This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Rorie (2987 posts) -

Hey, the other hiring thread was months old and suffered from the forum issue of "clicking on the last topic page doesn't actually take you there," so I'm going to lock that one. Feel free to welcome Dan Ryckert and Jason Oestreicher, who join us from their previous gig at Game Informer. You can get an introduction to them in the latest Giant Bombcast.

#2 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -

Welcome to the team, guys! Glad to have some new butts to finally fill the empty chairs in the SF office.

Any duders who have been following these guys should post their favorite moments here for those like me that only have a fleeting familiarity with them. Everyone who knows them seems stoked to have them aboard, and you should share with the community just why that is!

#3 Posted by Lyfeforce (403 posts) -

I'm excited to see what they can bring to the Giant Bomb Jambalaya of crazy/dumb. Welcome!

#4 Posted by MB (13104 posts) -

Disappointed that this wasn't the first response. We need something with Jason in it asap!

#5 Posted by DavidMerrick (90 posts) -

Man, this is going to be at least another two weeks of learning to differentiate between Dan and Jason's voices on the Bombcast. Took me a month with Jeff and Ryan (yeah, laugh if you want).

But sincere congrats!

#6 Edited by syz (252 posts) -

Hopefully Jason can teach them the ways of the fighting game.

#7 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@rorie said:

Hey, the other hiring thread was months old and suffered from the forum issue of "clicking on the last topic page doesn't actually take you there," so I'm going to lock that one.

Two things:

1. Is this bug being worked on?
  2. Does this mean the Anime thread is no more?
#8 Edited by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

I'm not familiar with Jason, but I know Dan's a cool guy. Looking forward to GB NEO!

#9 Posted by Gutterkisser (220 posts) -

A little disappointed they didn't go for the business acumen Benjamin Peezy could have offered, but welcome aboard nonetheless!

#10 Posted by development (2626 posts) -

It's gonna be fun watching Jeff get his ass kicked in fighting games.

#11 Posted by Bocam (3822 posts) -

@rorie said:

Hey, the other hiring thread was months old and suffered from the forum issue of "clicking on the last topic page doesn't actually take you there," so I'm going to lock that one.

Two things:

The anime thread will never die (even though I have no extra time to watch anime)

#12 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -

No clue who they are but Okaeri!

#13 Posted by MB (13104 posts) -

It's gonna be fun watching Jeff get his ass kicked in fighting games.

Wow I didn't even think about that...even MK?

#14 Posted by slyspider (1366 posts) -

Alright, I don't know these guys but i trust GB crew to make the right call! Welcome new faces into my life!

#15 Posted by Zeik (2758 posts) -

@mb: Jeff is only good at MK compared to the rest of the staff. He's only decent in the grand scheme.

#16 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

I'm looking forward to see how the new guys mix things up!

#17 Posted by Bocam (3822 posts) -

Hopefully this means Dan Rykert's dad shows up on GB

#18 Edited by UncleBenny (476 posts) -

Butt Burts, nuts butt butt.... God damn autocorrect

#19 Posted by syz (252 posts) -

@zeik said:

@mb: Jeff is only good at MK compared to the rest of the staff. He's only decent in the grand scheme.

But now does he get sucked into the rabbit hole and try to learn, or shun the genre completely?

#20 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -

@bocam said:

@video_game_king said:

@rorie said:

Two things:

The anime thread will never die (even though I have no extra time to watch anime)

The bug is a bit annoying but it's a part of the underlying way that the forum works. Very long threads often see numerous messages deleted from them, but these are soft deletes, meaning that staff and mods can still see them. Since we hide those messages for regular users, though, the count gets confused the longer the thread gets and the more messages are deleted. Still need to figure out a good solution.

#21 Posted by development (2626 posts) -

Pssssssssssssssssssssssssst @rorie You spelled "Ryckert" wrong.

#22 Edited by Flappy (2352 posts) -

They like wrestling and fighting games? I'm sold.

Welcome to GB!

#23 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -

People might say Jeff knew from the start that he was going to hire an old buddy with similar tastes, but that wasn't the case! Dan Ryckert enjoys television, I've even seen him pop up in an AV Club Game of Thrones chat.

#GameChanger #GameChanged

#24 Posted by mstsc (2 posts) -

No surprises there. Dan announced he was moving to San Fran during the E3 chats.

#25 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12114 posts) -

@zeik said:

I dunno man. Jeff is disturbingly good at UMK 3.

#26 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

@mb: Fantastic. Welcomes to Dan and Jason.

#27 Edited by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

@rorie: You spelled Dan's surname wrong, which is surprising given the difficulty of Jason's!

#28 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -
#29 Posted by Sgtpierceface (645 posts) -

This is awesome. I can't wait to see what kind of stuff Dan gets up to now.

#30 Posted by TheBluthCompany (423 posts) -

FLIGHT CLUB 2.0?

#31 Posted by BigJeffrey (5178 posts) -

cool

#32 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@zeik said:

But sit him in front of any non-Mortal Kombat fighting game and he becomes, well, mortal. :P

Anyway, welcome, Dan and Jason. Or Jason and Dan. Danson. Jasda.

#33 Posted by TheHT (11785 posts) -

NEW PEOPLE!!!

One that I already know of and like, and one who I've never heard of but is now a bonafide duder so welcome, welcome.

#34 Posted by BaconGames (3575 posts) -

If only Dan Ryckert was a woman.

#36 Posted by BeachThunder (12411 posts) -

@rorie: You spelled Dan's surname wrong, which is surprising given the difficulty of Jason's!

They're both hard.

In fact, it seems like the surnames are getting harder and harder with each new hire :o

#37 Edited by Jay_Ray (1127 posts) -

So when do we start to hate them?

Welcome to Giant Bomb!

#38 Posted by mlarrabee (3060 posts) -

I look forward to getting to know Dan and Jason, and I'm excited to see fresh perspectives. Cheers, all!

Man, this is going to be at least another two weeks of learning to differentiate between Dan and Jason's voices on the Bombcast. Took me a month with Jeff and Ryan (yeah, laugh if you want).

But sincere congrats!

I remember that period vividly. "They're both funny, so I guess it doesn't really matter."

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

In fact, it seems like the surnames are getting harder and harder with each new hire :o

Making me, a person from a culture whose language no Earthling has any exposure to, the perfect candidate for the next round of hires!

#40 Posted by RecSpec (3930 posts) -

Welcome to the team Dan and Jason. Can't wait for the increased fighting game and wrestling coverage!

#41 Posted by TruthTellah (9472 posts) -

If only Dan Ryckert was a woman.

Don't worry, just like what happened in this thread, Photoshop can fix that.

#42 Posted by csl316 (9441 posts) -

Dan's fairly well known around here and will fit right in. Having Jason here will quietly become the coolest thing.

Very excited to see where this goes. But know this: Giant Bomb just got way better.

#43 Posted by ZombiePie (5753 posts) -

I came here just to see complaining about them being white and male.

That will not happen here. The expressed purpose of this thread is to congratulate the new additions to the Giant Bomb family. Anything that is not this will not be allowed.

#44 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -

So glad it turned out to be Ryckert. I was going to be so mad if their trolling was actually just trolling.

#45 Posted by MormonWarrior (2662 posts) -

So Air Force Gator 3 will be published by CBS? Or will they be funding a new miniseries?

#46 Edited by development (2626 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

I look forward to getting to know Dan and Jason, and I'm excited to see fresh perspectives. Cheers, all!

@davidmerrick said:

But sincere congrats!

I remember that period vividly. "They're both funny, so I guess it doesn't really matter."

You guys should listen to an episode of MBMBaM. I've listened to dozens of episodes and I still occasionally mix up Travis and Justin.

#47 Posted by ajamafalous (12154 posts) -

Also WE NOW HAVE A RIBERA JACKET ON-STAFF.

#48 Posted by GaspoweR (3489 posts) -

Also WE NOW HAVE A RIBERA JACKET ON-STAFF.

#49 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -

@zombiepie said:

@alistercat said:

I came here just to see complaining about them being white and male.

That will not happen here. The expressed purpose of this thread is to congratulate the new additions to the Giant Bomb family. Anything that is not this will not be allowed.

Thank you for this. Seriously. Thank you.

And congrats to the new guys! I look forward to judging your every word with narrowed eyes and impossibly high expectations.

Just kidding, of course.

#50 Posted by Zeik (2758 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@zeik said:

But sit him in front of any non-Mortal Kombat fighting game and he becomes, well, mortal. :P

Anyway, welcome, Dan and Jason. Or Jason and Dan. Danson. Jasda.

To be completely fair to Jeff, even just being decent at fighting games is often not easy. The amount of dedication required to be legitimately good is beyond the means of most mortals.