open copy of a game - I'm just going to open it within 20 minutes anyway.

Wait, you mean you act civil in a Gamestop? Blasphemy!

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By strainedeyes

If I wanted an opened copy of a game, I wouldn't be paying full price for it.

Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vexed
@TheGreatGuero said:
Yeah, and I just traded in my DSi for a 3DS today. I had the box and the manuals and everything. I feel like they might turn around and try to sell it as a new DSi.
That's an interesting thought.  When I trade in games they're usually in pristine condition, I wonder if Gamestop has ever resold them as "New"....
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I've never seen this
McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McShank

I actually tell them i want a sealed copy for my games when i buy new and make them go into the back otherwise i tell them they wont see a dollar. It works most of the time.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hatking
@Turtlebird95 said:
When a game is marked as new but not actually sealed, it means one of the employees borrowed the game and played it. Stupid yes, but how else will Gamestop employees be able to recommend games to customers, especially on there mediocre paychecks.
No, guy who has never worked at Gamestop, it doesn't.  When a game is marked new an is not sealed, it means that it is the last copy of the game.  Since they don't want to put all of their games behind a glass case (like Walmart), making it impossible for people to examine the box, they gut the box and put the disc in a drawer behind the counter.  It is against store policy for employees to check out copies of new games, not that shady stores don't exist, but blame the individuals, not the company.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Claude

@HatKing said:

@Turtlebird95 said:
No, guy who has never worked at Gamestop, it doesn't. When a game is marked new an is not sealed, it means that it is the last copy of the game. Since they don't want to put all of their games behind a glass case (like Walmart), making it impossible for people to examine the box, they gut the box and put the disc in a drawer behind the counter. It is against store policy for employees to check out copies of new games, not that shady stores don't exist, but blame the individuals, not the company.

I've actually taken a used game box to a Gamestop employee and they turned around and gave me a new sealed copy. I don't think I've ever gotten a new game not sealed from my Gamestop.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HatKing said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

No, guy who has never worked at Gamestop, it doesn't.  When a game is marked new an is not sealed, it means that it is the last copy of the game.  Since they don't want to put all of their games behind a glass case (like Walmart), making it impossible for people to examine the box, they gut the box and put the disc in a drawer behind the counter.  It is against store policy for employees to check out copies of new games, not that shady stores don't exist, but blame the individuals, not the company.
A friend of mine who works at Gamestop borrows new games fairly often, and he's not the only one. I'm not sure if the rules are different depending on the store, but believe me, people do it a lot. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Hell, it even says on Wikipedia.
CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By CenturionCajun

They shouldn't be. It is against company policy. In fact borrowing games against the set rules is one of the few ways to instantly be terminated. At least in my district anyways. They encourage you to borrow games for knowledge but new games are off limits.

Also, Gamestop will never try to sell you a used item as new. It just doesn't benefit them in any way. They want to sell that used stuff because they make nothing but pure profit off of it.

Even though I work as a manager at Gamestop I'll be the first to admit it's a greedy heartless coporation. They treat their employees like crap and want to squeeze every cent out of their customers. Not to mention their obsession with pushing merchandise that no one wants (Duke Nukem Forever, Dead Island, their stupid free to play game like Legends of Zork). However, they do have rules and standards that are in place for a reason. One of which is that any new merchandise has to be displayed on the floor. My store constantly has issues of just about anything we place out on the floor that hasn't been "gutted" disappears. It's gotten to the point where we even have to take the manuals and such out of games to keep people from taking them. So, the games are taken out for a good reason. If you don't want the display copy then I completely understand but don't take it out on the employee. That is unless they are trying to be shady with you. Then let them have it.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By LeetBalla

The misinformation in this thread is astounding.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Whatever, my opened copy of Super Street Fighter IV still works fine.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dany

@ThePhantomnaut said:

Blasphemy.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dallas_Raines

This is why I only shop at locally owned game shops and Amazon.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By BombKareshi
@ManiacMaysin: Amazon can go fuck a horse.

I ordered a hardcover book from them, and what did they send me? A paperback copy, and one that was somehow water damaged at that. Now, I'm a reasonable man, and I understand that these things happen. So I emailed them explaining the situation. They respond by apologizing and saying that they'll ship the correct product to me. A few weeks later, I get another paperback from them. At this point I just gave up, because I was having to pay for customs etc every time.
hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hoossy

I'm too lazy to shop at other places... 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Vonocourt

So politely ask for a sealed copy...It's not like they can get pissed off, spit on the disc and rub the manual on their junk.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hoossy said:

You're too lazy to shop at Amazon and stay home?

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hoossy
@Manhattan_Project said:

@hoossy said:

You're too lazy to shop at Amazon and stay home?

yeah.... I kinda like the midnight release thing. 

But I don't usually buy used games from retail stores... usually from Craigslist, glyde, etc...
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JoeyRavn

GAME does the same. And that's why I only buy on Amazon nowadays. (Well, that, and the stupid imposition of Spanish as the only language available in certain titles)

Abigailnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Abigailnn

it seems every time i go into a gamestop i get offered a job..

which is why i dont go to gamestop.. order online or bestbuy usually

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By scarace360
@ThePhantomnaut said:

NO YOUR SEALED COPY WOULD WORK BETTER. THE REASON YOU CANT WIN IS CAUSE YOU DIDNT GET A SEALED COPY!
Emmzyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Emmzyne

Or they have no dummy sleeves for said new game for display purposes, so they gut the games and put the case on the shop floor. Valid enough reason I think, or a customer has returned it within the appropriate return window.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vexxan

Always buy online. It's usually cheaper too.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By imsh_pl

At least you have Gamestops in the US or wherever you live...

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By Yanngc33
@Doctorchimp
http://www.amazon.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/
This is the solution to the problem
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pibo47
@Turtlebird95 said:
Pretty much this. As a former employee of gamestop however, i can tell you we are not supposed to check out new games. Only used. But they really dont care that much. 
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Marz

They've always done that before, it's best to ask if they have a sealed copy before they charge you, they should tell you if they have any or not.   Or yeah just don't shop there, i don't :)

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By shadystx

Brick and mortar stores having been doing this for years. 

They remove the shrink wrap and place the game in a paper/cardboard sleeve and use the box as a display case, It is one of the reasons why I switched to buying my games online at the start of this generation of hardware, but mainly i switched because buying online meant I could get the game delivered to my door on the morning of release sometimes a day or two early, Also I have been saving a few pound on game purchases as i rotate between Play.com and Amazon.co.uk as you get free delivery from play and games never cost more than £39.99 for the standard copy, Amazon have LE copies of games for £39.99 sometimes, Also these two sites usually charge between £29.99 and £39.99 where as some stores charge between £39.99 and £49.99(49 being the rrp in the uk which is a joke, pleased most places dont go that high). 

i have bought games brand new that look like they have been used and some places they actually have, my friend works at grainger games and has worked at both game and gamestation and he has been taking games home to play for years, they take the paper sleeve and disc home at night and bring it back in the morning, When i heard of this i statered to get suspicious of all stores as several new games had scratches on the disc and i assumed they had been used or poorly looked after while in the paper sleeve. 

I very rarely buy any games from in store, unless i happen to be shopping for something else and see a 2nd hand game I wanted or certain games on sale.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laserbolts

It sucks that you guys have experienced that stuff at gamestop but the one I go to is fine and I have never encountered any problems. It's a short walk down the street so it's more convenient for me than buying online.