• 148 results
#1 Posted by Lufferov (43 posts) -

So when Giant Bomb and the Whisky Media empire relocated, my biggest fear at the time was the new office space wouldn't lend itself to the impromptu videos and general tomfoolery we used to see on a semi-regular basis. Now sadly I believe my fears were well grounded. The off the cuff, quick videos have virtually completed ceased. We very occasionally see a mailbag, but they are very rare. Apart from that I can't really think of anything recently.
If you look back through the archives there are loads of humorous vidoes from the old basement where someone just picked up a camera and started filming stuff. It really made Giant Bomb separate to the mainstream sites, you felt you got to know them personally. Now it feels a lot more like a "regular" gaming website and I've started to lose interest.
What has happened to Giant Bomb's soul? We need more mailbags, more mini series like TANG, another endurance run. What about Question of the week? The "How to move a bomb" video pretty much signalled the beginning of the end as far as I'm concerned.
Basically what I'm saying is they need to put the BANG back into the Bomb because right now I feel Giant Bomb is becoming a lot less fun. They still have great reviews, quick looks etc.. but it's the non-video-game side of things that needs to be re-ignited. The Happy Hour is okay once a week, but it's not really Giant Bomb and it doesn't have the same feel that those random camera pick up and shoot things used to capture.
Am I right on this or is it just me?

#2 Posted by Sin4profit (2911 posts) -

they get the tom foolery out of their systems with the TNT live show.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

you know why we don't have any more mailbags? because they've already seen most of the stuff once. QOTW is dead because no one ever sent videos for it. and WUTANG is coming back fairly soon, and asking for endurance runs is stupid since it does interfere with their regular job 

so yeah it's just you

#4 Posted by DeeGee (2116 posts) -

They don't have time for random stuff like that, there's games to review, trips to go on, work to be done. When they get some free time, expect more of this.

#5 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

Live shows fill that void perfectly for me.

#6 Posted by Kibblez (702 posts) -

I think Giant Bomb is the best its ever been

#7 Posted by ZombiePie (5597 posts) -

I bet when they get a new intern they will record more off the cuff and impromptu stuff. TANG feel on a busy period of game releases and Question of the Week is returning in a new form. Until then enjoy the flow of content as it is.

#8 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

It's Ana's fault.

#9 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I sort of miss I Love Mondays. But aside from that, I entirely disagree with you. 

#10 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

First off there is the live show, which is an hour of that every week.  Secondly give them a little time, holiday season is crazy for game reviews and they also launched memberships and did the big big live show live.  Hopefully we'll get some nice random videos coming here in January and February when there isn't nearly as much important stuff to cover.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

That's just you

#12 Posted by Jamer91 (132 posts) -

I am also one of those people who want another endurance run, but TNT is a pretty good alternative. the main problem with the endurance runs is that not everyone liked the games they were playing ( I personally liked both of them). but with TNT they play a different game every week, so you can choose whether or not to watch depending on how much you like the game.

#13 Posted by FinalDasa (1518 posts) -

I believe mailbag ended because there is only so many videos they can put up about japanese candy and energy drinks, especially when getting the same stuff. 

I think those mailbag videos and a lot of the early stuff was just so content went up on the site, now that they can stream out once a week, post several QLs every week, throw up a podcast on Tuesdays, thats the more professional side of a website that they have been striving for since the creation of the site. 

I do agree that I miss the good ole' days where it felt like we were all privy to something special in the making, but we still are I think. Things can never be the same forever.

#14 Posted by adoggz (2047 posts) -

@Lufferov: 
 http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRealGiantBomb 

they still do videos like that from time to time.
#15 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I feared the same thing, I'm glad to see that my fears were placed entirely wrong. I really enjoy the drop-ins from the people from the other sites and all that stuff. It's fun, and I'm completely satisfied with the line-up they have now.

#16 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
THE END IS NIGH! 

Etc.
#17 Posted by Teaspoon83 (623 posts) -

I still visit the site regularly but I have to say... I'm kinda bored. I seem to have lost interest in the site. All it is on the site is quick snip of the day's news, trailers and a Quick Look here and there. I've mentioned this before and I am not about to ask for Top Ten lists but I want new content that is more original rather than sticking to the usual. 

Relying on the members to provide "blogs" for content isn't exactly what I would like. I don't know, maybe I'm just growing up and slowly losing interest in video games.

#18 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I really wish they would start posting the TNT here on Giantbomb. Recently I've been running to a lot of those Justin TV videos that just won't load. I tried to watch the Bad Company 2: Vietnam video last night and the video kept locking up.

#19 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Man, you had me worried there. I thought this was going to be about me not posting as much lately. My bad! I'll get back to it!

#20 Posted by Tofford (526 posts) -

They have to spend more time filling out organised content now like TNT and The Happy Hour. Tested are experts on the Happy Hour when it comes to Tomfoolery

#21 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

#22 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

I thought they lost their soul dealing with the devil for their powers a long time ago.

#23 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

Ryan disapproves of your accusations. 

Taken from last night's TNT
#24 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -
@Lufferov: 

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I've noticed a lack of content for a while now to be honest.

#26 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

BWWAAAHHHHMMM
only good comment i could think of for this excellent thread

#27 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" It's Ana's fault. "
You shut your whore mouth.
#28 Edited by Lufferov (43 posts) -

Looks like I'm in a minority so far which surprises me if I'm honest. The problem with TNT is I can't watch them live, they don't show up on the RSS feed and they aren't archived on the site. So it makes watching them an effort and I have to go to another website to get them. Also, they are pretty much exclusively about the game they are playing that week. I just don't enjoy watching a someone else playing a game in this way and it's not the non-gaming general tomfoolery we've seen in the past.
"But it's a video game website" I hear you cry.... well yes it is, but what made Giant Bomb different in the first place, what set it apart from IGN, Eurogamer, Gamespot etc.. was that you got a lot of random off-topic videos.
Tested is another site I visit probably more frequently that Giant Bomb now, that's precisely because they shoot a LOT more video content. I much prefer to sit and watch a video than read an article on a monitor. I guess I just miss the Giant Bomb content that wasn't about video-games!
I think @FinalDasa got it, I really enjoyed the "behind the scenes" stuff, now it just feels like most other gaming websites out there. They don't make me feel special as a reader anymore, it doesn't feel as personal.

#29 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@Lufferov: So your problem is that you're lazy? Okay.
#30 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

I can make some behind the scenes stuff for you if you want. But the only thing it has to do with giant bomb is that I have a few thousand posts here... 

#31 Posted by DeeGee (2116 posts) -

Of course Tested shoot a lot more content, they don't have 20 hour games to play to make their site work =P

#32 Posted by TheHT (10939 posts) -

Sounds instead like they just have large dedicated time slots for their schenanigens.

The interns seem to get the impromtu stuff coverered.

#33 Posted by Lufferov (43 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers:  No not lazy, I just don't particularly like reading on a monitor. I read books, magazines and the occasional review and stuff on here. But that's not really the issue here anyway. It's more about the stuff that isn't about video-games I miss, when they just made videos for fun!
#34 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@DeeGee said:

" Of course Tested shoot a lot more content, they don't have 20 hour games to play to make their site work =P "

Well I find it kind of sad that the last GiantBomb review was last month. Alex doesn't count, hes not even giantbomb staff.
#35 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4310 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:
" I bet when they get a new intern they will record more off the cuff and impromptu stuff. TANG feel on a busy period of game releases and Question of the Week is returning in a new form. Until then enjoy the flow of content as it is. "
Pretty much this. I wouldn't expect Ryan, Vinny, or whoever to walk around recording random videos simply because they already have stuff they need to do. The reason (I assume) they could do that in the first place is because of what Zombie said. They had an intern to do it.

They aren't losing their soul. They're working.
#36 Posted by Chris2KLee (2331 posts) -

I feel the mixing with the other sites has led to some great shenanigans.

#37 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -

I had the same feeling when I heard the Dragon Age 2 advert at the end of this week's Bombcast.

#38 Posted by DeeGee (2116 posts) -
@CL60 said:
"Well I find it kind of sad that the last GiantBomb review was last month. Alex doesn't count, hes not even giantbomb staff. "
Well yeah, the lack of games released around Christmas + Giant Bomb taking it's vacation means there wouldn't be many reviews.
#39 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@PrimeSynergy said:

" @ZombiePie said:

" I bet when they get a new intern they will record more off the cuff and impromptu stuff. TANG feel on a busy period of game releases and Question of the Week is returning in a new form. Until then enjoy the flow of content as it is. "
Pretty much this. I wouldn't expect Ryan, Vinny, or whoever to walk around recording random videos simply because they already have stuff they need to do. The reason (I assume) they could do that in the first place is because of what Zombie said. They had an intern to do it.  They aren't losing their soul. They're working. "
But what are they working on? All I'm seeing are quick looks(Which don't require a lot of editing) and trailers, which are just uploaded. The news is posted by Bodega, and Nicholson mostly, and TNTs are only on Thursdays, and the last review done by a staff member was on December 8th. Which is more than a month ago.
#40 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

When is the last time Vinny climbed a fridge? 

I kinda see what you mean but now it's a bigger business and the crew has to maintain a schedule....

#41 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@Lufferov: I was referring your lack of willingness to check threads for things like Lemon's lens and the thing that bodega used to do. Or to go to ustream where they archive TNT.  

I love when people take guesses at what they think people are doing or how much work actually goes into things. It's like when people blew up when they wanted to break up the bombcast. 
#42 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" @Lufferov: I was referring your lack of willingness to check threads for things like Lemon's lens and the thing that bodega used to do. Or to go to ustream where they archive TNT.   I love when people take guesses at what they think people are doing or how much work actually goes into things. It's like when people blew up when they wanted to break up the bombcast.  "
How does that have anything to do with the bombcast break? The bombcast break did everything they said they would never do. They are two entirely different things and have no relation to eachother.
#43 Posted by ZombiePie (5597 posts) -
@CL60:  I believe Drew has stated that even the I Love Mondays videos took around an hour to compress, edit and sync. Even the short Quick Looks require some serious man hours and this is provided that they don't get corrupted or out of sync for unknown reasons. Pretty much video data management is a complicated and expensive process.
#44 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

Nice isn't it?  

Big surprise! They got paid, cashed in their checks and started to expand for bigger checks.   Its business.  Honest or not, varies with opinion.

Giant Bomb didn't exactly have noble beginnings.  Gerstmann back stabbed the Gamespot crew, poached who he needed and set up shop next door.  He had been in talks with WM for months before the faux called Gerstmann gate.   Which they used for viral publicity. (more than not, for the better)

They use anti-marketing ploys with a indie twist to pull in subs and let the site run itself.  While slowly cutting off those who don't pay.   Their main content is ripped from Youtube channels(QLs) and 4chan.   While they build onto their subscription plan by basically nickel and diming you with weak  sub-par content.  Like Video quality or Friday shows where they sit around and drink.

But that doesn't mean they don't love what they do or that they aren't building something worth while.   AND love all of those coming along for the ride.  I know I like my balls to be licked.  Gerstmann pulled a big "Fuck you" to a major gaming site or two, and got off with a full time career.  He even brought his friends along for the ride.  He took a job that may or may not sustain a grown man moving into his middle age and built a substantial nest egg.   That he could cultivate and grow.

Now that's pretty awesome in my book.  You can put them down all you want.  Its easy if you try.  But in the end,  Giant Bomb is marching on.  And to be honest what did you really expect?  Seems more like their users keep asking for something unrealistic.   Something they accidentally delivered once or twice.

I keep seeing weird shit posted (like art of the crew).  You people treat them like pets(even feeding them. wtfuck) and act out when they pee on the carpet.   This is a gaming site.  Its for gaming stuff and the journalists involved enjoy interacting with a increasingly obsessive demographic.  That spends way to much time acting like friends with people they know little about.  Let it be. Its about games.

IMO.  I don't think the community turned out the way they were hoping. Hard to say who's to blame, but maybe we need to take a look at what we expect from the WM sites and how we act with-in the forums.  Is that, the site lacks content a justified complaint?  Or are we just disappointed from expectations set to high?

There I go again.  Addressing a background issue with-in a underlined issue.  Just saying.  Is all. 
#45 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -

Nope.

#46 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4310 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:

" @ZombiePie said:

Pretty much this. I wouldn't expect Ryan, Vinny, or whoever to walk around recording random videos simply because they already have stuff they need to do. The reason (I assume) they could do that in the first place is because of what Zombie said. They had an intern to do it.  They aren't losing their soul. They're working. "
But what are they working on? All I'm seeing are quick looks(Which don't require a lot of editing) and trailers, which are just uploaded. The news is posted by Bodega, and Nicholson mostly, and TNTs are only on Thursdays, and the last review done by a staff member was on December 8th. Which is more than a month ago. "
You're guess is as good as mine. I don't think they're just sitting around doing nothing though. 

Take IGN for example. They have tons more people working for them than the GB crew does, but the amount of content both sites push out per day is relatively comparable. With the amount of people they have, there should be tons and tons of new content every single hour, but there isn't. They, like GB, also have people who do most of their news content. So what are the other editors doing? I would assume the other editors (in GB's case it would be Ryan, Jeff, and Brad) are busy making phone calls, emailing people, doing research (what game comes out when, whose suing who today, etc), playing games, planning trips, thinking up new ideas for the site, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I see how it looks like the Giant Bomb guys aren't doing much, but I'm willing to bet there's way more that goes into making this site tick than we know about.
#47 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6191 posts) -

Well with the new year there are many possibilities for new content to come. New unannounced intern, the question series returning, MOAR TANG, etc.

#48 Posted by Lufferov (43 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm: @blacklabeldomm said:
" When is the last time Vinny climbed a fridge?    I kinda see what you mean but now it's a bigger business and the crew has to maintain a schedule.... "
Sure I appreciate that, but my whole point is that those videos are what MADE Giant Bomb. Without them I just don't feel they have that magic ingredient. It's fine to grow and become profitable, but they shouldn't forget their roots. I like Giant Bomb now, but I loved it before when they were in the basement. The whole atmosphere changed dramatically after the move and it's never been the same since.
#49 Edited by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

God I love people who know nothing about video editing taking "guesses" on how long it takes to edit and compress video. 
I've been with this site a LONG time and I can say that there's waaaay more content now than almost any other time in the past. There aren't any games coming out in the Dec/Jan months, what do you expect of them? We still get a Bombcast that is well over two hours long every single week. We got well over nine hours of GOTY coverage in audio and video form. We've had a glut of Quick Looks lately. I don't see what the problem is. 
As for the "soul" of Giant Bomb? Exactly what are you talking about? They're still cussing up a storm and making hilariously off-color jokes and inside references every chance they can get. And yeah, maybe the DAII stuff was a little "product placement-y" but guess what? They gave away three copies of the game FOR FREE. All you needed to do was listen to less than 5 minutes of a podcast you were already listening to for a game you were probably already going to buy. 

#50 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@PrimeSynergy said:
" @CL60 said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:

" @ZombiePie said:

But what are they working on? All I'm seeing are quick looks(Which don't require a lot of editing) and trailers, which are just uploaded. The news is posted by Bodega, and Nicholson mostly, and TNTs are only on Thursdays, and the last review done by a staff member was on December 8th. Which is more than a month ago. "
You're guess is as good as mine. I don't think they're just sitting around doing nothing though.   Take IGN for example. They have tons more people working for them than the GB crew does, but the amount of content both sites push out per day is relatively comparable. With the amount of people they have, there should be tons and tons of new content every single hour, but there isn't. They, like GB, also have people who do most of their news content. So what are the other editors doing? I would assume the other editors (in GB's case it would be Ryan, Jeff, and Brad) are busy making phone calls, emailing people, doing research (what game comes out when, whose suing who today, etc), playing games, planning trips, thinking up new ideas for the site, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I see how it looks like the Giant Bomb guys aren't doing much, but I'm willing to bet there's way more that goes into making this site tick than we know about. "
True.