• 87 results
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

Poll Generated Character of the Generation: FINALS (479 votes)

Commander Shepard (Mass Effect) 66%
The Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) 34%

(Hub Thread)

This is it, folks! The finals for the Characters of the Generation are upon us! (And I'm sure some of you can't wait for these polls to just be over.) The final two enter, but only one can win. Polls close at 9PM Pacific on Friday, December 13th.

• 
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So two player avatars who have no personality or character whatsoever, one due to being an emotional puppet, the other due to being a silent protagonist. Nice choices, y'all!

Might as well call your main WoW character the best of all time!

taig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By taig
@bane122 said:

@crunchypickles said:

It depends on how you define a character.

A fair point. For me, someone with no personality is not a character. That's my biggest issue with most silent protagonists like CU, Gordon Freeman, and Chono. There's just nothing there but pixels or polygons through which the players acts.

I really do think CU only got this far either because Dark Souls or to stop Mass Effect from winning again, though. I'm playing through DS for the first time right now and nothing I've seen comes close to Shepard or The Boss from Saints Row. I'd be really surprised if most of the people voting for CU actually thought it was a good character.

Sorry, you are just incorrect on your definition of character. You are pretending characters that are designed to be simply a conduit for player agency in the world are not characters, but, I hate to break it to you, you are not Crono. For all I know you rock that same bitching haircut, but still you are not that character. That character exists, maybe only as your avatar, but it still exists.

If you change the definition of words to suit your argument all you do is create a problem of language, and hit a brick wall in a conversation. Please don't do that.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mikkaq said:

So two player avatars who have no personality or character whatsoever, one due to being an emotional puppet, the other due to being a silent protagonist. Nice choices, y'all!

Might as well call your main WoW character the best of all time!

That comparison may make sense between the WoW character and the Chosen Undead but it's totally off-base between a WoW character and Shephard. Because unlike the other two, Shephard has character, personality and history. Also I have to wonder what you expected with "Generated Character of the Generation".

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#54  Edited By musubi

@mariachimacabre: Not getting mad about anything here. Also, the chosen undead is intact a character. Just because Darksouls doesn't have a linear story doesn't make it any less of a story or the characters in that world less of characters.

CrunchyPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

@crunchypickles said:

@bane122 said:

The Chosen Undead's not even a character; what the hell people?.

It depends on how you define a character. In terms of dialogue, obviously CU isn't there at all. But in terms of actions that affect the story, then yeah he/she's a pretty viable contender. Personally I voted for CU not just because I've never been a big Mass Effect Fan, but I generally prefer characters that aren't just universally praised as some kind of savior. CU was thrust into a world full of beings that wanted nothing more than to manipulate him/her into doing their work for them. Even the term "Chosen Undead" plays into that; he/she wasn't really all that special, just the first to come along that actually managed to get to the goal.

I believe you are stretching the definition of character here. On his own, he has no personality traits, no backstory, no individuality, no agency and no motivation (outside of surviving whatever the game imposes on him/her). He is only customizable through equipment and stats. He/she is pretty much an avatar, more than a character.

I agree that Shepard is not the best of this generation. Personally, I would have rather see the Boss here (or, if dialogue options are the only requirement for customization, having Lee)... But given the options, he is the only character available.

But who's to say avatars can't be characters? In the context of the game's story, the events played out by the player aren't done by an empty outline. And characteristics can and usually do get fleshed out as the game progresses and NPC interaction changes depending on your choices.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Commander Shepard, because they're an actual character. Your Undead is just...a thing that's there. You don't even see their face ever again after you get a helmet.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the one hand, Mark Meer's Shepard is super flat. On the other hand, Jennifer Hale's Shepard is good enough to make up the difference. On the third hand, I've never played Dark Souls. Mass Effect wins.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Commander Shepard, because they're an actual character. Your Undead is just...a thing that's there. You don't even see their face ever again after you get a helmet.

I would argue that until the third game Shepard isn't much of a character either, just a cipher for the player. One of the many things that makes Mass Effect 3 my favorite in the series.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That seems to be a pretty suspect guideline by which to determine whether someone is a character or not.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@turambar said:

@likeassur said:

That seems to be a pretty suspect guideline by which to determine whether someone is a character or not.

The face makes the character. That's why Andross is my all-time favorite video game character. Tied with Olmec, from Legends of the Hidden Temples for all-time favorite character, period.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#61  Edited By Video_Game_King
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I want to hear how 34% of people here could possibly justify voting for the Dark Souls guy. He's not a character. And "I don't like Mass Effect" isn't an acceptable answer.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I want to hear how 34% of people here could possibly justify voting for the Dark Souls guy. He's not a character. And "I don't like Mass Effect" isn't an acceptable answer.

To justify my vote, I based it on the character generation process, not on their personality. I totally accept that The Chosen Undead isn't really much compared to Shepard in the ways of personality, but that's not what "Generated Character of the Generation" means to me. But, hey, everybody has different interpretations, right? If I was basing my vote on personality, I would've chosen The Boss, whom I did vote for until they got eliminated.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DeadpanCakes

@video_game_king: Correction: The face or lack thereof makes the character, haha

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

CU is a figure in the world that has an effect on that world and the people (s)he meets within it. That the character doesn't have proper dialogue doesn't mean that (s)he's any less of a character than Shepard, who's personality tends to vacillate between two moral extremes.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By pyrodactyl

I think putting shepard in the generated character category is unfair. He/she's much more of defined character than the chosen undead or the skyrim MC. There is very little ''generated'' about him/her. This should have been a category for non characters like the dragon age MC (not dragon age 2), the chosen undead and the skyrim MC.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think putting shepard in the generated character category is unfair. He/she's much more of defined character than the chosen undead or the skyrim MC. There is very little ''generated'' about him/her. This should have been a category for non characters like the dragon age MC, the chosen undead and the skyrim MC.

Shepard's gender, appearance, traits, abilities, and dialogue are chosen by the player. As much as the staff might argue, there is no one "true" Shepard. There is arguably less defined about Shepard than there is about the Boss from Saints Row, who is, at the very least, consistently psychopathic.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By pyrodactyl

@milkman said:

Hey, I stopped carring after a majority of the Giantbomb community chose Fallout 3 over New Vegas. You just have to accept that there is just a bunch of insane people on the internet.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

YOU DEFEATED

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By Milkman

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

CU is a figure in the world that has an effect on that world and the people (s)he meets within it. That the character doesn't have proper dialogue doesn't mean that (s)he's any less of a character than Shepard, who's personality tends to vacillate between two moral extremes.

Well, yeah, obviously they have an effect on the world but he/she has no characterization or personality. They're just a blank slate.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DeadpanCakes

@video_game_king: Alright, alright, you win. I can't keep up the stupid joke anymore, haha

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Turambar

@milkman said:

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

Well, yeah, obviously they have an effect on the world but he/she has no characterization or personality. They're just a blank slate.

The CU is about as much a character as someone's D&D campaign character is an actual character. That is to say, its as much one as you want him/her to be. You can leave the CU as a blank slate or you can role play his or her journey through the land of Lordran however you wish.

Opportunities for characterization are merely not laid out as front and center as it is in games like ME.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

@likeassur said:

Does it? Your character in Dark Souls is nothing, nobody, not even the name is worth mentioning. It has no lines, no way to voice any kind of emotion, let alone have any emotion. It's just a mindless automaton that does what people tell it to do, with no motivation of its own.

Commander Shepard is an actual character. They have weight in the story, literally changing the outcome of it based on what they say. The other characters care about them and talk to them, threaten them, fall for them. And even though you choose how they say something, they still make it their own. They have actual development throughout a single game, let alone the entire series. The Undead? Not so much.

Honestly, the only reason I can see people picking the Undead is because they don't want Mass Effect to win.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Warden is the true answer.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

@likeassur said:

Does it? Your character in Dark Souls is nothing, nobody, not even the name is worth mentioning. It has no lines, no way to voice any kind of emotion, let alone have any emotion. It's just a mindless automaton that does what people tell it to do, with no motivation of its own.

Commander Shepard is an actual character. They have weight in the story, literally changing the outcome of it based on what they say. The other characters care about them and talk to them, threaten them, fall for them. And even though you choose how they say something, they still make it their own. They have actual development throughout a single game, let alone the entire series. The Undead? Not so much.

Honestly, the only reason I can see people picking the Undead is because they don't want Mass Effect to win.

You're right, the CU isn't a character with motivations, emotions, and personalities given by the game. The game merely gives you the tools to shape him into whatever type of character you want to. Much like old school role playing games, you get out of the character what you're willing to put into him. To claim that he isn't one when your actions as the CU also have weight in the story, and affect the outcome of it based on your actions, and also have characters that care about them, talk to them, threaten them, and fall for them (ok maybe not fall for them) is kinda dumb.

Shepard is still a better character though, as I've already stated earlier. Though I've also stated I totally voted for the CU because I don't want ME to win.

(Also lets not pretend your choices as Shepard have any actual meaningful effect on the game world within any of the 3 games. That's been a hollow promise on Bioware's part since the first game.)

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Vuud
Loading Video...

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By hermes

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

So, that puts him on the same level as the avatars of The Sims, right?

Great choice for finalist of character of the generation, guys... Carry on.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By development

I think these are both terrible choices for a variety of reasons, but off the top of my head I can't think of a generated character that's any better.

edit: wait, actually, I think the dude from Alpha Protocol was better, although he looked realllly stupid.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

The Dark Souls character had no personality... how is this even a contest?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@turambar said:

@milkman said:

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

The CU is about as much a character as someone's D&D campaign character is an actual character. That is to say, its as much one as you want him/her to be. You can leave the CU as a blank slate or you can role play his or her journey through the land of Lordran however you wish.

Opportunities for characterization are merely not laid out as front and center as it is in games like ME.

In that case, let me rephrase the question. Even if we, for the moment, agree to call it a character; Is the CU among the best characters of this generation?

If you told me the best character of a book is a blank D&D character sheet or the best character of a movie is the guy behind the camera, I would have laugh at the absurdity. Why is it then that a character that has no defined characteristic of its own; who can be as deep or as flat as the player (and only the player) can care to make him/her; doesn't even have a name, a backstory, an origin, a personality, a voice or a reason to be there and fight those creatures other than to enable the game to move forward, is considered one of the best characters of the generation?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Turambar

@hermes: I think I've already said twice now that ME is better in this department. It would probably be a good idea to actually read the posts. There's only 2 pages still.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By LikeaSsur

@turambar: Leaving it up to the player to make a character does not make a good character. Also, about Shepard's "meaningless" choices -- You might want to play through the series again. They do have weight to them. But that's another topic for another day.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Turambar

@likeassur said:

@turambar: Leaving it up to the player to make a character does not make a good character. Also, about Shepard's "meaningless" choices -- You might want to play through the series again. They do have weight to them. But that's another topic for another day.

1. Yes, I agree, to a point.

2. Show me any meaningful choice in ME and I'll explain how it's not.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys realize that these are BOTH generated characters, right?

Also, will the winners in each category duke it out for Overall Character of the Generation?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This poll is over! Commander Shepard is voted Generated Character of the Generation!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#87  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I've been through some real shit with both my Dark Souls and Mass Effect character, but I have to go with Shephard in the end.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm bummed that The Boss didn't make it to the finals and unfortunately I haven't played enough Dark Souls to really see where The Chosen Undead really pops as character. That said, I'm glad to vote for Shepard. Haven't played ME3, but I really enjoyed making him, playing as him, how he fit in the world and touches of personality they gave him (and the fact I had trouble trying to make gender neutral pronouns means, well a lot of things, but to me it means my Shepard felt like THE Shepard).