GB version of The Point

ithmoliar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Now I don't really go on Gamespot that much, but I just saw this video.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-why-watch-dogs-world-doesn-t-feel-real/2300-6419045/

This is pretty great; I was so impressed by the camera work and the valid points Danny was putting across. Real strong games journalism stuff.

Now I know budgets are not the same as Gamespot's, but does anyone else think the GB crew would be able to do something like this, and smash it completely out of the ballpark?

I honestly hope this kind of content is where the site is heading, and with Vinnie moving to NY maybe we'll get more of this, and the Screened style videos Alex and Matt used to do!

What do you guys think?

Also, I know Watch_Dogs seems to have underwhelm but I still really want to play it, but will wait for it to come down in price. Has anyone else had a super-great time with it.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ithmoliar: That would require them to actually spend time writing and producing . Giant bomb is more of a watch us sit on this couch and play video games site

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By forkboy

Danny O'Dwyer is basically an honorary member of the Bombsquad at this point so you could just pretend The Point is Giant Bomb content.

Also, if you haven't seen it, check out the House of CODs episode because it is funny. Especially Danny''s southern accent.

TheFeenMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I know Watch_Dogs seems to have underwhelm but I still really want to play it, but will wait for it to come down in price. Has anyone else had a super-great time with it.

I really like Watch Dogs, but I like any decently-developed open world game. It's fun and easy to get lost in the world just screwing around listening in and robbing people.

Also, the blackout power is a lot of fun.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Point is fantastic but it's also scripted, edited and highly produced and Giant Bomb hasn't come out with anything like that in ages (not counting GOTY stuff). I would like to see GB pick up this style of content again but either it's just not on their current agenda or they haven't had the manpower recently to successfully execute this sort of thing. Maybe these new hirings will change that though.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Nah I think Jar Time and whatever Patrick (clear eyes, glass of water, can't lose?) is doing fills this role nicely.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

I think GB has a been a bit understaffed for a bit. I think with 2 new hires, Alex and V-bomb in NYC, and Patrick being professional as shit in Chi town it opens up pure opportunity.

I love The Point and think it's rather insightful especially for a site like Gamespot which tends to lean hard towards reviews and news mostly. GB would probably try for a goofier show since that seems to be a common point among editors and producers.

Jeff has mentioned a few times he's eager to start trying a few ideas for video he's had in his head. Hoping he, and everyone else, get's that chance now.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Just please, let's never, ever do those photoshopped video thumbnails that have some dumbfuck making a face at you.

No offense to Danny, of course. But it makes even him look like an ass, in that context.

ithmoliar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I guess the lack of staff doesn't help, but it would be great to get more content like T.A.N.G. I feel like these guys need to flex their creative muscles, because they are capable of so much more!

Also, glad to hear the international meh-a-thon about Watch_Dogs isn't the complete picture of everyone's enjoyment.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Sounds a little too... Professional.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Danny's content is usually superb but like some have pointed out, what he does on GS is a little to professional for what pleases us at Giant Bomb.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ChrisHarris

Most of the GameSpot content feels a bit too straight-laced or forced, in my opinion. I feel like Danny becomes a lot funnier when he's riffing off the Giant Bomb guys and their relatively unprofessional style. That's why I would like GB West to slowly take up more and more of his time until he might as well be a Giant Bomb employee (in name, if not the CBSi payroll system)... in addition to the new hires.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forkboy said:

Danny O'Dwyer is basically an honorary member of the Bombsquad at this point so you could just pretend The Point is Giant Bomb content.

Also, if you haven't seen it, check out the House of CODs episode because it is funny. Especially Danny''s southern accent.

I pretend the stuff Danny is in is GB content.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pr1mus

Patrick did this a couple weeks ago which is not too different from The Point.

Loading Video...

The reaction seems positive and he said he's considering doing more.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I miss TANG

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giantbomb doesn't need its own version of the point. Danny is fine, and we also have Sterling doing Jimquisition, which is kind of the same format except it tends to talk about social issues in gaming more often than not. If Giantbomb can't add something fresh to the format, then it shouldn't at all.

The closest I could see working is similar to that Kinect video Patrick make. It's unlikely Patrick would be able to serialize it into a weekly show, however.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@ithmoliar: I think GiantBomb got a step closer to this type of content with Patrick's new spoken essay feature about the Kinect.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fetchfox

Huh, I have not watched The Point. Well cool, Danny is an awesome fella.

For the question, both yes and no. I trust the crew to come up with new and exiting material on their own.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The quality of Danny's content is always impressive to me. it looks like it could be a segment on Charlie Brookers WeeklyWipe or BBC News' CLICK tech show.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By BeachThunder

Here's your GB version of The Point:

No Caption Provided

ithmoliar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: This is what I mean; more produced, and well thought out content.

I love the stuff they do, and long may it continue! However, I also think the guys would be able to make more produced content with the crazy GB spin that would lay the proverbial smackdown.

Just like the GOTY videos. There was one from a few years ago about some kind of fictional drug everyone was addicted to, Jeff made me laugh till milk came out of my nose. I would love to see more of that kind of stuff and thought-provoking videos like Patrick's Kinect video.