So am I the only one kind of getting tired of the main in office GB crew constantly bringing up the excuses of "drought" to justify not playing or talking about any games for like half the year? I think Patrick and Alex deserve due credit that those guys seem hungry and involved but the main podcast crew it has become a habit week after week of talking about random bullshit like how they like to check their e-mail or 10 minute conversations about Jeff being a 40 something year old man that thinks veggies are ucky. These conversations are fine when they are supplemental and those who don't want to listen to them could just skip over them. But lately they have pretty much been most of the conversation and there's been very little actual discussion of games they have played. The excuse that often comes up is "Slow time of year" which apparently any month that isn't August - November.
Here are some of the games that have come out in the last few months that have gotten little to no attention. Many of these have come out in the last couple of weeks.
1. Xcom: Enemy Within - not one of them played it or gave it much as a time of day and it's the stand along expansion to their 2012 GOTY.
2. Day Z stand alone - no coverage to date of a game that has sold over a million copies.
3. Rust - a short dalliance on unprofessional Fridays but otherwise nothing.
4. Chibi Robo Photo - not even a mention; I don't know much about it but I sure would like to.
5. Banner Saga - just came out but not even a mention on the Bombcast
6. Broken Age - ditto
7. Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1 - none of of them have played it none of them have talked about it. And the previous game was number 2 on their Game of the Year list of 2012.
8. Galcon Legend looks kinda cool...
9. Metal Gear Rising PC - A quicklook where Vinny and Brad both paid lip service saying they need to check it out but will they even for the sake of conversation? Chances are close to nil
10. Wii U Fitness - the olden days this would have gotten a hilarious Quick Look a la the Kinnect stuff.
11. Wasteland 2 - no coverage or even a mention at all yet.
12. Bioshock Infinite DLC - highly regarded by most of the staff (but not by me) enough to make near the top of their GOTY list but only one of them even bothered to check it out and even Brad only had all of 4 sentences to say about it.
13. Mario Party: Island - Out last week, not even mentioned. It looks like total garbage? Is it? Would be interesting to hear about either way!
14. Dr. Luigi - mentioned once on the podcast never discussed again and nobody bothered to check it out.
15. Rune Factory 4 - I know nobody on the entire staff even cares about JRPGs anymore but it's one that getting pretty good reviews and it is a new release.
16. Ys: Memories of Celeta - ditto
17. Wii U Party - no coverage at all.
18. Saints Row DLC including Saints Save Christmas - no one played, no one talked about.
19. Assassin's Creed Liberation HD - Just came out. How is the port? Is this game worth even considering? I'd sure like to know but I won't find out from these guys.
20. Bravely Default - looks like a cool return to FF form. Sure would have been cool if one of them had tried the demo for all their talk about loving old school FF games but not the new crap.
21. Gradius just hit the e-shop. Would be cool revisit.
22. Megaman X2 - ditto.
23. Kentucky Route Zero - got lots of critical acclaim, did anyone on staff bother to follow up on the subsequent episodes?
24. Assassin's Creed IV just got some DLC last week.
25. Dead Rising 3's come out next week.
This is not even a comprehensive list by any means. I'm sure any number of you could could up with a half dozen or so other games you'd love to hear them talk about that they didn't. Half these games are games that I just heard about and thought it'd be cool to hear something about. Half are games that I just went to their competitor's sites and looked at what was on the front page. If they don't want to play any of this stuff or talk about it, fine. But no more with the lame excuse that there is nothing to play or talk about. These guys just aren't hungry like they used to be. Brad is self admittedly singularly attached to DOTA. Vinny's game time seems consumed with fatherhood. I don't know what the fuck Jeff does to avoid playing games but he does. But there ARE games to check out and discuss.
It mainly seems like the main GB just aren't gamers anymore. They are dabblers. There might be one or two games that come out a year that they all play and have a good conversation about but other than that it's become a pretty weekly routine of hardly anybody playing or talking about anything. Hell did any of them even finish Zelda, a game that was number 2 on their GOTY list? I know Brad mentioned being close two weeks after the voting. And this problem sucks because I like these guys and I like hearing about their thoughts on games. I don't know what the fuck is going on at GB anymore these days but they really can't rely on the lame excuse that there is nothing to play or talk about. They just seem stuck in lethargy. Play some goddamn videogames, guys. Please?