• 73 results
#1 Edited by aratto (10 posts) -

What game do you think they'll choose?

My pick is Assassin's Creed III, and I predict it'll be between it and Borderlands 2. Jeff loved the first Borderlands, and I predict he'll love this one and talk it up. But I don't think he'll be able to get the rest of the crew behind it. Both Jeff and Ryan love the AC story. On the 2009 podcast, Jeff said about Assassin's Creed II, "And I love that ending. I love it, I love it, I love it." And Ryan's GOTY in 2010 was Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Other than Borderlands 2, I don't see much competition. Halo 4 and Far Cry 3 stand out. I doubt they'll get into Resident Evil 6. Diablo III will win PC game, but they're not so into it that it'll win GOTY.

What's your pick? Feel free to make other, related predictions.

#2 Edited by CJduke (788 posts) -

The same as you said, it will be between Borderlands 2 and AC III. I see XCOM as the dark horse because jeff and ryan are excited for it, it looks awesome, and its made by firaxis.

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I'm with AC3 as well.

#4 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Mass Effect 3, Journey

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I think Jeff is goin to make a strong push for Syndicate and Brad is going to make one for Journey.

#6 Posted by QuantumPilot (86 posts) -

I really really want borderlands 2 to be good.

#7 Posted by jdevlin24t (8 posts) -

You wouldn't usually think of Halo 4 as a sleeper pick, but with the last few entries treading water, the Halo franchise isn't a shoe-in for a GOTY nomination. I think Halo 4, under new management at 343, could surprise a lot of people. What I've seen and heard so far shows a ton of potential; from the epic single player, slick new graphics and animations, sweeping soundtrack, finely-tuned multiplayer, and innovative episodic co-op; Halo 4 looks to impress a lot of gamers on November 6th.

#8 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

Shouldn't you choose games that have come out already since, you know, they have already played them fully? I mean we already know how they feel about games that have already come out through bombcasts, QL, and reviews. Predicting games like Borderlands 2 and AC3 is a shot in the dark at this point.

Anyway, I predict they'll pick Journey.

#9 Posted by Milkman (16782 posts) -

Walking Dead.

#10 Posted by aratto (10 posts) -

Unless Halo 4's campaign is astonishingly good, Ryan will say "It's Halo, folks" and Brad will sigh and say "Yeah..." and Jeff will say "But it was really good, but yeah, it's Halo."

#11 Posted by wemibelec90 (1660 posts) -

Seeing as how several of the biggest games of the year haven't actually released yet, I have no idea.

#12 Edited by aratto (10 posts) -

@Ace829 said:

Shouldn't you choose games that have come out already since, you know, they have already played them fully? I mean we already know how they feel about games that have already come out through bombcasts, QL, and reviews. Predicting games like Borderlands 2 and AC3 is a shot in the dark at this point.

Anyway, I predict they'll pick Journey.

It's interesting to do now, right before the big games come out, because most people will predict it'll be one of those big games, and that means you're making two bets: (1) that they'll pick that game and (2) that that game will be good.

I'm sure someone will make another predictions thread in December, and in December this thread will be interesting to look at, I think.

#13 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

I'm not sure. This year has been and will likely continue to be mediocre.

#14 Posted by huntad (1939 posts) -

I like these kind of threads, because a lot of the proposed discussions and dialogs are always really believable, lol.

#15 Posted by JaredA (824 posts) -

I'm callin' it: Borderlands 2 GOTY

I soooo hope Borderlands 2 is good!

#16 Posted by CheapPoison (731 posts) -

Pretty sure the game of the year hasn't been released yet.

I feel it will be borderlands on Ac3. But i doubt assassins creed is going to get it cause it is already the 5th one (?). Then again borderlands isn't fully new at this point we'll see.

Maybe someone crazy will push for Diablo 3.

That is all i can see happening, or that i can remember.

#17 Posted by Korolev (1706 posts) -

We'll have to wait and see how the rest of the year will turn out, but I can make a few predictions

Jeff's top ten will almost certainly include Borderlands 2, and it might be this game of the year.

Brad will put Diablo III in his top ten, but it will be low on the list, and it won't be his GOTY. A lot of shine has come off that game, even if I still think it's pretty good. Mass Effect 3 will also be on his list, although also fairly low down. I make a wild guess that Dishonoured will be his game of the year.

Vinny will probably place Mass Effect 3 somewhere in his top ten. If AC3 pans out, it might be his GOTY.

Ryan will probably have AC3 as his game of the year.

#18 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

Think Brad might give Journey the number 1 spot. I'd be disappointed if he gave it to D3.

I get the feeling Vinny might really like Dishonoured.

No fucking idea about Jeff. I mean he gave Syndicate a 5/5 but I don't know if that game will even end up on his list. Borderlands 2, possibly.

I'm sure Patrick will give it to The Walking Dead. Though if a Machine for Pigs makes it out this year, that will replace it or place high.

#19 Posted by bigsmoke77 (789 posts) -

I see Borderlands 2 as the GOTY with two dark horses of Dishonored and XCOM. AC3 will be really good but I don't think the GB crew all agreeing that it is the GOTY.

#20 Posted by TheMasterDS (2066 posts) -

Well one thing I'm confident of is Mass Effect 3 having no shot at the award. Syndicate was great but I don't think it'll get more than a place on a top 10 or two. Fez and Sound Shapes will likely be high on my list, but those probably won't be nearly as high as theirs. Maybe Sound Shapes will be on some of their top 10s. Borderlands 2... sure, I guess. I think Dishonored could rank high, Assassin's Creed 3 always looks cool whenever they show it, XCOM will probably get some love, Need for Speed too, I wouldn't bet against Rayman Legends being in a top 10 or two like Origins was. If Heart of the Swarm releases it'll get some love,

Let's see... what else came out this year? Journey, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Trials Evolution, Dust... Some of those might get into some GOTY lists, sure.

Top honor, the GOTY, would probably be... If it was right now it'd have to be... Diablo III? But its not right now, it's in like 4 months after a bunch of key games come out. So we'll see.

#21 Posted by huntad (1939 posts) -

I'm hoping Assassin's Creed 3 at least is nominated. It's the only game (retail) that I'm getting this year, so I hope it's looked upon fondly.

#22 Edited by cthomer5000 (789 posts) -

Fez and Walking Dead seem to be sure to finish fairly high based upon their at-the-time reactions to them. Vinny and Jeff were hella high on Fez for a bit after release, even with the bug issues. Ryan talked about driving around listening to the soundtrack, etc, and there was a lot of fun in being caught up in the zeitgeist of that game when it came out - when many late-game puzzles had yet to be solved publicly. And the still unknown reason for the final puzzle gave the game a definite aura of mystique.

It definitely, definitely feels like #1 is there for the taking though. Will all the big fall releases it seems quite likely that one of them will end up pleasing most of them and making them forget the games that came out in early 2012.

Also, I will follow Patrick on his attempt to back 'I Am Alive' for any sort of honor. It was an incredibly interesting game.

#23 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11003 posts) -

I bet Brad makes a hard push for Asura's Wrath and/or Dust: An Elysian Tail.

But yeah, it's probably going to be Assassin's Creed III or Borderlands 2.

#24 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1246 posts) -

For their top 10 (not in order)

Journey, Trails Evolution, The Walking Dead, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, Xcom enemy unknown, Assassins Creed 3, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Halo 4, Hitman Absolution.

That's what I think will be in the sites top 10. Though most of my predictions have to deal with games we don't know the outcome of. Out of these games I would like Halo 4 to be GOTY, but I think it will be such a toss up between all of these games and what people favor.

#25 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

XCom is the only right answer. I will knife a fool that says otherwise.

#26 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

Seeing as how several of the biggest games of the year haven't actually released yet, I have no idea.

#27 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

1.AC3

2. Borderlands 2

3. Diablo 3

4. Far Cry 3

5.Journey

6. Walking Dead

7. Sleeping Dogs

8. Mass Effect 3

9. XCOM

10. Black Ops 2

#28 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

XCom is the only right answer. I will knife a fool that says otherwise.

If they don't give it to X COM they done did it.

#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Katawa Shoujo, because I'm an idiot.

#30 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

Dishonered I'm thinking will take it but who knows it could turn out to be shit.

#31 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

While not everything has came out yet, I'll throw out some:

• Halo 4
  • Diablo III
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Max Payne 3
  • Journey
#32 Edited by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

I predict that the Wii U turns out to be another runaway success and everybody's top ten games are on Wii U and Assassins Creed 3 (on Wii U) is their game of the year.

#33 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

Honestly, it could be and of these games: 

1. Fez 
2. Trials Evolution 
3. Assassin's Creed 3 
4. Border Lands 2 
5. Diablo 3 
6. Halo 4 (though I'm sure it'll be good, the GB crew just doesn't seem to fond of Halo games) 
7. NFS: Most Wanted 
8. Dust 
9. X-Com 
10.  Dishonored 
11. Journey 
12. Walking Dead 
 13. Darksider 2 (my personal GOTY)
What will be more interesting is next year. Some SUPER heavy hitters come out next year. 

#34 Edited by Yummylee (21629 posts) -

@Korolev said:

Vinny will probably place Mass Effect 3 somewhere in his top ten. If AC3 pans out, it might be his GOTY.

Sleeping Dogs will be ranking pretty high for Vinny as well.

I'd love to see The Darkness II pop up on some of the staff's lists. Such a great game that's basically gotten lost under the couch as time has passed.

#35 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Fartcat.

#36 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

GTA V if it comes out this year. If not - Assassin's Creed 3.

#37 Posted by Ares42 (2663 posts) -

Brad will make everyone else cave and make Diablo 3 the GOTY.

#38 Edited by Deusx (1904 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

1.AC3

2. Borderlands 2

3. Diablo 3

4. Far Cry 3

5.Journey

6. Walking Dead

7. Sleeping Dogs

8. Mass Effect 3

9. XCOM

10. Black Ops 2

That list makes me sad... What a boring year for video games. I mean there are some good ones but nothing groundbreaking. The game I've played the most this year is the Dark Souls PC edition and I've already played that game for at least 200 hours on PS3! Diablo 3 and ME2 sucked. Walking Dead, Darksiders, and Sleeping Dogs were pretty good though. Journey was impressive but something I won't come back after I finished it. AC3 and Borderlands 2 are going to be the same thing we've played before. Not complaining, I like those but hey, they're the same. Last year was so much better.

@Video_Game_King said:

Katawa Shoujo, because I'm an idiot.

Because you have feelings

#39 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Deusx: Of course it is man, need a new console already.

#40 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11731 posts) -

Too early to tell, as most of the year's important releases haven't come out yet. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing which game Brad turns his back on this year. Last year it was L.A. Noire and the year before it was Mass Effect 2. Either way, I'm expecting the GOTY deliberation podcasts to be just as muddled as last year, and more entertainment than serious nuanced criticism.

#41 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@Deusx said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

1.AC3

2. Borderlands 2

3. Diablo 3

4. Far Cry 3

5.Journey

6. Walking Dead

7. Sleeping Dogs

8. Mass Effect 3

9. XCOM

10. Black Ops 2

That list makes me sad... What a boring year for video games. I mean there are some good ones but nothing groundbreaking. The game I've played the most this year is the Dark Souls PC edition and I've already played that game for at least 200 hours on PS3! Diablo 3 and ME2 sucked. Walking Dead, Darksiders, and Sleeping Dogs were pretty good though. Journey was impressive but something I won't come back after I finished it. AC3 and Borderlands 2 are going to be the same thing we've played before. Not complaining, I like those but hey, they're the same. Last year was so much better.

Same here, after 300 hours of Dark Souls on 360, I'm now playing the PC version.

Did they even mention the PC release of Dark Souls on the bombcast? Anyway, we know it won't play a role in GB's goty deliberations.

Of all the games I think the hottest contenders will be Borderlands 2, AC3 , Diablo 3 and X-Com - and I assume AC3 will win because it looks fantastic and is different enough from its predecessors, and the whole crew will be able to enjoy it. (Borderlands 2 is just more of the same, X-Com looks like it'll be a fresh breeze but not everyone will love it, Diablo 3 wasn't able to hold their interest for very long and flaws became apparent after a short time) .

#42 Posted by Deusx (1904 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Deusx: Of course it is man, need a new console already.

You're right. It's obvious that this was going to be a slow year. It's the end of a generation.

@CptBedlam said:

@Deusx said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

1.AC3

2. Borderlands 2

3. Diablo 3

4. Far Cry 3

5.Journey

6. Walking Dead

7. Sleeping Dogs

8. Mass Effect 3

9. XCOM

10. Black Ops 2

Same here, after 300 hours of Dark Souls on 360, I'm now playing the PC version.

Did they even mention the PC release of Dark Souls on the bombcast? Anyway, we know it won't play a role in GB's goty deliberations.

Of all the games I think the hottest contenders will be Borderlands 2, AC3 , Diablo 3 and X-Com - and I assume AC3 will win because it looks fantastic and is different enough from its predecessors, and the whole crew will be able to enjoy it. (Borderlands 2 is just more of the same, X-Com looks like it'll be a fresh breeze but not everyone will love it, Diablo 3 wasn't able to hold their interest for very long and flaws became apparent after a short time) .

I hate them for not paying Dark Souls its due respects but hey, to each his own. I think it is the best game released in the last 10 years and my favorite game EVER. It's my new Zelda.

That said, I'm really excited for X-COM. I've always been a fan of that series. Loved the first games. I always named my characters with the most bad ass/dumb names.

#43 Posted by adam1808 (1496 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I think Jeff is goin to make a strong push for Syndicate and Brad is going to make one for Journey.

Even Jeff knows that he won't be able to make a case for Syndicate. Game was solid but it's no Journey.

#44 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

One Bradley Shoemaker will argue until his death about how Diablo III should take the number one spot on the Game Of The Year list. You just watch.

#45 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

@Hizang said:

Even Jeff knows that he won't be able to make a case for Syndicate. Game was solid but it's no Journey.

Journey isn't goty material either. But it'll probably duke it out with Dust and Trials Evo in the downloadable category.

@Napalm said:

One Bradley Shoemaker will argue until his death about how Diablo III should take the number one spot on the Game Of The Year list. You just watch.

With the main argument being "hey, it's Blizzard".

#46 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Napalm said:

...Eff, I didn't even think about that.

#47 Posted by CaptainAnarchy (36 posts) -

I think a real heavy contender for GOTY will be Walking Dead. They are essentially reviving a genre that many have lost interest in and with a story that has thus far, been an emotional rollercoaster.

#48 Posted by intoblivion (314 posts) -

Halo 4 could do it, none of them hate the Halo series and the amount of polish and depth in 4 could re-ignite the Combat Evolved love that you hear from quite a lot of journalists.

#49 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Dishonored. Guild Wars 2. Assassin's Creed III. RE6 might have a shot at being good. Black Ops II because... people like CoD.

#50 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I would love to see them go with Journey. I think it's a ballsy choice and it stands up to scrutiny. When we look back on this year I think Journey and The Walking Dead might be the games that define it, instead of another AC, or another borderlands, or another Mass Effect, or whatever Diablo is now.