#1 Edited by uber_skedy (33 posts) -

Righto, another post looking for recommendations. I'm up for a good adventure game to sink a couple of dozen hours into and can't decide between Gemini Rue or Resonance. Sure, sure reviews and such but I'd rather get this community's opinion on which one I should sink the time into. A well realised story is the most important thing for me with these sorts of games. I don't mind working through some game play 'quirks' so long as the plot is engaging. Also open for suggestions for something I might have overlooked. I've played most of the older stuff and want something fairly recent though. What say ye?

#2 Posted by MiniPato (2742 posts) -

Haven't played Resonance, so I can't speak for it, but Gemini Rue is great. Well Gemini Rue won't last you a couple dozen hours (do you mean like 24+ hours?), but it's still an excellent game with an awesome story that will last you maybe 5-6 hours. If you do decide to get Gemini Rue, I suggest playing with voices off.

#3 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@uber_skedy: Gemini Rue is awesome, the single best modern day point-and-clicker I've played. Been meaning to get Resonance but I haven't yet so can't speak for that, but it does look good as well.

#4 Edited by uber_skedy (33 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

Haven't played Resonance, so I can't speak for it, but Gemini Rue is great. Well Gemini Rue won't last you a couple dozen hours (do you mean like 24+ hours?), but it's still an excellent game with an awesome story that will last you maybe 5-6 hours. If you do decide to get Gemini Rue, I suggest playing with voices off.

Yeh, I probably should have said substantial instead of 'a couple of dozen', that's probably a little unrealistic for the genre.

Is the voice work in Gemini Rue really that bad?

@Vodun said:

@uber_skedy: Gemini Rue is awesome, the single best modern day point-and-clicker I've played. Been meaning to get Resonance but I haven't yet so can't speak for that, but it does look good as well.

How about the plot? I'm a little thrown off by sci-fi noir plots because a lot of recent attempts at them have been pretty clumsy. Do you think they did a good job here?

#5 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

I'd say go with Resonance. Gemini Rue is worth playing for the art, it's really very pretty in a Blade Runner sort of way, but the plot feels like a mishmash of a dozen different sci-fi noir stories, complete with an amnesiac character and a stunning plot twist that you'll see from a mile away. It was a student effort and you can tell (though it's also impressive because of that). There's a demo for both by the way, so you might want to try those.

#6 Edited by Nentisys (896 posts) -

@uber_skedy said:

Is the voice work in Gemini Rue really that bad?

I didn't find it bad at all. It is no voiceover masterpiece but I don't have any complaints. I really liked Gemini Rue, haven't gotten around to Resonance. (for some reason everything I have seen of it makes me kinda indifferent to it.)

#7 Posted by JCTango (1364 posts) -

@uber_skedy: I'm going to have to say Gemini Rue at this point, even though I do like both of the games. The puzzles in resonance can be a bit weird sometimes, where you have to switch between characters, or use the memory mechanic. At times it seemed cool, at other times, you'd be asking yourself, "well, how the hell was I supposed to know that?" It felt like I was fighting the interface at times.

Gemini Rue, for the most part, is pretty straightforward; the story and voice acting were pretty good as well. Resonance does have its moments - some scenes can cause panic/fright; some scenes can elicit some emotion/sympathy. Like most memories however, some of Resonance's gameplay comes off as a bit fragmented.

#8 Posted by Brodehouse (10067 posts) -

Resonance is better produced (and performed), but maybe the puzzles can be clunkier.

#9 Posted by Bollard (5660 posts) -

I haven't played either, but

#10 Posted by Welding (145 posts) -

I've played both Resonance and Gemini Rue, and I highly recommend you play them both.

Gemini Rue is better though, hands down. Resonance tells a very different story and has a more old-skool-point and click vibe wrappen in modern storytelling.

Gemini Rue first, then Resonance!

#11 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

I haven't played either, but

Yep, I loved Gemini Rue, it's hands down one of the best narratives I've seen in a video game.

#12 Posted by uber_skedy (33 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've grabbed Gemini Rue to start with but will definitely check out Resonance once I'm done. They both sound really appealing now.