• 194 results
#101 Posted by Broomhitches (156 posts) -

If ABC fires Jimmy Kimmel for his "racist" skit, Giant Bomb should hire him.

#102 Posted by q_sic (5 posts) -

Jeff Green with Giant Bomb would be glorious.

#103 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (138 posts) -

Jeff would be a fantastic addition to GB

#104 Edited by Shevar (117 posts) -

I think that might work, but does anyone think that Green is ready to go back to the other side of the industry?

On another note and slightly off-topic, but I think Vinny should host the podcast instead of Jeff.

Vinny always comes across as a person who is genuinely curious about stuff other people do that he doesn't know anything or very little about, and that would make him great as a host to ask the questions and keep the conversations flowing.

Well that and the fact he adds cool songs and sound effects to the podcast :-P

#105 Posted by CDUB901 (116 posts) -

I was REALLY hoping that Adam Sessler would end up at GB once he left G4...I respect that man so much. I love the GB crew like none other, but Sessler can argue like a mother fucker lol...but he ended up landing at Rev3 which isn't a bad games site...but i'll be honest in saying the only reason i'm subscribed to their youtube channel is because of Sessler (i'm warming up to Tara Long though, enjoyed her Knack review)

I also really love Jeff Green. If he really did say that it'd be his dream job to join GB then I don't see why not unless they just don't have it in their budget. I could get use to his voice on the bombast every week and he plays off the others so well when he is on it. That's the most important thing IMO here at GB is how well someone meshes with the rest of the group.

#106 Posted by RobotSquad (212 posts) -

@jrock3x8 said:

that podcast has been missing a true host since Ryan passed. At the risk of sounding insensitive, I immediately thought of Rich Gallup to be the new face of Giant Bomb (Jeff for whatever reason seems reluctant to really take on that role) but it also seems Rich has moved on to other things in his life.

I don't think Jeff Green is the answer. Not a culture fit.

Maybe it's just me, but Jeff has always been the face of Giant Bomb. Even while Ryan was actually hosting everything, I always thought of it as Jeff's thing.

#107 Posted by crithon (2594 posts) -

man, I miss the Brodeo

#108 Posted by TurboMan (6960 posts) -

Maybe it's just me, but Jeff has always been the face of Giant Bomb. Even while Ryan was actually hosting everything, I always thought of it as Jeff's thing.

That's probably because Giant Bomb wouldn't have been a thing if Jeff was never let go in the first place.

I'm all for hiring Jeff Green if GB could scrap up the money for it

#109 Edited by ProfessorEss (7130 posts) -

I agree the GB and Green work great together when they get together, I'm just not sure Gerstman and Shoemaker could handle that kind of positivity on a daily basis.

Though Green/Caravella Quicklooks would be glorious.

#110 Posted by dudeglove (7275 posts) -

Jeff Green said as much himself that he'll rise to the challenge if Gerstmann somehow mysteriously falls down a set of stairs.

#112 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

I don't know about hiring him but I love Jeff Green and would love to see more of him as a guest.

#113 Edited by GaspoweR (2517 posts) -

Giant Bomb should sign LeBron James

Yep, this is a LeBron James "bringing-my-talents-to-South-Beach" kind of situation if this ever happens.

#114 Posted by oldenglishC (860 posts) -

Dave Chappelle isn't super busy at the moment.

#115 Posted by GaspoweR (2517 posts) -

@ramone said:

@cale said:

Consider they couldn't pay Patrick enough to start a family in California, I doubt they could manage to bring on someone like Jeff.

As far as I know, Patrick didn't move for financial reasons.

I think he once implicated that money was one of the reasons (not THE reason, but one). However I'm not sure if he said that or if I've just read it enough on some forums to believe it, so take that with a huge grain of salt.

I remember him saying that part of his plans when he was going to get married was to move closer to family.

#116 Posted by RobotSquad (212 posts) -
#117 Posted by ripelivejam (2821 posts) -

they should hire all the jeff greens. one for every voxel in the next gen.

#118 Edited by RazielCuts (2718 posts) -

@turboman: Haha, so great that 'Peggle' was specifically mentioned and then he ended up working at and subsequently leaving PopCap :D

*Edit* Actually damn, re watching that. Was that like edited or something? 'He went to EA'? He predicted his own future so well! And pretty much 5 years to the day.

#119 Posted by EndlessObsidian (470 posts) -

Always loved Black Dragon. For those in the new, here is one of his greatest moments on GFW Radio.

#120 Posted by Gaff (1499 posts) -

@martyarf said:

Yeah, another white dude, lets shake things up

Do you have any suggestions of non white chicks that fit with Giant Bomb's tone?

Aisha Tyler?

#121 Posted by RazielCuts (2718 posts) -

@gaff said:

@wrighteous86 said:

@martyarf said:

Yeah, another white dude, lets shake things up

Do you have any suggestions of non white chicks that fit with Giant Bomb's tone?

Aisha Tyler?

#girlwood

#122 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (511 posts) -

Man, screw you guys. Now I NEED this to happen. So many great memories listening to 97.5 The Brodeo.

#123 Posted by Demoskinos (13910 posts) -

Oh? He isn't with Popcap anymore? When did this happen?

#124 Posted by captain_clayman (3302 posts) -

Having multiple jeff's would be confusing as hell. Unless Jeff Green went by JG

#125 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4289 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

Having multiple jeff's would be confusing as hell. Unless Jeff Green went by JG

I'm all for calling him "O.G." Jeff Green, personally.

#126 Posted by BawlZINmotion (704 posts) -

There aren't many people around the industry that would be a more perfect fit than Jeff Green. It was nice to hear him on the Bombcast, I always loved his 1UP Show appearances.

#127 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Well someone has to replace Brad after his move to Polygon, so I'm all for Mr. Green.

#128 Posted by The_Ruiner (929 posts) -

And Justin McElroy while they're at it...

#129 Posted by SamDrugbringer (1100 posts) -

I love Jeff Green as much as the next guy, but you can't just recommend every awesome personality in games media get a job at Giantbomb when they're available.

#130 Posted by hunterzolomon (84 posts) -

jeff green at giant bomb would be a brilliant idea, one vote for green!!

#131 Posted by Roulette1986 (28 posts) -

I can't see them bringing in another guy at this point, it will have to be a replacement for one of the existing staff. Given the entire site is based around a video games 'personality cult' I would imagine one of the offsite dudes would be the one. In my opinion I just don't think it works having your personalities in a different timezone to the rest of the team. I kinda got it with Alex (you need someone on the east coast to cover all the local stuff, and he always struck me as the 'awesome writer' guy instead of a mainstream 'on camera' guy) but Patrick? I mean, his reasons for going are truly admirable and hats off to CBSi for supporting him in it, but really? I dunno...

Brad is a lifer, he ain't going anywhere. Vinny might decide to call it a day at some point for the same reasons as Dave, or maybe Jeff will decide he's had enough of the video games industry. Who knows!

#132 Posted by Humanity (8005 posts) -

Always loved Black Dragon. For those in the new, here is one of his greatest moments on GFW Radio.

YOU'RE NOT THE LORD OF THE RINGS!

#133 Edited by personandstuff (70 posts) -

@mracoon said:
@personandstuff said:

He's probably be a good fit. And really, GB needs to hire someone within the next year or so or they will be in danger of no longer existing.

I don't think they're in any danger of going out of business unless you know something we all don't.

Did not necessarily mean they're going to lose profitability and close with a year. But GB runs on personality and with only three main guys in the SF office its in danger of stagnating and, eventually, just no longer existing. Or existing in a much more limited capacity.

#134 Posted by Eladren (62 posts) -

They should totally do it, he's so clutch.. and could be the resident nba expert...

Jeff Green dunks over Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap during Wednesday’s Celtics-Jazz game. Boston won 98-93. (Jared Wickerham/Getty Images) VIDEO: Watch Green’s amazing dunk

wait...

#135 Posted by BisonHero (5691 posts) -

@the_ruiner said:

Given that Polygon lured most of its (big name) editorial staff away from other big sites by presumably offering them enormous salaries, I'm assuming that right now, Polygon staffers probably make more than just about any other video game journalists. Sure, there's an element of them "believing in the new era that Polygon will usher in by having overdesigned web pages" or whatever bullshit, but I assume someone like Justin McElroy appreciates the pay raise, given that he's been married for a few years and might have kids at some point, and he is able to live in his hometown of Huntington, West Virginia and work from home.

He's a funny dude, but CBSi/Giant Bomb would have to approach him to offer him the job, and as much as he'd enjoy the chuckles, I think the fact that he accepted a position at Polygon says a lot about what he wants/needs his job to be. Also, the dream scenario where he moves out to San Francisco is unlikely because I'm pretty sure he'd prefer to keep living where he is living.

#136 Posted by edoone (35 posts) -

xDDD! for me, it's Ok

#137 Edited by BisonHero (5691 posts) -

@mracoon said:
@personandstuff said:

He's probably be a good fit. And really, GB needs to hire someone within the next year or so or they will be in danger of no longer existing.

I don't think they're in any danger of going out of business unless you know something we all don't.

Did necessarily mean they're going to lose profitability and close with a year. But GB runs on personality and with only three main guys in the SF office its in danger of stagnating and, eventually, just no longer existing. Or existing in a much more limited capacity.

Well, they've promoted Drew to main guy, pretty much, by having him be on every livestream, and having Ian do all the "control room" stuff on livestreams that Drew/Vinny used to do. And Drew is sitting in on way more Quick Looks than he ever used to, because they can't all be Jeff/Brad/Vinny. So they sorta have 4 main guys at this point.

But yes, Drew doesn't fulfill quite the same role as Ryan, and Jeff has said in the past that as much as he can take over for Ryan in being the MC for podcasts and livestreams and PAX panels, Ryan was always way better at being the people person of Giant Bomb that was in contact with all sorts of developers and people in the industry. Ryan was the driving force behind all the organizing of the Big Live Live Show Live, and he was the guy who organized their E3 podcasts and arranged who came by to chat.

No idea if Jeff Green is the guy to do things like that, but he seems affable enough that it's a maybe? Again, during that podcast after Ryan passed away, I feel like Jeff specifically said he's never been as comfortable as Ryan with all that wheeling and dealing to organize guests.

#138 Posted by itspizza (420 posts) -

I do think GB will hire someone soon, I'm sure Brad, Vinny and Jeff are getting tired of doing 95% of the quicklooks. Everyone is saying Vinny should host the podcast, but everyone forgets he has a ton of work producing all of the video content, plus being in a ton of premium streams and quick looks. Green would be a great addition to the team, in fits in well with the squad

#139 Posted by Mayu_Zane (603 posts) -

@shevar said:

On another note and slightly off-topic, but I think Vinny should host the podcast instead of Jeff.

Vinny always comes across as a person who is genuinely curious about stuff other people do that he doesn't know anything or very little about, and that would make him great as a host to ask the questions and keep the conversations flowing.

Well that and the fact he adds cool songs and sound effects to the podcast :-P

Agreed. Vinny seems like a more natural (and more hilarious) Bombcast host.

#140 Posted by Avarix (46 posts) -

I think its much more likely they would borrow from Gamespot before adding more heads.

#141 Posted by abrasion (109 posts) -

Jeff isn't young (no slight on Jeff!) but I assume this would mean he kind of commands a semi decent wage, I'm not sure GB actually have the coin to go around to do this stuff.

I'd love to see Jeff doing stupid shit with these guys, it'd be fucking dandy but I don't see it hapenning for multiple reasons. Not to say the rest of the GB crew are paid like shit either, I don't know - but Jeff Green has a shitload of experience, I bet he doesn't get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day.

#142 Posted by RuthLoose (740 posts) -

@the_ruiner said:

Given that Polygon lured most of its (big name) editorial staff away from other big sites by presumably offering them enormous salaries, I'm assuming that right now, Polygon staffers probably make more than just about any other video game journalists. Sure, there's an element of them "believing in the new era that Polygon will usher in by having overdesigned web pages" or whatever bullshit, but I assume someone like Justin McElroy appreciates the pay raise, given that he's been married for a few years and might have kids at some point, and he is able to live in his hometown of Huntington, West Virginia and work from home.

He's a funny dude, but CBSi/Giant Bomb would have to approach him to offer him the job, and as much as he'd enjoy the chuckles, I think the fact that he accepted a position at Polygon says a lot about what he wants/needs his job to be. Also, the dream scenario where he moves out to San Francisco is unlikely because I'm pretty sure he'd prefer to keep living where he is living.

Dude... those eCigarettes aren't cheap. McElroy is the West Virginia gaming press!

#143 Posted by TheSolution (33 posts) -

YES YES A MILLION TIMES YES

#144 Posted by benspyda (1900 posts) -

Jeff Green and Justin McElroy joining the GB team would be my dream picks for additions to the team. Also Brad Muir. Ok they don't have infinite money but Jeff Green is looking for work so hire that guy NOW!

#145 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2604 posts) -

Think it'd just get awkward if he was hired. I mean who will become Jeff One and who will become Jeff Two???

#146 Edited by TheMasterDS (1874 posts) -

Jeff Green is cool but I think he'd be a better fit as a Testedcast regular. That's sort of the one thing that would bring Testedcast's podcast back up to classic quality. Either that or Gary appearing more often than not again but I doubt that'll change randomly.

Quick aside, I don't understand why there wouldn't be money to spend hiring a new person. Giant Bomb is a man down. Logically the money the company would've spent paying Ryan is free right? I think it can't be strictly about money, it's more about being picky. They've always had to be careful about new crew members given how personality driven this site is. Getting Patrick into the fold successfully took a lot of care and worked because Patrick was perfect for what Giant Bomb needed at the time, a news man. Anyone they add in the future will take the same care to introduce. They'll have to be just right too. Unless they're like Gary Whitta or Brad Muir, then all they need to do is stop by at random times and get onto videos or podcasts and have a good time doing it. That works too. But then that's not being hired, that's being a frequent guest.

#147 Posted by personandstuff (70 posts) -

Have we ever got any confirmation that are at least considering hiring another person?

#148 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4464 posts) -

You know, I remember a similar thread to this in reference to our own Matthew Rorie coming on to the team within a few months from Patrick leaving. Now that Ian is leaving, I can't shake the feeling this might just happen.

#149 Edited by LangarN (127 posts) -

Oh man how i miss GFW radio, with Shawn Elliot,Jeff and the gang. Pure comedy gold

#150 Posted by NMC2008 (1172 posts) -

I am getting tired of the whole Giant Bomb should hire thing. I mean I think they are fine as is, while they are missing a piece of their heart I still think they should stay the tight unit that they are now, no newcomers unless they are interns.