• 53 results
#1 Posted by 01wilsonj (83 posts) -

I like paying for giant bomb, think the service is great and im happy with the direction the website is going in. However im not happy with the way my money is shared with the rest of whiskey media, i use giant bomb, i think screened is an overly critical website with no sense of humor but thats just there style, i dont read comics so comic vine is no use to me and i dont think tested generate enough video content to satisfy me, oh and there is anime vice. I dont have a problem with the other sites i just dont use them and i wish i could funnel my tiny contribution just to giant bomb. im sure im not the only user who is like this, loves giant bomb but may occasionly just flick through the sites when they are bored but always comes back to GB. I want to subscribe just to giant bomb because my intrests lie in there content, not the rest of whiskey media. im not intrested in the growth of the other sites, and i just wish all the primarly giant bomb users where given the option to make sure there money goes to the service they use.

#2 Posted by Enigma777 (6074 posts) -

I'm just in it for the "As seen on TV" products. Everything else is gravy on top.

#3 Posted by Seedofpower (3932 posts) -

I wouldn't consider screened and tested underdeveloped. On top of that any money any of these sites make all go to the same place anyways, so a subscription purely for giant bomb is meaningless.

#4 Posted by JayDee (439 posts) -

screened>giantbomb>tested

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Eh, Screened needs Alex regularly. Not that I have any problem with Matt.

Tested is awesome..what are you talking about?

Comic Vine actually got me into buying some online comics.

And don't worry...they aren't funneling any of your money to anime vice..trust me.

#6 Posted by Chris2KLee (2336 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:
And don't worry...they aren't funneling any of your money to anime vice..trust me.
Yerp, Animevice is intern fodder and I think they give Tom a box of crackers and a case of water to make videos for the site.
#7 Posted by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

@01wilsonj: No, you're not the only one thinking this. I occationally use Screened but it needs a lot of work before it's worth the fee. But, what they're doing with my money is of course fully up to them. I have the freedom to cancel at any time if I ever thought Giant Bomb suffered. However, I already think this site is great and, by just pumping more money into it, Giant Bomb wont necessarily be better.

#8 Posted by Helushune (215 posts) -

Oh good, another one of these.

#9 Posted by benpicko (2010 posts) -

Tested > GiantBomb.

#10 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Everyone uses the same equipment, so it doesn't matter.

#11 Posted by selbie (1907 posts) -

Im curious to know if that could be an option. My preferred sites are GB, Tested and Screened in order of most used to least used, and I never use Anime Vice or Comic Vine. So it would be great to somehow set a percentage of my contribution to the sites I use. Im sure there are also fans of Anime that dont care much for Tested for example and want the same ability to choose their support priority.

#12 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -

Money from the users of other sites also help support GB, so things equal out.  Only Anime Vice has any real right for complaint honestly considering no funding actually gets put behind it at all and yet their users are still asked to subscribe.

#13 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Your money goes to Whiskey Media, the company that powers Giant Bomb. Giant Bomb is a website, not a company.

#14 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Your money goes to Whiskey Media, the company that powers Giant Bomb. Giant Bomb is a website, not a company.

What this guy said!

I really don't like screened that much as I find movie critics to be jaded. But GB and Tested are awesome and Comic Vine actually got me into my only comic that I've ever read and that is Locke and Key (shown on the Happy Hour), the hardcover editions that I bought are amazing.

#15 Posted by Aetheldod (3594 posts) -

I like all Whiskey Sites , yes.... even the dreaded Anime Vice (tho it could get a boost from a more permanent staff) so my bucks are well spent I say , if you dont like it, well heck you could use that money to get some english classes , "there" and "their" is not the same word

#16 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

You can stop making threads now

#17 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I'm all about Anime Vice. It's just so good.

#18 Edited by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

Too bad

#19 Posted by Landon (4149 posts) -

@JayDee said:

screened>giantbomb>tested

#20 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

K.

#21 Edited by theveej (833 posts) -

uhhhh, most of your money IS going into giantbomb.com

it is by far their biggest source of subscriptions, and from a person who visit all their sites (except Animevice) all the other site are woefully underdeveloped.

The amount of video content, live video and all the other news, trips to go see events etc. are much much much higher on giant bomb than any other site. I mean on a daily basis we are getting at least 1 QL and that is 30 min video at least. The other sites are lucky to get 1 30 min video a week.

Just think about the amount of content, specially video, that we get on giantbomb per week. Purely on the size of the files, I would wager it be more than all the other sites put together.

So yah, I want to see more Tested, screened and Comicvine content, but that is not feasible since most of their audience is from Giantbomb, so most of the resources go to this site.

#22 Posted by Swoxx (3002 posts) -

United we stand, divided we fall.

#23 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

What the fuck are you talking about ? Tested.com is awesome, they show cool products but too much iOS shit and not enough Android.

I don't visit Screened very often but I heard they love puppies.

ComicVine... well Sara is cute ... I never actually pay attention to what she is talking about in the segments but for some reason I started reading the new Batman comics online.

And Anime is for jerks.

#24 Posted by sugetipula (98 posts) -

Giant Bomb>>>>>>>>>>The World

#25 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

Screened needs another full time editor and a little overhaul of the TV wiki editor but aside from that it's a great site, as for Tested they need a good damn wiki. As for Comic Vine I don't read comics so I don't visit it regularly and I don't visit Anime Vice because I don't like VS and RP threads.

#26 Posted by AlisterCat (5593 posts) -

Giant Bomb has the biggest staff, most content and largest website. By default their costs are higher, and therefore you pay for them.

#27 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

I like all the sites, and fully want to support them all, though I do wish that GiantBomb could start working toward a new office space. All the other sites have kind of reached their peak as far as press for those topics goes, but Video Game review companies can get much bigger. am I the only one that thinks it's time for Giant bomb to blow up (pardon the pun)? I wouldnt be totally against getting 2 or 3 new employees either.

#28 Posted by Soap (3596 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

#29 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2473 posts) -

@Liber said:

What the fuck are you talking about ? Tested.com is awesome, they show cool products but too much iOS shit and not enough Android.

I like the personality and podcast of tested, but most of the coverage seems to be aimed at loaded people and they are eating lots of apples.

#30 Edited by Asurastrike (2167 posts) -

I don't understand why Tested has so little video content. Will and Norm almost never write articles, so what are they doing if not making videos? Eh, but whatever, This is Only a Test is my favorite podcast.

#31 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Nothing else really needs to be said.

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

Giantbomb isn't a company, it's a website. The money goes to whiskey media, because they're the company that runs the site. Simple.

#34 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

All the money goes to buying liquor so they can flaunt how drunk they are on the Happy Hour segments.

#35 Posted by TooWalrus (13221 posts) -

Live together, die alone.

#36 Posted by onarum (2114 posts) -

I bet you're that dude that always refuses to pay the waiter's tip when you go to a restaurant.

Actually the way you write makes you sound like a 12 year old so I guess you couldn't tip anyone anyway, 

• I must always be capitalized
  • it's their not there
            I wish to go there -> right
            It's there style -> wrong

• Use some freaking paragraphs for eff's sakes.....
#37 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

I fucking love Tested and Matt Rorie. The rest of them don't exist to me and WM is wasting money. Merge Comic Vine, Screened, and Anime Vice into one site please. Hire a dedicated QL staff run by Kessler, send the big 4 back to writing (you know, journalism), and continue to develop the site (parts still break under firefox).

2 cents

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@onarum said:

• I must always be capitalized
  • it's their not there
I wish to go there -> right
It's there style -> wrong

• Use some freaking paragraphs for eff's sakes.....
#39 Posted by Elusionar (309 posts) -

If you're pissed about that, you must be REALY pissed about us freeloaders.

#40 Posted by Gumby (229 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

All the money goes to buying liquor so they can flaunt how drunk they are on the Happy Hour segments.

And for the better! Fun-time Ryan is awesome!

#41 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (501 posts) -

Don't like the other Whiskey Media sites? Don't go there.

#42 Posted by rmanthorp (3968 posts) -

@Soap said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

#43 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

OP completely has a valid point, I don't want my membership money funding sites I don't use.

#44 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3881 posts) -

Whiskey Media runs this joint. That's who you're paying. You're welcome to not pat at all. Or hell just mail Giant Bomb a cheque.

#45 Posted by RE_Player1 (7561 posts) -

For me it goes:

Tested > Giantbomb > Screened > Comic Vine = Anime Vice

Not talking mess about any site, Comic Vine's coverage and reviews of the New 52 has got me to buy online comics and I discover some interesting anime from time to time thanks to Anime Vice.

What you have to understand is your getting a Whiskey Media subscription and Giant Bomb is under that umbrella as well as other sites.

#46 Posted by ElixirBronze (430 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

When I buy groceries they donate a dollar to the red cross so they can help starving people, I'm rather unhappy about this because it goes to all starving people I only wanna help people in Niger because Mexico isn't funny enough and I heard that Eithopia smells funny, I'm not interested is helping other people only who I want.

This parable is so irrelevant it's funny.

#47 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -

I love Screened and Tested. I even find the Comicvine editors interesting, but I'm not into comics so I only go on it if there's a lifetime's amount of knowledge I want to know about a comic book character.

#48 Posted by sirdesmond (1241 posts) -

Considering they are all in the same office and there is even a ton of cross-over between the sites, it makes sense for all the money to go to the entire company, rather than just the Giant Bomb budget. Success for all sites is better than just the success of one. Also, as someone else pointed out. They all use the same equipment, tech, and office space so a lot of that money would be going into the same thing either way.

#49 Edited by Moonshadow101 (568 posts) -

Why do you hate freedom?

#50 Posted by DeeGee (2128 posts) -

@Jonnyflash80 said:

Don't like the other Whiskey Media sites? Don't go there.

Good job on not reading the original post.