#1 Posted by StephConnolly14 (4 posts) -

Hi,

I've recently started playing the Xbox and am really beginning to see what what all the fuss is about! (highly addictive gaming but a perfect way to let off some steam and/or lose yourself after a day's work). I am a bit lost as to what I should be looking for in games, however. I've only ever grown up in a family or sisters so we never bothered with Playstation's or the Xbox, so my knowledge is limited to (e.g. Mario Kart on the Wii/ Mario on Nintendo).

I have started playing a few of my boyfriends games but i am obviously struggling considering i have no real background in gaming. I really enjoy combat games such as Mortal Combat and Tekken. I've also completed missions (up to 11 with some help) and combats on my boyfriend's DMC Devil May Cry but as I'm getting further into gaming, I've f come to the realisation that i am in great need of practice for these complicated games :/ Any suggestions about what might be easy to start off on? I like something challenging but it might be best to start off easily.

I'd love some suggestions for either Xbox 360 games or even PC (I am a Bejwelled Blitz fanatic but I want something more challenging!!).

#2 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

I hear Bayonetta is a great action game that can satisfy a wide range of difficulty levels.

You could also try Street Fighter if you like fighting games.

#3 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -

Saints Row the Third. Jump right in.

#4 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1561 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I hear Bayonetta is a great action game that can satisfy a wide range of difficulty levels.

Bayo is fantastic, but it might be a bit overwhelming if you aren't super used to character action games (like your Devil May Cry's and your God of War's). Asking what games you should play for a system as established as the 360 is kind of a hard question to answer because you're basically asking for a list that is hundreds of games long at this point. If I were you, I'd look at some Game of the Year lists from the last few years, maybe look at some review sites and find their top reviewed games for the 360. That's a good starting point.

It'd help if we knew what kind of games you love to play.

#5 Posted by onyxghost (305 posts) -

Me and my wife played through Portal 2 co op. I'd recommend it for a couple to sit and play together. Might also pull up the FAQ on your phone for when you both get frustrated. The game is great for new players in the first person space. My wife wanted to play Gears and Halo with me, but couldn't handle the controls. Portal lets you get used to how most modern games play without putting a lot of demand on you as a player. You can really learn to walk with it. Plus it's fairly cheap at this point.

#6 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

HALOS

#7 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Bayo is fantastic, but it might be a bit overwhelming if you aren't super used to character action games (like your Devil May Cry's and your God of War's). Asking what games you should play for a system as established as the 360 is kind of a hard question to answer because you're basically asking for a list that is hundreds of games long at this point. If I were you, I'd look at some Game of the Year lists from the last few years, maybe look at some review sites and find their top reviewed games for the 360. That's a good starting point.

It'd help if we knew what kind of games you love to play.

Well, jumping head first into "core" gaming is a bit overwhelming in the first place, let alone one of the genres that's often considered one of the most demanding. I suggested Bayonetta because, while I've never played it, I've heard about how it rewards those who are great at the game without completely blocking out those who are just barely competent at it.

Darksiders, though, is probably a good game to look into for a more simple character action type game. Some depth, but nowhere near the level of a DMC game.

Portal 2, Saints Row the Third, Halo 3 (a blind person could play this on Easy), and Skyrim are all good places to start looking into core gaming. All of them have some depth but aren't incredibly difficult to grasp as long as you can move in a 3D space.

#8 Posted by Veektarius (4749 posts) -

The entire Gears franchise is on 360, right? That's a decent time.

#9 Posted by RupertTheBear (184 posts) -

Dishonored, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and Hitman series might be fun and challenging games to start.

These games give you many options on how you want to approach these game such as giving you the option to go gun blazing / murder spree or go through a stealthy approach with the possibility of not kill anyone except for your main target. Going stealthy is quite challenging and feels somewhat rewarding know you passed a mission without the enemies knowing what hit them.

There's also Batman: Arkham series that has basic combat, stealth, free roaming environment and puzzles to solve

All these games are on pc and 360 as well.

#10 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

PLAY THE GEARESES