• 194 results
#151 Posted by DanHammett (155 posts) -

Giant Bomb should hire Windjammers.

#152 Edited by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

You know, I remember a similar thread to this in reference to our own Matthew Rorie coming on to the team within a few months from Patrick leaving. Now that Ian is leaving, I can't shake the feeling this might just happen.

He already confirmed that he's just about locked down a job and that it isn't Giantbomb on his Dark Souls livestream.

#153 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5517 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan said:

You know, I remember a similar thread to this in reference to our own Matthew Rorie coming on to the team within a few months from Patrick leaving. Now that Ian is leaving, I can't shake the feeling this might just happen.

He already confirmed that he's just about locked down a job and that it isn't Giantbomb on his Dark Souls livestream.

Oh, what a shame. Good for him though.

#154 Edited by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

@danhammett said:

Giant Bomb should hire Brothers.

#155 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

@nmc2008 said:

@danhammett said:

How many? Because we all know that two brothers are twice as many as just a single brothers.

#156 Edited by ripelivejam (3976 posts) -

@nmc2008 said:

@danhammett said:

should windjammers talk?

#157 Posted by MB (12426 posts) -

Sounds like Jeff may be getting back into writing about games. He made some off-hand comments during his Dark Souls streams that he "needs" the Xbox One, PS4, and a new gaming PC. He even bought the Xbox One but didn't buy any games.

Moderator Online
#158 Posted by Mister_V (1296 posts) -

@mb: Isn't he listed as a writer in that kick started gaming magazine thing from a few months ago? I'm sure I didn't imagine that.

#159 Posted by MB (12426 posts) -

@mister_v: I have no idea - but that may not be a full time job, either. I'm sure there will be news about his job soon, though.

Moderator Online
#160 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

@mb: I thought that too, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned that the new job wasn't press. I guess we'll see.

#161 Edited by freakin9 (1121 posts) -

The only guy I've heard on the show I'd consider is the host of polygon, and that ain't going to happen. A lot of people in the videogame industry are very dull, as much as GB might need new blood, I'm worried they are more likely to make a bad choice than a great one based on what's out there.

Also anyone that actually works for a games company will choose their words too carefully to be interesting.

#162 Posted by Mister_V (1296 posts) -

@freakin9: You Havn't listened to Jeff Green before, Have you?

#163 Posted by TurboMan (7547 posts) -

@freakin9 said:

Also anyone that actually works for a games company will choose their words too carefully to be interesting.

This is Jeff Green trying to promote his game, being produced by Electronic Arts.

#164 Posted by freakin9 (1121 posts) -

No, I have no idea who Jeff Green is, I'm more making general comments about hiring a new person than about Jeff Green himself. Who it sounds like isn't even an option anymore.

#165 Posted by Beeelow (17 posts) -

HA! I was just thinking this yesterday. It would be awesome to have Jeff Green at least on the Bombcast regularly.

@jrock3x8 said:

that podcast has been missing a true host since Ryan passed. At the risk of sounding insensitive, I immediately thought of Rich Gallup to be the new face of Giant Bomb (Jeff for whatever reason seems reluctant to really take on that role) but it also seems Rich has moved on to other things in his life.

I don't think Jeff Green is the answer. Not a culture fit.

You need to check yoself. Did you see the unprofessional friday stream with him on it? It was dumb, he didnt fit and he was annoying. I would bet dollars to donuts on Jeff Green any day.

#166 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

@nmc2008 said:

@danhammett said:

should windjammers talk?

Only if they talk about brothers.

#167 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

@benspyda said:

@nmc2008 said:

@danhammett said:

How many? Because we all know that two brothers are twice as many as just a single brothers.

2 Packs, they still come in packages right?

#168 Posted by Danteveli (1186 posts) -
#169 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5009 posts) -

Giant Bomb should hire [Insert Name Here].

#170 Posted by planetfunksquad (440 posts) -

@beeelow said:

@jrock3x8 said:

that podcast has been missing a true host since Ryan passed. At the risk of sounding insensitive, I immediately thought of Rich Gallup to be the new face of Giant Bomb (Jeff for whatever reason seems reluctant to really take on that role) but it also seems Rich has moved on to other things in his life.

I don't think Jeff Green is the answer. Not a culture fit.

You need to check yoself. Did you see the unprofessional friday stream with him on it? It was dumb, he didnt fit and he was annoying. I would bet dollars to donuts on Jeff Green any day.

Rich was good on UPF, what the fuck are you talking about?

#171 Posted by Avanzato (87 posts) -

If they do hire Jeff Green a short time later EA will buy Giant Bomb.

#172 Posted by alternate (2707 posts) -

@mb: Apparently he said the prospective job isn't press but also isn't PR shilling (obvious popcap reference) so will allow him to stream etc on his own time.

Realistically, even if GB gets money for a new hire, a vet like Green would be too expensive. They will be lucky to get a junior video guy.

#173 Posted by Veektarius (4840 posts) -
#174 Posted by TruthTellah (9122 posts) -

GB should hire Jeff Gerstmann.

#175 Posted by Duffyside (890 posts) -

Bump from the dead!

Sorry about that. It's just that I've had a feeling Jeff Green would be hired next year, and was searching to see if there were any rumors floating about this very idea, and found this thread.

Here's why I think this will happen, maybe as early as coming back from Christmas break:

1) While the site doesn't have "infinite finances," like some have snarkily commented on this thread, it does clearly have enough of a budget for another person, since we lost Ryan this year. It had been stated that CBSi has not budgeted for a new hire "for this year," but they will for next year. Even if it's not Jeff Green, I would definitely bet that someone will be hired.

2) Jeff Green's departure from PopCap was... swift. It's sort of hard to define why I feel this way, but in my own reading between the lines with his statements on Twitter, it seemed like he already had a new gig lined up. This coincides with my first reason, as I could see Jeff taking some time off before his new job starts early next year. Since Giant Bomb doesn't have the budget for a new employee this year, but would presumably have one for next, I could see Jeff taking a long break before he starts a GB gig the first week of January.

3) He sure seems to be doing a lot of streaming lately. Something he's never really done before, as if he's practicing to play games before an audience and talk about them. Granted, he could be doing this for his new job at anywhere; at Polygon or JeffGreenLovesJapan.Netcom. I don't know about you, but when I think of playing games and talking over them, I think of Giant Bomb... and youtube... shaddup...

4) When Vinny was hosting a podcast while Brad and Jeff where away, he called in Muir and Green to top off the cast. Now, maybe Vinny and Jeff have been great friends for many years before now, but it seems to me this is a relationship that is newly formed. I just get the feeling it was a "hey, you're going to be doing this stuff in a month anyway, and be part of this team, wanna help out/get some practice in?" sort of thing.

5) He sort of "fits" with Giant Bomb. Not just because they laugh at each others' jokes and are all left-wing hippie moth-... oh, sorry... but he fills in some "experience." He's got a long past in print and been around a long time, so he's seasoned. He's older, married for many years with a grown-up daughter, and has been a PC-pressman most of his life, bringing in some new perspective. Moreover, he's also had a bit of a past in development now, having worked at EA and Popcap. Not exactly a twenty-year-long programmer, but still, he could offer some insight none of the other guys have, except maybe Drew and Rorie, who aren't really prominent "editors" of the site.

6) What prompted this search and post; today Jeff Green said he wasn't going to stream because he was "working on GOTY stuff." Huh. I don't know exactly what that means, but he is not currently working anywhere. Maybe it just means he's playing games he missed out on and that was a joke, or he is working on his next job which is at Rev3, GameBomb, or any other site not Giant Bomb... ... or... ... IT MEANS HE'S ALREAD HERE OH GOD LOOK OUT BEHIND YO-

I dunno, it just feels like it's happening to me. Not a conspiracy theory or anything negative like that. I just really like the site and spend way too much time thinking about it. Personally, while I think Jeff Green would be a great addition, I had always thought the best move would be to hire a new video guy, and then let Vinny sort of be a "bridge" between editorial and production. Let him host the shows and the podcast, edit that too, but also hop over and help with video production during GOTY or BLLSL or E3, or help pump out more Quick Looks during the busy time of year, etc. It would give the site more flexibility, and us more Vinny, which is what the world needs.

TLDR; I like pizza.

#176 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@jrock3x8 said:

Gerstmann is the undisputed star of Giant Bomb but he doesn't create narratives the way Ryan would and they need someone to do that.

yeah, not to mention he can be very abrasive and prone to tantrums. they do need a strong personality to complement, won't be easy.

#177 Edited by Brundage (376 posts) -

They should hire Kyle Bosman!

#178 Posted by wjb (1662 posts) -

@duffyside: Eh, Giant Bomb has GOTY lists from friends of the site each year -- Jeff Green being one of many. That's maybe what he's referring to? Or perhaps for somewhere else, like his blog?

And Jeff has been on the Bombcast more than the one weeks ago with Brad Muir. Vinny probably got Jeff and Brad because they are Jeff and Brad -- also probably because they're friends, have been guests before, and are local.

I would like Jeff to be on the staff, too, but eh.

#179 Posted by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

@brundage said:

They should hire Kyle Bosman!

Read that as Pierce Brosnan. Not sure why.

#180 Edited by benspyda (2034 posts) -

@turboman said:

@freakin9 said:

This is Jeff Green trying to promote his game, being produced by Electronic Arts.

"We're not sexist but we are quite racist" made me laugh so hard.

#181 Posted by crithon (3269 posts) -

his dark souls streams are just pure gold.

#182 Edited by Waffles13 (610 posts) -

Just out of curiosity: Why does everyone seem determined to have more GB people? I'm not trying to sound like one of the people who hates change, but the podcast is still great, Quick Looks still come regularly, Unprofessional Fridays is ten times better than TNT ever was, Drew's working out great, and GOTY seems like it's going to be awesome this year. Sure, they could a have a bit more content on a regular basis, but this overwhelming notion of "When are they going to hire more people!!?!?!" is extremely weird to me.

If they want to (and can afford to) hire more people, they will. But the best thing about GB is the crew they have, and the dynamics work great right now. As much as I love Jeff Green when he's around, why can't it just be a special treat here and there rather than being "I like this thing, gimme more more more".

#183 Posted by hippocrit (240 posts) -

@crithon: RETRIEVAL!! I didn't earn this pretzel.

#184 Edited by tkalsey (155 posts) -

@waffles13: For me, there needs to be more variety of people on quicklooks. switching between jeff, brad and vinny doesn't create man combinations. Also, for me atleast, drew being in more stuff feels forced because they felt like they were a man down. They are also going to need someone to produce the live streams because Ian is leaving. That would put drew in his previous role and add green to the couch/podcast/QLs. Again, just my opinion

#185 Edited by BisonHero (6532 posts) -

@alternate said:

@mb: Apparently he said the prospective job isn't press but also isn't PR shilling (obvious popcap reference) so will allow him to stream etc on his own time.

Realistically, even if GB gets money for a new hire, a vet like Green would be too expensive. They will be lucky to get a junior video guy.

Why do people keep stating this as an "even if"? Since Ryan passed away, they've been down a primary editor/commentator, plus whatever unofficial titles that he had such as "host/MC of most events/streams". It seems like a real dick move that they would need extensive approval just to replace a coworker who passed away. GB editorial used to be Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Alex, and Patrick. Putting Vinny and Drew in more stuff and conning Ian into the control room occasionally doesn't change the fact that Vinny and Drew are primarily video producers, and not editors/writers. It's pretty heartless of CBSi to imply that "Hey, we thought you were overstaffed and wanted to downsize you anyway, but the universe took care of that for us".

I would expect that CBSi has said "Yes, if you feel the site needs another writer/commenator to help fill the hole left by Ryan, then we can accommodate, as long as his expected salary and skill set are comparable to Ryan's". I assume all this talk of negotiating new hires is more about whether they can get 2 new hires, instead of just the 1.

#186 Posted by BackupPanic (115 posts) -

You totally read my mind . . .

She's the first person that pops into my head whenever these threads come up.

@jams said:

CARRIE GOUKOSsSSSsSSSSSsssSSssSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

#187 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1620 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

or Danny O'Dwyer

OR Danny O'Dwyer, I really like Dan I think he would be so perfect.

This ... he fits well within the GB-Team and is in the right spot in his life for a move like that. While I adore Jeff Green working at GB would be a career downgrade for him, that's not going to happen. Even if they had budget for a hire they couldn't pay him what he wants/needs (I would assume).

#188 Posted by BisonHero (6532 posts) -

@backuppanic said:

@jams said:

CARRIE GOUKOSsSSSsSSSSSsssSSssSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

She has reached what sounds like a pretty good position within Mythic, managing Mythic's use of the Warhammer franchise or something. So like, the responsible adult thing for her to do would be to keep that job and that steady paycheck. On the other hand, Warhammer Online shut down a couple days ago, Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes was also shut down a while back (which I think she was a major part of), and for all we know maybe Mythic's time with the Warhammer license has run out?

Mythic is either due to announce a new Warhammer game pretty damn soon (there's nothing right now), in which case Carrie would be involved front and center, or possibly they won't have Warhammer for much longer, in which case Carrie would be out of a job. So maybe they could get Carrie in the new year? WILD SPECULATION.

#189 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@backuppanic said:

@jams said:

She has reached what sounds like a pretty good position within Mythic, managing Mythic's use of the Warhammer franchise or something. So like, the responsible adult thing for her to do would be to keep that job and that steady paycheck. On the other hand, Warhammer Online shut down a couple days ago, Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes was also shut down a while back (which I think she was a major part of), and for all we know maybe Mythic's time with the Warhammer license has run out?

Mythic is either due to announce a new Warhammer game pretty damn soon (there's nothing right now), in which case Carrie would be involved front and center, or possibly they won't have Warhammer for much longer, in which case Carrie would be out of a job. So maybe they could get Carrie in the new year? WILD SPECULATION.

I thought they straight up lost the licenses to Warhammer already and that's why they had to shut all of their games down?

#190 Edited by darkest4 (416 posts) -

I've long since given up on GB hiring anyone but an unknown young dude willing to work for a starter salary at this point. CBSi just doesn't seem to value GB much or want to open their wallets up anymore, if they were going to make any strong hires they would have made moves in earnest to fill the huge hole after Ryan passed but nope, they've only lost more people since then. There's been threads like this for like every decent guest who has appeared on GB, give it up already guys, GB most likely doesn't have the budget for guys like this unfortunately.

#191 Posted by cosi83 (397 posts) -

Agreed. Green would be a great addition. Show these young punks whats what. Does he regularly feature on a podcast?

#192 Posted by sionweeks (649 posts) -

That would be fucking amazing.

#193 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3154 posts) -

Jeff Green is fantastic. If they wanted to get someone new that's already well-known, Jeff would be the way to go.

#194 Posted by Ramone (2967 posts) -

Just out of curiosity: Why does everyone seem determined to have more GB people? I'm not trying to sound like one of the people who hates change, but the podcast is still great, Quick Looks still come regularly, Unprofessional Fridays is ten times better than TNT ever was, Drew's working out great, and GOTY seems like it's going to be awesome this year. Sure, they could a have a bit more content on a regular basis, but this overwhelming notion of "When are they going to hire more people!!?!?!" is extremely weird to me.

If they want to (and can afford to) hire more people, they will. But the best thing about GB is the crew they have, and the dynamics work great right now. As much as I love Jeff Green when he's around, why can't it just be a special treat here and there rather than being "I like this thing, gimme more more more".

More people pretty much equals more content. Just look at how much QLs dropped off when Pat moved back to Chicago.

#195 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Jeff Green should be the official special guest fillin. He isnt the type to want to play 5 games a week so he can have something new to talk about on the podcast. Even back in the GFW days, it was more about the tangents than the games. And granted, GB is about 50% tangent these days but still.

#196 Posted by Vuud (1999 posts) -

Danny is the best, Jeff Green is a grizzled veteran, more so than the other Jeff, but what about my homeboi Homer? I enjoyed his antics during E3.