GEICO sponsoring forums. This is . . . wut?

• 157 results
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#151  Edited By fox01313

Compared to just having Geico ads on the site, this seems rather shady indeed.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By GaspoweR

This might seem like a useless suggestion but if what if we try just sending a message directed or hashtagging Polygon on Twitter then there is NO WAY they can moderate that in anyway possible, just so we can get the word out. I think letting the guy read about ethical policies is one thing but to be outright CENSORED for giving out criticisms even if responses were well-thought out and not at all insulting or even threatening just doesn't sit right with me.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By GaspoweR

@adam1808 said:

Follow the money

That applies to JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#154  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@ll_Exile_ll: It's still worse than NOT doing it at all, and there are obviously other ways to make money than stupid marketing stunts. And they are already in some shit for past behavior of this variety so they should be making every effort to avoid anything that might seem shady to it's base.

This all seems like a bad idea. They can't keep doing this and gather any sort of a following that really trusts them. It's one thing to have an ad service that feeds ads to your site. It's another to work in tangent with weird, random advertisers to make the site less awesome.

cwilliams2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#155  Edited By cwilliams2k4

@DoctorWelch: Here's the forum post: http://www.polygon.com/forums/meta/2012/11/19/3668752/do-you-find-polygon-pretentious-and-out-of-touch

Naturally, moderators and editors had to decide if allowing this type of content in the forums was a good idea. In the end, they've decided to leave it up, but many of the criticisms in the post itself are unfounded.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#156  Edited By l4wd0g

I guess Arthur Gies is on the Polygon ethics comity; you know, the same Arthur Gies who used some of donations made to Rebel FM to buy their friend a PC. What he did seems like a questionable practice and to put him on the ethics comity only raises my eyebrows even more.

Google Neogaf Arthur Gies and donation-gate

Or I could give you a link to it's beginning.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487897&page=7

It goes on for several pages.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#157  Edited By Branthog

@l4wd0g said:

I guess Arthur Gies is on the Polygon ethics comity; you know, the same Arthur Gies who used some of donations made to Rebel FM to buy their friend a PC. What he did seems like a questionable practice and to put him on the ethics comity only raises my eyebrows even more.

Google Neogaf Arthur Gies and donation-gate

Or I could give you a link to it's beginning.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487897&page=7

It goes on for several pages.

I understand there are a lot of different contexts to apply to these things and that the real world makes it all much more difficult. Nobody said journalism of any kind was easy nor is doing so with integrity. I guess what gets to me is the readiness of so many of them (but not all) to dismiss the issue, be dismissive of those discussing it, and the general insincerity of it all.

I'm starting to view it the same way I view the "sexism/misogyny in gaming/tech" discussions. There are important, meaningful, productive discussions to be had, perhaps. Unfortunately, everyone involved is usually so far up their own asses about it that it's a lost cause. GAF has done a pretty decent job of chronicling a lot of these examples.

I mean, even look at the people in the "business". They're even dismissive of each other over it. The "nothing to see here" and "blinders-on" mentality may be the most repugnant part.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reminds me of that Subway episode on Community.