• 56 results
#1 Edited by jakeyjake (17 posts) -

Hi guys -- longtime member but never really had the urge to post. I was reading Patrick's recent article about interactive fiction and remembered a desire to learn more about Inform7.

I decided to make my first project a high-flying adventure with the Giant Bomb Flight Club, featuring Vinny, Drew, Dave and a rapidly decending A-10 Warthog.

Try it out here:

http://iplayif.com/?story=https%3A//dl.dropbox.com/s/dqnmxlry48vy97o/Giant%2520Bomb%2520Flight%2520Club.zblorb

If you have any feedback, feel free to send along. If you'd like to see the source and maybe add to it, I'm happy to pass it along.

EDIT -- cooking up a new version with a "help" menu and more, should be available in the next few days. Thanks to everyone who has tried out the first version!

#2 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

Your link scares me.

#3 Edited by jakeyjake (17 posts) -

zblorb is the format used for Inform7 text adventure output. I can understand the link being scary, but it's not a download -- it plays in the browser.

Read more about the format here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blorb

Apologies if that keeps anyone away from playing -- I don't have a better method of serving it (but open to suggestions).

#4 Edited by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

i tried killing Dave but it didn't let me, so this game gets a pass. i'ma mess around with it a little, but neat idea! i'll check back in when i'm done

edit: i'm kinda stuck, but y'all should try ejecting. it's pretty awesome

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (18890 posts) -

This is pretty neat. Trying it right now.

#6 Posted by Xeirus (1292 posts) -

@jakeyjake: It's fun, but it reminds me why I hate text adventures.

#7 Posted by Irvandus (2777 posts) -

Cool but I"m bad at text adventures

#8 Posted by jakeyjake (17 posts) -

@AjayRaz: It's funny how tunnel-vision affects you when you make this kind of game -- killing these guys (at least, not in a plane crash) never occurred to me. Back to the code!

#9 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -

@jakeyjake said:

@AjayRaz: It's funny how tunnel-vision affects you when you make this kind of game -- killing these guys (at least, not in a plane crash) never occurred to me. Back to the code!

I messed around for a while, got the radio messed up, and then tried to punch Dave and take the wheel. About to give it another shot.

#10 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -
>apply flaps
That's not a verb I recognise.

...well this game is broken.

#11 Posted by RedRocketWestie (381 posts) -

I gave Dave the HOTAS and now he won't give it back! Argh!

#12 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -

Pretty neat, although I tried a bunch of verbs for the eject switch before I realized you have to type "eject" only.

#13 Posted by jakeyjake (17 posts) -

@Sin4profit: Flaps! Damn, I missed including those. New version coming soon.

#14 Posted by DEFE (226 posts) -

I did it! Goodness, all of Vinny's talk about the fuel mixture threw me off. That was pretty funny. Good job!

#15 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

This was my attempt. I think it went pretty poorly. I suck at text adventures. It is like 15+ years since I've played one:

#16 Posted by chilibean_3 (1611 posts) -

Pretty cool thing to put together, duder. I played with it a bit but I'll have to mess around with it when I have more time later.

#17 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I'm lost...

#18 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

For its basic functionality, it's pretty amusing. It may need a little bit more work, though.

Better textures, perhaps.

#19 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Well I crashed. The game was awesome though, nice job.

#20 Posted by drewbert (2183 posts) -

Awesome! This is just the kind of ridiculous I can get behind.

Staff
#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

Your link scares me.

If you click it, you will likely be eaten by a grue.

#22 Posted by TheFakePsychic (186 posts) -

YEAH! I survived!

It took glancing at the log MattyFTM posted to realize I could talk to Vinny/Drew/Dave, but then I figured it out! That was really clever, A+.

#23 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

i was eaten by a grue :(

#24 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

i was eaten by a grue :(

search the house for the lamp, always the first thing you need to do.

#25 Posted by MyaSharona (66 posts) -

Boy Drew, Vinny, and Dave are pretty uncooperative people. Remind me never to fly with them. =p

Also: great idea.very cool!

#26 Posted by jakeyjake (17 posts) -

@drewbert: Thanks for checking it out! Lots of great feedback in the thread -- I'm going to take another stab at it (adding a list of verbs per

#27 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Help should be a typable command.

#28 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@jakeyjake said:

@drewbert: Thanks for checking it out! Lots of great feedback in the thread -- I'm going to take another stab at it (adding a list of verbs per

XYZZY

#29 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

@jakeyjake said:

Don't take my comment about the lack of a help command personally. That was just me melodramatically dicking about in a text adventure. A help command would be useful, though.

#30 Posted by cooljammer00 (1497 posts) -

Yeah, not having a help list is pretty bad.

Not to mention you can't tell Vinny not to buy a racing wheel.

#31 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@cooljammer00 said:

Yeah, not having a help list is pretty bad.

Not to mention you can't tell Vinny not to buy a racing wheel.

Planetfall never had a help list. infact it told you to buy the guide if you used help.

#32 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11422 posts) -

Well this was pretty fantastic. I did figure it out on my second try though.

#33 Posted by Darson (440 posts) -

> wait for death 
I only understood you as far as wanting to wait.

#34 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

I ended up with the control panel, the altimeter and the eject switch in my inventory. Either that's part of this goofy game or someone needs to place them as scenery with the inform7 code.

#35 Posted by falconpunch (177 posts) -

My first text adventure!!!

#36 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (923 posts) -

Eh, most common things like "use throttle" and "ask Vinny about Driver: San Fransisco" wont work.

#37 Posted by ManiacMaysin (364 posts) -

The first thing I typed: eject.

#38 Posted by meaninoflife42 (490 posts) -

I survived (kind of.)

#39 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

so is the point that you can't win?

#40 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Haha I did that straight away without even trying

>turn on switch

(the eject switch) You flip the eject switch, blasting the cockpit hatch open and sending you, Dave, Vinny, and Drew flying out into the atmosphere. As you each stare at the ground quickly coming up from below, a new A-10 Warthog appears under you and you land in the middle of the open cockpit! Vinny is frantically flipping levers and switches.

#41 Posted by DEFE (226 posts) -

@Getz said:

so is the point that you can't win?

It's winnable. Just fairly oblique. Pay attention to the things the game mentions as time passes. Most of them, like the stuff about a racing wheel, is meaningless, but trying commands with that stuff is how I eventually found the solution.

#43 Posted by Twinsun (469 posts) -

@jakeyjake:

Can I ask how long it took you to make? Seems like a fun thing to try.

#44 Posted by 1momosauky (207 posts) -

>ask Whom do you want to ask?

>drew

What do you want to ask Drew for?

>what he is wearing

You can't see any such thing.

#45 Posted by jakeyjake (17 posts) -

@Twinsun: Maybe 10 hours off and on? The hardest part is guessing at what people will type in and trying to find an end state that isn't so obscure no one will get there.

I'm happy to share the source of the game if you (or anyone) is interested.

#46 Posted by Liquidsolidus (65 posts) -

I am completely clueless! My ideas are either to get the hatch open, somehow, or flip the switches in some sort of order, but I haven't been able to do either. I'll come back to it later on probably, and have a Benopause and get it first try.

#47 Posted by BBAlpert (1354 posts) -

I'm completely stumped, as I feel like I've done as much as I can with everything that the game has told me about. All I can think of in terms of possible solutions is that maybe there's some other object that isn't specifically mentioned, and that you just need to know is there. Or maybe I just overlooked something that's been sitting right in front of me the whole time.

Process of elimination, things I have tried that yield results other than the default "you can't do that" messages:

• Ask Drew/Dave/Vinny about hatch
  • Ask Drew/Dave about Dave/Drew
  • Flip switch on HOTAS
  • Flip fuel, battery, and inverter switches on control panel (in various sequences)
  • Flip switch on ejector
  • Eject
  • Examine Dave, Drew, Vinny, self, track IR, altimeter, control panel, hatch, ejector
  • Take control panel, altimeter, ejector switch
  • Give control panel, altimeter, ejector switch, HOTAS to Dave/Drew/Vinny

I can't think of anything else, really. Am I at least on the right track with any of that?

#48 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I just wish any command did anything. great idea though! I'm terrible at playing text games. I imagine designing them would be nearly impossible.

#49 Posted by DEFE (226 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

I'm completely stumped, as I feel like I've done as much as I can with everything that the game has told me about. All I can think of in terms of possible solutions is that maybe there's some other object that isn't specifically mentioned, and that you just need to know is there. Or maybe I just overlooked something that's been sitting right in front of me the whole time.

Process of elimination, things I have tried that yield results other than the default "you can't do that" messages:

• Ask Drew/Dave/Vinny about hatch
  • Ask Drew/Dave about Dave/Drew
  • Flip switch on HOTAS
  • Flip fuel, battery, and inverter switches on control panel (in various sequences)
  • Flip switch on ejector
  • Eject
  • Examine Dave, Drew, Vinny, self, track IR, altimeter, control panel, hatch, ejector
  • Take control panel, altimeter, ejector switch
  • Give control panel, altimeter, ejector switch, HOTAS to Dave/Drew/Vinny

I can't think of anything else, really. Am I at least on the right track with any of that?

The important things are all in there except for one. There's one more thing you have to ask Dave about once you've made the necessary preparations.

#50 Posted by Liquidsolidus (65 posts) -

The only other real thing that sticks out to me is Vinny going on about the fuel mixture, but I haven't been able to work any commands regarding it :(