• 63 results
Posted by Fobwashed (2130 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Giant Bomb and Ads. What do you/would you do? (354 votes)

Premium user. I have no ads and am happy. 66%
(Premium) I would turn on all ads if possible. 1%
(Premium) I would turn on only video ads if possible. 0%
(Premium) I would turn on only page ads if possible. 5%
I view the website as provided to me. 6%
I use an ad-blocker but whitelist Giant Bomb. 5%
I use an ad-blocker. 18%

I read an article on the Penny-Arcade Report the other day titled "Ad-blockers, the games press, and why sexy cosplay galleries lead to better reporting" . There's a lot of good content but the main take away I got from it was that my annual membership here is worth roughly 15,000 page views in ad revenue (less if you consider the free shirt) and everyone uses ad-blockers now.

The reason I pay for an annual subscription to Giant Bomb isn't about the premium content (which I definitely enjoy) or getting the website without ads. It's mainly to support these weirdos and allow them to keep on doin the ridiculous stuff they're doing to entertain and keep me informed. I feel that this is a common line of thinking among subscribers.

Reading that article, it's pretty crazy how little money these sites get for ads and the amount of people who use ad-blockers. I didn't know they existed and were easy to install until just recently and now I run them on all my browsers. I do however, whitelist all the sites that I visit frequently and enjoy. The main reason I have it installed is because more often than not, when I follow a link to a random site that's being talked about due to this controversy or that, it ends up being one of those types of articles that just says shit to get traffic and the content is abysmal. I hate giving them traffic sooooo. . . ad-blocker.

That being said. If I were given the option to turn ads on as a premium member, I'd do it. Unless an ad plays sounds and takes over my browser or some other crazy shit, I don't mind them at all. Some are even interesting to look at in the same way some TV commercials are worth watching. Give me an option, and I'll flick the switch. How bout ya'lls?

#51 Edited by Nictel (2429 posts) -

I don't mind ads as long as they don't stand between me and the content. Unfortunately they often do, some even start playing audio if you move over them by accident. Those ads that scroll over and get bigger are probably the worst. I am happy to support Giant Bomb with a premium but I wouldn't say the same for any other site. I understand they need to make money but I really can't think of a system that works. Maybe better ads? That don't hurt your eyes or annoy you?

People are also way too sensitive about ads, if it's that painful to you to see an ad for something you don't care about then I feel real sorry for you, going out in public must be hell.

That's the thing, I can walk passed a poster. I don't need to listen to a 10 second message every time I try and enter a building.

#52 Posted by Abendlaender (2845 posts) -

I'm a premium user but I would white-list GiantBomb if I weren't.

#53 Edited by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

I'm premium and there are no ads I would want to see.

#54 Posted by SmilingPig (1340 posts) -

I am to cheap to pay (or rather to poor right now) so I tolerate ads until I get my finances back in order or until I stumble on a duffle bag full of cash.

#55 Posted by Driam (163 posts) -

I am a premium user who is annoyed that the "Latest stories" list a lot of the time is just a bunch of fucking ads.

#56 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Ad-blocker

#57 Edited by Fobwashed (2130 posts) -

@driam said:

I am a premium user who is annoyed that the "Latest stories" list a lot of the time is just a bunch of fucking ads.

What're you talking about? You mean that they're trailers and such?

#58 Edited by joey (985 posts) -

I stopped using adblock because Justin McElroy guilted me out of it through twitter.

Damn you Justin McElroy!

#59 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

@nictel said:

People are also way too sensitive about ads, if it's that painful to you to see an ad for something you don't care about then I feel real sorry for you, going out in public must be hell.

That's the thing, I can walk passed a poster. I don't need to listen to a 10 second message every time I try and enter a building.

Guys, I just had a fantastic idea involving revolving doors with build in LCD's!

#60 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2264 posts) -

Premium user and I run adblocker regardless as I'm sick of seeing ads before a youtube video starts, sometimes ads would even screw up gamespot videos that prevent me from watching.

#61 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i use an adblocker, i get enough ads in everyday life, i dont need more when browsing the internet. it makes my life easier and more enjoyable at no cost to me. so why WOULDN'T i do it?

and i would buy a premium membership if any of the premuim features were regular and interesting enough. they seem very few and far between and 80% of them i have no interest in. patrick by himself playing horror games? yeah...no thanks.

#62 Edited by Nictel (2429 posts) -

@nictel said:

Guys, I just had a fantastic idea involving revolving doors with build in LCD's!

That would be so cruel!

#63 Posted by Krullban (1051 posts) -

@nictel said:

@jacksukeru said:

@nictel said:

That would be so cruel!

Spin in circles until the ad is finished playing.