#1 Edited by wrecks (2198 posts) -
#2 Edited by JayEH (516 posts) -

Haha that picture makes me laugh every time.

#3 Posted by audioBusting (1465 posts) -

@wrecks: Thanks for the link... but I want to point out that the hyperlink leads to a Facebook redirect.

#4 Posted by wrecks (2198 posts) -
#5 Posted by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

It's interesting to listen to, save for the host, who is an obnoxious jackass.

#6 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I forgot Kevin Perreira started a Deathsquad podcast.

#7 Posted by Aegon (5377 posts) -

@punkxblaze: Wtf is Deathsquad and why does Pereira have a podcast there?

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -
@aegon said:

Deathsquad is a network of comedians and friends with podcasts and Pereira has a podcast on there because Joe Rogan told him he should and he took the advice.

#9 Posted by Aegon (5377 posts) -

@aegon said:

Deathsquad is a network of comedians and friends with podcasts and Pereira has a podcast on there because Joe Rogan told him he should and he took the advice.

Well ok then.

#10 Posted by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

i'll give it a listen

#11 Posted by ChosenOne (196 posts) -

Thanks. Keighley is a boss.

#12 Edited by Nodima (1058 posts) -

Welp. Being relatively new to the whole "not IGN64 or IGN PS2" side of games coverage, all I've ever really seen of Keighley is the Bonus Round, post-mortem game coverage from this year and the VGX. And I don't know who the host is. But as an avid fan of podcasts, I'll say that I am honestly amazed at how good of a talker Keighley is outside of the constraints his show formats place upon him. On Bonus Round he always seems like an android built to ask pay attention and ask simple questions, and while he finally seemed human on the VGX it was for a lot of subtle, unappealing reasons.

But this guy can get an interview way better than he gives it, man. I don't agree with him at all but he's a natural talker behind the camera. It's a shame he always seems askew of natural just so when he's in front of them. I feel like he's a guy I'd like to like, and this podcast confirmed that for me. Thanks for the link.

#13 Edited by Fattony12000 (6962 posts) -

Huh, that's kinda interesting actually.

If you wanna save an mp3 file when they usually just start autoplaying in Chrome, hit Ctrl+S.

The actual link without a shitty Facebook redirect thing: http://traffic.libsyn.com/deathsquadtv/kp42.mp3

#14 Edited by TheHT (10810 posts) -

Yeah Electric Playground! Loved that show. Geoff still looks the same to me, but I'm sure if I actually looked at old episodes with him it'd make me feel old.

#15 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Ha, if you didn't already know he was Canadian, then you certainly would after this interview.

#16 Posted by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

Gasp keighley is a person and has a soul.

#17 Posted by alanm26v5 (435 posts) -

This was highly entertaining and informative. Also I went back and listened to the previous podcast with Cliff Bleszinski and it was pretty decent too. I don't know how much Kevin Pereira I can stand at a time though but I might keep a lookout for interesting guests on this podcasts in the future.

#18 Edited by TheHT (10810 posts) -

That was great. Most interesting part for me was that line about how folks used to be so excited to see games covered and now there's some who are all 'bah, humbug' about it. I remember being a kid getting so excited whenever E3 or Spaceworld or whatever was on the news. I'd get a chance to talk about Metroid and Zelda and explain all the new stuff happening in video games to my family, and to be honest I'd also get a little validation that this stuff I liked wasn't just some toy I needed to eventually outgrow.

I don't remember how, why, or when the foolish parts of us all became the expectation, but it's sure disappointing.

#19 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Anyone wanna summarise it all?

#20 Edited by Chaser324 (6264 posts) -

I'm listening to it right now, and it's a pretty interesting interview but nothing earth-shattering.

Also, I updated the OP because what the hell was that sketchy looking Facebook redirect? I almost didn't bother clicking through it.

#21 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4518 posts) -

@zero_ said:

Anyone wanna summarise it all?

A lot of mocking and marginalizing gamers from Kevin Pantera while Keighley was more reserved and at least pretended to be diplomatic. Essentially it boils down to "this is how I do and that shit ain't gonna change" so nothing really worth mentioning.

#22 Posted by code3xbl (29 posts) -

Thanks for posting @wrecks.

Interesting interview, his discussion on the VGX and the concert was great and definitely makes sense for someone that has the opportunity to do the show.

I was baffled at what took place at the VGX and not as informed into into the inside story of every facet of Keighley, so this was good to hear some of his other work. Also Kevin Pereira making fun of him about doritos every 5 minutes and discussing that issue at the beginning was great.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@jayeh said:

Haha that picture makes me laugh every time.

Ditto.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Boo. Kevin is a goddamn sweetheart.

#25 Edited by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

@hailinel said:

"HERE LET ME CONSTANTLY INTERRUPT SO I CAN TALK REAL LOUD FOR YOU."

#26 Edited by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

Kevin works well played against other people who are as loud as he is. Geoff is too quiet and polite, and so Pereira comes off as a bit of a jackass (not that he's not). I did appreciate him trying to get Geoff to just come out and say the VGXs had some serious missteps in his own, abrasive fashion, but Geoff is diplomat to the end. It was nice to hear about Joel McHale wow-ing over games backstage, though. Too bad he didn't bring that secret enthusiasm to the actual broadcast.

#27 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Way more interested in hearing a podcast of McHale talking about his experience there. Geoff is too embedded in that Hollywood mindsight like "anyone you meet could be a future book/employer/opportunity so be everyone's friend" and its just not fun to hear.

#28 Posted by HatKing (5791 posts) -

@ryanwhom said:

Way more interested in hearing a podcast of McHale talking about his experience there. Geoff is too embedded in that Hollywood mindsight like "anyone you meet could be a future book/employer/opportunity so be everyone's friend" and its just not fun to hear.

That's exactly my problem with him nowadays. He wasn't always like that. He used to push really hard and ask poignant, tough questions. Maybe that's how he got where he is now. But it's hard to take any journalist seriously when you know for a fact they're in so many different people's pockets. He can't be aggressive anymore. He even has to tread carefully around being humorous as not to offend the wrong person. Which is why he was boring as shit during VGX.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel said:

That is just Kevin's style of comedy if you're remotely familiar with him from his G4 days you'd know that. I'm guessing you never paid much attention to Attack of the Show or G4 in general.

#30 Posted by Roboculus92 (477 posts) -

@hatking said:

@ryanwhom said:

That's exactly my problem with him nowadays. He wasn't always like that. He used to push really hard and ask poignant, tough questions. Maybe that's how he got where he is now. But it's hard to take any journalist seriously when you know for a fact they're in so many different people's pockets. He can't be aggressive anymore. He even has to tread carefully around being humorous as not to offend the wrong person. Which is why he was boring as shit during VGX.

Eh, I wouldn't really consider Geoff to be a journalist. Maybe back in the day but not anymore. Nowadays, he's more akin to someone like a Ryan Seacrest (which is why I didn't really have a problem with the Doritos/Mountain Dew thing since it's not like he's reviewing games).

#31 Posted by Spoonman671 (4528 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel said:

That is just Kevin's style of comedy if you're remotely familiar with him from his G4 days you'd know that. I'm guessing you never paid much attention to Attack of the Show or G4 in general.

Yeah, he was pretty obnoxious on G4, too.

#32 Edited by Willza92 (258 posts) -

Pointless? Sure...

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel said:

I like Kevin when he doesn't have to follow a script or be PG for the cameras and FCC. He sure did have some awful moments on G4 but Pointless has quickly become my 2nd most listened to podcast right behind the bombcast. Even if he can come off as grating at times Kevin knows how to keep a conversation flowing and try to pry interesting answers out of people

#34 Posted by ILikePopCans (745 posts) -

@hatking said:

@ryanwhom said:

Eh, I wouldn't really consider Geoff to be a journalist. Maybe back in the day but not anymore. Nowadays, he's more akin to someone like a Ryan Seacrest (which is why I didn't really have a problem with the Doritos/Mountain Dew thing since it's not like he's reviewing games).

I love how people like to speculate about people they don't know and how they get paid. It is hard to take you seriously when you say nonsensical things like Geoff being "in so many different people's pockets". Are the guys at Giant Bomb in peoples pockets because they have ads on the site?

#35 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2955 posts) -

Wonder if Keighley ever did take those layers off.

#36 Edited by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

@spoonman671 said:

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel said:

I like Kevin when he doesn't have to follow a script or be PG for the cameras and FCC. He sure did have some awful moments on G4 but Pointless has quickly become my 2nd most listened to podcast right behind the bombcast. Even if he can come off as grating at times Kevin knows how to keep a conversation flowing and try to pry interesting answers out of people

If that's his style of comedy, I don't find it particularly funny. And I didn't find him particularly good at prying answers out of Keighley since, it seemed like any time Keighley was about to expand on something interesting, Kevin cut him off with his loud abrasiveness to make another Doritos joke.

#37 Posted by HatKing (5791 posts) -

@ilikepopcans: There's a huge difference between having ads to support a show and actively being a spokesperson for those companies. Plus he's been ubiquitous in this industry for the past four or five years. He's worked for several different companies, hosted shows and events, run promotional bullshit. He's all over the place. Which would be fine, but you get the impression that he never wants to offend anybody, so he tip toes around anything that might (e.g.: wouldn't name which game he was looking forward, wouldn't name one game that had disappointed him).

@roboculus92: Yeah, I don't think he fits the bill anymore. But he still presses for information like he does. He's a host that doesn't quite have the hosting thing down.

#38 Posted by RazielCuts (2911 posts) -

So I could put up put with Pereira's butting in every-other-word 'personality' as he was actually (for the most part) asking some pretty to the point questions to Geoff on adverting and the whole 'Doritogate' and then he said...

'If you're mad at Mountain Dew, first of all, don't do a spit take of Code Red onto your screen while dusting the Dorito dust off of your chest' while in the next sentence saying 'Flesh light doesn't do TV, I wish they did, fantastic products' and I was like -

no more listening to you.

#39 Posted by Humanity (8722 posts) -

Normally I try to defend Keighley because I believe he really does care about the industry and people judge him unfairly.

In this case though, I was a little put off by how PR friendly all his answers were. I'm still sure he's a cool guy but man, you're on some God Knows What back ends of the internet podcast.. just be straight for 5 minutes Geoff. McHale was terrible - a show that could have been a fairly decent way of celebrating the industry was completely brought down by a host keenly intent on counteracting any sort of positive momentum. Yet we still get these answers of "he's not a core gamer but thats ok.." c'mon Geoff.