Genesis/Megadrive set aBLAZE

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Lashe

Screw Next Gen, in the year 2009 the Sega Megadrive/Genesis launches! Again!

[link]

I know this might be old news for some, but for those that don't know - the company BLAZE is re-releasing the Genesis along with a number of original games for the price of one of your new fangled Wiistation360 games that all the kids love.

Admittedly, I wasn't a fan of the console first time round (I was a SNES boy, and still am) but recently I have began to appreciate the console, and I might consider picking this up in April.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I prefer Generation Nex.

http://www.playmessiah.com/products/classics/generation-nex-videogame-console.htm

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Pepsiman

Lashe, I would personally avoid getting this rerelease of the Genesis, if I were you. I love that system to death and was tempted to get it as well when it came out overseas last year because of the region-free cartridge slot, but I've read  number of reviews stating that hardware leaves a lot to be desired. Even though it's officially endorsed by Sega, the hardware emulation is pretty problematic from my understanding, resulting in games having issues you wouldn't find if you played them on the original hardware. Not all generic Genesis consoles are like that, but I recall seeing that one in particular get a very cold reception from Play-Asia after its release last summer.

It's a tempting proposition, but you're probably better off just getting an actual Genesis off eBay. It might not be as economical due to the lack of built-in games, but the real Sega-manufactured system is a sturdy machine. I've had mine for almost thirteen years and the only problem I've ever really had with it was a sticky reset button. At its age, I can't really complain about that.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lashe
Pepsiman said:
"Lashe, I would personally avoid getting this rerelease of the Genesis, if I were you. I love that system to death and was tempted to get it as well when it came out overseas last year because of the region-free cartridge slot, but I've read  number of reviews stating that hardware leaves a lot to be desired. Even though it's officially endorsed by Sega, the hardware emulation is pretty problematic from my understanding, resulting in games having issues you wouldn't find if you played them on the original hardware. Not all generic Genesis consoles are like that, but I recall seeing that one in particular get a very cold reception from Play-Asia after its release last summer.It's a tempting proposition, but you're probably better off just getting an actual Genesis off eBay. It might not be as economical due to the lack of built-in games, but the real Sega-manufactured system is a sturdy machine. I've had mine for almost thirteen years and the only problem I've ever really had with it was a sticky reset button. At its age, I can't really complain about that."
Ahhh cheers for pointing that one out. I saw the Sega endorsement and immediately thought "result" but I'll make sure I'm a little more careful if I choose to purchase. I'm sure a decently maintained console isn't too bad on eBay. And there is always a quick jaunt into the attic of one of my friends houses and I'm sure I could swindle a really cheap one if I was that bothered -- a nice idea nonetheless though. The same company, BLAZE, have also in the past released hand held genesis consoles which also looked interesting but might also suffer the same problems - I'll do some research on their products.