• 51 results
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RazielCuts

And it's called 'Garnett on Games', first episode is here - http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/garnett-on-games-debuts-1569

Garnett gets back behind the mic to launch his new show Garnett on Games and the timing couldn't be better because there's no shortage of things to talk about. South Part: the Stick of Truth came out this week, Watch Dogs got a release date, a new Batman game is on the way this year and it's next-gen only, tons of audience questions already queued up, and a whole lot more.

I've followed Garnett since the 1UP days and then over to ShackNews for Weekend Confirmed and was sad to see Weekend Confirmed come to a close last month (?), even if it hadn't always been like the salad days of 1UP Yours (with some guests that were more favourable than others) I've always valued Garnett's opinion on games and the industry.

I'm only about 10 mins in to the ep but my first impressions are it's a bit odd to listen to a one man podcast. I've always felt you needed at least one other person, if not more, to have some sense of a back and forth discussion. It's a fine balance because you don't want too many people and them feeling they have to wait their turn to speak but for the conversation to flow naturally. We'll see how it works listening to the rest.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The one man podcast does sound a little different but being that it's Garnett I'll check it out. I to have been a fan since the 1up days.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bane122

Little over 30 minutes in and I agree it's weird having just one person but I'm digging it. It sounds much better than I expected.

What I wonder about, though, is what will he do with this show when he and Cannata start theirs. Will it become a bit redundant?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I don't understand why he would even want to do a one man show, seems like it would be boring for him, I also wonder why he couldn't get anyone to sit in on it with him, were the guests/Cannata on weekend confirmed getting paid to sit in?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I don't understand why he would even want to do a one man show, seems like it would be boring for him, I also wonder why he couldn't get anyone to sit in on it with him, were the guests/Cannata on weekend confirmed getting paid to sit in?

I imagine that it gives him something productive to do while he searches for new employment.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Weekend Confirmed so I'll check it out. Not sure I like the name though.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: He's still going to do a show with Cannata (and some of the others, I believe), they're just waiting until he finishes a play he's been doing the last few weeks to get it going.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe he'll just segway from this into the podcast with Cannata when he's done with his play. Regardless, hey, cool. Garnett Lee's pretty alright in my book.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I like Garnett Lee. I can disagree with him, yet I still respect his ideas and knowledge because of how he presents himself. I hope he lands somewhere good for him. What I really wold love is John Davison and Garenett to be on a show together again. The big problem is the age of the "audio only" show is declining. There will always be a need for audio shows about games, but video is where the action is now. For good or ill, Garnett need to land where people are doing video shows.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Man, I don't know. Maybe if he can avoid trying to broach any sexism topics I might give him another shot. It got so bad on Weekend Confirmed that I had to stop listening. Andrew Yoon was the only person there that didn't have a mouth full of bullshit.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Garnett, but Jeff is probably the only person who could make a one man podcast that I would listen to (and he already has, choo choo!).

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Well, I was hoping for a few others to join him, but I really liked weekend confirmed and Garnet Lee so I'll give it a listen. I also know a one man podcast can work, given Jeff does a pretty damn good one every once in a while.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@amyggen said:

I like Garnett, but Jeff is probably the only person who could make a one man podcast that I would listen to (and he already has, choo choo!).

The NDX got so fucking tired so quickly. It was a running joke stretched to its absolute breaking point that only worked as it did for a while because Jeff was under the impression that Nintendo were the ones writing all of those disparate descriptions and not, you know, the marketing teams behind each individual game. I was frankly quite happy when Ryan forced him to knock that shit off on the Bombcast because, by the time that Jeff was reading an entire press release in super-slow motion voice that took something like ten minutes to get through, he had run that schtick into the ground.

Jeff does some great solo work like the jar time videos and his Encyclopedia Bombastica entries, but NDX is a piece of shit and always was.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Thank you for posting this. I don't follow Twitter that closely and was wondering what he was going to do next. It doesn't sound great though, one-man podcast. I heard he was going to do something with Cannata. That's something I'm interested in.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi
@amyggen said:

Long live NDX. I don't care what the haters say I enjoyed every episode. Shame that the plug was apparently pulled on the RSS feed. My favorite was when he tricked Brad and Vinny to be on the show.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ugh, Garnett alone..... that's gotta be painful to listen to, setting up straw man arguments with himself and then lifting arguements from message boards without understanding them..... I miss John Davidson, Luke Smith and Shane Bettenhausen days.... like over 5 years ago, jesus times flies.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being a one man podcast will make it hard for him to work in his "that's what she said" jokes. Awful jokes aside, I like Garnett Lee and will check it out as well.

Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The man is a damnable pervert and I shan't listen to a single utterance of the putrid vile that comes from his despicable mouth.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Now that he's got a one man show Garnett is gonna win the Tail Gate picks next season.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@cale said:

The man is a damnable pervert and I shan't listen to a single utterance of the putrid vile that comes from his despicable mouth.

What are you talking about?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floope said:

@hailinel: Na it was awesome.

I'd appreciate it if you could be more descriptive than that.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mosespippy

@cale said:

No Caption Provided

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Quite the reaction you have to NDX there! I just always found the show entertaining, and never got tired of the joke. And I really doubt that Jeff or any of the others at any point thought Nintendo themselves were writing those, of course it was marketers.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hailinel: he didn't get fired, gamefly just stopped funding his podcast.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@hailinel: Quite the reaction you have to NDX there! I just always found the show entertaining, and never got tired of the joke. And I really doubt that Jeff or any of the others at any point thought Nintendo themselves were writing those, of course it was marketers.

I recall very specifically a podcast or video where it was pointed out to them that Nintendo didn't write them all, and their response was, well, surprise. They seemed to operate for the longest time under the assumption that there was some person or team at Nintendo that was responsible for writing the entirety of each press release despite the disparate tone and structure of each game description.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait what is this NDXand why can't I find it on iTunes and where can I find it now :o

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is Garnett Lee the effeminate sounding guy with the lisp on the old podcast or just the effeminate sounding guy?

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NMC2008

Is Garnett Lee the effeminate sounding guy with the lisp on the old podcast or just the effeminate sounding guy?

What? A Lisp? Hmmmm, I don't recall anyone with a lisp.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@nmc2008 said:

@shadowskill11 said:

I don't remember who was talking but on Weekend Confirmed there was a regular that always had a lisp when he talked.

DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By DylanGW

Honestly it was never Garnett that made 1up Yours great; it was the other hosts like Shane Bettenhausen and John Davidson. The quality of a Garnett podcast has always depended on who was along for the ride; and the magic of 1up Yours has never been matched.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowskill11 said:

@nmc2008 said:

@shadowskill11 said:

I don't remember who was talking but on Weekend Confirmed there was a regular that always had a lisp when he talked.

Andrew Yoon?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Nodima

Wait what is this NDXand why can't I find it on iTunes and where can I find it now :o

I'm sure someone will beat me to it since the file is over on my laptop, all the way over there on the other side of the room, but if they don't remind me to send it to you in a PM or this thread later. Sometime during the 2011 podcasts (pretty sure it was during '11) Ryan started reading from the DSiWare and WiiWare marketplace's descriptions during New Releases. Eventually he got tired of the joke and gave it to Jeff, who proceeded to transform it into something much more sinister and eventually spawned a series of 30-60 minute podcasts called the Ninten-Download X-Press that was in direct competition with the Giant Bombcast for Most Relevant Video Game Podcast in the World for several months before, well...the tragedy.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowskill11 said:

@nmc2008 said:

@shadowskill11 said:

Andrew Yoon?

Was that the guy they nicknamed "Hamburgers"?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Wait, what's Garnett's job situation? I mostly just saw him on Bonus Round but he's a cool dude.

DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By DylanGW

@nodima: I had no idea Jeff turned the Dsiware Wiiware releases into it's own podcast...I'd listen to that. I could listen to a whole podcast of "hello small businessman" ads as well.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: afaik he still works for gamefly, it was just funding for the podcast that they pulled.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate:

@csl316: afaik he still works for gamefly, it was just funding for the podcast that they pulled.

No I'm pretty sure he confirmed he was leaving Gamefly all together as well. The funding being pulled was during the original announcement of the show ending. Anyway one man shows can work but I don't Garnett is the man to do one. Disappointed if this ends up being his only project.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Branwulf

I like Garnett but I don't know, I never really liked Weekend Confirmed after Brian left.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40 chaser324  Moderator

@branwulf said:

I like Garnett but I don't know, I never really liked Weekend Confirmed after Brian left.

Yeah. I think Garnett and Jeff Cannata really benefited from having someone else to be the voice of reason and balance them out. On their own, their opinions can sometimes be a bit too out there and contrarian.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

@wolfhazard said:

I'm sure someone will beat me to it since the file is over on my laptop, all the way over there on the other side of the room, but if they don't remind me to send it to you in a PM or this thread later. Sometime during the 2011 podcasts (pretty sure it was during '11) Ryan started reading from the DSiWare and WiiWare marketplace's descriptions during New Releases. Eventually he got tired of the joke and gave it to Jeff, who proceeded to transform it into something much more sinister and eventually spawned a series of 30-60 minute podcasts called the Ninten-Download X-Press that was in direct competition with the Giant Bombcast for Most Relevant Video Game Podcast in the World for several months before, well...the tragedy.

I asked Jeff about these on his tumblr and he told me they'd never see the light of day, ever again.

I'd love to stumble on the archive, though, if you have it!

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garnett is cool, and though I always under appreciated him during the first two podcasts (DLC SEVERELY lacks his presence) a one man show with just Garnett would be nothing but his most annoying qualities with nobody to cut him down or challenge him. No conflict no interesting conversation. Not interested.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garnett's best ability as a podcast host was keeping the shows nice and tight while still allowing for some format movement. I don't think anyone has matched that to date. Him, talking into a mic by himself, is the last thing I want as a podcast from him.

I mostly liked Weekend Confirmed, but it fluctuated with the third/fourth chairs. Yoon, Spicer, Nikole, Jeff Matis, and others were good, but I found any podcast with Andrea Rene on it to be a fucking chore to make it through. She always came off like she never actually played further than an hour into games, and she said bullshit like "Your favorite game of the year shouldn't be your vote for best game of the year," as if there was a way to properly split your opinion from your vote. That's like saying "I like this game, but I am going to vote for this other game because people say it is the best."

Ugh.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By hollitz

I love Garnett, but I also love someone calling him on his English-Major-I-Read-The-First-Three-Chapters bullshit. Will check out the podcast. After all the years of entertainment, I owe Garnett that much.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By alternate

@ottoman673: I remember that Q. Didn't he say that they would not be on the main site again? I am sure he has talked about hosting those files on his own domains when he gets his act together.

In fact - these might be the very files you are looking for. Mobile atm so can'r check.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/56762334798/ndx-zip

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great one-man podcast.

SiMMENS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

glad to see he's still at it

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mosespippy
sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By sub_o

I really like his voice. And I somewhat prefer this to Weekend Confirmed, mainly because sometimes Weekend Confirmed (WC) can be very chaotic and everyone just interrupt each other.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garnett's best ability as a podcast host was keeping the shows nice and tight while still allowing for some format movement. I don't think anyone has matched that to date. Him, talking into a mic by himself, is the last thing I want as a podcast from him.

I mostly liked Weekend Confirmed, but it fluctuated with the third/fourth chairs. Yoon, Spicer, Nikole, Jeff Matis, and others were good, but I found any podcast with Andrea Rene on it to be a fucking chore to make it through. She always came off like she never actually played further than an hour into games, and she said bullshit like "Your favorite game of the year shouldn't be your vote for best game of the year," as if there was a way to properly split your opinion from your vote. That's like saying "I like this game, but I am going to vote for this other game because people say it is the best."

Ugh.

I pretty much co-sign on these opinions. I came to Weekend Confirmed very late, but enjoyed about 6 months before they shut down. Andrea Rene I found quite painful, also I had to fast-forward some of their excessively detailed discussions about driving sim games. Still i enjoyed it overall and kind of miss it. DLC is alright though, especially if the guest is right.