#1 Posted by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

Hey, guys, I found this story on Destructoid and Facebook and I figured I'd post a link to it here. It's a rather sweet story, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something about it on the 'Bomb tomorrow as it seems right up Patrick's alley.

For those not intending to read the story, a fan requested that developer Gearbox honor his late friend, Michael John Mamaril, who died last month to cancer. To honor him, he asked they have Claptrap read a eulogy for Mr. Mamaril. Not only did they comply with the request, but they also intend to include him as an NPC in Borderlands 2.

Now, I know developers do sweet things for fans all the time. Hell, Gearbox isn't even totally fresh to the concept. But I think what makes this especially poignant to me is the humility expressed in the Claptrap eulogy. It sounds legitimately awestruck that they were considered so important to the relationship between the fan and his late friend.

I don't mean to say "Gearbox is the best developer ever." I mean, they still willingly unleashed Duke Nukem Forever upon the world, and, what's worse, made it out so that it didn't sound like one of the worst games I've ever bought at retail. But can anyone think of other, similar acts by development studios, at least in part? I've heard of a few of the marriage-related ones before, of course, but I'm curious to find out if there are any others that jump to people's minds. I'd like to think it humanizes the developers of the games we love a little bit, or at least the games we played.

#2 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

Very cool, always love seeing the humanization of companies and acts of kindness that can come from them.

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

There are a few 'late fans' who were turned into NPCs in WoW, IIRC.

#4 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

They also received rare or "unobtainable" items if i remember correctly.

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

That was nice of them.

#6 Posted by Butano (1685 posts) -

I've always been impressed with Gearbox's involvement with its audience. Been a fan of them since the first Brothers in Arms game on Xbox.

While they did ship out Duke Nukem Forever, I don't blame them for how poor it was, as they just tried to make this vaporware game actually see the light of day. And let's face it, they just wanted to get the Duke license, and I'm sure they'll make up for it later on.

#7 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@amomjc said:

@ajamafalous said:

The NPCs got special items or the dead guys? The latter seems kinda pointless.

#8 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Not the same situation of course, but I know Valve send people stuff all the time when they do positive or funny shit, and always support charity events fans of their games run.

#9 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@amomjc said:

@ajamafalous said:

Agreed.

#10 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:

@amomjc said:

@ajamafalous said:

The dead people of course. It would be pointless to put them on NPCs who are never going to use them. The items were custom made just for those players and were taken to the grave with them.
#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (34644 posts) -

Now all Gearbox needs is its own digital delivery service, and it'll be just like Valve!

#12 Edited by amomjc (977 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@amomjc said:

@ajamafalous said:

The dead people of course. It would be pointless to put them on NPCs who are never going to use them. The items were custom made just for those players and were taken to the grave with them.

Yeah, I believe a child with cancer was given the Phoenix mount before it was released as a gift for the Make a wish foundation, then I believe they named an NPC in Shattarath for him, but I could be wrong.

#13 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
@amomjc: It's the tauren outside of bloodhoof village who lost his dog. It's even voiced by the cancer kid and he also had a special phoenix bow that could basically 1 shot anything.
#14 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

They did kill the brothers in arms franchise and put out duke nukem but this is pretty cool of them.

#15 Posted by Creamypies (4012 posts) -

If I was his friend, I'd be pretty freaked out if I ran into my dead buddy in a videogame.

It is a very nice gesture by Gearbox though, good for them!

#16 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

This makes me all warm and fuzzy. No joke.

#17 Posted by EvilKatarn (464 posts) -

Listened to it earlier today. Definitely a very nice gesture from their part. While I don't dig Gearbox's games too much, these things make them stand out. The marriage proposal they did was also great.

#18 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

So glad the claptrap broke character.

#19 Posted by Rapid (1333 posts) -

That's pretty rad

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4658 posts) -

I'm surprised they agreed to the request. They really never had to.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9711 posts) -
@laserbolts said:
They did kill the brothers in arms franchise and put out duke nukem but this is pretty cool of them.
Good point, they should name an NPC after the BiA franchise.
#22 Posted by jakob187 (21514 posts) -

That was fucking rad. Good on them to pay tribute to a fan like that. I got goosebumpy a couple times there.

#23 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -

That was the saddest shit I have ever heard in my life.

Kudos+99999999999999999999999999999999999999