finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Edited By finmon

No Caption Provided

I’m ashamed to admit it, but until this weekend my copy of Battlefield: Bad Company lay on my shelf, largely unplayed, for about 6 or 7 months. Bought on the cheap along with three or four other games it got lost in shuffle as my “games to play:time to play them” ratio got seriously out of whack. What a waste right?

I had played a bit of the rather pedestrian single player mode a couple of times when I first got it and didn’t really see what the fuss was about. With the sequel coming out in a couple of months I figured I should give multiplayer a shot before everyone jumps ship, if only to rack up a couple of achievements. Silly me for not checking it out sooner! 

The huge variety of character classes lends itself to amazing depth to the way you choose to play and the strategies you employ.  The great maps and destructible landscape make it all the sweeter. Almost makes me regret putting so much time in to Lego Indy (almost).

Between now and its inevitable demise at the hands of BF:BC 2, I intend to make up for lost time! 

Question of the Week:
(1)  Whats the longest you have left a game to gather dust, largely unplayed? 
(2) Did you end up sorry you ignored it or sorry you bought it?
finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By finmon

No Caption Provided

I’m ashamed to admit it, but until this weekend my copy of Battlefield: Bad Company lay on my shelf, largely unplayed, for about 6 or 7 months. Bought on the cheap along with three or four other games it got lost in shuffle as my “games to play:time to play them” ratio got seriously out of whack. What a waste right?

I had played a bit of the rather pedestrian single player mode a couple of times when I first got it and didn’t really see what the fuss was about. With the sequel coming out in a couple of months I figured I should give multiplayer a shot before everyone jumps ship, if only to rack up a couple of achievements. Silly me for not checking it out sooner! 

The huge variety of character classes lends itself to amazing depth to the way you choose to play and the strategies you employ.  The great maps and destructible landscape make it all the sweeter. Almost makes me regret putting so much time in to Lego Indy (almost).

Between now and its inevitable demise at the hands of BF:BC 2, I intend to make up for lost time! 

Question of the Week:
(1)  Whats the longest you have left a game to gather dust, largely unplayed? 
(2) Did you end up sorry you ignored it or sorry you bought it?
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Dude.
It's a video game. 
It's not a person.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By r0k1ll

That game is going to come during the night and slit your throat because you didn't give it any attention. Did this really deserve a blog post?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

i have had madden 07 on my shelf untouched for maybe 3 years

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX

BFBC sucked. It came free with my xbox, now I know why.

finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By finmon
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" Dude. It's a video game.  It's not a person. "
You leave people on you shelf for months?  Weeeeirdo!  :-)
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dudacles

I've had Viewtiful Joe 2 for about a month now, and have yet to play it. That's because I want to complete the first game before I start VJ2. That's the only game that goes untouched on my shelf, I pretty much play all games I have at regular intervals.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Coombs

I bought it on launch day,
Was really excited about it, I was a Avid BF:MC Clan gamer at the time
I played it for less than a week and haven't put it back in since.
There's just something about it I just hated, but I'm not sure what

finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By finmon
@Burns098356GX: 
I initially thought it was nothing special from the single player. Did you try it online?
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

Dude, I have a lot of great (and not so great) games like that! Kinda weird too when I think about it. I'll tell the truth, I feel a little bad about it but I never beat the first Devil May Cry when I got it all those years ago. Other great games on the last gen consoles I can probably name as well. I want to go back to them now. Oh well, I've also beaten so many anyways... 
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By End_Boss
@r0k1ll said:

" That game is going to come during the night and slit your throat because you didn't give it any attention. Did this really deserve a blog post? "

Of course it is, mostly because you could write the word "hi" in a text box and call it a blog. I think what you really mean is should it have been attached to the forums; to answer that question, I don't see why not. Its certainly not the most ridiculous thread GB has seen recently, and definitely holds more conversation value.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By bed

Metal Gear Solid 4.  

yup. after playing it for like, 10 mins, i really wanted to play through the first three games before playing this one. 

bought the essencials collection, beat 1 and 2 is defictive and won't work, so i'm stuck. I don't want to move on without beating 2. i've waited too long and i'll just go out and buy a used copy tomorrow or something. it's been a year since i touched MGS4

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

Several Steam games bought on sale. 

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CandleJakk

I got Bioshock with my first Xbox way back in January 08. Opened it once and played for 2 hours. Then bought Burnout Paradise. Never touched Bioshock since.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Burns098356GX
@finmon said:
" @Burns098356GX:  I initially thought it was nothing special from the single player. Did you try it online? "
I did. I still didnt like it. It just didnt have anything new, and everything it did have wasn't done very well. But thats me.
toolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toolus

I have Condemned and Condemned 2 from over a year ago that I never played. Not to mention the hundreds of cheap steam games I've bought and never even installed.

finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By finmon

@AjayRaz
said:
"Metal Gear Solid 4.   yup. after playing it for like, 10 mins, i really wanted to play through the first three games before playing this one.  bought the essencials collection, beat 1 and 2 is defictive and won't work, so i'm stuck. I don't want to move on without beating 2. i've waited too long and i'll just go out and buy a used copy tomorrow or something. it's been a year since i touched MGS4 "
Dont get me started. I got the Japanese version of MGS4 and even with my middling Japanese I was totally lost, the plot seemed convoluted and assumed you knew all about the previous games.  

@NTM said:
"Dude, I have a lot of great (and not so great) games like that! Kinda weird too when I think about it. I'll tell the truth, I feel a little bad about it but I never beat the first Devil May Cry when I got it all those years ago. Other great games on the last gen consoles I can probably name as well. I want to go back to them now. Oh well, I've also beaten so many anyways...  "
I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel there is a point of no return when you have to finally acknowledge you are never going to go back and finish a game.  At least these days you can youtube the ending.

@Skytylz said:
"i have had madden 07 on my shelf untouched for maybe 3 years "
Is that one of the ones EA are dismantling the online for? 

@CandleJakk said:
"I got Bioshock with my first Xbox way back in January 08. Opened it once and played for 2 hours. Then bought Burnout Paradise. Never touched Bioshock since. "
Well worth going back to Bioshock. The plot is amazing. Maybe the sequel coming out and the imminent leaking of spoilers on the first game will motivate people to go back and finish it.

Dafub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dafub

I told it was well worth looking at best FPS on the 360 that I own in my opinion. 
TiE23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By TiE23

I personally had a weird experience with Battlefield Bad Company. First, I got Battlefield 2 back in 2005 when I was 15, and basically played it every day after school for a year and a half.

So, Battlefield BC gets announced, really cool.... never consider even getting it until a week before it releases after reading some reviews, seeing that it's not like the fake BF game Modern Combat.

In June 2008 I get it, and over the next month or two I probably play through half of the singleplayer and spend around 20 hours online. I sort of drop off otherwise. The map packs come out and I go back for a little while, probably 10 hours or so. I'm not that great and I had trouble getting an even 1-to-1 K/D ratio, which is a bummer to me because I played a lot and was fairly good at Battlefield 2.

I drop off again, but temporarily go back in late 2008 to play through the rest of singeplayer and get all the SP achievements. Random matches here and there.

Then July 2009 comes around. I hate my job, my boss hates me, I quit... I get ready for a long summer vacation... I pick up BFBC1 again for the first time in probably 4 months... and I start kicking ass. I start getting first place finishes, racking up kills, winning games, and my K/D ratio quickly jumps from around 1.1 to 1.3 and continues to climb.

Anyway, long story short, I play it every day for about two months, make tons of friends, reach 10,002 kills. I start to keep track of my stats by print screening the stats page on the BF website.

• July 2009: 70 hours, 1.365 K/D, 400 games played, 105688 points, 4008 kills
  • September 2009: 150 hours, 1.578 K/D, 828 games played, 250813 points , 9826 kills   
  • November 2009: 223 hours, 1.73 K/D, 1252 games played, 397221 points, 16045 kills
  • Today:  257 hours, 1.785 K/D, 1452 games played, 466298 points, 19019 kills.
 Also, my K/D has always been a little skewed thanks to my early days of sucking at the game. If I remove those days, my K/D is more around 2.1 to 1. And my skill rank usually hovers around 3, 2 on good days, 4 on bad days.

I haven't played for around 3 weeks now because of the BFBC2 Demo, and I just feel like I can't go back.
Oh, and in the demo I'm getting like 2.0 K/D and higher each match. I think half of the time I'm in first place. And I'm no armor whore, either... though if given the chance I will rock your face off with a tank, but I get my scores because of the way I play: Fast and hard... I set charges and kill people, a lot.

Oh, so, yeah. My game collected dust for a good few months before the game ended up being in my disc drive 24/7.

PS: I'm in a sort of "ask me anything" position on BFBC1, if there was a trivia show with it as the subject, I'd kick ass. lol