Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By robtea

Versions (Update 4/23/2017: new video player update):

Chrome Download Link

Firefox Download Link

Safari Download Link

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure what the chances are of two video player Chrome Extensions being worked on in one week, but if you're not aware, Floobar released an awesome "Giant Bomb Plus" extension to help with binge watching videos: Go check it out if you haven't: HERE!

I figure I'll post what I've been working on this past week anyway since what the hey. It's a smaller effort. I tried to focus on one particular aspect of video watching...enhancing the experience when watching a multi-part video.

It's called Giant Bomb "Season Pass"

You can download it here: CHROME DOWNLOAD LINK

The source code is public and forkable here: SOURCE CODE REPOSITORY

No Caption Provided

It's a Google Chrome extension that will detect whether the video you're watching is split up into parts (e.g. VinnyVania Part 2 or E3 2011 Day 2) and automatically bring the other parts over to you in a sidebar that's integrated right into the video player. Perfect for stitching together Endurance Runs, 24-Hour Extra Life streams, GDC chats with a side of Buckfast, PAX panels, and of course it's safe for the occasional multi-part Puppy Chat.

No Caption Provided

For duders interested on how it works: It works by detecting the "Part XX" or "Day XX" in video titles, makes an API call to fetch those videos, and then embeds itself in the video player. I don't store anything in my own database...if you poke through the code and notice the Heroku server call, I only have that set up so that I can mask my API key server-side. This way, it should work for any videos, past, present, and future.

Currently, it will not detect the regularly scheduled series that aren't split up into parts--like Bombin' The AM, Unprofessional Fridays, and of course the far superior Super Professional Wednesdays/Thursdays/??? from Chicago. I did have plans to include this, but Floobar's extension does some great work there if you search and add them all to your playlist.

"Season Pass" will hide once you initally hit play, and it'll also accommodate for size depending on whether you've Embiggened or not, showing or hiding the episode descriptions. You can also toggle it on and off with the "Show/Hide Episodes" button in the video player:

No Caption Provided

If you happen to give it a shot, I would love to hear any feedback, questions, suggestions, or issues you may encounter. Feel free to fork the code as well. Hope you like it. Thanks.

-Rob

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fixed the download link...sorry about that!

haekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By haekb

This seems pretty awesome. Thanks!

Edit: And works pretty smoothly. Double thanks!

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, @haekb! Appreciate the feedback.

Glad you like it!

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Soon enough Giant Bomb is going to be overtaken by all of these extensions... then GameBomb.ru will take over.

This looks great!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I like this idea a lot and seems really cool. Will you have to combine series if the names are different? Like the Lantern Run, all 3 episodes are named differently (or just different enough) that it isn't grouping them.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fantastic work duder!

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since there are Giant Bomb stuff for Chrome now I guess I have to start thinking about migrating over... huh... Anyway, really cool that people are making this stuff!

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What in the- This is amazing!

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 65

Good work, duder.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The most dedicated fans of any video game website.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely these 2 extensions will work seamlessly with each-other. Surely. I'll report any crazy problems.

Avatar image for kung_fu_cheesus
Kung_Fu_Cheesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually a great idea. Very useful when binge watching things. I´ve recently been watching the Deadly Premonition ER but somehow the extension doesn´t work with it. It works just fine with the other ER´s though. Great work Duder!

pondwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My kudos to you, duder.

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! Glad everyone likes it so far. Very much appreciated.

This is actually a great idea. Very useful when binge watching things. I´ve recently been watching the Deadly Premonition ER but somehow the extension doesn´t work with it. It works just fine with the other ER´s though. Great work Duder!

@nightriff said:

I like this idea a lot and seems really cool. Will you have to combine series if the names are different? Like the Lantern Run, all 3 episodes are named differently (or just different enough) that it isn't grouping them.

Thanks for finding these issues! I will look into fixing the detection for the anomalies in naming convention like the Lantern Run series and the Deadly Premonition ER.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I feel like there is a Giantbomb Extension arms race going on right now. Also, pretty cool stuff!

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

This looks really rad! Any chance of a Firefox extension in the future?

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

You are a god

floobar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol, that's really unusual timing on the both of us. There's a certain elegance to this solution though for this use case. Looks really nice and compact.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@robtea: @floobar: You guys could just collaborate and create the Giant Bomb Season Pass +, just don't charge for it please.

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By robtea

I've updated the extension to v1.5 to include fixes for issues that @kung_fu_cheesus & @nightriff found. Shows with naming conventions like Running Of The Lanterns should now pull in correctly, and as should the Deadly Premonition ER. Thanks again for finding them! Chrome should automatically update you after some period of time, but if not, you can always click "Update extensions now" on the Extensions page.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

As a result of those fixes, it brought the possibility to detect other shows, like Spookin' With Scoops, Load Our Last Save, Worth Playing, or even things like Giant Bomb Travelogue. There will probably be some wrong/irrelevant data shown in the Episode Guide since it makes some assumptions, but depending on feedback I can just disable those as well. Figured I'd just leave them on for now and let everyone try it out and see what happens.

@floobar said:

lol, that's really unusual timing on the both of us. There's a certain elegance to this solution though for this use case. Looks really nice and compact.

Right?!? The timing was crazy! I couldn't believe it.

@nightriff said:

@robtea: @floobar: You guys could just collaborate and create the Giant Bomb Season Pass +, just don't charge for it please.

As long as Uplay is not required :)

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#22  Edited By Marino  Staff

@robtea: Nice work. You're on the front page now!

No Caption Provided

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks really rad! Any chance of a Firefox extension in the future?

I will be looking into this soon. Definitely want to get a Firefox and Safari version out.

@marino said:

@robtea: Nice work. You're on the front page now!

Awesome!! Thanks @marino!

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This seems cool but I'm not sure if it can do what I'm hoping for. I'm looking for a hulu style queue system where new videos are slotted into a playlist and removed when I watch them. Some times I get behind in videos and it would be lovely to be able to just hit play and see everything I missed in chronological order.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robtea: Awesome! I'll give it a go!

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: I get behind as well at times, and something like that would be awesome. Unfortunately, this does not accomplish that as it's more for bringing together multi-part videos or other episodes of reoccurring shows. Might want to check out @floobar's extension, which does allow you to create your own playlists: HERE

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You're a fucking monster, man. A glorious, beautiful piece of shit.

(P.S. This is the best)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Whoa. Sick.

Just image if these two sick extensions got mashed up into one crazy sick extension.

You rockin' totally sick, duder.

Makie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the extension but it doesnt work on for the "how to build a bomb" episodes.

Link: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/how-to-build-a-bomb-ep01/2300-11/
Browser version: Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Extension version: 1.63

Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Kato

Love the extension. The latest Metal Gear Scanlon episode is a Lucasarts nightmare though!

No Caption Provided

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By robtea
@makie said:

Love the extension but it doesnt work on for the "how to build a bomb" episodes.

Link: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/how-to-build-a-bomb-ep01/2300-11/

Browser version: Chrome 35.0.1916.153

Extension version: 1.63

@kato said:

Love the extension. The latest Metal Gear Scanlon episode is a Lucasarts nightmare though!

No Caption Provided

Hey @makie & @kato,

Thanks for posting these, much appreciated! I used to get notifications up top when a new post was in this thread, but I guess they stopped, so apologies on the late reply! The 'How To Build a Bomb' episodes should be okay as of a few weeks back I believe.

I'm not able to reproduce the 'Metal Gear Scanlon' issue though...seems to be okay as of now? Hoping it was a one-time anomaly...

No Caption Provided

Thanks again!

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nicolenomicon

@robtea: This suddenly stopped working for me today (i.e. not showing up at all), and I'm not sure if it's just me, or if something changed on the site to stop it from working. Waterfox 43.0.4, Win7 64bit, using version 1.65.1 of the extension.

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicolenomicon: Thanks for the message and providing your version details!

Update: After some investigating...there indeed was a change to the site. I've pushed up a fix on my end so all should be well now with no need to update anything. I also tested in Waterfox to be sure it wasn't a separate browser issue you were experiencing

Thanks again for the heads up! Much appreciated :)

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robtea: All working for me now as well. Thanks for continuing to maintain this thing!

SithToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can get down with this. Thanks duder!

Keichan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Keichan

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in a new thread or something that I've missed, but will this be updated to function with the new player?

EDIT: Also, sorry for the necropost.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robtea: Hey, if you're still supporting this I think the new video player has broken it.

robtea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By robtea

@keichan@nicolenomicon Thanks for heads ups! I've made some updates today to fix the issues it was having with the new video player changes. If Chrome doesn't automatically update the extension to version 1.65.1, you can click "Update extensions now" in the Chrome extensions tab to grab it. Enjoy!

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robtea: Thanks for continuing to support this! Unfortunately the latest Firefox version doesn't seem to work? Or at least for me it doesn't. I'm using v53.0 (64bit).

ploonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robtea It looks like the Safari download link is not working.