#1 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -
#2 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Dividing a community by class, even with something as insignificant as a garish medal, is undemocratic and wrong.  Who's with me?

#3 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

No and give everybody medals. Non subscribers get bronze, and the rest stay the same. I want to be special too.

#4 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -

It's a tiny icon on a website about video games...

#5 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

The medals really aren't doing anything, whether it be good or bad. Get over yourself.

#6 Posted by kortex (444 posts) -

But, but, but ... I like my medal.

#7 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

yeah wheres my bronze medal 

#8 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

I like them, but yea they dont do anything.

#9 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

I say no just because I'm getting one ASAP :P

#10 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

I haven't seen any subs acting entitled, but that could change.

#11 Edited by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

They seem a little intrusive in their implementation but maybe they're just something I need to get used too. At any rate I don't think a shiny graphical extra as part of the subscription service is a bad thing and I certainly think the community of Giant Bomb aren't stupid enough to let the subscription service cause any kind of social schism.

#12 Posted by Darknight630 (19 posts) -

Medal's are fine and dandy, it shouldn't divide anyone in the community. All it does is show who gave a donation to Whiskey Media, doesn't make (or at least shouldn't make) anyone more significant over another.

#13 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -

i like it

#14 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" The medals really aren't doing anything, whether it be good or bad. Get over yourself. "
get over myself?  I'm trying to help protect individual privacy and keep a community from being split into two categories: haves and have-nots.
#15 Posted by Rumour (95 posts) -

Have your say here...

#16 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

What would it say when you moused over the Bronze? 

Non-Supporter  
No0b0rAmA    doesn't help keep this site going, 
They didn't sign up for a paid membership and can go suck an egg. 

That just seems like a bad idea

#17 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
" No and give everybody medals. Non subscribers get bronze, and the rest stay the same. I want to be special too. "
I was going to vote yes, but this is actually a great idea.
#18 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

How about make a toggle? Whoever wants to show theirs, can do so.

#19 Posted by MichaelBach (884 posts) -

I like it :)

#20 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

Makes me feel like an important man on the internet.
#21 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

They're different that's for sure, but I say leave them alone. If people want to contribute subscribe or whatever, let it be shown. Change always fucks you up, but you get used to it. My words still matter, unless they're lost in a thread with a gazillion posts.

#22 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" What would it say when you moused over the Bronze? 

Non-Supporter  
No0b0rAmA    doesn't help keep this site going, They didn't sign up for a paid membership and can go suck an egg.  That just seems like a bad idea "
sounds like a good idea to me but then again I'm the kinda guy who prides himself in being known as a complete asshat leech.
#23 Posted by themangalist (1735 posts) -
@No0b0rAmA said:
" No and give everybody medals. Non subscribers get bronze, and the rest stay the same. I want to be special too. "
This.
#24 Posted by Torn (14 posts) -
@nickux said:
" It's a tiny icon on a website about video games... "
#25 Posted by Jeust (10654 posts) -

I don't like it, and see them as a way to splinter the community. 

#26 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

I have no problem with the medals, the mouse overs I find quite distracting as the forum links and avatars end up lining up. So, when I start scrolling down a page, those boxes blip up.
#27 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

See my blog post. The medals do and will ignite nothing but spite.

#28 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@darkdragonmage99 said:
" @Coombs said:

Non-Supporter  
No0b0rAmA    doesn't help keep this site going, They didn't sign up for a paid membership and can go suck an egg.  That just seems like a bad idea "
sounds like a good idea to me but then again I'm the kinda guy who prides himself in being known as a complete asshat leech. "
lol 

btw, Someone should quote this post, Just to piss off the mobile site users
#29 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Don't touch my medal. I'll kill you for it.

#30 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Keep em, but give EVERYONE a medal, but with random colors and logos to make it as garish and eclectic as possible

#31 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -

I'd say put it on the profile rather than the name in forums.  Hopefully the subscriber issue settles down enough because I am expecting a medal vs non subscriber war.  I like the medals though

#32 Posted by Luccaface (218 posts) -

I don't care that much, but, yeah, I wouldn't mind a redesign.  The current one feels a little ostentatious, and I wish it didn't obscure the bottom of everyone's avatar. 

#33 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" @darkdragonmage99 said:
" @Coombs said:

Non-Supporter  
sounds like a good idea to me but then again I'm the kinda guy who prides himself in being known as a complete asshat leech. "
lol 

btw, Someone should quote this post, Just to piss off the mobile site users "
you mean like this
#34 Posted by GunstarRed (5189 posts) -

I would really, really like an option to not have it shown at all.  its ugly as hell.
#35 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

The medals only matter when you start caring. 
I think this is a good opportunity for GB to unleash other "medals" or things under your avatar, for completing quests and such. that way no one will feel left out and they'll get more hits.

#36 Posted by yakov456 (1908 posts) -

I'm am most certainly not with you. And a big F you to the turds who are pasting medals onto their av's. Jerkoffs.

#37 Posted by Nes (222 posts) -

I don't think they should remove the indication that a member contributed to the site. The medals themselves look kinda ugly, though.

There's a black border around the avatars, can't they just change its color?

#38 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@darkdragonmage99 said:
" @Coombs said:
" @Coombs said:

Non-Supporter  
lol 

you mean like this "
Yes.
#39 Posted by Steve_C (1751 posts) -

Yes, though it's an aesthetic thing as much as anything. It's annoying seeing all these bright, oddly-shaped objects on the forum pages. They stand out too much. I like seeing people's individual avatars also, and it makes a lot of users seem similar at a glance with the medals on. The icon also increases the minimum post size, so there's more dead and unused screen space in threads. It's inefficient.

I'm fine with people having some insignia on their own profile page, but I wish the medals on the forums were optional at the very least.

#40 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

LET THE PROLETARIAT GROVEL. 

THEY WILL HAVE TO LEARN THEIR PLACE.

#41 Posted by electricfuzz9 (40 posts) -

True they don't do anything, but if they were taken away, yet another feature that was supposed to be for subscribers would be taken away. I dunno, it seems like they should just leave the medals the way they are.

#42 Posted by DarkShaper (1334 posts) -

I kinda wish we could toggle if they were on our avatars or just our profile.

#43 Posted by HatKing (5953 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" @Coombs said:
" @Coombs said:

Non-Supporter  
lol 

you mean like this "
Yes. "

Oh... I get a sick joy out of doing this. hahah
#44 Posted by Sil3n7 (1189 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" @Coombs said:
" @Coombs said:

Non-Supporter  
lol 

you mean like this "
Yes. "
Let me try.
#45 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -

The medals are one of those parts of the subscription service I'm actually 100% fine about. I don't have one myself, bit broke at the moment, but I think it's good seeing who the active supporters of the site are. They make me feel good for some reason, even though I'm not one of them.

#46 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

Photoshop it into your picture.

#47 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -
@Sil3n7: great contribution to the discussion, dude.
#48 Edited by Atomasist (2818 posts) -
@yakov456 said:

" I'm am most certainly not with you. And a big F you to the turds who are pasting medals onto their av's. Jerkoffs. "

You are a prime example of why the medals are a bad idea.  

As for the original question, the medals are one of the reasons why I will not subscribe. I do not want to look different from my fellow members. 
#49 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@nickux said:
" It's a tiny icon on a website about video games... "
#50 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

JOIN OR DIE!!