GB and CV are sold to CBS. Going back to the Gamespot building...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By matthew

Just announced in the livestream, Giant Bomb and Comic Vine have been sold to CBS Interactive, and are moving back to the Gamespot building.

For the past couple years, companies have expressed interest in the Whiskey suite of sites, be it investment or straight up being bought out. Jeff, for the entirety of 2012, has been in the middle of business dealings, how they are going to fit in the Gamespot swing of things. Jeff has said "Giant Bomb in its current form will continue to exist."

• When asked by the Gamespot staff, what do you guys need, the answer (and the correct answer imo) was "we need a place to put a couch and hang a deerhead."
  • Screened and Tested are not part of this buyout. They are going elsewhere.
  • Paperwork was officially signed on Wednesday, March 14th.
  • At 4pm west coast time march 15, jeff and co are going to the gamespot buildings (the gamespot crew just found out as soon as us users found out, on the stream) and one of the topics they are going to talk about is full disclosure on what explicitly happened in 2007.
  • If anything, they are going to have to be "more" Giant Bomb than they were before. Somebody wouldn't buy them if they were to go and change who they are.
  • Ryan Davis - "suffice to say we're going to keep having really bad ideas and keep on executing on those." "trust that those decisions are coming from us"
  • During GDC, the entire office was being packed up, hence the lack of videos this week.
  • Part of them going back there is "we will be in charge of editorial"
  • Brad, Jeff, Ryan, Drew, Patrick, Alexis, Drew, Jeff, Vinny, Alex, .... the core of whiskey media, along with comic vine are making the move over to CBS as well. Joey is not moving over. "there are no immediate plans to being people to the site (staff)"
  • "Fuck yeah" answer to people wanting to know if they can keep swearing. Actually, it was one of the first things discussed in the initial meetings. "We want to treat you guys like adults."
  • Will you guys have an exposed brick wall? "they're gonna do some things to the 3rd floor of that building (gamespot level)"
  • What does this mean for gamebomb.ru? "gamebomb.ru we're sorry to say is not coming with us on this journey"
  • "fate of nothing. the thing is a workhorse." when asked about the fate of the podcast. "I'm also not going to commit to having video on our podcast"
  • "I am proud to announce that I have found a copy of Binary Domain" - Jeff
  • "Do not send mail to the old office. We can not get it there anymore." - Jeff
  • Are you going to change the way ads are done on the site? "meebo bar is now gone. we are going to be cutting that amazing piece of technology." "we'll be able to hopefully have smarter ads." "members continue to be no ads. that will not change at all."
  • Reviews are still going to happen on Giant Bomb, even taking into account the plethora of reviews Gamespot puts out.
  • "What we will be offering in terms of reviews will be different in terms of what Gamespot is doing" - jeff
  • "Patrick is still going to be out there chasing down news stories"
  • "we're not going to cut off aspects of giant bomb just because somebody else does them." - jeff
  • "we want to hustle the gamespot staff at warlords" - the real reason they're doing this.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

There's already threads about it...at least a million more to come up, and a million blogs about "I'M LEAVING BECAUSE WHAH WHAH WHAH".

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Going full circle

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By matthew

@jakob187: Yeah, but mine is more informative.

@CL60: I can't stop thinking about how steve jobs left Apple, did his own successful thing, then came back to apple and made it totally better.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

New Chipin thing: "Retaking Giant Bomb", all proceeds go to Child's Play.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kindgineer

Sounds great, if their passion about it on the video has anything to say about where it will go, I have a lot of hope for them. The fact that Tested + Mythbusters has sold me already.

Can't wait to see what all that backing ($$$) and user base can really do for them. I just hope I don't lose these forums and this site in particular, I like the small community (compared to the juggernaut that is gamespot).

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Milkman

I am so fucking confused here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Giant Bomb is the 3rd topic trending on Twitter in the UK right now. Holy shit.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By NicksCorner

I really hope they can keep up their high standards. But anyways, big congrats to the whole crew!

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turbomonkey138

Well ill stick with giantbomb wherever they go. Finally going back to their roots i guess haha

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By swoxx

Here we go guys, prepare for more internet drama the likes of which you've never seen on the WM sites.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By UltorOscariot

I will be happy to keep reading Giant Bomb as long as it stays Giant Bomb.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ch3burashka

Does that mean the WM ecosystem will cease to exist? Namely, the links to the other 4 websites at the bottom of the screen? I don't use the other sites often, but it still would be a bummer to see the 5-site allegiance be broken.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Paliv
@Matthew Thanks for the detailed update. It's hard to actually figure out what's going on for those of us at work who can't watch the live stream.
Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rave

Do our current subscriptions carry over there are do we lose out on the rest of the year when this transfer is complete? Does this site remain the same or will I be going to gamespot in the future? So confused, what about Dave is he going or staying?

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By astonish

Congrats to the guys! Excited to see what happens!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel
@Paliv
@Matthew Thanks for the detailed update. It's hard to actually figure out what's going on for those of us at work who can't watch the live stream.
Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Aarny91

I hate change, but fuck it.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BrockNRolla

@James_Giant_Peach said:

New Chipin thing: "Retaking Giant Bomb", all proceeds go to Child's Play.

Love it.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By X19

Wouldn't CBS just buy Whiskey Media, take all the assets and shut all the WM sites down? 

Why would CBS want competition to GameSpot?

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Codeacious
@Hailinel
@Paliv
QFT. Thanks for this. Keep this thread open, please!
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#22  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I thought this was an elaborate hoax. Wow. Crazy stuff, guys. Good luck with the split!

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Paliv
@X19
Wouldn't CBS just buy Whiskey Media, take all the assets and shut all the WM sites down? 

Why would they want competition to GameSpot?
GB has a niche audience that doesn't always fall into the catch all major sites like gamespot and ign. My guess is they see they can get money from people like myself who almost never visit gamespot, but visit GB daily.
theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By theveej

this sounds CRAZYYYY!! I'll give you guys benefit of doubt, I have not been disappointed with the guys work since gamespot days.... hopefully everything workouts out well

also TESTED AND MYTHBUSTERS !!! WTF HOLY SHIT!!!!

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By morrelloman

I feel cheated. Someone explain to me how this is a good thing?

Lyfeforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lyfeforce

@Hailinel said:

@Paliv
tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By tofford

It felt really weird seeing the GiantBomb logo on gamespots homepage but I feel confident in those Duders to keep us all happy. Here is to stupid with a bigger budget

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BonOrbitz

Giantbomb to Gamespot: "When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master."

It's reassuring to hear that John Davison is involved! Congratulations Giant Bomb! Our little boy is growin' up.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By X19
@Paliv: Why would CBS care about supporting a niche audience? How would the sites make enough money to satisfy the men at the top? 

I just don't see how this could work in the WM sites favour. 
Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Sackmanjones

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about this. As long as things remain constant, I will remain a subscriber.  If things change I shall be crushed

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptainCody

@morrelloman said:

It isn't. Jeff and the crew will no longer be seeing the likes of Norm and Will, along with the interns being thrown to the streets. If you can be positive about that then something is wrong.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By superpow

I dont want to talk to the Gamespot users.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By theveej

@morrelloman said:

I would assume they have been assured somewhat of complete autonomy + CASH

Since most of these guys worked there before, im sure they be happy to be back with friends etc. Way more resources than before should help also.

I do agree that is really weird, and it might be disastrous, but that would be my rational

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By zyn

Sad that Rorie isn't going with. NEED A PUPPY EDITOR!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

I'll reserve judgement on how this all turns out until it turns out, but I'm still really bummed that Tested and Giantbomb won't have their stupid inter-office antics anymore.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By crusader8463

I just woke up today and the network of sites that has been my life for the last 2-3 years is sitting in shambles and flames. I still don't know how to feel about all this. I will see how it goes, but I can't help but feel like I'm losing a love.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By cornbredx
@UltorOscariot said:
I will be happy to keep reading Giant Bomb as long as it stays Giant Bomb.
This. If they ever change or stop being awesome, I will not only be sad (and crying man tears) I will no longer read/support their work.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By X19
@CaptainCody: Maybe Kessler will pull a Jeff and make his own independent site called BabyBomb. I'm excited :D
Trilleong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Trilleong

The worst part about all this crazy shit it that I have no one outside of the internet to discuss it with. My brain has just exploded and there is no way to properly freak out. Tested working with Mythbusters? Holy shit! Also I'm the only person that I know who even knows about the whole GerstmannGate thing let alone cares about it.

McGriddle550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By McGriddle550

We as the GB community have to troll the shit outta the GS users once the switch happens.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By spazmaster666

@MikkaQ said:

I'll reserve judgement on how this all turns out until it turns out, but I'm still really bummed that Tested and Giantbomb won't have their stupid inter-office antics anymore.

Yeah, but if that means the Tested guys will be working with the freaking Mythbusters, then I think I'll take that compromise.

LEGOslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LEGOslayer

@Matthew said:

and one of the topics they are going to talk about is full disclosure on what explicitly happened in 2007.

Is this going to be filmed and aired?

OrfBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By OrfBC

@crusader8463 said:

I just woke up today and the network of sites that has been my life for the last 2-3 years is sitting in shambles and flames. I still don't know how to feel about all this. I will see how it goes, but I can't help but feel like I'm losing a love.

Come on.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By sparklykiss