#1 Posted by GamingMichael (104 posts) -

After being let go by Gamespot, Jeff formed GB, which later became owned by CBS and Gamespot. If Wikipedia is to be believed, that just seems extremely ironic and fucked up in a way. If Giant Bomb was formed as a way to forget/move on from that falling out, how the hell did Gamespot become part owners in a sense? Am I missing something here?

#2 Posted by Pie (7073 posts) -

It's complicated.

#3 Posted by psylah (2169 posts) -

Giant Bomb was formed under Shelby Bonnie who started Whiskey Media. Shelby split and sold the company, which is why Tested broke off and looks completely different from GB and Comic Vine, which both were soldto CBSi.

#4 Edited by Kevino13 (121 posts) -

Being fired by Gamespot and being picked back up are separated by years. Since then a lot has happened, such as the people who fired Jeff themselves being fired from Gamespot for, if I remember correctly, basically incompetence. There's a video up on Gamespot with Jeff, where he explains the situation more thoroughly.

VVV That one exactly.

#5 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

Gamespot doesn't own any part of Giant Bomb. It's owned by the same company as Giant Bomb, though. The management over both teams is entirely different from when Jeff was let go, too, so there are no hard feelings between him and anyone at CBSi.

You can learn more about it in this video:

#6 Posted by Superfriend (1540 posts) -

Am I missing something here?

Yeah, you´re missing a whole lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagFPnSG0j4

This video should give you a basic idea. Basically, the suits that ran the show back when Jeff was fired are gone now (though there are other suits now, of course) and gamespot is not the place it was after Jeff was fired. I have to admit I felt kinda weird when they announced the step, but I guess it was the only way GB was allowed a continued existence. There are a LOT of drawbacks from the move, but there were also some drawbacks from the move to the bigger whiskey offices, in my opinion.. and I guess nothing can stay the same forever.

In short: I don´t think Jeff would have made the jump if gamespot would still be like ´07 or ´08 gamespot. And they´re not merging with gamespot.

#7 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

@gamingmichael said:

Am I missing something here?

In short: I don´t think Jeff would have made the jump if gamespot would still be like ´07 or ´08 gamespot. And they´re not merging with gamespot.

Not yet.

#8 Posted by wjb (1653 posts) -

If you want to destroy something; do it from the inside. The only way out is through.

Shh...you are ruining the master plan.

#9 Posted by Live2bRighteous (316 posts) -

Thanks Kane and Lynch.

#10 Posted by Christoffer (1786 posts) -

In short, Gamespot had a good staff but was bought by a bad company that only knew about profit. The "Giant Bomb" -crew left/got fired to form their own shit while Gamespot, eventually, got under better ownership. The End.

#11 Edited by pinner458 (691 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

Gamespot doesn't own any part of Giant Bomb. It's owned by the same company as Giant Bomb, though. The management over both teams is entirely different from when Jeff was let go, too, so there are no hard feelings between him and anyone at CBSi.

Was just about to post this.

#12 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

Because Shelby was cashing in on Whiskey Media and they had a choice between going cap in hand back to Gamespot or not having a job.

I mean... uh... because the baddies at Gamespot got replaced by kittens and rainbows, or whatever the company line was ;)

#13 Edited by GamingMichael (104 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

Thanks. That cleared some things up.

#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

Gamespot don't own Giant Bomb in any way, it's just that they're both owned by the same parent company, and the management that ended up firing Jeff is long gone now, things are run by a different bunch of people this time round. Giant Bomb's forming wasn't defined by "Getting away from Gamespot" either. It was the thing that the staff did post-Gamespot, but Giant Bomb was and is still about the staff wanting to build the kind of video game website they'd want to visit.