#1 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

Hey all -

I get a lot of PMs about using our protected RSS feeds on various devices that don't support iTunes. If you're using an Android, WP7, Palm, Blackberry or other device can you please help your fellow bombers out by letting them know the best methods and apps you use to download our video.

Please keep your suggestions to apps or methods and not sites that essentially de-authenticate the feeds themselves. Once I see some options for each device I'll do some documentation in the premium members hub.

#2 Posted by Swoxx (2992 posts) -

I like this idea, I personally don't use the feeds at all, but here's to hoping it helps some folks out

#3 Edited by sully (69 posts) -

I'm using the RSS feeds with my XBMC add-on; I pass the username and password to authenticate in-line. For instance, to get the Giant Bomb "All Videos" feed at high quality:

https://${USERNAME}:${PASSWORD}@auth.whiskeymedia.com/login/basic-auth/?from_site=giant-bomb&next=/videos/feed/high/

Replace ${USERNAME} and ${PASSWORD} with your Giant Bomb username and password (as opposed to your Whiskey Media username, in case it's different).

Here's the full list of XML feeds that can be used:

https://github.com/yllus/Whiskey-Media-Videos-On-XBMC/blob/release/sites.xml

#4 Posted by Swoxx (2992 posts) -

@sully said:

I'm using the RSS feeds with my XBMC add-on; I pass the username and password to authenticate in-line. For instance, to get the Giant Bomb "All Videos" feed at high quality:

https://${USERNAME}:${PASSWORD}@auth.whiskeymedia.com/login/basic-auth/?from_site=giant-bomb&next=/videos/feed/high/

Replace ${USERNAME} and ${PASSWORD} with your Giant Bomb username and password (as opposed to your Whiskey Media username, in case it's different).

Just out of curiosity, why not just use the GB app for XBMC? Any difference?

#5 Posted by sully (69 posts) -

@Swoxx: It's in how I browse content, I suppose. When I get home from the office, the girlfriend and I browse/watch content from Giant Bomb, Screened and Tested one right after another. To open a different app to reach content from each separate site is one added step that I avoid doing by sticking with the aforementioned Whiskey Media app.

#6 Posted by Swoxx (2992 posts) -

@sully said:

@Swoxx: It's in how I browse content, I suppose. When I get home from the office, the girlfriend and I browse/watch content from Giant Bomb, Screened and Tested one right after another. To open a different app to reach content from each separate site is one added step that I avoid doing by sticking with the aforementioned Whiskey Media app.

Oh okay, that makes sense.

#7 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

I'm kind of a total derp when it comes to these things, setting up RSS feeds, sharing from my laptop across the network to my PS3, etc.

What's the best way to go about using the zune software since I have a WP7 (but any software will work) to auto download videos and have them show up on my PS3 to play in the living room?

I'm not really interested in getting them on a mobile device. I don't watch videos on the go much at all.

#8 Posted by sully (69 posts) -

@SpudBug said:

I'm kind of a total derp when it comes to these things, setting up RSS feeds, sharing from my laptop across the network to my PS3, etc.

What's the best way to go about using the zune software since I have a WP7 (but any software will work) to auto download videos and have them show up on my PS3 to play in the living room?

I'm not really interested in getting them on a mobile device. I don't watch videos on the go much at all.

Should be fairly straightforward:

1. The Zune software should let you specify a directory to download podcasts into. Specify a directory on your PC and remember the path to it.

2. Next, you'll need to turn on UPNP media sharing so your PS3 can access the files on your PC. Windows Media Player has a UPNP server built into it - follow the instructions here for Windows 7 to get that set up, and of course add the directory you made note of above to the list of folders to serve.

3. Assuming your PS3 is on the same local network, it should automatically find the UPNP server and be able to see the videos you downloaded from Giant Bomb in it.

#9 Posted by cximran (52 posts) -

Doggcatcher on Android has passworded feed support built in, you can use that to grab videos well.

Alternatively, you can use this (not very) sweet yahoo pipe I put together http://pipes.yahoo.com/cximran/gbpipe

#10 Posted by brian_mcdoogle (4 posts) -

@sully: Tried using Sully's method, but I can't add a feed into Google Reader (which can't do RSS feeds with authorization at all). Google Reader won't "find" the url, so it won't add it to my list of feeds.

Also, I can't use Instacast on the iPhone/iPad to view videos because the authorization on it continues to fail.

#11 Posted by dualwunderworld (8 posts) -

Anyone using beyondpod on android? It has the option for protected feeds, but despite putting in the correct info I keep getting error msgs. Same for other android rss Feeds as well.

Also, if I was to get protected rss feeds to work, could I download mobile vids to watch when streaming is not an option?

#12 Posted by Dr_Gnomage (16 posts) -

Im using gPodder (g stands for gnome i believe not googles because it was originally made for ubuntu) and it works fine with authentication etc and auto downloads and auto deletes after youv watched it if you wish. the neat/bad thing about the application is it doesnt install to pc it just sits in its own folder so you can put it on an external if you wish and run it from any pc but then you have to go into the folder to open it or the videos which are downloaded inside the same folder.

i would really like this working on Zune as i want the mobile feed for my WP7 and the hd for watching the content on the bigger screen. but it just doesnt work properly, ill type in my email n password but it just doesnt download anything or show that anything can be downloaded. i believe that zune supports video podcasts because there is an option for video podcasts in my WP7 but i cant figure out how to get it downloading. any ideas guys?

#13 Posted by Gnubberen (765 posts) -

Anyone found a way to get feed working on PS3 Media Server?

#14 Posted by brian_mcdoogle (4 posts) -

Just a thought to the engineers, but because of these authentication issues, what would be the problem of having unique feeds for people who request them? I know on some other sites, instead of having you use authentication to get into a subscriber feed, they have a unique feed that is supposed to be used by just that user, and they just monitor the usage of that feed to check against people handing it out and abusing it.

#15 Posted by NHLmaniac (112 posts) -

@FlemmingM: I use itunes to download the videos, then just point PS3 media server to your itunes podcast folder.

#16 Posted by Gnubberen (765 posts) -

@NHLmaniac: Was thinking of a more direct way, where I don't have to pre-download what I want to watch.

#17 Posted by brian_mcdoogle (4 posts) -

Any word on a Google Reader workaround? Still can't subscribe doing this method: https://${USERNAME}:${PASSWORD}@auth.whiskeymedia.com/login/basic-auth/?from_site=giant-bomb&next=/videos/feed/high/

#18 Posted by drewdock (11 posts) -

Anyone know of an app that can handle this directly on the iPhone? Podcaster supposedly supports protected feeds, but always fails when I try to add the GB feed.

#19 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

I've been using gPodder but in the last week or so it's stopped naming the video files appropriately and just names everything "foo" so i have like, foo, foo(1), foo(2), etc.

What the fuck?

#20 Posted by brian_mcdoogle (4 posts) -

@drewdock said:

Anyone know of an app that can handle this directly on the iPhone? Podcaster supposedly supports protected feeds, but always fails when I try to add the GB feed.

Instacast supposedly works on protected feeds, but, again, it doesn't work for the Giantbomb feeds, nor the suggested solutions above.

#21 Edited by TheMasterDS (2048 posts) -

Not having any luck adapting the https://${USERNAME}:${PASSWORD}@auth.whiskeymedia.com/login/basic-auth/?from_site=giant-bomb&next=/videos/feed/high/ method to Radio Show for Zune Software, however I'm going to try getting software that downloads podcasts to a folder. Maybe with any luck Zune Software will recognize it as a podcast if it's downloaded by gPodder or something...

Edit: gPodder did very little help, was hard to set up, and reminded me the main issue isn't that I can't download it at all (I most certainly can) but that Zune Software won't recognize an MP3 as a Podcast unless it recognizes the podcast. Instead it'll recognize it as a song, which has implications. On a Zune HD for instance you can resume from where you left off on a podcast. You can also jump around instead of restarting or skipping to next on a podcast, which you can't do with a song. Also podcasts are organized.

#22 Edited by TheMasterDS (2048 posts) -

I figured out how to make the Whiskey Media Radio Show work with Zune Software. All you have to do is access the RSS page while not logged into Giant Bomb. The page, not knowing if you're legit, will prompt you to log in, and which point you log in with your email (if it doesn't work it may need to be all lower case) and password, and you'll find yourself looking at the RSS page with one crucial difference: The URL will go something like this: "http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/1/?token=[Random stuff]" and that URL will work in Zune Software.

I don't know what other RSS readers this works with, or if this'll work with the video feeds, but I'd guess odds are good.

Edit: Hmm... I think the tokens expire so it's not suitable for long term use... So Video feeds are out then... but... maybe... Since it's got the data for the podcast now... It can recognize if an MP3 file belongs to it... and sort it correctly... Well I guess I'll find out next premium podcast.

#23 Posted by ds8k (412 posts) -

@TheMasterDS: All you need to do is go into the ID3 tags and change the genre to Podcast for Zune to recognize it properly. Irritating, but it works.

I'm having an issue with the radio show. I just used the above method to get Zune to recognize the Podcast, but if the token does expire it's a little less than ideal.

#24 Posted by TheMasterDS (2048 posts) -

@ds8k: Yeah, it's not the best. If anyone has a better work around that's working that's be lovely.

#25 Posted by sirchode (62 posts) -
#26 Edited by Trav (241 posts) -

I'm using the token workaround for the Zune software currently (hopefully there will be a better solution soon!), and noticed that it sets all GB content podcast thumbnails to the same old "rainbow cast" image. This is really confusing when paired with the Zune's interface, as you can't tell whether you're selecting the Radio Show, GBcast, or other GB content on the Zune's home screen. Anyone happen to know how to change those thumbnails manually?

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that the token expires too quickly for me to download any HD content at all, which is a major bummer.

#27 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -
#28 Posted by fredpd (7 posts) -

I've been using DownCast for iOS for a couple of weeks, and it works fine. It has user and password support, and that has worked for me.

#29 Posted by theodacourt (525 posts) -
#30 Posted by MarkOnFire (64 posts) -

@brian_mcdoogle said:

@drewdock said:

Instacast supposedly works on protected feeds, but, again, it doesn't work for the Giantbomb feeds, nor the suggested solutions above.

I'm having the same issues with all protected Whiskey Media RSS feeds in Instacast, including the Whiskey Media Radio Show. I'm prompted for my username/password, but none of my premium subscriber info gets me access :(

Any idea what the problem might be? Is it an issue with the site, or the app? It would be nice to get at least the radio show through Instacast, since that's where all my other podcasts end up.

#31 Posted by MarkOnFire (64 posts) -

Okay, found this solution via (can't see his post on this thread yet since it's still pending moderation, but I've tested it out and it works).

URL:https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/login/basic-auth/?from_site=giant-bomb&next=%2Fpodcast-xml%2F1%2FI

This example will sign you up for the Whiskey Media Radio Show.

For other feeds, break up the address of premium RSS feeds as follows:

from_site=giant-bomb, tested (haven't tested the other whiskey sites)

&next=each folder level of the domain, with a %2F to indicate backslashes

For instance, tested.com/videos/feed/hd/ becomes

https://auth.whiskeymedia.com/login/basic-auth/?from_site=tested&next=%2Fvideos%2Ffeed%2Fhd

Apologies if this is elementary to the more code-literate folks out there, but I thought directions might be helpful to the iOS-toting Tier-2 nerds out there like me.

#32 Posted by Frenden (37 posts) -

Sorry for the necro-bump, but I'm having trouble finding an equivalent url to use after the site relaunch. The examples in this thread don't seem to be valid any longer.

I'm trying to use a URL with user and pass in it to pipe into Pocket Casts as that's the only way the app supports password protected feeds.

#33 Posted by Frenden (37 posts) -

Bump. I've tried searching to no avail. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

#34 Posted by fetchfox (1260 posts) -

I don't know if this will help you @frenden, but I just navigated to the rss feed via my phone browser, opened it with my podcast program (BeyondPod on Android) and added it. The trick was that in process of adding the feed I had the option of filling in my password and username (among others). I used my GB account, and it worked like a charm.

#35 Edited by Frenden (37 posts) -

I'm pretty tied to Pocket Casts, but would purchase Beyond Pod separately for premium feeds if I had to. Thanks, @fetchfox.

Does anyone know of a current way to embed the user/pass into the feed URL like the OP did before the site switch?

#36 Posted by fetchfox (1260 posts) -

@frenden: No pro mate, and I think I found a solution. Worked in Beyond Pod, try it in your app.

http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@auth.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

And tell me if it worked or not!

#37 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

@frenden: No pro mate, and I think I found a solution. Worked in Beyond Pod, try it in your app.

http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@auth.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

And tell me if it worked or not!

I can confirm that this works in Pocket Casts.

I came in here because I knew people had posted how to pass through the user/pass previously for video RSS feeds and was going to adapt it to the podcast feed. Thanks for saving me a couple of minutes by giving me the exact URL.

#38 Posted by Frenden (37 posts) -

@louiedog: @fetchfox: Thanks, guys. I got that working with the premium podcast feed URL in Pocket Casts!

When attempting to use the same format for individual video feeds, I get invalid podcast URL errors. Is this example formatting correct or am I doing something wrong?

http://USER:PASS@auth.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/high/10/

#39 Edited by Fuchal (3 posts) -

@frenden said:

@louiedog: @fetchfox: Thanks, guys. I got that working with the premium podcast feed URL in Pocket Casts!

When attempting to use the same format for individual video feeds, I get invalid podcast URL errors. Is this example formatting correct or am I doing something wrong?

http://USER:PASS@auth.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/high/10/

Hi there,

Were you able to get this working in Pocket Casts in the end? I want to subscribe to the Quicklook videos, so would love to know if this is possible.

#40 Edited by mandonBlawser (1 posts) -

Just in case others were still looking to be able to do this, I was able to get individual video feeds to work within Pocket Casts using the format below.

Note the change from auth.giantbomb.com to www.giantbomb.com

http://USER:PASS@www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/high/10/

#41 Posted by ThisIsAdam (2 posts) -

Thanks mandonBlawser. Your update really helped me out.

#42 Edited by Atto (25 posts) -

This link worked for me to get the premium podcast into Pocketcasts.

http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Just like what was said above replace 'USERNAME' and 'PASSWORD' with your own username and password.Then go to add podcast and click search then paste the whole url into the search bar.

Thanks to the guys who figured this out earlier.

#43 Posted by chubbs21 (45 posts) -

@atto: thanks a lot. Finally get to catch up on the episodes of alt+f1 now.

#44 Posted by Hardtarget (243 posts) -

@atto said:

This link worked for me to get the premium podcast into Pocketcasts.

http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Just like what was said above replace 'USERNAME' and 'PASSWORD' with your own username and password.Then go to add podcast and click search then paste the whole url into the search bar.

Thanks to the guys who figured this out earlier.

woo worked great for pocket casts just now :D

#45 Posted by Frescomannen (2 posts) -

Hi, long time listener - first time commenter and so on and so on...

I've been trying to get the premium podcast-feed to work with Beyond Pod, but the same issue occurs even if I
* Use the RSS-link and enter my username&password in Beyond Pod
* Use the https://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/ (with my username and password ofc) solution

I get an "Feed URL Problem"-error saying "Unable to connect to the feed's web site. The feed address may be invalid or the web site may have temporary connectivity issues - which I
think is just Beyond Pods way of saying "oh, you did that wrong didn't you. Silly user ..."

Has anyone got premium podcasts to work with Beyond Pod?

#46 Edited by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -

@frescomannen: Enter http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/ in for the feed URL/

Tthen go down to advance settings and enter your username and password under "Feed Authentication"

#47 Posted by Frescomannen (2 posts) -

@kaiserreich Yeah, I tried that but must have been sloppy when entering my user-details :P Now it works though, thanks for the help!