Genres you didn't enjoy, but can understand why others do.

• 69 results
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bhhawks78

Another thread made me think about this notion.  Please give reasons and not just blatant flame bait  "I hate super franchises x/y/z and don't know why anyone would!" type of shit.

"Character Action Games"  *God of War 3/Bayonetta/Devil May Cry series/Ninja Gaiden*

No Caption Provided
Honestly whenever I play these games I always end up on either, way too hard of a setting where I feel helpless, or way too easy where I feel like I'm just mashing buttons and nothing matters.  Doesn't help that I've never played one that doesn't have a cringeworthy story.  I also usually find the puzzles the same way, either push a block across the room stupid easy, or something completely hidden that I can't find it.

I do appreciate that these are often the best looking/animated games though, and I understand that on the harder settings it takes alot of practice/skill to get the job done.

Time to get flamed to hell.... PLATFORMERS
Both 3d/2d Mario/Klonoa/N64 Banjo/Ratchet-Clank/Sonic/Crash Bandicoot  
Strangely enough games like Uncharted 2 and it's climbing sections, and Assasin's Creed 2 were awesome to me.  I also LOVED Mario 64 at the time it came out, probably because it was the first 3d world I ever had explored and I had a massive boner for my N64.

No Caption Provided

Honestly don't know why I don't enjoy them, I just always get bored pretty quickly with them and have no idea why.

Games like mario though really made me appreciate how important simple good/consistent controls/level design is though.  I don't want to throw other games under the bus in this part but when I've played other games with things as simple as bad jumping mechanics I just get super turned off.

Fighting games!
Street Fighter series/3d Namco fighters/BlazBlue etc etc

No Caption Provided

This category is simple, I suck really really bad at 2d fighters (suck with only one really in 3d ones) and am horrible/don't enjoy using one character as a "main" and memorizing move sets etc.

What about you guys?  Bonus points for Bad/funny/sexy cosplay pictures.

Just realize when I changed my thread from Games you didn't enjoy I meant to put Genre's you don't enjoy so grammar nazi's I apologize in advance.  Is there a way to edit thread titles?
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar

Simulation racing is probably the only genre i outright don't like, but fully understand how a series like GT is good and loved.

blaze503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By blaze503

JRPGs, not so much the gameplay as the story, some people love japenese madness but frankly i don't and find it more annoying then charming

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

3D platformers.
RTS. 
Driving games. 
Sports games. 

Really... all genres I dislike. There isn't a genre I simply can't understand why people would like.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoLines

Racing games, and sports games.
Blehh.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Meowayne

I will not say "Racing and Sport" because not only do I not enjoy them, I also CANNOT understand how anyone does. 

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Cwaff

I'm not into the whole racing/sports genre. Unless its gimmicked up like kart racing with weapons, I love me some Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing! Also not a fan of minigame collections or party games.

GrahamMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By GrahamMaster

Sports games. They're sooooo boring and I honestly can't see what's so damn entertaining about damn stats. 

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Games I don't like are the ones that give me a headache during play.  I can understand
why some people can enjoy those because they don't get headaches from it. :)

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RedneckedCrake

Fighting games for me. There's a huge following of fans for games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, but I could never get into them. It's not that I couldn't get good at them if I tried, it's just that I don't want to. I can understand why people like them tho, especially since playing against friends and against other people online is probably pretty fierce competition.

jrbl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By jrbl1

I never understood the appeal of games like Myst.  Sure the graphics were the sheite back then but I could never get into those type games and I play almost every genre.   But if I learned one thing in my time here it is that everyone is very very different.  Also I never was into treasure hunting games.  It is all me.  I feel to much pressure to find everything but I haven't the patience so I usually walk away.  

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Emilio

1. Games that Pretend to be Movies (All games) 
2. Simulated Sports Games

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FacelessVixen

Fighting games, though... I don't know. I have a love/hate thing for the genre.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dalai
@blaze503 said:
" JRPGs, not so much the gameplay as the story, some people love japenese madness but frankly i don't and find it more annoying then charming "
My sentiments exactly. The only exception is the Persona series since it's a bit more contemporary and actually entertaining. The Final Fantasy model does not work for me at all. 

The RTS genre is another I can't really get either.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Siphillis

I'm biased against the sandbox genre, mostly because I feel it provides excuses for small developers to make sloppy assets with loose structuring.  There are some expert examples, to be sure, but I could never distance myself from this. 

Avatar image for deactivated-625769173e9f2
deactivated-625769173e9f2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not biased against any genre really. If the game is made well, regardless of the genre, I will enjoy it 9/10 times.  

FrogSox

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By davidwitten22

Non kart/crazy wrecking shit racing. Hell, I loved Burnout for a while then the terrible rubber-banding involve and the terribleness of me kind of killed the fun. I suck at fighting games, so those. 

But I love sports games. That's probably because I like actual sports though, so I do get excited by RBIs and what my WHIP is.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By sfighter21

FPS and wii games... Well, the first, I find the lack of inventiveness unappealing.  You have a gun, you see it from a "first person" perspective and you shoot stuff.  Not entertaining enough for me.  I enjoy story driven games a LOT.  I also LOVE me some street fighter!!  DUH!  lol.  Wii games...well, most of them are, as we know, minigame collections.  And I don't fly that way.  I need something that stimulates my brain, and "point at the screen and press the A button" doesn't cut it.  Also enjoyed the hell out of Oblivion and Fallout 3...

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Black_Raven

Sports and fighting games. I'm also not a huge fan of JRPGs, but I haven't had much experience with them.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's almost as if you want me to kill you. For my entry, I'll say Secret of Monkey Island, as it's the only one I can think of currently.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZenaxPure

Racing games, all of them from super realistic Forza to Mario Kart. 

I've enjoyed plenty of them in my time gaming but I've never felt that spark I know fans get when they play. For example I bought Mario Kart DS because all my friends were and online racing sounded cool. However, I played it for a while and while I was entertained I never really felt into it. I know some people really love it though but I have just never felt that connection.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rateoforange

Definitely adventure games. I know that these are enjoying a resurgence of late, but they still seem the same to me. I can never solve the puzzles, and when I finally consult a strategy guide I'm baffled at how I was expected to think of that. Although I was able to get through Myst and Riven (though not without help)--they seem more like puzzle games than adventure games.  I can see the appeal, though. I bet solving those puzzles makes you feel like a genius. I wouldn't know, I've never been able to; maybe I shouldn't have bought the telltale pack during steam holiday sale...

I would say CAGs but I can't wrap my head around what people enjoy about them.

Fighting games, for sure. I've tried to get into them (I got pretty good at playing Milla in Guilty Gear), but my heart ain't in it. I'd like to be able to enjoy them.

Most other genres I'm able to wring enjoyment out of on a semi-regular basis. Though my love of driving games occurs in two year cycles. I still have a G25 left over from the last one.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Post-Rock. I mean, how does something succeed rock? And fighting games.

KingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By KingGamer

First person shooters. I guess to some people like competitive multiplayer and stuff, but really it's shooting all day to me. I find winning a match in a shooting game not nearly as satisfying as beating someone in say... Street Fighter IV, which most of the people in this thread seem to dislike.

And Sports games. I don't have to explain this.

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mariek430

Sports games, Driving games, Fighting games, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, FPS games, and the MGS series.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By s10129107

MMORPGs 
cast fireball... cast fireball... drink potion... cast fireball... swing sword... swing sword... drink potion ... cast fireball........ not for me

ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZeroRegistry

I'm going with MMORPGs as well.  I sort of get that there is a social aspect to playing these games, but I can't ever get past the fact that most of them end up being grindfests.. or at least, the ones I've played.   

Also, sports games.  

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spence_5060

I just can't get into fighting games, especially 2D plane fighting games like the Street Fighter series and Capcom Vs. games. I understand how it can be fun, but I just can't get a hold of the controls and memorization that some players can invest into. I want to get into them but it's really the only genre than I am actually not good at in general.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Organicalistic_

FPS

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Skytylz

IDK, I can enjoy a quality game of any genre. 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By cornbredx

Do some genres no longer exist?Or is that a typo (=P im kidding)  

Uncharted 2 and Assasins Creed aren't Platformers. They're a 3rd person shooter and Action Stealth respectively.  

I dont really hate (dislike) any genre per say. I get bored the most with RTS's, tho. I think the only RTS I liked were the classic C&C games, Red Alert 2, Generals, and Warcraft 3 maybe a little (i never could play enough to pass it though). They bore me like no other usually. Only one I actually passed (both sides) was Red Alert 2.  

I think they bore me because they are basically simulated board games and I dont like board games. Just a guess though.  

I can kinda agree with fighting games in so much that I do like them, but my interest with them wanes fairly quickly these days. I played them alot in the arcades in the 90s though so cant particularly say I hate them- I think what I get bored with is playing them at home. Its not really the same.  

I can see the appeal of any genre, and I dont mind watching someone play any game, but I cant really get into RTS's and Fighting games aint what they used to be unless maybe you play it with pro players or something. Fighting games are always fun with friends. 

Meh, anyway, im done.. wall of text and im typing in the dark.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By dtat

fighting games. I really really want to like them, but I just can't. I'm terrible at them, and I don't understand how to get better.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@MysteriousBob said:
" 3D platformers.RTS. Driving games. Sports games.  Really... all genres I dislike. There isn't a genre I simply can't understand why people would like. "
add RPGs and thatd be ma ansa too !
SpecJoeMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpecJoeMagic

Fighting Games:
I realize that well-made fighting games involve a lot of skill, and I imagine that that's why so many people like them, but I cannot become immersed in a fighting game, which is crucial to my enjoyment of games.

Real-Time Strategy Games:
 The constant clicking and micromanaging drives me crazy.  I feel overwhelmed trying to keep up with everything.  I understand the appeal of controlling an entire organization, but I like mine to be turn-based.

JRPGs:
The general Japanese insanity of this genre doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.  Those that love that whole culture will obviously be drawn to it.  It makes sense.  The only one I've ever liked is Chrono Trigger.

Racing Sims:
  I'm not a car fanatic.  Racing a car around a track at high speeds is monotonous to me, and the car tweaking between races bores me.  I totally understand why car enthusiasts like this sort of thing. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Sport and rts games. I don't understand it that well.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dalai
@s10129107 said:
" MMORPGs cast fireball... cast fireball... drink potion... cast fireball... swing sword... swing sword... drink potion ... cast fireball........ not for me "
Oh yeah, forgot that one.
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By schizogony
I enjoy all genres of video games. 
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rhaknar

i find it funny people answering with "I hate this genre and I can't understand how anyone could like it" when its the exact OPPOSITE of what the TC asked >_>

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By Catolf

Going to say first person shooters.. I'm no good at them, but I see the following, games like Halo and MW has never been my cup of tea, I'll play, I won't be good at them, but I'd play a campaign to completion but i'd be done with it just like that.

Also, Racing games..ugh.. especially the ones with the whole pimp out your ride and race people.. i guess I just don't get it.

Sports games as well, everything else I don't mind though.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shadows_kill

the mini game games.. like carnival games etc. i see why someone would play it for like 10 mins but...... its nothing i would go back to.. 
some racing games. gt5, pure, motorstorm, modnation, mariokart, burnout, and split second. i understand but like... idk every other "sim" racer besides gt5 i just cant play.. 
fighters. blaz blue is alright. heck soul caliber i dont like either. for some reason the only fighters i like to play is: tekken 6 and ssb
last 2 maybe cause im just picky with that genre but w/e...

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EdIsCool

Japanese rape games.... :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5eedc15bc689f
deactivated-5eedc15bc689f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There are few genres I do not like, and even those I would say I do not like I have still played several games in them that I enjoyed. I guess the top two I would have to say I dislike the most are Sports and Tactics RPG, actually those are the only two. But I have enjoyed my fair share of NHL and Links/Tiger Woods games, and Final Fantasy Tactics is a favorite too.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dbz1995

Simulation racing games. I can see why someone would like a game like, say, GT5 Prologue (the graphics are great and it probably does really feel like actual racing), but damn do I feel clunky playing those games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

RTS games hold no interest to me, but I understand why others like them.

Fighting games hold a ton of interest for me, but I understand that I will never be able to dedicate myself to it enough to be even moderately good.

Five years ago I was tired of World War II shooters.  Now I'm tired of modern military shooters.  I don't mind shooting, I just don't want to be an army mans anymore.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By NathHaw
@Murtaug said:
" and Final Fantasy Tactics is a favorite too. "
I was about to hate your statement, but then you offered that caveat.  I understand and agree.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60

RTS

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47  Edited By StarFoxA

Pretty much all fighting games, mostly because i suck at them.

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By drowsap

I cant stand Open world games there just to big and the missions and side quests  get so repetitive and mundane so  fast  that it kills  the experience for me, but i see the appeal for others  

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#49  Edited By AgentJ

3D platformers. I want to love them, but It just always seems like they have one too many 'Ds.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#50  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I like almost all genres but I've never really liked super-realistic simulators, I find them very hard and even if I did master them I wouldn't find them enjoyable enough for all the practice to have been worth it. I also don't like most sports games but I'm not into sports anyway.