Giant Bomb API Powered Game Release Calendar

Avatar image for deactivated-64c94f41541d2
deactivated-64c94f41541d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For many years I searched in vain to find a well maintained Google calendar that I could integrate with my other Google calendars to, at a glance, know where I had to allocate money in the coming weeks and months. Thankfully in recent weeks I discovered the Giant Bomb API which provides a wealth of data about games, past and present, images, reviews, and of course release dates.

With a small amount of work on my own part I was able to write an application to consume the release data that the Giant Bomb API provides and populate a Google calendar with that data. It covers all the game release data they have for all platforms and all regions. Entries are collapsed on a per game / per day basis so that if you have a game coming out on a particular game on a particular day there is only one entry for it, rather than say 15 because it came out on 5 platforms in 3 regions.

The application is run every couple of days to keep the calendar up to date, though an automated process may be added so there is zero work on my part and it all happens, as Apple would say, magically. I may also try to add some color coding for platforms / regions and would love some feedback from other people if you have some good suggestions about how the calendar could be made more usable. Currently games that are released are removed from the calendar within a couple of days from release. This is something I am considering changing since it can be nice to see what came out in the last couple of weeks.

Please feel free to use this and I hope it is as useful to you as it has been to me!

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=1iiiid4e35autcukkei4f4kgf4%40group.calendar.google.com