• 102 results
#1 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

I feel like there's a lack of decent space sim games available recently. What genres do you think needs to have more games?

#2 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

X Rebirth is coming. Hold on!

#3 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

Survival Horror. And I mean real survival horror.

#4 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -
#5 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

dancing / fitness

#6 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

Dating sims.

#7 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

eff

pee

ess

#8 Posted by JordanK85 (140 posts) -

Turn-based strategy :( Although they're making a new X-Com so there's that at least.

#9 Posted by Stache (67 posts) -

Card games. Some times I just wanna open a blister pack and see what I get. I somehow find myself strangely addicted to ME3's multiplayer for this aspect alone.

#10 Posted by wemibelec90 (1631 posts) -

@Akeldama:

It seems like these games either don't work anymore or most people hate them. I personally would love some more true survival horror games; by this I mean limited supplies and truly terrifying enemies - two things I think can and should be achieved without having to limit player control like in the newer RE games.

#11 Posted by EchoEcho (823 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

Squad-based tactical shooters, but nobody is fucking support this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

I am really, really sad that isn't getting any attention. I am way more interested in this than I am in Wasteland 2 or the Double Fine adventure game (not to say I'm disinterested in those). I never use my Facebook account, but I liked the page just as an attempt to get the word out, because there are several people I know who are all about tactical shooters.

So yeah, you can count me as thinking this is another genre that needs a resurgence.

#12 Edited by JacDG (2120 posts) -

Platformers on the consoles, like, in the vain of the old Rayman, SLy, Jak, and Ratchet games. The HD colletions are going to be my next gaming purchases, but I would like to see some new stuff in that genre.

#13 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

@Akeldama:

It seems like these games either don't work anymore or most people hate them. I personally would love some more true survival horror games; by this I mean limited supplies and truly terrifying enemies - two things I think can and should be achieved without having to limit player control like in the newer RE games.

I suppose games like Amnesia are the last bastion of true horror

#14 Posted by ghostNPC (774 posts) -
@JacDG said:

Platformers on the consoles, like, in the wain of the old Rayman, SLy, Jak, and Ratchet games.

My thoughts exactly.
#15 Posted by mrmanga (219 posts) -

i want more dungeon based JRPGS like the Dark Cloud games. I would love a new Dark Cloud game or something similar to it.

#16 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Crpgs

#17 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

Survival Horror. And I mean real survival horror.

#18 Posted by Agikamike (55 posts) -

Not really a genre, but I want to see more games that actively change genre and force you to keep on your toes. Only game coming to mind is spore, which I admit I haven't yet played, where the game style apparently significantly changes based on progression. I don't mean abitrary turret or vehicle sequences, or two genres alternating in a hamfisted manner. I wouldn't mind seeing a game that's completely plotted out with diff genres depending on in game events or plot points. A game where you play act 1 as a student soldier taking an aptitude test would simply appear to be a puzzle game, for example. Then, war strikes. He's called into active duty. It's now an FPS for Act 2. The events of Act 2 culminate in you being recognized as a good leader able to think on your feet or someshit, and the game concludes as a TBS game with you leading a squad. No going back to earlier genres, once you enter a new story act it's a new game.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11857 posts) -

Action FPSs (Painkiller, Serious Sam, Hard Reset).

#20 Posted by Humanity (9063 posts) -

@RedCream said:

I feel like there's a lack of decent space sim games available recently. What genres do you think needs to have more games?

I think Dave nailed it in one of the Quick Looks where he said that those games stopped being popular because there just isn't much to them after a while. I loved the heck out of Freespace 2 but it really is just flying to nav points and then spending what feels like hours circling, trying to get a bead on those fighters.

I would be very interested to see someone take that genre and do something really creative with it. Maybe add some sort of weird space drifting mechanics or mix and match weightless and gravity affected environments to vary up the fighting?

#21 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Tabletop

#22 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Yeah, I agree the genre just needs creative vision to jumpstart it again. I think the Mass Effect universe can be translated into a space sim with great results. I can imagine customizing my Normandy and other great stuff. What I don't get is that why there aren't any urge for devs to create a game for such a genre. It's space man it's as open ended as it can get. Devs can go crazy bananas if they wanted to.

#23 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Dark Cloud 3.

It is its own genre, therefore it needs more.

#24 Posted by Puzzler20 (78 posts) -

Modern Era Real Time Strategy

Retal 2D Platformers

Retail 2D Shooters

#25 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

Cross genres. Rythym based horror, Fighting sims(overgrowth kinda...), Dating Shooters. RPG shooters are taken too commonly I think we should explore. Remember the cult audience that popped up around Mirror's Edge(First Person Platforming) despite how flawed it was? We need more cross genre games.

#26 Posted by Humanity (9063 posts) -

@RedCream said:

Yeah, I agree the genre just needs creative vision to jumpstart it again. I think the Mass Effect universe can be translated into a space sim with great results. I can imagine customizing my Normandy and other great stuff. What I don't get is that why there aren't any urge for devs to create a game for such a genre. It's space man it's as open ended as it can get. Devs can go crazy bananas if they wanted to.

It's money. I assume it's insanely difficult to pitch games as it is - much less when you're pitching the possibility of pouring 20-40 million dollars into a dead genre that no one has expressed any desire to play and is by large PC dominant. The potential for making a profit seems questionable at best.

Gone are the days of care-free creativity.

#27 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
We need more cosplay trivia games. What a great combination!
#28 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Yeah, in an alternate reality maybe... but come to think of it consoles can now be viable for space sims.

#29 Edited by seannao (226 posts) -

RE: Survival Horror

"Cry of Fear" came out. You need Half-Life 1 from STEAM to run it. Besides having to fulfill that requirement, it's cheap as free.

The game can be crashy at times, but the save system they use is generous enough.

http://www.cry-of-fear.com/

Swedish survival horror, first person perspective/shooter/melee

As for space sims, if you've never heard of Independence Wars, those are a couple good games to play. I still play Evochron Mercs off and on but the game doesn't have enough of its own narrative to keep me there as long as say.. uh.. Freelancer+mods had.

I guess the industry as a whole could use more challenging games and actually encourage people to play higher difficulties, like to see different endings or get better ratings which in turn, unlock new game modes. If it sounds like Resident Evil 1/2 to you, then yeah. haha. That sort of stuff.

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

Stealth games. Proper stealth games. Not these simple segments thrown into Shooters these days.

And Modern Military Real Time Strategy, I'm kinda surprised we don't see a lot of these games - considering the popularity the modern military style have gotten through FPS' today.

#31 Posted by BonOrbitz (2184 posts) -

Non-Japanese science fiction RPGs

#32 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I agree with stealth games, usually stealth segments in games are my favourite part.

#33 Edited by jakkblades (403 posts) -

Isometric computer rpgs. And Mount and Blade-style historical rpgs.

#34 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (964 posts) -

Space games and Survival Horror for me. Resident Evil is a piss-poor showing of what real, slow terror should feel like.

And also MECHS.

#35 Posted by TheSquarePear (168 posts) -

@RedCream:

1. space is usually empty and hard to navigate (what is up/down?)

2. noone can seem to get the controls right on a pad since there are usually too many functions compared to buttons

3. people generally don't like total freedom in games, see COD, Super Meat Boy and any shoot em up. You need some scoring system or other general metric to compare yourself to others.

#36 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I can tell you what we can do less with, shooters.

#37 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -
#38 Posted by VierasTalo (747 posts) -

The genre of being a sequel to Alpha Protocol.

#39 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

I would give my left nut for a fully backed, triple A space sim.

#40 Posted by weegieanawrench (1938 posts) -

Platformers. More games like Rayman please.

#41 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Someday I would like to see a non-Nintendo Kart racing game that`s every bit as good as Mario Kart. Playing Mario Kart over XBL would be a dream come true.

EDIT: That just reminded me that I want another Fusion Frenzy.

#42 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

@VierasTalo said:

The genre of being a sequel to Alpha Protocol.

A sequel would be great. The premise itself is really cool. Someone should build on that.

#43 Posted by Mousse_gallon (178 posts) -

I really enjoyed the 1st startrek armada rts I would love a new space ship based rts.

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11642 posts) -

Classical CRPGs. Wasteland 2 and the updated version of Baldur's Gate are a nice start, but I want to see some first person perspective in there, Wizardry style. But not in that Etrian Odyssey one-dungeon grindfest model. I mean like Wizardry 8.

#45 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

I'd really like to see an open-world zombie RPG. The combat could be hack'n slash.

#46 Edited by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Turn based JRPGs, the genre feels like it's dying on consoles, and unfortunately I don't do portables, thinking about Vita'ing though, would be my first portable.

#47 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

much like Dead Island?

#48 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@RedCream: Isn't Dead Island a first-person survival horror?

#49 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

I haven't played it yet but by the looks of it yeah you're right but it's also kind of open-world and has some RPG elements too.

#50 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@RedCream: Well in this case it's not what I mean. Prototype would be a better example, at least combat-wise. And third-person view is a must.