#1 Edited by marshall006 (37 posts) -

Why does it seem not many tps are taking after gears. Gears needs a competitor. The controls feel simple and it's the only game with wall bouncing. Why aren't more tps like this?

#2 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

Binary Domain.

BOOM

#3 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

There have been tons of third person shooters who tried to copy Gears, it's just that most of them are terrible.

#4 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

@shadowconqueror said:

There have been tons of third person shooters who tried to copy Gears, it's just that most of them are terrible.

Yeah I think this is what basically happened. I don't think I've seen any dedicated Third Person Shooter game not taking beats from Gears.

#5 Edited by ShaggE (6399 posts) -

On the subject of good Gears-inspired games, wasn't Warhammer: Space Marine really well received? Maybe try that one (and Binary Domain).

#6 Edited by GunstarRed (5099 posts) -

Quantum Theory. There are tons of games inspired by Gears and none of them really feel quite as good. The speed and movement in Gears is in a class of its own.

#7 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Nailing down items like movement and speed are fairly difficult, and with the way gears plays there has to be a lot of care taken to crafting interesting levels. In general the Gears format super explicitly expired titles are not noted for going that great in sales (Space Marine, Binary Domain), so it does not seem like there is a desire for a simple more Gears clone.

I think there is at least some recognition of late that games need to have some level of differing characteristics. But the cover based handling in Gears was a substantial and interesting enough change such that it ends up being a frequently used substitute for prior inferior systems (even if I'd personally argue Tomb Raider is the one to get it right..... how many times in this sort of game will you be not shooting and standing behind cover, but not want to be taking cover in combat. Cover buttons are redundant).

#8 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@shadowconqueror said:

Yeah I think this is what basically happened. I don't think I've seen any dedicated Third Person Shooter game not taking beats from Gears.

It's hard not to use the mechanics of a third person shooter. Which is all that Gears is. An awesome one, sure. But most of the games vapid press like to call "Gears of War clones" are actually just games with guns and over the shoulder perspectives. Oh, and cover. Which Gears of War invented...

#9 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

i don't know dude i thought gears influence was seen in basically every 3rd person shooter made after it. it didn't come up with the cover mechanic but it certainly popularized it within the genre.